Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231984 times)

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11190 on: April 29, 2022, 01:42:45 PM »
I saw the kooky RKP trucks that Zach Doelling was riding and skimmed a couple videos to see if he mentioned anything about them.  Didn't find that - but saw these.  Any ideas what they are?

In the comments he says "Always, lately. Also I’ve been putting videos up a bit out of order as well. In this video they were a secret truck I’m pretty sure. I’m on and have been on thunder for a while although I’m not fully satisfied."

4-5 years ago I did hear that SkateOne was working on a non MiniLogo truck. Given that he is on Powell, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a SkateOne truck.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11191 on: April 29, 2022, 01:59:45 PM »
Torx 2.0 where’s MikeV?

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 466
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11192 on: April 29, 2022, 02:18:02 PM »
Torx 2.0 where’s MikeV?

Lol. The chances of Tork coming back is pretty nill.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #11193 on: April 29, 2022, 03:07:36 PM »
I saw the kooky RKP trucks that Zach Doelling was riding and skimmed a couple videos to see if he mentioned anything about them.  Didn't find that - but saw these.  Any ideas what they are?

In the comments he says "Always, lately. Also I’ve been putting videos up a bit out of order as well. In this video they were a secret truck I’m pretty sure. I’m on and have been on thunder for a while although I’m not fully satisfied."

4-5 years ago I did hear that SkateOne was working on a non MiniLogo truck. Given that he is on Powell, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a SkateOne truck.

Haha I did exactly the same over the course of the last days. No idea how he manages to skate so many different trucks. But he also rips on old school shaped decks and whatever.
The trucks I saw in his last videos:
1. Whatever the one in your picture is
2. The longboard trucks
3. Mini logos
4. Thunders

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11194 on: April 29, 2022, 03:20:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Indy makes aftermarket which I’d assume is better than stock….I like the riptides as well…
[close]
I was looking at those also today when at the shop. They appear to be the same as the stock Indy ones that came with my pair of Stage XI hollow forged. I think the aftermarket Indy's are just replacement for if/when people blow out their stock pivot cups.

Unfortunately my local doesn't stock Riptides. I'm giving a set of locally produced pivot cups called "Masame" a try.

Maybe order ‘em….most people seem to like them…

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #11195 on: April 29, 2022, 11:21:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Indy makes aftermarket which I’d assume is better than stock….I like the riptides as well…
[close]
I was looking at those also today when at the shop. They appear to be the same as the stock Indy ones that came with my pair of Stage XI hollow forged. I think the aftermarket Indy's are just replacement for if/when people blow out their stock pivot cups.

Unfortunately my local doesn't stock Riptides. I'm giving a set of locally produced pivot cups called "Masame" a try.
[close]
Maybe order ‘em….most people seem to like them…

Order the Riptides?

Might do at some point, definitely seem to be great from all accounts.

But for the moment I'm giving the locally sourced producers some love. Will chime back in after I've ridden them for a while.

Plus, $20 a pop sounds crazy when the rest of the market is at maybe $10 max? Can they be that much better? lol.

Nevertheless, thanks everyone for sharing your advice and experiences!
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11196 on: April 30, 2022, 10:02:26 AM »
I honestly disliked Riptides. They feel mushy and took away snap back to center on Indy’s. After fucking around I far prefer stock Indy’s to modded.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #11197 on: April 30, 2022, 10:07:02 AM »
I honestly disliked Riptides. They feel mushy and took away snap back to center on Indy’s. After fucking around I far prefer stock Indy’s to modded.

I honestly couldn't tell the difference when I plopped them in a pair of Indys.  :(
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11198 on: April 30, 2022, 10:58:59 AM »
I mean it’s all nuances but I marked my kingpins and if anything they just felt kinda squishy turning, but yah it’s not huge. Just not worth it and I felt Slap overhyped them.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #11199 on: April 30, 2022, 08:30:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I honestly couldn't tell the difference when I plopped them in a pair of Indys.  :(
blasphemy!!!!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 10:58:54 PM by thanksgiving »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #11200 on: April 30, 2022, 09:07:05 PM »

Yeah, this is my experience. The only difference I can notice is that my trucks now get stuck to one side or another.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #11201 on: May 01, 2022, 04:30:21 PM »
Just as a warning, although people say RipTides are indestructible, I have broken three in less than a year. Ripped to shreds or simply broken in half. One was on Indy, the other two on Theeve.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #11202 on: May 02, 2022, 12:51:11 AM »
Just as a warning, although people say RipTides are indestructible, I have broken three in less than a year. Ripped to shreds or simply broken in half. One was on Indy, the other two on Theeve.
yeah, i tore mine doing slappies on 169s. im sure the added leverage of a wider truck does more damage to them.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #11203 on: May 02, 2022, 12:58:10 AM »
Just to bat for Riptides side, I’ve had the same set in for 3 years without any major damage, there’s a small split in the front one but it hasn’t worked it’s way through the whole

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11204 on: May 02, 2022, 11:13:33 AM »
One of the biggest knocks on riptides is it’s forced me into going to the local longboard shop……

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11205 on: May 02, 2022, 12:10:06 PM »
One of the biggest knocks on riptides is it’s forced me into going to the local longboard shop……

I hope you wore a disguise.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11206 on: May 02, 2022, 12:42:23 PM »
They put them in a brown paper bag…..

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11207 on: May 02, 2022, 02:38:53 PM »
Truck selection is a zero sum game at best.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #11208 on: May 02, 2022, 02:44:32 PM »
Just to bat for Riptides side, I’ve had the same set in for 3 years without any major damage, there’s a small split in the front one but it hasn’t worked it’s way through the whole
same, but mine are 2 years old. i have two sets, got them in my ventures and thunders. i got a small split in the ventures front truck from slappy crooks, i was lowkey stressing but it hasn't affected performance yet (from what I can tell).

i think they're worth it and would recommend, but it's not necessarily a must buy

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 726
« Reply #11209 on: May 04, 2022, 03:35:37 PM »
Anyone roll with the stock Indy bushings lately?  Good? Bad? No real difference?

I bought Indy replacement bushings for my current set of trucks and they’ve served me well but ended getting shredded up anyway from destroying the trucks on curbs and ledges for months on end.  Curious if anyone got a full six months or more out of the stock ones.  I don’t really feel like paying for shipping for another set of the replacement ones. 

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #11210 on: May 04, 2022, 03:43:51 PM »
Anyone roll with the stock Indy bushings lately?  Good? Bad? No real difference?

I bought Indy replacement bushings for my current set of trucks and they’ve served me well but ended getting shredded up anyway from destroying the trucks on curbs and ledges for months on end.  Curious if anyone got a full six months or more out of the stock ones.  I don’t really feel like paying for shipping for another set of the replacement ones.

I’ve currently got some replacement bushings in, they are the regular orange color…so hard tho. Tripping me out. I took a good 3-4 year indy break, these were in the parts bin, slapped em in. Feel weird.

That being said, the stock bushings that come with the trucks have been well sorted out, for awhile, in my opinion. I’ve genuinely enjoyed mine. Durable too. For what it’s worth, I don’t really fuck up bushings that much. My two most used truck brands are venture and thunder, and both have crumbly bushings. Mine break and don’t really bother me.
 Stock indy bushings feel higher quality than those.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #11211 on: May 04, 2022, 04:08:45 PM »

I went on a bushing odyssey and ended up back on stock indy's. I feel like I tried everything and at the end of the day, the stock oranges once broken in just feel the best. The conical Blue medium hard indy aftermarkets would be a close second.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #11212 on: May 04, 2022, 04:24:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I went on a bushing odyssey and ended up back on stock indy's. I feel like I tried everything and at the end of the day, the stock oranges once broken in just feel the best.

For the most part, same. I did end up putting some old Ace bushings on a pair of 149s I got at a thrift store, which already had Bones hards on them, and this worked well. But yeah, I fucked around with bushings for a year before eventually coming back around to skate bone-stock 144s.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #11213 on: May 04, 2022, 06:01:28 PM »

They’ve been feeling great for at least the past six months. Soft, bouncy, durable. I put some in my Venture HIs and they feel so much better than the stock ones. Makes them turn quick, more like a Thunder.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 726
« Reply #11214 on: May 04, 2022, 08:01:40 PM »
Sounds like a lot of love for the stock Indy bushings.  Thanks everyone

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #11215 on: May 04, 2022, 09:41:35 PM »
I messed with bushings for Ace AF1 66's for about six months and eventually ended back riding stock.

The combo I settled on for the longest time was Riptide 80a barrel with stock cone upfront and 90a barrel with bones medium cone in rear, flat washers on top both front and back.

Becoming more accustomed to riding loose I chucked the stock bushings in again and realized I should have just stuck with them.

I do run a flat washer roadside in the front truck and a filed down roadside cup washer in the rear (thinner height w/outside edges reduced so as to avoid biting into hanger).

Lately I've been skating switch more often so it is possible I'll even out truck tightness from front to back as the next step.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #11216 on: May 05, 2022, 12:17:15 PM »
I remembered why my new trucks and bushings don't feel as good as my old ones and I am finally happy now with them Indy 144 tits.

Indy aftermarket 92a barrel bushings. Cut the top bushing down like 0.3" and made the kingpin shorter with a angle grinder.
I hope ya all understand my english and what I mean.

IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11217 on: May 05, 2022, 07:18:45 PM »
I remembered why my new trucks and bushings don't feel as good as my old ones and I am finally happy now with them Indy 144 tits.

Indy aftermarket 92a barrel bushings. Cut the top bushing down like 0.3" and made the kingpin shorter with a angle grinder.
I hope ya all understand my english and what I mean.

Looks good!

That is exactly what I do with a lot of my setups and also for other people who want something similar, or if the truck is down to axle, it works really well to avoid kingpin issues.

I found any of those aftermarket Indy bushings were good (but especially for me the 92 duro sets), once set up do not break or have problems, so after getting things where I want them, I can take the kinpin down a bit and skate them like that until they are done.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #11218 on: May 06, 2022, 06:36:36 PM »
NFG bushings are live on their site, pivot cups too -

https://www.nfgmfg.com/shop

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD