Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232273 times)

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11100 on: March 22, 2022, 01:10:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Indy Titaniums broke on me in the middle of the 50-50. I think ive skated these 5 times:

Already sent a warranty request. Swapped to some Thunder Hollow Lights to give them a shot.
[close]
Yo, check my post on page 362 in here.
I basically had the same thing happening to me.
The distribution the shop has them from gave me a complete new pair for free. Hope you luck.

Thanks man. Yeah they sent me a label to ship them back to NHS. Fingers crossed.

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 336
« Reply #11101 on: March 22, 2022, 02:14:52 PM »
Chromoly axles are stronger than titanium ones, technically. They're barely lighter than forged hollows, too. Never seen that happen to a chromoly axle unless the hanger was ground so far that someone was grinding on the axle.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11102 on: March 22, 2022, 03:15:34 PM »
i must be the only person that things Riptides make Indys and Thunders worse. More spongey feeling, less firm snap back to center. if anyone wants my Indy cups DM me and I'll drop them in an envelope for ya

FakieDisaster

• Rep: 28
  • old leg
« Reply #11103 on: March 23, 2022, 03:08:27 AM »

Dear god this bushing is killing me any idea to fix this? Flat washers work?

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11104 on: March 23, 2022, 04:38:11 AM »
Try resetting it first, new bushings do that all the time on certain trucks

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #11105 on: March 23, 2022, 12:32:01 PM »
I've bought a Polar 8.75" Surf Jr deck, and look to buy some wider trucks. Its obviously for cruising, but also to pop some ollies, have some fun. Need to be stable. As mentioned earlier, I dont find Indys that stable feeling. But I want to be able to turn too. Thunder is the best comprimise?

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11106 on: March 23, 2022, 01:05:03 PM »
I would go Ventures

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #11107 on: March 23, 2022, 01:59:23 PM »

I ran flat washer on my tensors. however those don't look like the stock bushings. I tried some bones and indy bushings on mine and they never sat right, I just ran the stock bushings which were fine.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #11108 on: March 23, 2022, 02:11:20 PM »
Krux bushings fit well in the ATGs, same height. Looks like yours have forged baseplates. They used to only be cast after they stopped shipping with mag plates.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

FakieDisaster

• Rep: 28
  • old leg
« Reply #11109 on: March 23, 2022, 05:52:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I ran flat washer on my tensors. however those don't look like the stock bushings. I tried some bones and indy bushings on mine and they never sat right, I just ran the stock bushings which were fine.
[close]

[/quote]

Top is stock bushing while the bottom is indy hard black. These white ones kinda softer than the indy orange ones i used to ride. Will find flat washers then.

Goggzy60

• Rep: 6
« Reply #11110 on: March 24, 2022, 01:59:49 PM »
I just got some Iron Trucks for free. The Destructos I have been riding recently have held up well. Has anyone ever used the Iron Trucks (trucks are the only thing I ever change in my setup) if so how long did they last.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11111 on: March 24, 2022, 02:54:33 PM »
There is a guy at the park that skates them stupidly tight. He rips but just looking at them i'm not that convinced.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11112 on: March 24, 2022, 06:26:56 PM »
They're okay, but they wheelbite pretty bad.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11113 on: March 25, 2022, 08:08:03 AM »
i must be the only person that things Riptides make Indys and Thunders worse. More spongey feeling, less firm snap back to center. if anyone wants my Indy cups DM me and I'll drop them in an envelope for ya

In Thunders, didn't like how they felt (also can't abide using barrel bushings in them either); however, in Indys, riptides are sooo good, they accentuate that smooth long turn indy has.

Firstly, having three pairs of ATGs, I've never had this happen, stock or otherwise.

Secondly, get rid of the Tensor [top] bushing(s) if you want to turn/have responsive trucks; while 90a they feel harder, and that top bushings design really limits this trucks ability to turn. Throw in Bones med or soft, NO washers and you're set.

Lastly, with a hard bottom/soft top combo you've slowed the trucks ability to return to center quickly (this is why ACE come soft bottom, hard top as it provides a deep ability to turn (bottom/boardside) with a fast snap back to center (top/roadside). Bones soft bottom/med top is really good in these trucks; since you are running indy blacks, a med bones bottom, hard top would do ya (or just get a harder indy top).

« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 08:16:33 AM by Xen »

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #11114 on: March 25, 2022, 08:15:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In Thunders, didn't like how they felt (also can't abide using barrel bushings in them either); however, in Indys, riptides are sooo good, they accentuate that smooth long turn indy has.

I must be the only one, but I couldn't feel a difference with Riptides, at all. Gave them away in a pair of Indys to a local kid. I asked he could tell the difference, and he couldn't either. I've read people on here state ceramic bearings feel "harder" than steel. I don't see how a human body could perceive any difference. Ya'll have spidey sense or I'm just completely numb.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #11115 on: March 25, 2022, 09:06:10 AM »

Yeah, I put some on my Indys after a pivot cup blew out, and they turn more or less fine, but the knob end of the hanger is looser than it is with Indy cups (been this way since new), and the truck gets stuck in whatever direction it was pressed the hardest. After a while of skating them, I figured that polyurethane probably isn’t the best material for a pivot cup - hard plastic is.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 07:10:00 PM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

logjammin

« Reply #11116 on: March 25, 2022, 10:27:01 AM »
Riptides are kinda hit or miss with me, I've ripped many pairs of them from slappies and they always send me new ones. It's also a pain in the ass when they're new and the white dry lube stuff keeps the pivot nub of the hanger from staying in there when trying to assemble the truck, I gotta press everything down super hard just to get the nut to catch the threads and then crank it down. It makes the hanger sit weird for a bit til they get skated and it fully rests inside the pivot cavity. I just say fuck it now and put a little wax inside of stock pivot cups that come with trucks and I notice hardly any difference between that and Riptides. They're still an amazing company with super friendly owners, though.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11117 on: March 25, 2022, 10:48:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, I put some on my Indys after a pivot cup blew out, and they then more or less fine, but the knob end of the hanger is looser than it is with Indy cups (been this way since new), and the truck gets stuck in whatever direction it was pressed the hardest. After a while of skating them, I figured that polyurethane probably isn’t the best material for a pivot cup - hard plastic is.

Yup, riptides aren't as thick as the newer stock indy (or ACE/Royals); the new ACE cups hug the indy pivot nicely as well.

These new thicker/hand poured jobs are much better and last a lot longer than those trash hard plastic ones that used to come stock on indy and remain stock in thunders. That's why Khiro were a better option back in the day....Theeve shipped quality cups at their launch and to this day as well.

For ACE/Indy/Royal I don't feel Riptides bring anything better these days...unless you can't get replacements.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 12:36:59 PM by Xen »

logjammin

« Reply #11118 on: March 25, 2022, 11:16:46 AM »
Side note: anyone tried those new Ace shock pads? I was thinking about putting them against the board stacked with a 1/8" Ace riser on top of it. Slightly more clearance, but hopefully without making the board sound/feel dead? I don't think I've ever used shock pads but the idea of not having my teeth chatter on rough ground sounds great. I know softer wheels can already alleviate this, but some added shock absorption would be cool.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #11119 on: March 25, 2022, 12:40:01 PM »
Side note: anyone tried those new Ace shock pads? I was thinking about putting them against the board stacked with a 1/8" Ace riser on top of it. Slightly more clearance, but hopefully without making the board sound/feel dead? I don't think I've ever used shock pads but the idea of not having my teeth chatter on rough ground sounds great. I know softer wheels can already alleviate this, but some added shock absorption would be cool.

I ran that combo (Truck->riser->shocked) for a while and loved it. I didn't think it made my setup sound dead, but I guess it depends how sensitive to that you are (FWIW I love shock pads and/or soft wheels). The ace pads somewhere between hard rubber and dooks in terms of density, if that makes sense.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11120 on: March 25, 2022, 12:54:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I ran that combo (Truck->riser->shocked) for a while and loved it. I didn't think it made my setup sound dead, but I guess it depends how sensitive to that you are (FWIW I love shock pads and/or soft wheels). The ace pads somewhere between hard rubber and dooks in terms of density, if that makes sense.

Lucky risers were like that, pliable not rock hard nor super squishy.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #11121 on: March 25, 2022, 01:07:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Lucky risers were like that, pliable not rock hard nor super squishy.

The Ace shocks are actually pretty different from the Luckys (actually running a set of the luckys with my Indys RN). I should clarify that when I said Dooks, I meant the foamy shock pads (I think they were called Silencers). The Ace pads are more dense than that but not as dense as a hard rubber. The spectrum would be something like:

(soft) Dook silencers->Ace shocks->Indy hard rubber shock pads->Lucky (also Krooked)->Regular plastic risers (hard)

Didn't include all the new wood and metal risers people are dropping, but hopefully that gets the idea across.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11122 on: March 25, 2022, 01:59:20 PM »
My luckys are really old , my krookeds from last year or so are typically hard, I can easily bend the luckys in one hand. Could different duros by now.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #11123 on: March 25, 2022, 07:57:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, I put some on my Indys after a pivot cup blew out, and they turn more or less fine, but the knob end of the hanger is looser than it is with Indy cups (been this way since new), and the truck gets stuck in whatever direction it was pressed the hardest. After a while of skating them, I figured that polyurethane probably isn’t the best material for a pivot cup - hard plastic is.

Hard plastic works terrible as a pivot cup in my opinion. Mini-logo has/had hard plastic ones that when replaced make a huge difference. I also had a set of Krux that felt so off from what I was used to and it turned out they randomly came with clear hard plastic pivot cups, when I got the normal ones in there it was crazy how much better they turned and felt.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #11124 on: March 26, 2022, 02:28:18 AM »
Did they changed the diameter of the new indy aftermarket pivot cups? I swear, they look smaller and the hanger nub did not fit snug in the pivot cups. Will put some old ones in and see if that is different.
IG: @flowterspace

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 726
« Reply #11125 on: March 26, 2022, 02:49:11 AM »
Did they changed the diameter of the new indy aftermarket pivot cups? I swear, they look smaller and the hanger nub did not fit snug in the pivot cups. Will put some old ones in and see if that is different.

Are you asking if Riptide did?  If so, I had the same issue.  The most recent set I bought are like lower and wider than the old ones.  They sink down noticeably below the lip of the pivot cup part of the baseplate when you put them in.  I thought I just got a bad set. 

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #11126 on: March 26, 2022, 03:06:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you asking if Riptide did?  If so, I had the same issue.  The most recent set I bought are like lower and wider than the old ones.  They sink down noticeably below the lip of the pivot cup part of the baseplate when you put them in.  I thought I just got a bad set.

No I mean the indy aftermarket pivot cups. But I had that same happen to me with riptide cups last year.

Now I am heavily contemplating to put something small over the hanger nub of my 144s, to make the nub fit more snug in the baseplate. So far, my only idea is the end piece of a condom. Please don't laugh pals. 😅
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11127 on: March 26, 2022, 03:24:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No I mean the indy aftermarket pivot cups. But I had that same happen to me with riptide cups last year.

Now I am heavily contemplating to put something small over the hanger nub of my 144s, to make the nub fit more snug in the baseplate. So far, my only idea is the end piece of a condom. Please don't laugh pals. 😅

Well protected!

A few old pro dudes used to always use shoe goo in the ends of the pivot point, just a drop, then put the truck back in and away you go.  If you wax the end of the hanger nub as well, it shouldn't stick to the hanger, but help to provide a snug fit, while being easily removeable when needed.

I would think to leave the truck (or leave the board) overnight after doing this, as anything you put in there and skate on right away would usually come out pretty quickly.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #11128 on: March 26, 2022, 05:31:21 AM »
Quick note, for those who skate Mini logo trucks: Ace standard bushings are great in these. Standard bottom bushing with an Ace low top bushing. Keeps the turning real nice but adds a little more stability than the ML standard bushings.

In general, these trucks are way better than most would expect

logjammin

« Reply #11129 on: March 26, 2022, 08:04:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks man! I'm ordering some to try out now.