Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232299 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11130 on: March 26, 2022, 09:40:16 AM »
Quick note, for those who skate Mini logo trucks: Ace standard bushings are great in these. Standard bottom bushing with an Ace low top bushing. Keeps the turning real nice but adds a little more stability than the ML standard bushings.

In general, these trucks are way better than most would expect

After I blew out the stock bushings on some Indy 149s, I threw in some Ace Classics I salvaged from my warranties trucks and they work great. I don’t know if I’d say they’re better (highly subjective), but they’re certainly more durable and the performance of the truck is not negatively impacted.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #11131 on: March 26, 2022, 10:29:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Quick note, for those who skate Mini logo trucks: Ace standard bushings are great in these. Standard bottom bushing with an Ace low top bushing. Keeps the turning real nice but adds a little more stability than the ML standard bushings.

In general, these trucks are way better than most would expect
[close]

After I blew out the stock bushings on some Indy 149s, I threw in some Ace Classics I salvaged from my warranties trucks and they work great. I don’t know if I’d say they’re better (highly subjective), but they’re certainly more durable and the performance of the truck is not negatively impacted.

Nice! I haven’t tried them in Indy’s but the Indy bushings i have freeze in the winter whereas Aces don’t so that seeems like a switch I need to experiment with

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #11132 on: March 26, 2022, 10:33:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I got some venture hi's off the swedish ebay for my cruiser. Wheels on it is 60mm super juices.

1. Is it a stupid truck choice since the venture turn is quick to wheelbite? Gonna go risers ofc but still..

2. How do u setup yours to get em more surfy feely?
[close]

orange deluxe bushings
[close]

Expand Quote
Upgrade pivot cup: riptide
Flat washer…

[close]

Flat washer…
ACE regular bottoms, lo tops

Easily the best feeling ventures I've ridden.
Probably not wrong, but you’re essentially at or close to the cost of new trucks. If there’s other things about ventures that really do it for you, then maybe. Otherwise, just try some other trucks. No Venture hate; I went through many sets of bones softs in ventures as it’s a surfy but short lived solution, and still have some 6.1’s on hand.

Beeker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
« Reply #11133 on: March 26, 2022, 11:09:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I got some venture hi's off the swedish ebay for my cruiser. Wheels on it is 60mm super juices.

1. Is it a stupid truck choice since the venture turn is quick to wheelbite? Gonna go risers ofc but still..

[close]

orange deluxe bushings
[close]

Expand Quote
Flat washer…

[close]

Flat washer…

[close]
Probably not wrong, but you’re essentially at or close to the cost of new trucks. If there’s other things about ventures that really do it for you, then maybe. Otherwise, just try some other trucks. No Venture hate; I went through many sets of bones softs in ventures as it’s a surfy but short lived solution, and still have some 6.1’s on hand.

Everyone should have a set of Ace Classic and Ace Low bushings to fuck around with in any/all of their trucks. The new standard of bushing quality (which Royal has now joined). It is annoying to have to buy two sets to make it work, but it's well worth it.

Side note: can you get the Ace Low bushings anymore?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11134 on: March 26, 2022, 01:02:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

orange deluxe bushings
[close]

Expand Quote
Flat washer…

[close]

Flat washer…

[close]
[close]

Everyone should have a set of Ace Classic and Ace Low bushings to fuck around with in any/all of their trucks. The new standard of bushing quality (which Royal has now joined). It is annoying to have to buy two sets to make it work, but it's well worth it.

Side note: can you get the Ace Low bushings anymore?

Ebay or Parade it seems; I'd guess ACE will put them back into the market after the release of the new lows?

ACE low tops + ACE regular bottoms is THE combo for Indy/Venture - the cost of two sets of bushings is well worth it.

That said, you can find the right sizing with Venom/riptide bushings as well; they're thanes/duros are on par with ACE (they feel really similar both in hand and on board).

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11135 on: March 26, 2022, 04:49:05 PM »
Could also take a razor to the high top. The tops are narrower than Indy bushings so take it off the top.

kevs.clips

• Rep: 24
« Reply #11136 on: March 28, 2022, 06:23:03 PM »
Does anyone know where one can buy the stock Ace replacement bushings in Canada?? I swear nowhere here up north has them. Ordering directly from the Ace site results in a $48 shipping fee :/

FakieDisaster

• Rep: 28
  • old leg
« Reply #11137 on: March 28, 2022, 07:13:04 PM »
want to ask is there a standard size for flat washers that i can search in the hardware store?

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #11138 on: March 28, 2022, 09:50:30 PM »
want to ask is there a standard size for flat washers that i can search in the hardware store?

I would try to get something like this for a top bushing. As long as the inner is 3/8 in. the kingpin should fit through. Barrel/cylinder bushings are 1 in. diameter. Cones taper from 1 in. down to 7/8 or 3/4.

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/products/flat-washer-3-8-id-x-7-8-od-18-8-ss?variant=13249743487019

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #11139 on: April 03, 2022, 10:25:40 AM »
Ace classic 44 hanger, mag plates(thanks @arrbee), stock bottom bushing, blue Indy top with a Krux IKP.
Only had one session so far on this setup. All transition, so the weight difference wasn’t noticeable. The IKP definitely felt better on smiths and I was able to front feeble around corners of pool block even though I haven’t skated a park in a few years.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1175
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11140 on: April 05, 2022, 10:50:26 AM »
dear truck gurus,

is Tom Knox skating forged plates in this?  Or just hollow kingpins?  Cant tell

hardly art, hardly starving

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #11141 on: April 05, 2022, 11:26:27 AM »
dear truck gurus,

Looks to be the standard (cast) hollows. Best trucks.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1175
« Reply #11142 on: April 06, 2022, 02:57:02 PM »
Expand Quote
dear truck gurus,

[close]

cheers
hardly art, hardly starving

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #11143 on: April 06, 2022, 03:52:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
dear truck gurus,

[close]

[close]

cheers

I’ve tried to start the ‘what’s that setup’ thread many times. I’m thirsty. Knox is too sick. The hollow cast have no design shortcomings, imo. 
The folks I’m keen to figure out are Bobby Dekyzer’s setup, Will Marsh and E.T., and AVE (dill while we are it).
Any info much appreciated.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #11144 on: April 06, 2022, 04:20:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
dear truck gurus,

[close]

[close]

cheers
[close]

I’ve tried to start the ‘what’s that setup’ thread many times. I’m thirsty. Knox is too sick. The hollow cast have no design shortcomings, imo. 
The folks I’m keen to figure out are Bobby Dekyzer’s setup, Will Marsh and E.T., and AVE (dill while we are it).
I have a photo of AVEs set up from an insta story. Looks like 149 hollow axle not sure about baseplate with 8.25

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11145 on: April 06, 2022, 04:53:53 PM »
Ave is on 149 Cast Hollows with an 8.5 FA deck and 54 Conical Fulls. You can also see he cranks his rear down so 2-3 threads are showing and front so 2 threads are showing. Knox looks to be on dirty aftermarket yellers.

You can differentiate cast and hollow plates if you can see around the nut area as cast are clearly thicker. Also there are the casting lines and the space between the baseplate and pivot cup is thicker on cast too.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11146 on: April 06, 2022, 04:58:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
dear truck gurus,

[close]

[close]

cheers
[close]

[close]
I have a photo of AVEs set up from an insta story. Looks like 149 hollow axle not sure about baseplate with 8.25

Thanks!! AVE had a pretty wild setup in the early 2000s: 7.75, 5.0 lo’s, 53 ish looking wheels (trucks must have been hella tight). FA boards are wider than they are long, often. I thought this might have been in part because dill AVE are short, but also because they sized up. Overthinking it for sure. Blah blah

Thanks for the reply!

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11147 on: April 06, 2022, 05:03:46 PM »
Ave is on 149 Cast Hollows with an 8.5 FA deck and 54 Conical Fulls. You can also see he cranks his rear down so 2-3 threads are showing and front so 2 threads are showing. Knox looks to be on dirty aftermarket yellers.

You can differentiate cast and hollow plates if you can see around the nut area as cast are clearly thicker. Also there are the casting lines and the space between the baseplate and pivot cup is thicker on cast too.

Thanks!
I’ll say it again: surprised about the 149s. AVE is not large. KB small too, and he looks like he’s on 149s (guessing) as well.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #11148 on: April 06, 2022, 07:44:05 PM »
Maybe they didn’t get the memo on the shoe size truck width…..guarantee they don’t know the shin/wheelbase co-relation…..I wonder how they ever succeeded…..

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11149 on: April 06, 2022, 07:52:54 PM »
Maybe they didn’t get the memo on the shoe size truck width…..guarantee they don’t know the shin/wheelbase co-relation…..I wonder how they ever succeeded…..

Exactly

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #11150 on: April 07, 2022, 06:51:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly

It is because they figured out their pop angle.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11151 on: April 07, 2022, 08:50:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly
[close]

It is because they figured out their pop angle.

Well also pro spec, prototypes, nano tubes, fingers of flat…

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #11152 on: April 09, 2022, 01:30:29 AM »

Take a gander at these puppies that just fell from the sky. I'll tell you all about them, but I'll let you nerds have a little talk amongst yourselves first.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #11153 on: April 09, 2022, 07:59:35 AM »

Take a gander at these puppies that just fell from the sky. I'll tell you all about them, but I'll let you nerds have a little talk amongst yourselves first.

Looks like stage 8 159s/169s with Krux pins. Pretty cool. I love stage 11 but I would be lying if I said the hanger and yoke didn't look so much better on the older stages.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #11154 on: April 09, 2022, 08:15:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Looks like stage 8 159s/169s with Krux pins. Pretty cool. I love stage 11 but I would be lying if I said the hanger and yoke didn't look so much better on the older stages.

Man, I could not disagree more about the hangers. I think that stuff looks hideous. One of the big appeals to me of the (especially original) Ace truck was the svelte hanger, not that fat, globular mess.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #11155 on: April 09, 2022, 08:36:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Man, I could not disagree more about the hangers. I think that stuff looks hideous. One of the big appeals to me of the (especially original) Ace truck was the svelte hanger, not that fat, globular mess.

I like how the hangers on Aces look too. I just think stage 11s are just kind of mid looking. I prefer the extremes of the two.

freidnly guy

• Rep: 18
« Reply #11156 on: April 10, 2022, 02:33:02 PM »

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #11157 on: April 10, 2022, 02:38:14 PM »

Lmao wtf? Is this that Zack Dowling guy?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #11158 on: April 10, 2022, 02:47:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Lmao wtf? Is this that Zack Dowling guy?

That person is obviously really good at skateboarding.
He needed a real challenge and put his trucks the wrong way on.

*Edit
Maybe we put our trucks the wrong way on ^^
IG: @flowterspace

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
  • old and in the way
« Reply #11159 on: April 10, 2022, 04:20:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I definitely prefer the v shaped look of stage 8 Indy hangers, but there is an elegance to the reduced hangers on the stage 11s.