Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231582 times)

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10980 on: March 10, 2022, 02:27:22 PM »
Have any of y’all gear nerds ever frankentrucked an Ace plate and Thunder hanger?

Just tried. 161’s/55 classics. Short answer is it will bolt together with stock ace bushings, but I would expect pivot or pivot cup issues eventually. Ace pivot and cup are bigger, but a Thunder pivot will fit an Ace cup and Thunder cup will fit an Ace baseplate. An Ace pivot will not work in a Thunder cup. Clearance is meh. Pivot engagement is iffy. Essentially, you’d want only half of a bottom bushing for full pivot engagement with the kingpin centered in the yoke. Conversely, an Ace hanger on a Thunder base doesn’t work very well - would want about a 1” bottom bushing.

Note: I was able to force a Thunder pivot cup onto an Ace hangar, but only while not in a baseplate. Thunder cups are harder than Ace too, fwiw.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 02:39:39 PM by beandemon »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10981 on: March 11, 2022, 10:58:15 PM »

Cthunderw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #10982 on: March 11, 2022, 11:04:23 PM »

I think SLAP is going to have a meltdown.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #10983 on: March 11, 2022, 11:59:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I think SLAP is going to have a meltdown.

I spent my Friday night listening to an hour+ of content on trucks, no way better to spend it

But no surprises here. Ben’s always been a indy guy

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #10984 on: March 12, 2022, 01:50:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I think SLAP is going to have a meltdown. collective orgasm
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Spirit

• Rep: -20
  • Personal Text
« Reply #10985 on: March 12, 2022, 03:10:18 AM »
Heya

I'm a big dude (6'3, 220-240lbs) and I now finally have some disposable income to buy proper trucks. Got the degree, found a decent job, all that fun stuff.
I never really had any specific requirements for trucks, mainly because I could only skate the cheapest garbage I could get my hands on like Silvers and Theeves. I currently have the basic Ace model, but I already had to change out the bushings twice, as I have it on the tightest to avoid wheel bites. I like the way they feel and I would like to keep something similar even though the good turning is a bit counter-intuitive in my case.
I mainly skate flat and am working on my ledge game.

I ride an 8.5 and just grab any wheels that I can get my hands on for cheap, currently some 55s I think.
Forgot to mention that I am based in EU (Czechia), so any US specific brands are a no-go
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 03:18:09 AM by Spirit »

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #10986 on: March 12, 2022, 03:20:50 AM »
Heya

I'm a big dude (6'3, 220-240lbs) and I now finally have some disposable income to buy proper trucks. Got the degree, found a decent job, all that fun stuff.
I never really had any specific requirements for trucks, mainly because I could only skate the cheapest garbage I could get my hands on like Silvers and Theeves. I currently have the basic Ace model, but I already had to change out the bushings twice, as I have it on the tightest to avoid wheel bites. I like the way they feel and I would like to keep something similar even though the good turning is a bit counter-intuitive in my case.

I ride an 8.5 and just grab any wheels that I can get my hands on for cheap, currently some 55s I think.
Forgot to mention that I am based in EU (Czechia), so any US specific brands are a no-go
Venture 5.8 highs if you like tighter trucks and skate ledge and flat ground.

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #10987 on: March 12, 2022, 04:24:37 AM »
Heya

Maybe Independent standards 144/149 or Film 5.5 (French brand so usually cheapest in EU). They are the highest trucks I know at 55mm, it should help you with wheelbites. You could also try some hard bushings, risers, or smaller wheels (50/52mm).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 04:48:02 AM by Solex »

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #10988 on: March 12, 2022, 07:03:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I was so stoked I watched the whole thing in bed.  Gifted Hater was way too lenient on the Krux K4, probably because he hasn't ridden them. Oh man, they did Tensor ATGs dirty!
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10989 on: March 12, 2022, 08:27:14 AM »
I mean they are Tensors, what did you expect

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #10990 on: March 12, 2022, 09:01:26 AM »
I mean they are Tensors, what did you expect

They skate really well until the axles bend after a month.  :-\
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #10991 on: March 12, 2022, 11:03:51 AM »
I’ve got some Indy Forged Hollow 149s with a 1/8” riser on my cruiser/curb setup and they’ve got a couple months left, I’m deep into axle on the rear and just hitting on the front.

Thinking about moving over to Ace AF1s, and sizing up to 66s. Will I still need a riser with 58mm wheels? I know the aces are taller just not sure how much.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #10992 on: March 12, 2022, 11:09:04 AM »
I’ve got some Indy Forged Hollow 149s with a 1/8” riser on my cruiser/curb setup and they’ve got a couple months left, I’m deep into axle on the rear and just hitting on the front.

Thinking about moving over to Ace AF1s, and sizing up to 66s. Will I still need a riser with 58mm wheels? I know the aces are taller just not sure how much.

Ace AF1s are .5mm lower  (53mm) than Indy Forged (53.5mm).    I would still run a 1/8th on them to use 58s.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #10993 on: March 12, 2022, 11:19:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ace AF1s are .5mm lower  (53mm) than Indy Forged (53.5mm).    I would still run a 1/8th on them to use 58s.

Oh shit, thanks. I must be thinking of the classics?

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10994 on: March 12, 2022, 11:25:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Oh shit, thanks. I must be thinking of the classics?
I run 56 with no problems so can't see 2mm being that much different

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #10995 on: March 12, 2022, 02:26:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

I was so stoked I watched the whole thing in bed.  Gifted Hater was way too lenient on the Krux K4, probably because he hasn't ridden them. Oh man, they did Tensor ATGs dirty!

They did Destructo real dirty, in my opinion. I think I know what Ben’s talking about with the stock bushings. The ones that came with mine are not the Destructo-branded ones they sell aftermarket, but they’re bouncy and I really like leaning hard into turns with a big, chunky wheel on them (currently have 56mm radial fulls and it’s a great combo). I used a low-profile nut to get them a little looser, but they have soft bushings available, and they even give you the choice of medium or soft when you order now. They could probably extend the kingpin a couple mm and solve it all since there’s so much clearance, but I think Destructo D1 mids are great trucks for the price.

I don’t share the same feeling about the extra tall Squadron model. The casting on the hanger was terrible. Had to file a bunch of metal off where the axle meets the hanger just to get some wheels all the way on, and even still, there’s a bunch of slop on the hanger ends that don’t allow the washers to sit straight. Ended up just getting some Indy 159 hollows and put the Squadrons straight in the donation box without even mounting them.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #10996 on: March 12, 2022, 07:00:34 PM »
Oh…..the injustice of it all….

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #10997 on: March 12, 2022, 07:17:38 PM »
Yeah, D1 mids are really good, I rode one set of magplate and short hollow pin and one with just the hollow pin.
They all axle slipped though, but I had skated them for 9 months to a year or something, so it wasn't that bad.

lurkpiv

• Rep: 4
« Reply #10998 on: March 12, 2022, 07:48:35 PM »
Can someone explain why it’s often recommended to remove the bottom bushing washer to improve turn?

Seems like it would change the geometry in the opposite direction for improved turn if you think about the angle to the pivot cup.

Is it just an easy way to get looser trucks?

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #10999 on: March 13, 2022, 08:35:39 AM »
Can someone explain why it’s often recommended to remove the bottom bushing washer to improve turn?

Seems like it would change the geometry in the opposite direction for improved turn if you think about the angle to the pivot cup.

Is it just an easy way to get looser trucks?

Mainly, yes. With no washer, there’s nothing really restricting the action of the bushing other than the little bit of baseplate sitting under it. It does change the geometry, but most of the turn action is on that deckside bushing, so the slight change to the pivot angle wouldn’t have any noticeable counter effect, in my opinion. You can try to find a taller bushing (like an Ace or longboard barrel) and shave 1-2 mm, but honestly, I would just switch to flat washers before I completely removed them. Similar effect (not nearly to the same degree) but doesn’t change the geo and will help the bushings last longer for sure.

I’m not a super loose trucks guy, though. I stay somewhere in the middle.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11000 on: March 13, 2022, 09:31:43 AM »
I’m curious after watching part of that Gifted Hater truck video:

For trucks like Indy which have several height and weight options do people really notice that big of a difference? Hollows seem Barry lighter than standards but are in a different tier. And Ti aren’t different than forged hollow, but like 35g lighter a piece than standard hollows but same ranking? Then you have Thunders, which in Team versions weigh the same as Indy Forged Hollow and same WB but people say feel soooo much lighter.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #11001 on: March 13, 2022, 09:32:42 AM »
Lurkpiv...lol nice. No bottom washer on any truck feels like shit. There needs to something there for it to rebound back to center. Otherwise it makes the turn feel dead and floppy, does a disservice to Ace's for sure.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #11002 on: March 13, 2022, 11:17:42 AM »
Is it normal for indys to be rather unstable? Say you drop a steep bank, and in the transition from bank to flat, they get very squirly when they get alot of load under them. While with my Thunders, its no problem

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11003 on: March 13, 2022, 11:38:56 AM »
They can be, but i think it's more about getting used to it. Had first session with Ace after skating Krux and at first it was so unstable but after couple hours i almost prefer that.

nekro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #11004 on: March 13, 2022, 12:10:56 PM »
Is it normal for indys to be rather unstable? Say you drop a steep bank, and in the transition from bank to flat, they get very squirly when they get alot of load under them. While with my Thunders, its no problem

I find exactly the same. I've got hard brushing in both my mind's and thunders but indys feel way more unstable.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #11005 on: March 13, 2022, 12:28:28 PM »

This is the exact reason why I dislike Indys, they feel steady on flat but that transition it almost feels like a quick speed wobble.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #11006 on: March 13, 2022, 03:27:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is the exact reason why I dislike Indys, they feel steady on flat but that transition it almost feels like a quick speed wobble.

For me I’ve noticed I can’t really skate transition comfortably on any truck besides Indy. I kind of need that looseness/speed wobble

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #11007 on: March 13, 2022, 03:32:35 PM »

For trucks like Indy which have several height and weight options do people really notice that big of a difference? Hollows seem Barry lighter than standards but are in a different tier. And Ti aren’t different than forged hollow, but like 35g lighter a piece than standard hollows but same ranking? Then you have Thunders, which in Team versions weigh the same as Indy Forged Hollow and same WB but people say feel soooo much lighter.

The height is much more noticeable to me than the weight. I have titanium 159s and I use a riser pad so that they’re roughly the same height as Indy Standards.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

lurkpiv

• Rep: 4
« Reply #11008 on: March 13, 2022, 05:52:41 PM »
Lurkpiv...lol nice. No bottom washer on any truck feels like shit. There needs to something there for it to rebound back to center. Otherwise it makes the turn feel dead and floppy, does a disservice to Ace's for sure.

I tried it recently on some Indys and yeah, you nailed it. Felt dead and didn’t rebound well. Not responsive at all. I immediately threw the bottoms back on.

I’ve been running without top washers because the aftermarket indy bushings I got (mediums) felt more stiff than the dying stock ones I had, and I wasn’t able to run them loose enough with both washers on without having the nut halfway off.

Stock Indys are usually my happy place.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11009 on: March 13, 2022, 06:32:41 PM »

With Standard Indy <-> Ti you can tell the difference.

Standard Indy to Hollow, slight difference in hand but on board most would be hard pressed ot t
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

He's a dude that likes Krux marketing, he's giving them a break (same reason his Lurpiv review wasn't so harsh). While I appreciate what Krux do for communities, they're marketing isn't for me; which is fine, they've finally found their niche and are rolling with it.