Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1230955 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 846
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10890 on: February 22, 2022, 02:03:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Venture Hi's are the answer for anyone with gear madness that hates the average kingpin clearance of most trucks. The yoke also sits tucked behind the baseplate which no other truck design has. Dial in the bushings and pair them with a shorter wheelbase board and they're definitely plenty turny. I've still gone back to Ace and even vintage Indy's with little to no kingpin clearance but at the end of the day Ventures are like the least truck you need to mess around with to check all the boxes in terms of function, design, and durability.
[close]

Then why do 95% of people on here replace the top washer and fuck with the bushings? Don’t get me wrong I think Ventures turn and do everything fine, but they do crumble top bushings faster with the stock washer due to how it digs into the bushings and hanger.
[close]
Because those people are not indicative of venture riders as a whole. They’re freaks that blame their equipment for their lack of skill.
[close]

I know some pretty good skaters that rock Ventures and can’t think of one that has the stock washers and bushings in, mostly because the top ones often shred.

I have 6 pairs of ventures and none of them have a shredded top bushing. Your ranting is literally the first time I've even heard anyone complain about it. Do you see it happen with any other major truck brands like indy, thunder, or ace?

In my experience people usually swap venture bushings because they're quite a bit harder (94a) than stock bushings from other major retailers which are almost always 90a. Hence them being "stiff feeling" and the infinite "ventures don't turn because they don't flop over like my indys" threads here.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10891 on: February 22, 2022, 03:14:49 AM »
venture stock bushings are 90a
agree with everything else though
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10892 on: February 22, 2022, 07:15:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Venture Hi's are the answer for anyone with gear madness that hates the average kingpin clearance of most trucks. The yoke also sits tucked behind the baseplate which no other truck design has. Dial in the bushings and pair them with a shorter wheelbase board and they're definitely plenty turny. I've still gone back to Ace and even vintage Indy's with little to no kingpin clearance but at the end of the day Ventures are like the least truck you need to mess around with to check all the boxes in terms of function, design, and durability.
[close]

Then why do 95% of people on here replace the top washer and fuck with the bushings? Don’t get me wrong I think Ventures turn and do everything fine, but they do crumble top bushings faster with the stock washer due to how it digs into the bushings and hanger.
[close]
Because those people are not indicative of venture riders as a whole. They’re freaks that blame their equipment for their lack of skill.
[close]

I know some pretty good skaters that rock Ventures and can’t think of one that has the stock washers and bushings in, mostly because the top ones often shred.
[close]

I have 6 pairs of ventures and none of them have a shredded top bushing. Your ranting is literally the first time I've even heard anyone complain about it. Do you see it happen with any other major truck brands like indy, thunder, or ace?

In my experience people usually swap venture bushings because they're quite a bit harder (94a) than stock bushings from other major retailers which are almost always 90a. Hence them being "stiff feeling" and the infinite "ventures don't turn because they don't flop over like my indys" threads here.

Hey sorry you perceive it as ranting. I’ll honestly bring up the worst thing about any truck as they all have flaws.

The only time I have seen the bushings crumble on another brand of trucks is a friend’s AF1’s. I did think it was happening on my Indy’s, but when I removed the washer it looks as if the bushing is still whole it just shaved a bit off because the aftermarket replacement washers are smaller. I was using Indy aftermarket bushings in the past as they seemed to break in better but the new stocks are great.

On Venture it seems fairly common because the washer hits the hanger and puts a lot of stress on the top bushing. You can see the washer marks if people keep the stock washer. I have gotten the same marks on Thunders but never had the bushings split or anything although I seem to be the rare person that really likes Thunder bushings. I think Venture stock bushings are actually great. I would gladly rock them purple ones in Indys and make peoples heads explode.

I still think Ventures are solid trucks. I really like a lot of things about them personally minus the pop feel on the size board I currently ride.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10893 on: February 22, 2022, 09:14:44 AM »
You may just be a shredder……

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #10894 on: February 22, 2022, 09:51:49 AM »
If I skate stock venture bushings with a bones flat top washer I have to replace the top bushings about every two months, doesn't happen with any other truck/bushing. I know a few others that run into this problem too albeit not as badly as me. Its definitely a thing.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #10895 on: February 22, 2022, 09:59:22 AM »
I’ve long been a proponent of the flat top washer WHEN people complain about the turn/need more turn. Just riding mine stock, dramatically increases the life of the bushings. Plus some people that know how to skateboard have told me that it helps their pinch (stock top washer). I would not know, because I can’t pinch …shit.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #10896 on: February 23, 2022, 12:27:12 PM »
I’ve long been a proponent of the flat top washer WHEN people complain about the turn/need more turn. Just riding mine stock, dramatically increases the life of the bushings. Plus some people that know how to skateboard have told me that it helps their pinch (stock top washer). I would not know, because I can’t pinch …shit.

In my experience (keep in mind the fact that I ride 55mm square wheels and high trucks - trash for pinch objectively) I found the opposite. I felt that in warm temperatures the venture stock setup would pinch well and offer good pop out of crooks too, given the stock washer gives it that extra little rebound to snap back in place.

Actually surprised me how good they felt on crooks (I mean you'd have to consider the longer WB gives better pinch too right)

In cold weather (less than 6-7 degrees C, id say), I find that the hardening of the bushing exaggerates that effect for pinchy tricks and it's a lot harder to to get into a solid pinch and hold it; its as if the truck is pushing you off and this leads to willies and coming out of crooks to noseslides.

The only way I've found to solve this is to use ace low bushings since they dont freeze untill negative temperatures, but unfortunately I have no access to those atm. Rn to combat this issue im just using 78a indy bottom bushings and a 78a top bushing (shaved down to venture top bushing height) for my front truck. This isn't working as well as i'd like however since indy bushings freeze to fuck around 6-7 degrees too.

Guess ill just wait for spring  -_-

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #10897 on: February 23, 2022, 12:32:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In my experience (keep in mind the fact that I ride 55mm square wheels and high trucks - trash for pinch objectively) I found the opposite. I felt that in warm temperatures the venture stock setup would pinch well and offer good pop out of crooks too, given the stock washer gives it that extra little rebound to snap back in place.

Actually surprised me how good they felt on crooks (I mean you'd have to consider the longer WB gives better pinch too right)

In cold weather (less than 6-7 degrees C, id say), I find that the hardening of the bushing exaggerates that effect for pinchy tricks and it's a lot harder to to get into a solid pinch and hold it; its as if the truck is pushing you off and this leads to willies and coming out of crooks to noseslides.

The only way I've found to solve this is to use ace low bushings since they dont freeze untill negative temperatures, but unfortunately I have no access to those atm. Rn to combat this issue im just using 78a indy bottom bushings and a 78a top bushing (shaved down to venture top bushing height) for my front truck. This isn't working as well as i'd like however since indy bushings freeze to fuck around 6-7 degrees too.

I’m sure my little ramble wasn’t helpful: I was trying to say that the stock set up pinches well/turns well enough, and that the bushing last the longest.
Bones bushing do for ventures pretty well, imo. I prefer the hard bushings, loosened up.

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #10898 on: February 23, 2022, 12:35:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’m sure my little ramble wasn’t helpful: I was trying to say that the stock set up pinches well/turns well enough, and that the bushing last the longest.
Bones bushing do for ventures pretty well, imo. I prefer the hard bushings, loosened up.

oh no! I meant to support your post. I definitely think that stock setups are proper for good temps, but in some situations shit works really bad; Im in Canada so of course I have cold problems haha but in spring and summer I always rock stock! I find that it's enough turn for me especially in the +25C summers we have here. I will also say in my experience keeping shit stock definitely increases the life of bushings

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10899 on: February 23, 2022, 04:46:40 PM »

They're not. They're around 94a. I emailed them about this around 2 years ago. I can find it and post the response if you want.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10900 on: February 23, 2022, 04:52:36 PM »
 ???
If I skate stock venture bushings with a bones flat top washer I have to replace the top bushings about every two months, doesn't happen with any other truck/bushing. I know a few others that run into this problem too albeit not as badly as me. Its definitely a thing.

I'm going to guess it's something with the flat washer then because I've literally never seen it on stock washers and I've got or had almost every venture iteration spanning from 95 onward. The stock washers on the early 5.8 raws sometimes cut into the side if the edge is burred but I've never seen one crumble. Maybe you're compressing it differently than its designed to be or something.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10901 on: February 23, 2022, 04:59:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Can you get riptide or venom shit up there? I have a set of 92a from one of the longboard companies that barely change unless it's cold enough that it freezes the pivots in place. I'm sure they have an 87a-ish formula option as well that would be closer to the aces. You can even get small barrels which are probably similar size to the ace low bottom, or you can do what I did and just get shave them down until you get to the desired height.

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #10902 on: February 23, 2022, 05:09:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Can you get riptide or venom shit up there? I have a set of 92a from one of the longboard companies that barely change unless it's cold enough that it freezes the pivots in place. I'm sure they have an 87a-ish formula option as well that would be closer to the aces. You can even get small barrels which are probably similar size to the ace low bottom, or you can do what I did and just get shave them down until you get to the desired height.

oh nah we can get all kinds of shit up here its just a lot of shit is outta stock atm. I guess people buy up that kinda shit fast. I was looking into those venom SHR bushings (i think thats what theyre called) but idk man might as well just tolerate this who cares anyway fuck turning fuck winter

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10903 on: February 23, 2022, 08:29:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're not. They're around 94a. I emailed them about this around 2 years ago. I can find it and post the response if you want.

I think they might have changed it up since then.

Some of the older Ventures I had were definitely much harder bushings, compared to the newer ones and were night and day when skating the same setup with the different bushings last month. 

The result was about the same using the pliers squeeze test on the old bushings which definitely feel more like the Thunder 95 duro aftermarket blues, with the new ones feeling the same as stock Thunder and aftermarket 90 duro bushings from other brands too.

I tried looking for info as I seem to recall someone asking not that long ago and the reply was they are all 90 duro now on the DLX account or might have even been Venture account.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #10904 on: February 23, 2022, 08:31:17 PM »

…so who’s gonna be the first person to try this?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #10905 on: February 23, 2022, 09:03:25 PM »
I'm gonna stick to waxing my wheel wells when necessary

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #10906 on: February 23, 2022, 09:47:51 PM »
What's with putting a 1/2 of a riser under the nose/tail-side bolts?

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #10907 on: February 23, 2022, 09:58:25 PM »

i don't know their thoughts on it but its moving the wheel base in a tiny bit.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10908 on: February 23, 2022, 10:00:51 PM »

To change the angle of the trucks, so they turn even more or less than normal.

Wedge risers are used by a lot of people in surf / skate type boards, to really get a lot more turn out of whatever trucks they are using.

I am not into longboards or those surf / skate type boards so was going to look up a video, but this came up as the first thing, which describes it better:

Adding wedge risers changes the angle of the kingpin and the pivot point, which means that you can increase or decrease how much your trucks turn depending on which direction you face the angled risers. To increase your turn capability, install the wedge risers so the thick part is closer to the center of the board.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
« Reply #10909 on: February 24, 2022, 02:19:50 AM »
yo i have a question

my girlfriend skates 147 thunders (team, not hollow or anything) and her bushings blew out or something. idk what happened exactly but the thing is that they don't turn. she wants to switch the bushings out but aftermarket thunder bushings are hardly available in poland. the other options are independent and bones bushings. i'm guessing that independent bushings won't fit but what about the bones?
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10910 on: February 24, 2022, 03:09:14 AM »
yo i have a question

my girlfriend skates 147 thunders (team, not hollow or anything) and her bushings blew out or something. idk what happened exactly but the thing is that they don't turn. she wants to switch the bushings out but aftermarket thunder bushings are hardly available in poland. the other options are independent and bones bushings. i'm guessing that independent bushings won't fit but what about the bones?

Indy bushings still fit just as easily in any trucks.

There are cylinder and conical so I would recommend the conical versions, probably the 90 duro orange ones, more than anything else.

I like to cut the tops down a bit just to have the kingpin nut sit a bit lower, but that is just me.

Bones work just as well too (only they blow out faster), but are sometimes better for lighter people who do want more turn so the mediums would be best.

If the stock Thunder bushings were too hard or didn't allow for enough turn, you can try cutting the tops down a mm or two at the most and trying them as is again.

Most bushings are still not too bad, even if parts of them start to break on the outside, they are often still ok on the inside areas and will usually end up feeling softer and more easy on the turn too.

With any bushings, you can run them exactly as per factory settings, or you can take out the bottom washer to really make them turn more (and costs nothing to experiment) before buying any new ones.

I would be inclined to have a good look at them first, before just going out and buying more, but that is just me.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 03:49:05 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10911 on: February 24, 2022, 03:37:47 AM »

Right now I am not able to go get pics of parts, but I have everything like that set up on something, so I just looked up some pics and sure enough, there are plenty online to choose from.

These pics show Thunder trucks with stock bushings that although they might look like they have issues, they are perfectly fine and will still skate ok for a while yet, as per some sets from people who thought they were done, but I have had them on boards that worked perfectly well for as long as I have had them set up.

Then here is a pic of someone with Bones medium bushings on Thunder trucks, just to show you - top washer is optional, as is the flat black washer they come with.  Then below that is the most common issue with Bones bushings, where the harder plastic core and the white bushing separate and then the bushing is usually pretty much done.

Putting on a normal washer (like the first pic) can actually help prevent this, as well as make them last a little longer, but if it completely comes apart, then there is not a whole lot supporting the trucks, which will give an almost jiggly loose feel.

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10912 on: February 24, 2022, 04:34:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Right now I am not able to go get pics of parts, but I have everything like that set up on something, so I just looked up some pics and sure enough, there are plenty online to choose from.

These pics show Thunder trucks with stock bushings that although they might look like they have issues, they are perfectly fine and will still skate ok for a while yet, as per some sets from people who thought they were done, but I have had them on boards that worked perfectly well for as long as I have had them set up.

Then here is a pic of someone with Bones medium bushings on Thunder trucks, just to show you - top washer is optional, as is the flat black washer they come with.  Then below that is the most common issue with Bones bushings, where the harder plastic core and the white bushing separate and then the bushing is usually pretty much done.

Putting on a normal washer (like the first pic) can actually help prevent this, as well as make them last a little longer, but if it completely comes apart, then there is not a whole lot supporting the trucks, which will give an almost jiggly loose feel.

oh she's very light, her weight is around 40kg, give or take. i loosened her trucks a lot but they still didn't turn, i had to lean really hard to get the board to turn and it barely did and i weigh twice as much. i've been on aces for about 4 years now but before that i skated thunders for about 4 years too and had no problem with turning so there's definitely something wrong with the bushings. i think we might go with the bones, we're going to keep the old stock washers on there and they should be good to go.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10913 on: February 24, 2022, 07:38:15 AM »
Get aftermarket soft Thunder bushings, 2 sets, and use only the tops like Ishod. Id use a top washer on the bottom or no washer. If they don’t turn after that, then maybe try Bones soft.

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10914 on: February 24, 2022, 08:19:53 AM »
Get aftermarket soft Thunder bushings, 2 sets, and use only the tops like Ishod. Id use a top washer on the bottom or no washer. If they don’t turn after that, then maybe try Bones soft.

thunder bushings would be my first choice obviously but as i stated in my first post they are hard to find where i live, whereas the bones or the indys are available at my local skate shop
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #10915 on: February 24, 2022, 08:25:55 AM »
I found Krux bushings hold up better than the stock thunder ones, especially in the cold. Both Thunder and Krux bottom bushings are the same height so it won't mess with your geometry.  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10916 on: February 24, 2022, 09:48:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

thunder bushings would be my first choice obviously but as i stated in my first post they are hard to find where i live, whereas the bones or the indys are available at my local skate shop

Sorry, I didn't catch that. In that case I would do something similar with Indy softs or Bones softs. Honestly though I would keep a curved stock washer as it mildly helps prevent wheelbite with Thunder

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #10917 on: February 24, 2022, 10:04:11 AM »
broken stock bushing is part of the thunder aesthetic

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10918 on: February 24, 2022, 10:13:18 AM »
Facts…what’s next, complaining about Indy stock bushings? 

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10919 on: February 25, 2022, 02:56:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sorry, I didn't catch that. In that case I would do something similar with Indy softs or Bones softs. Honestly though I would keep a curved stock washer as it mildly helps prevent wheelbite with Thunder

yeah, i think we will keep both stock washers with those bones bushings, especially if that might prevent them from blowing out like @Mbrimson88 said. wheelbite isn't really an issue for her because of her weight but i don't want the bushings to break too soon.

she bought the mediums instead because a friend had the softs and the plastic piece fell into the bushing after like a month of skating, he didn't use washers though. i pressed them in with my finger and the mediums still feel decently soft, definitely softer than the orange indys.

I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate