Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220924 times)

hobochimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11370 on: June 21, 2022, 05:26:39 PM »
I know I’ve seen/heard rumors of an Indy stage 12. Not sure if I believe it’s happening any time so yet, but I do have one interesting thing I’ve noticed. I don’t know his last name, Terrill J. Who skates Indy and Nike sb flow and I think FA/Hockey flow too has been skating some mysterious trucks on his stories recently. I’ve noticed them on and off and since he’s skated these mystery trucks He’s been on Indy trips so he’s still definitely on Indy. I’ll attach some screenshots and his Instagram. He doesn’t have any hard posts of him with the trucks. Just something I found interesting. Been following him for a little bit. Dude seems like he’s got a good future in skating.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CbROIc_L3-Y/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #11371 on: June 21, 2022, 06:51:46 PM »
I know I’ve seen/heard rumors of an Indy stage 12. Not sure if I believe it’s happening any time so yet, but I do have one interesting thing I’ve noticed. I don’t know his last name, Terrill J. Who skates Indy and Nike sb flow and I think FA/Hockey flow too has been skating some mysterious trucks on his stories recently. I’ve noticed them on and off and since he’s skated these mystery trucks He’s been on Indy trips so he’s still definitely on Indy. I’ll attach some screenshots and his Instagram. He doesn’t have any hard posts of him with the trucks. Just something I found interesting. Been following him for a little bit. Dude seems like he’s got a good future in skating.

That person does rip.
The screenshots look like a cutdown 215. Which would be sick.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #11372 on: June 21, 2022, 09:44:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That person does rip.

Clips kinda look like an older stage?

Pics def have a 215 look to them. It's odd Indy doesn't use the 101 or 215 hanger shape for regs...unless they just don't hold up to the rigors of today's street skating? All they need to do is trim that yoke down to be competitive on weight.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11373 on: June 22, 2022, 06:38:20 AM »

Without seeing the updated replies, I was going to say the same thing.

Looks like a 215 in the build in a normal size truck width, in much the same way as some others had cut down 215s to smaller sizes, so I think if anything that might be the next stage if they did one, all in that shape.

Screenshot super close up might be a bit redundant now, but here it is anyway.

I would also refer to two pages in this thread, 89 and 335 with info and pics on 215s cut down, the video especially.  Some of you were there as well in the first round of fun on page 89.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg2685431#msg2685431

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3535659#msg3535659

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

IpathCats

« Reply #11374 on: June 22, 2022, 06:45:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Looks like Thunder is really testing IKP. Ben Degros is shredding some?

[close]

Nice find.

I guess it is not so much a secret as others have been seen with them, but here is a screen shot, looking pretty normal really.

Why not just add some baseplate too and fix both of the major issues with thunders in one go? 1/8"-1/4" extra baseplate would make a world of difference. I'm slowly getting used to it on my thunders, really enjoying them otherwise. but it just seems unnecessary, serves no purpose having it so short. Is there a benefit to the short baseplate that im missing?

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #11375 on: June 22, 2022, 07:52:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice find.

I guess it is not so much a secret as others have been seen with them, but here is a screen shot, looking pretty normal really.

[close]

Why not just add some baseplate too and fix both of the major issues with thunders in one go? 1/8"-1/4" extra baseplate would make a world of difference. I'm slowly getting used to it on my thunders, really enjoying them otherwise. but it just seems unnecessary, serves no purpose having it so short. Is there a benefit to the short baseplate that im missing?

Probably weight savings and also the baseplate really doesn't make a difference unless you're skating a perfect ledge. Even then a bit of wax on the side clears that up.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #11376 on: June 22, 2022, 08:51:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice find.

[close]

I would argue some people don't think it needs to be "fixed", some people prefer to slide against the wheels on thunders as opposed to against the baseplate on other trucks. Might give them more control like a powerslide. i can't relate because I suck and can't slide very well on anything, but having recently switched to thunders there was a bit of a learning curve but now i'm pretty used to it. Changing hardware can be annoying though.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11377 on: June 22, 2022, 09:54:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

That person does rip.
[close]

Pics def have a 215 look to them. It's odd Indy doesn't use the 101 or 215 hanger shape for regs...unless they just don't hold up to the rigors of today's street skating? All they need to do is trim that yoke down to be competitive on weight.

I said fuck it and sent a DM. I’ll let you guys know if he responds.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #11378 on: June 22, 2022, 03:31:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

That person does rip.
[close]

[close]

I said fuck it and sent a DM. I’ll let you guys know if he responds.

Same here. Been a few days

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11379 on: June 22, 2022, 05:11:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

That person does rip.
[close]

Agree clips look like an older indy

Frank and Fred

« Reply #11380 on: June 22, 2022, 06:16:41 PM »
Whatever trucks he's on appear to be working very well.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11381 on: June 22, 2022, 11:03:18 PM »
Whatever trucks he's on appear to be working very well.

When that person is skating, they make it look very good. Very good.

IpathCats

« Reply #11382 on: June 23, 2022, 10:31:19 AM »

I would argue some people don't think it needs to be "fixed", some people prefer to slide against the wheels on thunders as opposed to against the baseplate on other trucks. Might give them more control like a powerslide. i can't relate because I suck and can't slide very well on anything, but having recently switched to thunders there was a bit of a learning curve but now i'm pretty used to it. Changing hardware can be annoying though.

I've never heard anyone say they prefer it. Only that its manageable, which it is. It's not a deal breaker, I just dont understand why they wouldnt want to improve it. unless there is a silent thunder majority out there who loves waxing the side of ledges and having to try harder for nose/tail slides.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #11383 on: June 23, 2022, 11:46:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've never heard anyone say they prefer it. Only that its manageable, which it is. It's not a deal breaker, I just dont understand why they wouldnt want to improve it. unless there is a silent thunder majority out there who loves waxing the side of ledges and having to try harder for nose/tail slides.

I prefer it honestly. It feels more consistent to me.  I just hate wheelbite otherwise I would probably stick with thunder.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #11384 on: June 23, 2022, 11:56:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I prefer it honestly. It feels more consistent to me.  I just hate wheelbite otherwise I would probably stick with thunder.

Paperclip just said it. Also Ishod I think.

IpathCats

« Reply #11385 on: June 23, 2022, 11:58:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Paperclip just said it. Also Ishod I think.

well color me surprised. I'm an ishod stan, not aware of him saying it though.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #11386 on: June 23, 2022, 12:04:31 PM »
I think it comes down to what you’re actually trying to slide across. I definitely slide my baseplates on noseslides and tailslides

fuck you bama

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11387 on: June 23, 2022, 12:11:25 PM »
Untitled by
I literally never even thought about thunder baseplates inhibiting contact with the ledge. Here is mine and I don't really tail/nose slide rails except for the occasional blunt. Mostly ledges of all types, sharp corners, rounded, etc. Don't notice a difference. Skating aces now and also not noticing anything different with slides. I can also just be clueless. My most used wheels with these were 54mm conical fulls.

IpathCats

« Reply #11388 on: June 23, 2022, 12:23:15 PM »
Untitled by
I literally never even thought about thunder baseplates inhibiting contact with the ledge. Here is mine and I don't really tail/nose slide rails except for the occasional blunt. Mostly ledges of all types, sharp corners, rounded, etc. Don't notice a difference. Skating aces now and also not noticing anything different with slides. I can also just be clueless. My most used wheels with these were 54mm conical fulls.

I do lots of nose/tail/blunt slides. its def a factor. I have marks on my thunder baseplates too. again, its not a deal breaker, and the tradeoffs are worth it to me, im skating well on these thunders lately. The trick i notice it MOST on is bluntslides on rails. all you hear are wheel sounds on thunder. on venture/ace/indy/lurp you could really get right on that baseplate and get some serious distance, and it sounded like a grind, all baseplate.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11389 on: June 23, 2022, 12:29:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Untitled by
[close]

I do lots of nose/tail/blunt slides. its def a factor. I have marks on my thunder baseplates too. again, its not a deal breaker, and the tradeoffs are worth it to me, im skating well on these thunders lately. The trick i notice it MOST on is bluntslides on rails. all you hear are wheel sounds on thunder. on venture/ace/indy/lurp you could really get right on that baseplate and get some serious distance, and it sounded like a grind, all baseplate.
Ok yeah I think its my lack of awareness. I don't think they will do anything about it though. I would be down for the tweak but the investment vs new customers gained probably wouldn't be significant enough for dlx.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11390 on: June 23, 2022, 05:00:21 PM »

Sure some people want the Thunder baseplates extended, but the guys that ride them professionally seem to be happy with them just the way they are and if you change something they have been used to for a long time, then things get really weird all round.

From that perspective, I would say there is definitely not going to be a change in the length of the Thunder baseplates any time soon, especially if what had been rumour of Ishod testing some new versions but liking the regular ones more was true, but that was more speculation I think.

Everyone can choose which trucks they like to ride too, but I can understand some people like the feel of Thunder but want a longer baseplate.  Not much to really do about it other than weld some extra metal on if you are so keen.  That would be an interesting post on Fuckwithyourtrucks instagram account.

https://www.instagram.com/fuckwithyourtrucks/

* Just in case anyone hadn't seen it.

IpathCats

« Reply #11391 on: June 23, 2022, 06:27:47 PM »

Everyone can choose which trucks they like to ride too, but I can understand some people like the feel of Thunder but want a longer baseplate.  Not much to really do about it other than weld some extra metal on if you are so keen.  That would be an interesting post on Fuckwithyourtrucks instagram account.

https://www.instagram.com/fuckwithyourtrucks/

* Just in case anyone hadn't seen it.

From this a new standard of madness will emerge

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #11392 on: June 23, 2022, 06:49:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Agreed. I don’t think it’s a problem, I find it advantageous.  Feels like it “locks in” better on slides for me.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11393 on: June 23, 2022, 07:13:58 PM »
What's the take on the Forged Mid Indys? Haven't ridden Indys in over 2 years because of the weight, but this could be interesting at 50.5mm. Not a fan of the IKP, they just never remain tight.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #11394 on: June 23, 2022, 10:47:05 PM »
It's not like Indy's remove any possibility of sticking. I just got my forged indy's, so gonne be fun to see if it cures my truck madness. It does seem like I get less hangups from smiths/feebles with Indy's, and they somewhat appear to have a lower kingpin then Thunder? The bushings are also way softer, so I actually have to tighten the kingpin nut, which I guess give some extra margin for error.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #11395 on: June 23, 2022, 11:02:28 PM »
I was thinking the forged mids and a krux or that seat bolt set up.  I think you could just lock tite no? 

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11396 on: June 24, 2022, 01:28:24 AM »
I was thinking the forged mids and a krux or that seat bolt set up.  I think you could just lock tite no?

I used some super glue on the nut at the bottom of the baseplate, not sure if they got looser as I skated or were always that loose and I haven't ridden them in a while. I'll find out tomorrow when I get a full session in, if I have to tighten mid session I'll know its the nut getting loose.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #11397 on: June 24, 2022, 04:17:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I used some super glue on the nut at the bottom of the baseplate, not sure if they got looser as I skated or were always that loose and I haven't ridden them in a while. I'll find out tomorrow when I get a full session in, if I have to tighten mid session I'll know its the nut getting loose.

Even if the nut is glued in place, the extra space between the threads and the baseplate (as opposed to just a straight pressed kingpin) allows for some slight movement, over time this causes ikp trucks to loosen. Loctite will prevent this, it's used on cars where the weight/force/frequency of vibration is much higher. Loctite is designed to prevent things from vibrating loose. Blue will work for a while if you don't fuck with your trucks after applying, red will work basically indefinitely, but will be harder to remove, you'll need to dial your tightness in quickly before it hardens.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11398 on: June 24, 2022, 05:11:45 AM »

A set of the inverted kingpin Indys seemed to work well (and not loosen off at all) when I had the kingpin down as far into it as it would go, which was ok as the bushings were pretty much how I skated them anyway.

Other people I know seem to have had no end of trouble with the inverted kingpin assembly though, with the kingpin nut coming loose in the shaft, the kingpin not staying in place and one guy having to loosen off the kingpin to get the bushings right so it was almost out too far and sat up too high.

Thinking the right bushings with the kingpin down hard might be the answer, but it might be a struggle for some people to get it just right with the right bushings too.

I also tried (with success) two other options of kingpins, both with longer threads, so I could get it down lower and both stayed in place as well.  They were old kingpins from Krux and Silver trucks, which had way more threads down the kingpins than the current Indy or some other brands do, so I am thinking that might be the best option to find other inverted kingpins to use in them, for people who can't get the Indy ones down far enough.

IpathCats

« Reply #11399 on: June 24, 2022, 05:32:29 AM »

A set of the inverted kingpin Indys seemed to work well (and not loosen off at all) when I had the kingpin down as far into it as it would go, which was ok as the bushings were pretty much how I skated them anyway.

Other people I know seem to have had no end of trouble with the inverted kingpin assembly though, with the kingpin nut coming loose in the shaft, the kingpin not staying in place and one guy having to loosen off the kingpin to get the bushings right so it was almost out too far and sat up too high.

Thinking the right bushings with the kingpin down hard might be the answer, but it might be a struggle for some people to get it just right with the right bushings too.

I also tried (with success) two other options of kingpins, both with longer threads, so I could get it down lower and both stayed in place as well.  They were old kingpins from Krux and Silver trucks, which had way more threads down the kingpins than the current Indy or some other brands do, so I am thinking that might be the best option to find other inverted kingpins to use in them, for people who can't get the Indy ones down far enough.

if you have it cranked as far as the threads will allow the non threaded part of the kingpin is what is making contact with the baseplate at that point so there would be far less wiggle room. makes sense.