Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220716 times)

Ronnie Rodriguez

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11400 on: June 24, 2022, 06:28:47 AM »
I gotta say that I find the "fuckwithyourtrucks" guy to be incredibly annoying, and the fact that he is measuring in imperial units isn't helping.

See this. Not a fan of this dudes vibe. Feel like I am getting cyberbullied when I look at his posts.

"NO COMMENTS OR ELSE!" b/w "TELL ME WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING AND HOW MUCH YOU MAKE IN THE COMMENTS, GO!!!"

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #11401 on: June 24, 2022, 06:35:37 AM »
Expand Quote
I gotta say that I find the "fuckwithyourtrucks" guy to be incredibly annoying, and the fact that he is measuring in imperial units isn't helping.
[close]

See this. Not a fan of this dudes vibe. Feel like I am getting cyberbullied when I look at his posts.

"NO COMMENTS OR ELSE!" b/w "TELL ME WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING AND HOW MUCH YOU MAKE IN THE COMMENTS, GO!!!"

This dude is insane. He just blocked me for respectfully asking why he thinks that grinding off material waayyy above the pivot changes the stability of a truck in any way whatsoever (instead of just making it easier to bend the axle...). Basically all the comments were asking the same thing and he just couldn't give an answer that made any sense, but he's 100% sure he's right.

IpathCats

« Reply #11402 on: June 24, 2022, 06:37:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This dude is insane. He just blocked me for respectfully asking why he thinks that grinding off material waayyy above the pivot changes the stability of a truck in any way whatsoever (instead of just making it easier to bend the axle...). Basically all the comments were asking the same thing and he just couldn't give an answer that made any sense, but he's 100% sure he's right.

lol this guy sounds like madness incarnate. Good troll opportunity if he doesnt just block you.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #11403 on: June 24, 2022, 10:39:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's a very minor thing, but he was making posts *all the time* about how skate shops would rather just sell you new trucks rather than replace a broken kingpin. I don't know if that's true where he is, maybe it is, but both of my local shops sells kingpins, pivots cups, etc. But also what do you expect shops to do? Buy a $500 arbor press and install it for you? Get real, it's a fucking retail operation, not a machine shop.

I've never see his "what do you do for a living" comments but that's rich. I'm looking at his page now and Jesus what a vain asshole.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11404 on: June 24, 2022, 10:40:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This one is baffling to me, and you see it a lot. Does no one know what a fulcrum is, how it works?

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #11405 on: June 24, 2022, 11:23:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

This one is baffling to me, and you see it a lot. Does no one know what a fulcrum is, how it works?
I’ve seen that post a few times and at least one person question it; my best guess has been that it’s in reference to how truck companies gradually filled out or better braced the hanger at the center and by reverting trucks to a less beefy profile, they behave more like older, less-stable trucks. I came up after trucks had started to beef up in the 80s so I don’t have much of a reference point for how trucks felt before then.
I disagree with the stance that it’s not acceptable to ask why, especially given that those are not reposts of other accounts but seemingly original content, but I can understand that maybe it’s difficult for him to explain and that trying it yourself might be necessary. Definitely a weird vibe from his posts and comments but it’s way more interesting to me than the typical generic “skate” accounts just reposting bangers with no credit and a sea of hashtags.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #11406 on: June 24, 2022, 11:49:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
I’ve seen that post a few times and at least one person question it; my best guess has been that it’s in reference to how truck companies gradually filled out or better braced the hanger at the center and by reverting trucks to a less beefy profile, they behave more like older, less-stable trucks. I came up after trucks had started to beef up in the 80s so I don’t have much of a reference point for how trucks felt before then.
I disagree with the stance that it’s not acceptable to ask why, especially given that those are not reposts of other accounts but seemingly original content, but I can understand that maybe it’s difficult for him to explain and that trying it yourself might be necessary. Definitely a weird vibe from his posts and comments but it’s way more interesting to me than the typical generic “skate” accounts just reposting bangers with no credit and a sea of hashtags.

But that feeling came from changes in the geometry of the truck. Regardless of how beefy or dainty the hanger is, it has no effect on its turning characteristics. I feel #fuckwithyourtrucks conflates structural stability with turning stability. He also posted a photo of my trucks on his Instagram, and I'd rather he didn't.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11407 on: June 24, 2022, 11:55:17 AM »
I guess I know who to block. Don't want mine reposted either.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #11408 on: June 24, 2022, 12:45:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

But that feeling came from changes in the geometry of the truck. Regardless of how beefy or dainty the hanger is, it has no effect on its turning characteristics. I feel #fuckwithyourtrucks conflates structural stability with turning stability. He also posted a photo of my trucks on his Instagram, and I'd rather he didn't.

It may have been me. I used to have one of your inverted kingpin mods bookmarked on my old account and may (or may not) have shared it in a moment of over-enthusiasm before I realized that guy kinda sucks.

So if I did do it, I'm sorry. and if I didn't, I'm still sorry.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's a very minor thing, but he was making posts *all the time* about how skate shops would rather just sell you new trucks rather than replace a broken kingpin. I don't know if that's true where he is, maybe it is, but both of my local shops sells kingpins, pivots cups, etc. But also what do you expect shops to do? Buy a $500 arbor press and install it for you? Get real, it's a fucking retail operation, not a machine shop.

I've never see his "what do you do for a living" comments but that's rich. I'm looking at his page now and Jesus what a vain asshole.

Yeah, not in Insta these days but he seemed to love to talk about shops not doing their part by fixing gear. I was probably hyperbolic about the jobs thing, but I do remember him either being like "No comments, you guys are mean" or asking some weirdly personal shit.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #11409 on: June 24, 2022, 12:52:44 PM »
He turned the comments off once after a long post about how kids that flip Conical Fulls are dumb because you're not riding the intended shape. Which did not make sense for a guy that advocates mucking about with all sorts of truck geometry that designers never intended
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11410 on: June 24, 2022, 01:01:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

It may have been me. I used to have one of your inverted kingpin mods bookmarked on my old account and may (or may not) have shared it in a moment of over-enthusiasm before I realized that guy kinda sucks.

So if I did do it, I'm sorry. and if I didn't, I'm still sorry.

Haha, it's all good. It just made for an awkward conversation at the park once because I had no clue what "hashtag fuck with your trucks" was. I thought the dude was fucking with me.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11411 on: June 24, 2022, 01:42:31 PM »
The weird thing is that I don’t think he gets a lot of negative comments, but if any one person gives him pushback or disagrees he apparently freaks out and blocks them then disables comments.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11412 on: June 24, 2022, 02:39:54 PM »
Truck madness is the only explanation…..

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11413 on: June 24, 2022, 05:20:18 PM »
The weird thing is that I don’t think he gets a lot of negative comments, but if any one person gives him pushback or disagrees he apparently freaks out and blocks them then disables comments.

I only looked and never commented, even when he had asked for feedback, but the one thing I always notice is most (if not all) content is from others, so when people keep asking him about it, he is probably getting sick of it.  No excuse to be a dick to anyone about it though, but at least now he credits the person he got it from, so others can direct their questions to that individual, rather than his post.

Maybe I am more of a helper at heart, so would always be a little more keen to explain and inform others with any modifications I make or do, but I guess if you want to run an instagram account like that, you have to be willing to take the good and the bad feedback and the million questions that go with it.

As far as shops selling whatever they can, I have seen it time and time again where people are forced to buy a new set of trucks for something as simple as a broken kingpin as they either flatly refuse to help or don't have the tools for the job.  I know the last Indy forged baseplate with hollow kingpin was such a mission to get out, the baseplate was broken and done by the time it came out, so there was not a whole lot that could be done anyway.  Luckily I had a spare old baseplate with intact kingpin handy and it was a good customer, so that wasn't such a big deal for me, but I draw the line at removing griptape if it is not the easy peel type stuff.

Give them the tools to try, or tell them how to do it and let them deal with it, but if they can't sort it out, then buying new whatever is about the only other way to keep them rolling.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #11414 on: June 24, 2022, 05:58:44 PM »

So just to be a stoned contrarian I taped 50g weights to my hanger in various places to see if it made a difference. If removing mass dramatically affects the turn then surely adding it would do the same, right?

No discernible difference in the turn. Don't even notice the extra weight unless you pop.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #11415 on: June 24, 2022, 08:53:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So just to be a stoned contrarian I taped 50g weights to my hanger in various places to see if it made a difference. If removing mass dramatically affects the turn then surely adding it would do the same, right?

No discernible difference in the turn. Don't even notice the extra weight unless you pop.
Maybe it’s just the thrill of not knowing when your hanger is gonna give out.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11416 on: June 28, 2022, 02:55:49 PM »
I dunno where to post this and keep in mind this is approximate.

I put my magnetic angle gauge on the kingpin of each truck and then attached it to a thick steel rule and measured what I am calling the yoke angle, which is the center of the pivot nub to center of the axle.

Royal 144 raw: kingpin 15, yoke 20
Venture cast 144: kingpin 20, yoke 20
Thunder cast 148: kingpin 20, yoke 15
Indy Standard cast 144: kingpin 16, yoke 20

So I'm missing a lot of trucks, but this kinda explains why Royals and Indy's feel so close and why Thunder have so much twitch. I think the steeper yoke angle means a longer carve? Totally beyond my geometry knowledge. We do know that the Royal bottom bushing is taller than Indy, which might push the hanger up slightly.

One thing I found interesting is the nub angle position relative to the axle. So on most trucks the nub angle isn't the same as what I measured above which is just from axle to bottom of nub. The nub itself is like part of the hanger and then the hanger angles after it.

For Venture and Royal the nub angle is slightly in front of the axle (towards kingpin). On Thunder it is slightly behind the axle (towards the baseplate). On Indy it is precisely in the middle. I could be full of shit and I'm not an engineer but I wonder if that is why Royals and Ventures have a bit more on center stability before they arc and why Thunders are known for twitching?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 08:37:24 PM by LebowskisRug »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #11417 on: June 29, 2022, 03:58:24 AM »

I put my magnetic angle gauge on the kingpin of each truck and then attached it to a thick steel rule and measured what I am calling the yoke angle, which is the center of the pivot nub to center of the axle.

So I'm missing a lot of trucks, but this kinda explains why Royals and Indy's feel so close and why Thunder have so much twitch. I think the steeper yoke angle means a longer carve? Totally beyond my geometry knowledge. We do know that the Royal bottom bushing is taller than Indy, which might push the hanger up slightly.

One thing I found interesting is the nub angle position relative to the axle. So on most trucks the nub angle isn't the same as what I measured above which is just from axle to bottom of nub. The nub itself is like part of the hanger and then the hanger angles after it.

For Venture and Royal the nub angle is slightly in front of the axle (towards kingpin). On Thunder it is slightly behind the axle (towards the baseplate). On Indy it is precisely in the middle. I could be full of shit and I'm not an engineer but I wonder if that is why Royals and Ventures have a bit more on center stability before they arc and why Thunders are known for twitching?

Mad, but also interesting, so thanks

IpathCats

« Reply #11418 on: June 29, 2022, 04:34:18 AM »

Papa Ben Degros would be proud.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11419 on: June 29, 2022, 05:14:32 AM »

There are more information in this google doc if you're interested. It seems accurate for weights, but I don't know about angle measurements:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13rCMIthFb59Y-xrveasWk4GqR9jgd85fXDCIFm3g15I/edit#gid=0

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #11420 on: June 29, 2022, 09:31:22 PM »
Was dorking around with my forged mindies, put the mindy hanger on a regular forged plate (both photos are using the same plate/bushings)...didn't work out so well, look how offset the kinpin is in the yoke (top pic); also, never noticed how different the shape of the hanger yoke area was on the mids (text denotes the hanger, both sitting on regular forged plate from a set of TI).

« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 06:12:15 AM by Xen »

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #11421 on: July 03, 2022, 11:29:31 AM »
Anyone bought the mids baseplate and slapped on some indy std hangar on? I usually have to tighten indy's by a good margin to not have them too loose, so I wonder if I will actually get a solid benefit, in terms of kingpin clearence.
The mids kingpin clearance is obviously a hoax....

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #11422 on: July 03, 2022, 11:36:42 AM »
Anyone bought the mids baseplate and slapped on some indy std hangar on? I usually have to tighten indy's by a good margin to not have them too loose, so I wonder if I will actually get a solid benefit, in terms of kingpin clearence.
I had an older, beat up set of 169 hollows. Threw the Krux kingpin in the mid baseplate and they’re super loose. Definitely gonna throw on some harder bushings to compensate but, I will say that I don’t hang up on slappy smiths or hit the kingpin.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #11423 on: July 03, 2022, 05:44:26 PM »

I did a while back. No benefit as the 'clearance' was done via the hanger, not the plate.

It's true; otherwise they wouldn't have had to beef up the hanger and add weight to make it worth it. So odd.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11424 on: July 03, 2022, 06:20:17 PM »

I swapped some over just to see what they were like.  The pics tell the story, especially the last pic with the truck sitting on the kingpin.  This is with the inverted kingpin tightened right down, which was fairly normal feeling for the bushings for me anyway.

Would I recommend it?  Honestly not sure either way, but when I angle grind down the kingpin top in my normal standard trucks I get a lot more clearance anyway, but that is with the low top bushing sets.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQItVoZAUsb/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMGt_osFWe0/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11425 on: July 04, 2022, 02:08:40 PM »
Pedro Barros claiming he is testing a new truck:

http://www.instagram.com/tv/CfgsyzqjR9T/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #11426 on: July 04, 2022, 02:12:06 PM »

His caption needs no alteration for the indy marketing

freidnly guy

• Rep: 15
« Reply #11427 on: July 04, 2022, 03:01:44 PM »

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #11428 on: July 04, 2022, 03:51:57 PM »

This link isn't working for me, I spent too long looking at what came up trying to figure it out haha. For the archives:

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #11429 on: July 04, 2022, 04:35:09 PM »
https://instagram.com/stories/blacklabelskates/2875155083807648468?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Looks like they're making 215 hangers in a slimmer size. Or perhaps this is the new Indy that may or may not be coming out, as we saw earlier in the thread with the dude skating street with this style hanger.