Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232025 times)

boofactory

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11160 on: April 10, 2022, 05:32:53 PM »
Looks like Zach’s skating a prototype street style truck from Aera. They make longboard trucks and he follows them on Instagram.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #11161 on: April 10, 2022, 06:51:09 PM »

looks like style forward facing kingpin but with a bumper for nose/tail slides

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11162 on: April 10, 2022, 06:54:23 PM »
Before we get all judgy….what does it do to the wheelbase?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11163 on: April 10, 2022, 07:29:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Zero smith hangups I'd wager....probably breezy for disasters too

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #11164 on: April 10, 2022, 07:41:38 PM »

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #11165 on: April 10, 2022, 08:07:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

But would you hang up on krooks?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11166 on: April 10, 2022, 08:15:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

But would you hang up on krooks?

Probably yeah, once you get the groove in place.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #11167 on: April 10, 2022, 09:58:45 PM »
Expand Quote

Take a gander at these puppies that just fell from the sky. I'll tell you all about them, but I'll let you nerds have a little talk amongst yourselves first.
[close]

Looks like stage 8 159s/169s with Krux pins. Pretty cool. I love stage 11 but I would be lying if I said the hanger and yoke didn't look so much better on the older stages.

Nice spot on the stage 8. I must have baby hands, 'cause they're actually just 149. Wouldn't you say that's probably the most sought after size these days for people who actually want to skate them?

I'd say it's pretty rare to find pre stage 9 Indy's over 8" in such good condition, so I'm pretty stoked on them. Btw, does anybody remember this hanger decal design?
2020s: "Let's get rid of the iron cross"
1990s: Let's put like ten fucking iron crosses on this bitch, sick dude!"

I got them really cheap from someone who probably didn't quite know what they were selling. From the grind marks, it looks like they were only used for mellow transition skating, probably just metal coping. The baseplates have just enough marks to confirm that they've been used, but the mounting holes and the base are mint, leaving me to think that they were only ever used on one setup, and have been sitting ever since.

I've always heard that it's impossible to fit inverted kingpins in stage 8s, and indeed, the previous owner took great care to drill out the kingpin hole in the baseplate so the nut sits super snug in there with no epoxy. Has anyone else tried this, and is it really just stage 8s that have this narrow baseplate hole?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #11168 on: April 10, 2022, 10:07:16 PM »
Looks like Zach’s skating a prototype street style truck from Aera. They make longboard trucks and he follows them on Instagram.

They're no Caliber IIIs
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #11169 on: April 10, 2022, 10:23:17 PM »

this is a longboard truck geometry(reverse kingpin). the right angle between the pivot and bushing seat gives a truck a more consistent turn rather than "divey" like a skate truck is. also less stress on parts as the pivot and kingpin arent trying to move in opposite directions. i feel like it may put more stress on the kingpin though when landing, as the force is much more horizontal rather than going up into the baseplate and deck.

aera longboard trucks are like 300 bucks or something and made by the guy who helped create the formula g slides are made of
https://www.todoskate.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/truckangles.jpg

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11170 on: April 10, 2022, 10:45:27 PM »
Would you describe it as a light or heavy pop?

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #11171 on: April 11, 2022, 07:45:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Take a gander at these puppies that just fell from the sky. I'll tell you all about them, but I'll let you nerds have a little talk amongst yourselves first.
[close]

Looks like stage 8 159s/169s with Krux pins. Pretty cool. I love stage 11 but I would be lying if I said the hanger and yoke didn't look so much better on the older stages.
[close]

Nice spot on the stage 8. I must have baby hands, 'cause they're actually just 149. Wouldn't you say that's probably the most sought after size these days for people who actually want to skate them?

I'd say it's pretty rare to find pre stage 9 Indy's over 8" in such good condition, so I'm pretty stoked on them. Btw, does anybody remember this hanger decal design?
2020s: "Let's get rid of the iron cross"
1990s: Let's put like ten fucking iron crosses on this bitch, sick dude!"

I got them really cheap from someone who probably didn't quite know what they were selling. From the grind marks, it looks like they were only used for mellow transition skating, probably just metal coping. The baseplates have just enough marks to confirm that they've been used, but the mounting holes and the base are mint, leaving me to think that they were only ever used on one setup, and have been sitting ever since.

I've always heard that it's impossible to fit inverted kingpins in stage 8s, and indeed, the previous owner took great care to drill out the kingpin hole in the baseplate so the nut sits super snug in there with no epoxy. Has anyone else tried this, and is it really just stage 8s that have this narrow baseplate hole?

Nice, that is a hell of a find, even better that they're 149s. Stage 7s can be done with no epoxy as well.

Assuming you skate them, let us know how they are.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11172 on: April 11, 2022, 07:52:13 AM »
Do Ace Classic or AF1 have the most similar pop feel to Indy?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #11173 on: April 11, 2022, 08:15:23 AM »

Possibly controversial opinion here: no.
I really wanted the indy pop, from ace, but that hasn’t been my experience (unless I ride the crail 8.25 x 14wb with huge wheels, I cannot get ace trucks to pop, and that usually isn’t my problem).
For me, indy pops much better.
Again, in my opinion, thunder cast 149s, are closer to an indy pop, than anything ace.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #11174 on: April 11, 2022, 09:40:19 AM »
I put Ace 55 on a 1/8 riser on a cruiser board, so that brings it up to 55mm tall like Indy, similar but still some ghost pop since I don't ride it often and not used to it

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11175 on: April 11, 2022, 06:49:37 PM »

AF1 are closer to Indy in everything like that, from what others have said and I have felt in the minimal skates on a board with Ace Classics and another board with AF1, compared to my usual Indy standards that is (also have boards with hollows and forged plates too which are closer in height).

Oddly enough, my first run back on my usual Indy setup felt sluggish to turn after being on a setup with super loose AF1 trucks for a session, but it doesn't take too long to adjust between any of them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #11176 on: April 11, 2022, 08:32:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're no Caliber IIIs

The smallest ones they make are 9”.
I wonder how’d they skate with that squared out shape.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #11177 on: April 12, 2022, 12:18:54 AM »
Sorry if this has been discussed before (or discussed to death), but is there any information or measurements on the turn depth of Ace Classic vs Indy Standard (55mm) vs Indy Forged (53.5mm)? It's obvious Ace Classic respond the fastest out of these trucks and also the axles are inset over Indys 0.25" which should increase turn depth, but they're also lower, something like 52-53mm. Do Aces carve the deepest or just fastest?

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #11178 on: April 12, 2022, 01:17:56 PM »
Sorry if this has been discussed before (or discussed to death), but is there any information or measurements on the turn depth of Ace Classic vs Indy Standard (55mm) vs Indy Forged (53.5mm)? It's obvious Ace Classic respond the fastest out of these trucks and also the axles are inset over Indys 0.25" which should increase turn depth, but they're also lower, something like 52-53mm. Do Aces carve the deepest or just fastest?

While I have no measurements or data to suggest this, it seems the general consensus is that Ace turn the deepest/sharpest/quickest

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11179 on: April 12, 2022, 01:40:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

While I have no measurements or data to suggest this, it seems the general consensus is that Ace turn the deepest/sharpest/quickest

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11180 on: April 12, 2022, 01:56:19 PM »
I’ll subscribe to the deepest, sharpest, but not necessarily the quickest.  I always think the top end is stable, it’s when you lean into the, they really go. 

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #11181 on: April 29, 2022, 12:53:35 AM »
Greetings and salutations, y'all.

I've been searching, to no avail, but perhaps one of the denizens of these forums could help me out.

What durometer are the Indy stock pivot cups?

I'm looking into swapping them out for some aftermarket ones but can't find any actual information other than "they are hard plastic," so it's difficult to gauge how much softer I should go.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #11182 on: April 29, 2022, 01:38:00 AM »
I’ll subscribe to the deepest, sharpest, but not necessarily the quickest.  I always think the top end is stable, it’s when you lean into the, they really go.

I agree with this. In fact, depending on your setup (as with any of these mathematical hypothetical assessments of skateboard products), I find Ace to be the slowest. Thunder is the quickest, then Indy, then Ace. I have no experience with Venture since the late 90s/early 00s so I can't assess those. I also haven't tried AF1's only classics.

However, Ace is the 'best' turn as it feels the most controlled to me, but there is certainly a delay at the very beginning of it. Thunder is super twitchy and sometimes I feel like Indy's are controlling my turn rather than me having 100% control. Maybe that sounds completely idiotic.

I ride my trucks just at the edge of wobbly, but with no wobble if that makes any difference... so I guess that's considered medium-loose? who knows?

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #11183 on: April 29, 2022, 01:56:24 AM »

I've been searching, to no avail, but perhaps one of the denizens of these forums could help me out.

I'm looking into swapping them out for some aftermarket ones but can't find any actual information other than "they are hard plastic," so it's difficult to gauge how much softer I should go.

based purely on feel after using 96 riptides they must be over 100. probably too hard for the A durometer scale...

most people thought the af1 pivots(96a) were very soft and mushy feeling to give you another point of reference.

also 96 riptides are the truth. dont look at anything else

SaySo

« Reply #11184 on: April 29, 2022, 02:06:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree with this. In fact, depending on your setup (as with any of these mathematical hypothetical assessments of skateboard products), I find Ace to be the slowest. Thunder is the quickest, then Indy, then Ace. I have no experience with Venture since the late 90s/early 00s so I can't assess those. I also haven't tried AF1's only classics.

However, Ace is the 'best' turn as it feels the most controlled to me, but there is certainly a delay at the very beginning of it. Thunder is super twitchy and sometimes I feel like Indy's are controlling my turn rather than me having 100% control. Maybe that sounds completely idiotic.

I ride my trucks just at the edge of wobbly, but with no wobble if that makes any difference... so I guess that's considered medium-loose? who knows?

I feel you. To me, it's as if Indy's turn into a groove/track of turn arc, if that makes any sense, whereas with Aces I'm in the driver's (pilot's  :P) seat.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

SaySo

« Reply #11185 on: April 29, 2022, 07:09:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
based purely on feel after using 96 riptides they must be over 100. probably too hard for the A durometer scale...

most people thought the af1 pivots(96a) were very soft and mushy feeling to give you another point of reference.

Thanks! They probably are beyond the A durometer scale. They honestly don't even feel like urethane. Probably some flavor of thermoplastic.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #11186 on: April 29, 2022, 08:38:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks! They probably are beyond the A durometer scale. They honestly don't even feel like urethane. Probably some flavor of thermoplastic.

Yeah, I'm not plastics expert, but when Riptides came out, they pushed themselves as the first polyurethane pivot cup, so that would lead me to believe that the others are indeed some type of thermoplastic. Other than the new Ace, which is polyurethane according to people on here.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11187 on: April 29, 2022, 08:43:09 AM »
Indy makes aftermarket which I’d assume is better than stock….I like the riptides as well…

SaySo

« Reply #11188 on: April 29, 2022, 09:33:16 AM »
Indy makes aftermarket which I’d assume is better than stock….I like the riptides as well…
I was looking at those also today when at the shop. They appear to be the same as the stock Indy ones that came with my pair of Stage XI hollow forged. I think the aftermarket Indy's are just replacement for if/when people blow out their stock pivot cups.

Unfortunately my local doesn't stock Riptides. I'm giving a set of locally produced pivot cups called "Masame" a try.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11189 on: April 29, 2022, 12:06:39 PM »
I'm holding out for some NFG cups; for now the new ACE cups work great (in my indys too).