Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1229227 times)

babywantsbluevelvet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10650 on: December 07, 2021, 11:59:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Just replaced my Indy forged baseplates with the Indy IKP baseplates out of curiosity. Initial impressions are that I need to get used to a taller truck again and I hate not seeing the flush kingpin nut, but the turn feels so much deeper and sharper. I literally can’t wheelbite ~55mm conical fulls with what I believe to be medium-loose blue 92A cylinders and me being 165 lbs.

Does the Indy IKP baseplate actually change the turn relative to the standard baseplates? I know in my case I’m going from forged (53.5mm high) to IKP/cast (55mm high), so there’s no doubt a change there, but they feel more Ace-like now than I remember my old Indy standards feeling.
[close]

I feel like the inverted kingpin baseplate works the same way as the standard baseplate, the only difference being you can't easily see how far down the nut is, which is a bit weird, but I think they still turn the same overall.

If you do the inverted kingpin right up so it is as deep in as it can go, then turn a full turn back, that should be the same height as a nut flush with the top of a normal kingpin.

You might find the trucks are tighter than normal like that, or that they are looser right now than what you had them before, but it is crazy how much 1.5 mm height difference means to wheelbite, or lack of it.

Curious to hear how they feel, or how much you loosen them off from tight in as well, but I would also mark the kingpin heads (just a dot with a black marker or something on one side) and keep an eye on it to see if it loosens off by itself at all, as they are prone to do, so said a number of people I know.

Thanks for the info. I went very slightly looser than flush and skated them for a few sessions. The back truck stayed about the same, but doing slappy crooks repeatedly spun the front truck's inverted kingpin loose. I had a red curb paint mark as a reference and it would drift almost a half turn each session. Womp. Now I'm back on the forged plates and loving being back at 53.5mm, but feeling the cost in the turn and wheel bite departments. Truly a zero-sum game. 

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10651 on: December 07, 2021, 01:11:22 PM »
Email NHS they will send new plates or trucks.

This seems to occasionally happen with Lurpivs as well. I'm sort of baffled as to how since all these companies use the same nylock nuts. My hyptohesis is that a standard kingpin compresses the nut under load and keeps it from spinning, but in an inverted setup the bushing pulls against the kingpin and if the angle is right can put a counterclockwise radial force on it. If the nylock isn't "firm" enough them it will rotate.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #10652 on: December 07, 2021, 06:23:37 PM »
Email NHS they will send new plates or trucks.

This seems to occasionally happen with Lurpivs as well. I'm sort of baffled as to how since all these companies use the same nylock nuts. My hyptohesis is that a standard kingpin compresses the nut under load and keeps it from spinning, but in an inverted setup the bushing pulls against the kingpin and if the angle is right can put a counterclockwise radial force on it. If the nylock isn't "firm" enough them it will rotate.

I think it may be that in an ikp setup, the kingpin and hanger act as a lever on the nut. In a standard kp setup, the nut is on the short end of the lever, so the forces aren’t as big.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10653 on: December 07, 2021, 10:12:20 PM »
Much more elegant and better way of explaining what I was thinking, but that's what I was getting at. It seems like a problem you have bad or never have. Personally I might throw some blue loctite on rather than go through the hassle of getting new baseplates if it happens to my Mids, but they've been great.

Brak Sabbath

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10654 on: December 12, 2021, 04:55:35 PM »
Hardware store inverted kingpin experiment. Cheap, available, no shops around have the Krux kit. Used the thicker clay type JB Weld to hold the nut in the baseplate. The whole bolt wobbles slightly when turning the trucks by hand so it could be better but has been working fine for a month. Had a few sessions before filing the bolt head down. Ace 55 classics and stock bushings.

https://imgur.com/a/fCJlxsY

Halp how do I post a photo

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10655 on: December 13, 2021, 09:24:46 AM »
Hardware store inverted kingpin experiment. Cheap, available, no shops around have the Krux kit. Used the thicker clay type JB Weld to hold the nut in the baseplate. The whole bolt wobbles slightly when turning the trucks by hand so it could be better but has been working fine for a month. Had a few sessions before filing the bolt head down. Ace 55 classics and stock bushings.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #10656 on: December 14, 2021, 03:08:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha wow, you just elevated my Slap experience. Wasn't aware of this and always hosted elsewhere. Thanks for that.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #10657 on: December 14, 2021, 06:54:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Expand Quote

[close]

All this time I was living like a goddamn animal, copying links from Imgur and using brackets with [image]
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #10658 on: December 14, 2021, 09:11:12 AM »
Hey pals,  I am looking for new trucks to be skated street only, ledges, manuals, small stairs 5-6 and flat. I have a pair of film and they turn and grind great but i feel them a bit high for my short legs. I also have a pair of the old royal lows, but the kingpin is sticking out and sometimes i do have wheelbite (i am skating 53 wheels). I saw some good review on the new royals and now i am in dilema between thunder 147 and the royal 139 (may be the standart kingpin, coz if the inverted breaks i will not be able to find such kingpin to replace it) What would you suggest?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10659 on: December 14, 2021, 10:33:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

All this time I was living like a goddamn animal, copying links from Imgur and using brackets with [image]

Me until about a month ago….

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10660 on: December 14, 2021, 10:38:46 AM »
Hey pals,  I am looking for new trucks to be skated street only, ledges, manuals, small stairs 5-6 and flat. I have a pair of film and they turn and grind great but i feel them a bit high for my short legs. I also have a pair of the old royal lows, but the kingpin is sticking out and sometimes i do have wheelbite (i am skating 53 wheels). I saw some good review on the new royals and now i am in dilema between thunder 147 and the royal 139 (may be the standart kingpin, coz if the inverted breaks i will not be able to find such kingpin to replace it) What would you suggest?

Every single truck out there would work.

At 53mm wheel size (is that all you skate, all time?) I’d go for cast plates.

Question is do you like to turn, ride loose or tight?

Ride tight: venture or thunder
Loose: indy mids or forged, new royals (which can be had with standard pins).

Can’t go wrong with any of them.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #10661 on: December 14, 2021, 12:42:51 PM »
Thanks, Xen! I haven't skated thunders, but the team and the brand itself are dope. The specs look good except the kingpin clearance and the baseplate positioning. The royals look a bit more functional to me, 52 mm, good kingpin clearance and baseplate positioning, my only concern is the brand. I am used to slide with the baseplate. I have been mostly on ventures, but this year decided to try film and a homie gave me his royal lows. I was pleasantly surprised by the royals, coz i had 2 pairs in the early 2000s that broke quite fast. The lows are super for flip tricks and manuals. But as i said the kingpin is hanging a lot and i have to skate wheels smaller than 52, which i like but i usually buy wheels at 53-54 so i can skate them longer. Damn, i have to decide before the Christmas sales finish.

animalflesh

« Reply #10662 on: December 14, 2021, 04:05:23 PM »
Glass slipper setup

159 cast hollow
Bones mediums (black seem a little denser than white)
Riptide pivots
1/8 riser

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #10663 on: December 14, 2021, 04:07:31 PM »

Shoutout Riptide keeping our trucks from squeaking and also spreading holiday cheer

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #10664 on: December 14, 2021, 04:08:00 PM »
Glass slipper setup

159 cast hollow
Bones mediums (black seem a little denser than white)
Riptide pivots
1/8 riser

I thought that Coda series was pretty sweet. Reminds me of Redwall and shit

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10665 on: December 14, 2021, 04:41:57 PM »
Thanks, Xen! I haven't skated thunders, but the team and the brand itself are dope. The specs look good except the kingpin clearance and the baseplate positioning. The royals look a bit more functional to me, 52 mm, good kingpin clearance and baseplate positioning, my only concern is the brand. I am used to slide with the baseplate. I have been mostly on ventures, but this year decided to try film and a homie gave me his royal lows. I was pleasantly surprised by the royals, coz i had 2 pairs in the early 2000s that broke quite fast. The lows are super for flip tricks and manuals. But as i said the kingpin is hanging a lot and i have to skate wheels smaller than 52, which i like but i usually buy wheels at 53-54 so i can skate them longer. Damn, i have to decide before the Christmas sales finish.

I'm currently skating the new Royals (never skated the brand prior and I don't subscribe to brand loyalty but to does it meet my pre-reqs) and they're really doing it for me. Important to note that I've left them stock...and I tend to fuck with my truck setups usually.

I love Thunders for pop-feel and height and weight, but loathe the wheelbite I get (I ride loose). Indy/ACE/ML/THEEVE/Tensor ATGs...all turn great..some are heavier, some are too tall, etc., the royals, for me, combine everything I like: mid truck, low/light pop feel, pretty light for a 'standard' and stable like a thunder and venture but turn better....not as deep as ACE or as wide arcing as Indy but if you ever wanted a smoother thunder or a venture that turns instead of having to lean, you will be very surprised...

Also, zero QC issues. At all.

RE: the bones bushing 'denser' comment, FWIW, I've always felt that the black bushings were superior in terms of break-in, over all feel and longevity.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 06:22:20 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #10666 on: December 14, 2021, 10:15:35 PM »
Did you fall out of love with mini logos? 

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10667 on: December 14, 2021, 10:34:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm currently skating the new Royals (never skated the brand prior and I don't subscribe to brand loyalty but to does it meet my pre-reqs) and they're really doing it for me. Important to note that I've left them stock...and I tend to fuck with my truck setups usually.

I love Thunders for pop-feel and height and weight, but loathe the wheelbite I get (I ride loose). Indy/ACE/ML/THEEVE/Tensor ATGs...all turn great..some are heavier, some are too tall, etc., the royals, for me, combine everything I like: mid truck, low/light pop feel, pretty light for a 'standard' and stable like a thunder and venture but turn better....not as deep as ACE or as wide arcing as Indy but if you ever wanted a smoother thunder or a venture that turns instead of having to lean, you will be very surprised...

Also, zero QC issues. At all.

RE: the bones bushing 'denser' comment, FWIW, I've always felt that the black bushings were superior in terms of break-in, over all feel and longevity.

OK wheelbite wasn't just me then even on my 51mm wheels. Everything else about the trucks are great, really impressed with the turn and pop feel.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #10668 on: December 17, 2021, 03:54:58 AM »
Anybody ever used a torque wrench for tightening the trucks? What id the order of magnitude of moment which is typical for tightening a kingpin? I am thinking of buying a wrench but I don't know the Nm range which would be suitable. I touched my kingpin and now I can't get my trucks feeling equal again (especially when they harden up a bit in cold weather) and it drives me insane and this might give me peace of mind.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #10669 on: December 17, 2021, 07:56:45 AM »
Anybody ever used a torque wrench for tightening the trucks? What id the order of magnitude of moment which is typical for tightening a kingpin? I am thinking of buying a wrench but I don't know the Nm range which would be suitable. I touched my kingpin and now I can't get my trucks feeling equal again (especially when they harden up a bit in cold weather) and it drives me insane and this might give me peace of mind.

It couldn’t hurt to establish a baseline, but my feeling is that the bushings distort and change the feel of trucks so quickly that the measurements might not be useful for long.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

mzlzzz

• Rep: 3
« Reply #10670 on: December 17, 2021, 08:09:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It couldn’t hurt to establish a baseline, but my feeling is that the bushings distort and change the feel of trucks so quickly that the measurements might not be useful for long.

since you have two factors contributing to the amount of force to turn the nut, you will likely not get meaningful results out of the repeatability offered.

1. On a conventional kingpin, damaged threads will require more force to turn the nut
2. Over time the bushings will deteriorate. When using the torque wrench, the reaction force from this will result in repeatable reads on the wrench, but this is also misleading because it is a Static event. If there are tears in the bushing, the force it can return to the hangar will vary due to the change in structure. The turn/lean is a dynamic event and the bushing may behave differently in a turn, even if it is subject to the same amount of dynamic compression indicated by the torque wrench.

The best way to get consistency out of trucks to skate stuff that is new, and set up the same way.

One thing I've found that really speeds this up, to where the truck feels identical to the previous broken in pair, is to disassemble the truck, clean all of the parts of the manufacturing lubricant, and reassemble with whatever you want.

I would also recommend doing this to replacement urethane bushings to remove the mold-release agent.

Cheers

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #10671 on: December 17, 2021, 09:09:53 AM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Thanks for the explanation. The dynamic of the process and bushing detoration sounds very reasonable. Just want to clarify that I am not looking for 2 different pair of trucks feeling identical but for equalizing 2 trucks of the same pair because I ride twin tails. By loosening the trucks I fucked up the symmetry in turn and I am unable to reestablish that. I guess I have to bite the bullet and buy a new pair of bushings instead of a 100 euro wrench.

On second thoughts, if I read your post right, I could justify buying both if I additionally buy a new kingpin (even better an inverted one as an investment in the future), to establish an identical starting point for both trucks with new bushings^^

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #10672 on: December 17, 2021, 09:19:13 AM »
Random german skateshop just hit me with the most amazing product for inverted kingpins. Anybody have it already?

https://www.skateshop24.de/10-reverse-kingpin-nuts-14mm-fixed-14

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #10673 on: December 17, 2021, 09:23:46 AM »
Random german skateshop just hit me with the most amazing product for inverted kingpins. Anybody have it already?

It took me about 15 minutes to understand what these were. I felt very stupid.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10674 on: December 17, 2021, 09:25:34 AM »
Someone explain this to my friend, who totally isn't me.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10675 on: December 17, 2021, 09:30:54 AM »

You hammer it in like a normal kingpin, but it's just a nut that holds your inverse kingpin.

No need for jb weld or any of that. It's basically like the "shaft nut" in indy mids
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 10:30:03 AM by goodatmeth »

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #10676 on: December 17, 2021, 11:07:40 AM »

Woah. Wonder if these could be found in the US at the hardware store? But how can they be hammered in without damaging the end of the nut....

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10677 on: December 17, 2021, 11:09:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You hammer it in like a normal kingpin, but it's just a nut that holds your inverse kingpin.

No need for jb weld or any of that. It's basically like the "shaft nut" in indy mids
[close]

Wouldn't you have to bore the baseplate hole out, or use a shouldered bolt like Lurpiv trucks do? I don't see how it's possible as the threads of a kingpin are fairly flush when sitting in the baseplate hole. There's no room for extra material. No?

You are absolutely right and now I'm really confused

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #10678 on: December 17, 2021, 12:20:06 PM »

This shop (actually, mailorder with pickup option) is a five min bike ride from where I live. And I have a set of 169s with loose kingpins I could try these things out on. Will report back if I go for it.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10679 on: December 17, 2021, 04:51:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Wouldn't you have to bore the baseplate hole out, or use a shouldered bolt like Lurpiv trucks do? I don't see how it's possible as the threads of a kingpin are fairly flush when sitting in the baseplate hole. There's no room for extra material. No?

Yes I thought the same thing.

I had seen them before when looking at generic hardware options for boxes of axle and kingpin nuts, but in looking at the Indy reverse kingpin, the hole is larger than a normal kingpin hole, so I didn't go past just looking at the shape of them.

Always curious though, so if anyone wanted to get them and let everyone else know, that would be a good starting point.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.