Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232484 times)

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11070 on: March 20, 2022, 07:06:31 PM »
I don't wanna get anyone in trouble so I'll just say a well-known person in the NHS camp relocated in recent years near me and told a good friend of mine that Indy is coming out with a stage 12 soon.
do you have anything else to back this up? the shop has got... a large number of $ of indy inventory right now

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11071 on: March 20, 2022, 07:20:11 PM »
Not sure if they can do any better than engineering a mid truck……

Frank and Fred

« Reply #11072 on: March 20, 2022, 07:28:22 PM »
A new stage always drags me back to Indy. I just can't help myself. I've had at least one pair of every stage Indy except 1 and 3.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11073 on: March 20, 2022, 10:33:50 PM »
Nothing better than trusting complete stranger on internet

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #11074 on: March 21, 2022, 03:29:25 AM »
Indy Titaniums broke on me in the middle of the 50-50. I think ive skated these 5 times:

Already sent a warranty request. Swapped to some Thunder Hollow Lights to give them a shot.
Mmm...feels strange for something suppsed to be made of...titanium...

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #11075 on: March 21, 2022, 08:42:57 AM »
Expand Quote
I don't wanna get anyone in trouble so I'll just say a well-known person in the NHS camp relocated in recent years near me and told a good friend of mine that Indy is coming out with a stage 12 soon.
[close]
do you have anything else to back this up? the shop has got... a large number of $ of indy inventory right now

That's all the info I have. He's someone who co-owns a green themed board company on NHS and I doubt he'd say it if it wasn't true. Still take it with a grain of salt in terms of when it will hit the market, though.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #11076 on: March 21, 2022, 09:48:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

That's all the info I have. He's someone who co-owns a green themed board company on NHS and I doubt he'd say it if it wasn't true. Still take it with a grain of salt in terms of when it will hit the market, though.

NHS isn't known for having the most shop-friendly business practices, so it wouldn't be shocking if they dropped a Stage XII without enough warning for shops to clear out their old Stage IVs.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Frank and Fred

« Reply #11077 on: March 21, 2022, 09:57:24 AM »
Stage 12s are probably a way out but this has been one of the longest gaps between stages, so they are due. But, what can they really do at this point that people really want?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #11078 on: March 21, 2022, 10:00:28 AM »
Indy Titaniums broke on me in the middle of the 50-50. I think ive skated these 5 times:

Already sent a warranty request. Swapped to some Thunder Hollow Lights to give them a shot.

See if a magnet sticks to it. Titanium should not be magnetic. If it’s steel. A magnet will stick. But titanium can be pretty brittle. Usually harder metals are stronger but more brittle.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11079 on: March 21, 2022, 10:13:08 AM »
Stage 12s are probably a way out but this has been one of the longest gaps between stages, so they are due. But, what can they really do at this point that people really want?

Honestly this is my question. It’s pretty much agreed upon that the Stage IV is an amazing truck, even friends who ride Thunder and Venture concede that, if it it doesn’t exactly work for them. Indy has got some of the best riders in all disciplines on them, to the point where Tiago and Tom Knox are riding the same truck as Chris Russell and Bucky Lasek.

I suppose there’s always room for improvement, but the Stage IV is about as juggernaut a product as the skateboard industry has ever seen. It would be easy to fuck it up so I’ll be curious to see what they come up with (if anything).

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11080 on: March 21, 2022, 10:16:28 AM »

Titanium isn’t unbearable, and it’s unfortunately more prone to certain types of stress riser failures than some forms of chromoly, even though it is stronger and lighter according to Young’s modulus. I’m sure Indy will take care of you asap but this still sucks. Fwiw I’m on year four of some titanium 159s and they continue to be basically the best truck in the world for me.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #11081 on: March 21, 2022, 10:24:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Honestly this is my question. It’s pretty much agreed upon that the Stage IV is an amazing truck, even friends who ride Thunder and Venture concede that, if it it doesn’t exactly work for them. Indy has got some of the best riders in all disciplines on them, to the point where Tiago and Tom Knox are riding the same truck as Chris Russell and Bucky Lasek.

I suppose there’s always room for improvement, but the Stage IV is about as juggernaut a product as the skateboard industry has ever seen. It would be easy to fuck it up so I’ll be curious to see what they come up with (if anything).

I agree with a lot of this, and as I always point out, indy isn’t my first choice. They work very well tho. My standard 159s were some of my favorite trucks ever.

I am interested to see where it goes next.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11082 on: March 21, 2022, 10:29:56 AM »
IV is 4, y’all mean Stage XI, which is 11.

At a certain point what can Indy really do? The biggest game change honestly would be forging a plate that is the same exact dimensions as cast to lighten it up

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11083 on: March 21, 2022, 10:30:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Indy stage 4s really are that amazing!

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11084 on: March 21, 2022, 10:39:35 AM »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11085 on: March 21, 2022, 10:53:38 AM »

They obviously can't change the geo (too much) as that camp loves what it loves. My guess is a hanger redesign that sheds some weight/bulk off (especially around the yoke, like the 215s)

With the mids/ (older but still recent) 215s using that 'classic' indy geometry who knows...interesting to know what stage that really use for them...stage V? VIII?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 11:48:16 AM by Xen »

logjammin

« Reply #11086 on: March 21, 2022, 11:04:24 AM »
They could potentially put a dent in Ace's pockets if they revert back to that geometry and beat them to the punch with forged hollow/titanium variants with inverted kingpins and the shaft nut design in the baseplate. Simple, done. I'm still not holding my breath though. Between Indy's MiD with LESS grind clearance, Ace's shitty grinding AF1's/changing of the geometry/QC issues, and Lurpiv's embarrassing start, I'd say 2022 is on track for more truck devolution.

rothdigga

• Rep: 575
« Reply #11087 on: March 21, 2022, 11:08:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
LAnyone have thoughts on differences/preferences as between indy forged hollows and standard hollows? Pop feel, stability, pinch etc?
[close]

I don't ride Indys but if I had to I'm rocking forged baseplates, not a fan of the tall 55mm height. Would like to have try a Indy Low when they were still in production, 48.5mm puts them in the Venture 5.2 Lo and Thunder 147 Standard territory.

[close]

I probably shouldn't say, but I have a set of very minimally used Indy low 139s that don't have a home.

It is funny because at one stage these things would have been so highly sought after, but nowdays, no one seems to want the 8" Indy low trucks.

Pretty much everyone I skate with are on at least normal hollow forged or standard 148s or more likely 149s and up nowdays.
[close]

@rothdigga
[close]

I already offered, but didn't have a reply.

Might be he has enough now to last as long as needed, or has per others, finding the mids work well enough for what they want.
I'm holding pretty good on them right now as I have about 9 trucks (not 9 sets but 9 trucks) chilling at my house.  but...I wouldn't mind a shoe swap I guess.  I'm actually overdue to swap one of those trucks out now as I am almost down to the axle on my back truck from slappys, so it's done.  I'm torn, I kind of want to upgrade to a slightly bigger board but I know the higher trucks would just ruin me.  I've been skating a 7.875 for so long that if i went to 8.125 or so, I would definitely need a wider truck and wide means taller...fuck. 

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11088 on: March 21, 2022, 11:25:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
LAnyone have thoughts on differences/preferences as between indy forged hollows and standard hollows? Pop feel, stability, pinch etc?
[close]

I don't ride Indys but if I had to I'm rocking forged baseplates, not a fan of the tall 55mm height. Would like to have try a Indy Low when they were still in production, 48.5mm puts them in the Venture 5.2 Lo and Thunder 147 Standard territory.

[close]

I probably shouldn't say, but I have a set of very minimally used Indy low 139s that don't have a home.

It is funny because at one stage these things would have been so highly sought after, but nowdays, no one seems to want the 8" Indy low trucks.

Pretty much everyone I skate with are on at least normal hollow forged or standard 148s or more likely 149s and up nowdays.
[close]

@rothdigga
[close]

I already offered, but didn't have a reply.

Might be he has enough now to last as long as needed, or has per others, finding the mids work well enough for what they want.
[close]
I'm holding pretty good on them right now as I have about 9 trucks (not 9 sets but 9 trucks) chilling at my house.  but...I wouldn't mind a shoe swap I guess.  I'm actually overdue to swap one of those trucks out now as I am almost down to the axle on my back truck from slappys, so it's done.  I'm torn, I kind of want to upgrade to a slightly bigger board but I know the higher trucks would just ruin me.  I've been skating a 7.875 for so long that if i went to 8.125 or so, I would definitely need a wider truck and wide means taller...fuck.

I have very similar concerns: I skate ‘better’ on 7.75-8” decks, 8” (or less trucks). If I want to size up wheels, the whole shit starts to get too tippy/tall and narrow. But I also like the comfort of skating on a larger board. Mumble grumble skip ahead and now I’m trying to fling a much bigger setup, with middling results. That’s my painful story of woe.
I’m sure you of all people know that an 8.125 on 139s is pretty much the same ratio as 7.75 on 5.0s (not sure if you ever went that narrow). Basically the setup that nyjah and Shane ride. It was the least painful upsizing that I experienced, as I could still flip some stuff around. I continued to upsize and should probably come back down to something similar. I am super garbage tho, and never in my entire skate life have I stayed with one thing…pretty amazed by people that do tbh (I’m looking at you, Puleo, with your size 50s)

Oh. Some people swear by the method of using washer on the inside of the wheel to space out the wheels on the axle. Again, I’m sure everyone reading this far as done it/heard of it. It does work, and well with Indys as they don’t bend. This wasn’t an a-ha type realization or fix for me, I don’t think I’m good enough to really be able to tell.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 12:02:10 PM by Ok »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #11089 on: March 21, 2022, 11:37:36 AM »
They could potentially put a dent in Ace's pockets if they revert back to that geometry and beat them to the punch with forged hollow/titanium variants with inverted kingpins and the shaft nut design in the baseplate. Simple, done. I'm still not holding my breath though. Between Indy's MiD with LESS grind clearance, Ace's shitty grinding AF1's/changing of the geometry/QC issues, and Lurpiv's embarrassing start, I'd say 2022 is on track for more truck devolution.

Funny how somehow royal did better than all those big and loved truck brands. Just got another pair of regular royal 149s. My inverted 144s are amazing, I just want them wider and have both baseplate options.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #11090 on: March 21, 2022, 11:45:23 AM »
Really the only thing Indy could do to get people excited might be to explore old Stages as reissues. Take modern features (non-slip axles, better bushings, lower KP, 6 holes) to a Stage 5 for instance. But they'd be stupid to mess with the Stage 11s too much.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11091 on: March 21, 2022, 11:56:42 AM »
Really the only thing Indy could do to get people excited might be to explore old Stages as reissues. Take modern features (non-slip axles, better bushings, lower KP, 6 holes) to a Stage 5 for instance. But they'd be stupid to mess with the Stage 11s too much.

This notion has come up a few times and it would be so sick. Unfortunately I can’t see them doing it, for several reasons: competing with their own past probably goes against some rules of business, not sure what the ownership status of the old molds is, as they used to be a part of ermico…
But it is fun to think about.
Indy has the best metal. They sound and feel the best grinding. And the old ones were even better, in that regard…according to my memory. Which sucks.

thebacker

« Reply #11092 on: March 21, 2022, 11:57:41 AM »
I got some venture hi's off the swedish ebay for my cruiser. Wheels on it is 60mm super juices.

1. Is it a stupid truck choice since the venture turn is quick to wheelbite? Gonna go risers ofc but still..

2. How do u setup yours to get em more surfy feely?

orange deluxe bushings

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #11093 on: March 21, 2022, 12:24:44 PM »
Upgrade pivot cup: riptide
Flat washer…

logjammin

« Reply #11094 on: March 21, 2022, 12:34:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Funny how somehow royal did better than all those big and loved truck brands. Just got another pair of regular royal 149s. My inverted 144s are amazing, I just want them wider and have both baseplate options.

Yeah, the last thing anyone expected for sure. I can't get myself to try them for the lame truck vanity reasons, admittedly.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #11095 on: March 21, 2022, 01:29:48 PM »

Better stock bushings and get the turn closer to Ace. They could put the conical 92a bushings in them and call it a stage 12 and I would happily pay a few dollars more than the current price.

They should steal the rethreading axle nuts from Ace too. My stage 11s are the only truck I’ve ever had to rethread the axles on.

I recently switched back to Indy after riding Ace for about 5 years. The grind is just so much better on Indy’s.

The funny thing to me is how everyone is so nostalgic for stage 7/8. I just recently gave away a set of stage 8 149s and after riding both, the stage 11 have a better turn and grind. That’s just my opinion though.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #11096 on: March 21, 2022, 01:58:37 PM »
I had some stage 8s that grinded amazing. The metal feels so much harder. But I could not handle the axle slip so I put Stage 11 hangers on Stage 8 baseplates.

Still prefer Ace and Thunder to Indy though.

logjammin

« Reply #11097 on: March 21, 2022, 02:35:58 PM »
Speaking of older stage Indy's...I recently scored like 9.5/10 mint 169 stage 8's on ebay and finally got around to messing with them yesterday. The kingpins sit so damn high there is literally no clearance at all. Thankfully older Indy's with the hex bolts hammer out extremely easy. The nuts fit perfectly into the grooves made from the hex head. Kreper pins wouldn't fit into the baseplate holes for some reason, my only option was to go with the OG krux inverted ones. No matter what bushings I tried, the turn definitely felt very close to Ace but they wheelbite really bad, even with 1/8" risers. And just slaloming around the driveway I would pick up my board after and do the ol' twist the bottom bushing test with my fingers and sure enough they'd start to slightly turn, indicating the kingpin looseing pretty easily. That shaft nut design in the baseplate is key for inverted kingpins, for sure. Although it still loosens for some people, reinforcing maybe why inverted kingpins really aren't a safe bet.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11098 on: March 22, 2022, 10:28:00 AM »
Expand Quote
I got some venture hi's off the swedish ebay for my cruiser. Wheels on it is 60mm super juices.

1. Is it a stupid truck choice since the venture turn is quick to wheelbite? Gonna go risers ofc but still..

2. How do u setup yours to get em more surfy feely?
[close]

orange deluxe bushings

Flat washer…

Flat washer…
ACE regular bottoms, lo tops

Easily the best feeling ventures I've ridden.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #11099 on: March 22, 2022, 01:08:47 PM »

Yo, check my post on page 362 in here.
I basically had the same thing happening to me.
The distribution the shop has them from gave me a complete new pair for free. Wish you luck.
Strange thing man. Maybe they had a bad batch of axles or something..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.