Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221573 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11670 on: September 26, 2022, 01:46:56 PM »
Risers make them taller than Standards so I'd say get some Standard plates.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11671 on: September 26, 2022, 02:46:19 PM »
I’ve ridden standard Indys for as long as I can remember, but felt like switching it up and got some forged hollow 144s after reading great things about them. I love the lightness, but can’t stand the wheelbite I’m getting. I’m a thin dude, ride spitfire conical full 53s, and like my trucks somewhat loose, but even then I never experienced wheelbite like this. No amount of tightening/loosening makes it feel better. I think this fucking baseplate’s 2mm difference is killing me.

Should I try risers? I’ve long ridden them on my cruiser boards, but I’ve never needed them on my “regular” board. I don’t know what else to do, this shit is driving me insane.

Try some 1/16 Ace pads. Should get you close to standard height.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11672 on: September 26, 2022, 07:01:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks for the answers guys

I’m not really trying to jump on the krux wagon until they come out with their own mids or lows cause as mentioned by all

Tall…way too tall and no turn, like a bizarro Indy

I wanted to see if anyone knew the Indy stage they used for reference for the krux geo so I can stick to whatever Indy or trucks that would be, but lower and better at turning

The Indy mids were nice but some days they feel heavy

I like my venture 5.6 but thunder 148 aren’t far off on that style of turnability and wb and thunders are more versatile

I have 3 setups right now trying to ride each setup on rotation to gauge what actually gives me the most consistency, confidence and ease

Should I reveal the dark secret of my current favorite setup I’m starting to grow less ashamed about?

It’s the setup most slappers agree with the design and geo but not the brand and look ::)

I got my deck shape on lock of what I want but always coming back to what trucks… :P
[close]

Just say no to Krux and yes to ML?
[close]

I would agree with the ML but I recently set mine up again and the bushings were straight ass. Didn't fit the yoke and my trucks were rattling so badly I thought I was riding without pivot cups. Didn't help the pivot cups are hard plastic, swapping to generic pivot cups didn't help either and the hanger was wiggling around like crazy.

Edit: huge bummer, they had an excellent pinch
[close]

It's been a minute but yeah, those cups are hard af...if I recall even && mentioned that the ML 'hardware' wasn't great..FWIW the tensor cups fit well and of course swapping to ACE bushings ;)
[close]

$14 pivot cups for $28 trucks. 

https://www.riptidesports.com/pivot-cups/mini-logo-pivot-cup/

I have a set in mine - although I haven't skated my Mini Logo trucks in a couple years.

No thanks, I don't like them THAT much.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #11673 on: September 26, 2022, 07:41:01 PM »
It’s sick there are bushings that cost more than the trucks and psychopaths that are willing to buy them…..

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #11674 on: September 26, 2022, 07:55:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I’m not really trying to jump on the krux wagon until they come out with their own mids or lows cause as mentioned by all

I wanted to see if anyone knew the Indy stage they used for reference for the krux geo so I can stick to whatever Indy or trucks that would be, but lower and better at turning

I like my venture 5.6 but thunder 148 aren’t far off on that style of turnability and wb and thunders are more versatile

I have 3 setups right now trying to ride each setup on rotation to gauge what actually gives me the most consistency, confidence and ease

Should I reveal the dark secret of my current favorite setup I’m starting to grow less ashamed about?

It’s the setup most slappers agree with the design and geo but not the brand and look ::)

I got my deck shape on lock of what I want but always coming back to what trucks… :P
[close]

[close]

I would agree with the ML but I recently set mine up again and the bushings were straight ass. Didn't fit the yoke and my trucks were rattling so badly I thought I was riding without pivot cups. Didn't help the pivot cups are hard plastic, swapping to generic pivot cups didn't help either and the hanger was wiggling around like crazy.

[close]

It's been a minute but yeah, those cups are hard af...if I recall even && mentioned that the ML 'hardware' wasn't great..FWIW the tensor cups fit well and of course swapping to ACE bushings ;)
[close]

$14 pivot cups for $28 trucks. 

https://www.riptidesports.com/pivot-cups/mini-logo-pivot-cup/

I have a set in mine - although I haven't skated my Mini Logo trucks in a couple years.

Haha yeah you all got me

Currently riding

8.2 krooked full shape
Mini logo raw 8.38
Stock pivot cups
Mini logo 94a orange bushings upgrade
Powell dragon 52mm
Race reds

This setup is so good and total control idk what to think but this is it until I need a reminder

I ride tight rather than medium or trying to be loose after the shame was washed away hearing Chris rise with the fallen zero 4 lyfe cole said he rides them tight

I was trying to hang but loose trucks did not save my life and I just can’t pop for sake with no control, my ankles aren’t built like you cool kats

Now I’m about to drop $14 for those green pivot cups

I like them that much and im psycho

You calling me crayyyyy…zee??
-Roberto from futurama

Or would blue be better? ???
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #11675 on: September 26, 2022, 11:12:18 PM »
So Indy offers conical aftermarket bushings and I've never tried them so I'm finally going to pull the trigger. Conical being the same shape as bones bushings.

Anyways, I'm torn between the blue color (92a) or the red (88a). I'm a little over 200lbs and I can't ride super soft bushings, but hards take forever to break in, so I've always stuck with medium Bones. However, Indy's red ones which are considered soft, are 88a and not ridiculously soft like Bones' 81a. Anyone think I'd be good with the red ones, or should I not risk destroying them quickly and go with the blues?

The 88a get a bad rap on this forum, I like them/never had an issue with them. They are not 'soft' by any means and stiffer than say, an 88a supercush. Personally, I'd stick with the conical 92s since you are used to the bones med...as when they are fully broken in, they'll end up being a few duro softer feeling anyway.

No thanks, I don't like them THAT much.

For real...maybe if I was ML flow or something.

Since indy moved to china, I've stopped using riptides and just stick with stock as they're so much better now. Those NFG cups I picked up are still going strong tho, great replacement option.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11676 on: September 27, 2022, 05:57:22 AM »
Maybe not the right thread for this.

Why is it that a 149 feels different than a 144/148 with washers? I've got 4 washers on the inside of a 148 and my friend has the same bushings in 149. Weighs about the same, trucks have about the same kingpin threads showing, but his trucks feel definitely less twitchy. Only difference is he is on Spitfire classics. When we put the boards together the centerline of our wheels is super similar.

I've got a friend riding Indy's now that feels similar about his stacked 144 vs 149.

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #11677 on: September 27, 2022, 06:02:00 AM »
Maybe not the right thread for this.

Why is it that a 149 feels different than a 144/148 with washers? I've got 4 washers on the inside of a 148 and my friend has the same bushings in 149. Weighs about the same, trucks have about the same kingpin threads showing, but his trucks feel definitely less twitchy. Only difference is he is on Spitfire classics. When we put the boards together the centerline of our wheels is super similar.

I've got a friend riding Indy's now that feels similar about his stacked 144 vs 149.
It's probably something to do with the actual hanger being wider and not just the wheel to wheel length.

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #11678 on: September 27, 2022, 08:34:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I put Generic indy pivots in my ML’s and they seemed loads better, although they are the slightly older model with the stamp on the hanger

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #11679 on: September 28, 2022, 07:02:25 PM »
What’s the logic/purpose of not running the cupped washers underneath/on top of the top & bottom bushing?

I’ve done this before, as well as with the bones replacement flat washers, but I’m never actually sure what it does.

Any advantage to having the flat washer?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11680 on: September 28, 2022, 07:59:01 PM »
On the top the washer hits the hanger on Thunder and Venture so a flat allows for a bit more turn. On Indy I didn't notice much but I thought Bones sucked on Indy so I ditched them fast.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #11681 on: September 28, 2022, 08:25:23 PM »
What’s the logic/purpose of not running the cupped washers underneath/on top of the top & bottom bushing?

I’ve done this before, as well as with the bones replacement flat washers, but I’m never actually sure what it does.

flat washer or no washer on the bottom gives less resistance to your turn. On top it gives less rebound.
I always run flat washers, and just switch bushings if something doesn't feel right.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11682 on: September 28, 2022, 10:02:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

flat washer or no washer on the bottom gives less resistance to your turn. On top it gives less rebound.
I always run flat washers, and just switch bushings if something doesn't feel right.

I was curious and got a ten pack of flat washers from a hardware store and they sure did make everything feel so much looser.

They were also about half the height of the metal of the regular washers, so even that will make everything feel so different to normal washers as well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #11683 on: September 29, 2022, 03:05:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I was curious and got a ten pack of flat washers from a hardware store and they sure did make everything feel so much looser.

They were also about half the height of the metal of the regular washers, so even that will make everything feel so different to normal washers as well.

It always amazes me how meticulous stuff can be.
The same way that athletes like Kobe shed MMS on the soles of their shoes to how an 8.25 and an 8.5 can feel largely different blows my mind. Or how a flat washer affects turning. But you can adjust to shitty gear, it makes me like skateboarding that much more.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

FGO925

« Reply #11684 on: September 29, 2022, 11:30:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It always amazes me how meticulous stuff can be.
The same way that athletes like Kobe shed MMS on the soles of their shoes to how an 8.25 and an 8.5 can feel largely different blows my mind. Or how a flat washer affects turning. But you can adjust to shitty gear, it makes me like skateboarding that much more.

It really is crazy. Pretty interesting though, the madness can really set in.

So from what you all have said, it generally makes the truck a bit “looser” feeling. I assume the rebound means how quick it snaps back to straight correct? I guess it just allows the truck carve and turn a bit more by not having a cupped washer cradle the bushing all around.

I remember once on my Indy’s with bones bushings, I grinded down the truck and kingpin so much that on super dipped smiths/feebles (most noticeable on pool coping) the flat washer and bushing itself was starting to tear and blow out.

I’m really liking my setup now: thunder team hollows, stock bushing on top and red thunder 97a on bottom, stock washers on both.

Truck tightness is so subjective, but If my trucks were a steak it would be a medium rare
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 11:37:24 AM by FGO925 »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11685 on: September 29, 2022, 11:48:32 AM »
I've never encountered (or read on this forum until now) any washer binding with Thunders? That's a thing now? Venture for sure...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #11686 on: September 29, 2022, 11:52:55 AM »
I think a big part of why people like bones bushings is because of the washer, not the bushing….

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11687 on: September 29, 2022, 12:26:11 PM »
I think a big part of why people like bones bushings is because of the washer, not the bushing….

I've never used the washers on top since they added them; usually I'll put it on the bottom to keep stock geo...except tensors, they're a prefect fit without washers and do the truck wonders.

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #11688 on: September 30, 2022, 12:49:02 AM »
I've never encountered (or read on this forum until now) any washer binding with Thunders? That's a thing now? Venture for sure...

I’m sure my top washer is binding on my 148’s. Have a horizontal, sharp groove around where the kingpin nut is both sides. I assumed it’s where the washer is stopping the turn from maxing out?

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 31
« Reply #11689 on: September 30, 2022, 02:03:09 AM »
I realized that my 147s definitely bind some time ago, too. I currently have ~46-47 (i don't have a caliper rn) worn down lil smokies conical fulls on them, so that might explain it, but I have been "noticing" it for a while. I just wondered that I got minimal wheel bite marks on the last deck, even though I did the usual amount of crookeds/smiths etc,  and investigated.
The marks on the hanger are visible and the washer gets in contact with the hanger quite a bit before wheel bite, but it is really hard to measure or get photos of it.I doesn't feel bad or limiting for me in terms of pinch/turn though. It is definitely not venture level and I don't feel like messing around with a flat washer since I am currently content with my trucks and swapping wheels is somewhat overdue anyways.
I guess it might start to happen with wheels around ~50mm on 148s and above since they are taller and wheel bite later or when using risers.

tl;dr
Definetely binds with ~46-47mm on 147s and it has been a while.
Conclusion: Might be the case with ~50mm on the larger trucks as well or when using risers, but I cannot verify.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11690 on: September 30, 2022, 06:51:51 AM »

Always has been for me, not like Venture. I'll grab a pic if I can figure out how to not be a boomer.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11691 on: September 30, 2022, 06:58:46 AM »
Of course it has.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11692 on: September 30, 2022, 07:16:13 AM »

2 months of skating, always happens, not a big deal. But apparently only happens to me on my super tight trucks.

You just live to be a douche to me even if, given the option, you could just be normal and realize that someone posted the same experience right above me.

If you just look in the setup thread at skated setups or at pro boards you'll see the same thing. It's bizarre you haven't.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 07:23:55 AM by LebowskisRug »

FGO925

« Reply #11693 on: September 30, 2022, 01:35:05 PM »
Wow, pretty interesting. I assume this only happened (top washer getting pinched against the hanger) when your doing tricks like super pinched krooks, or if you ride shakey loose and have a heavy pinch for 5-0’s and smith/feebles.

That helps me visualize why a flat washer might help give the truck more turn. On top of the bushing itself having more room and freedom to turn by not being cupped by the stock washers.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11694 on: September 30, 2022, 02:17:43 PM »
I do a good amount of curb and slappy skating and pinched crooks and 5-0s are my go-to. But unlike Venture my bushing never blows.

You can see it on de Bobby's trucks clearly here- the marks on the sides of the hanger bushing cup:

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11695 on: October 02, 2022, 12:23:26 AM »

2 months of skating, always happens, not a big deal. But apparently only happens to me on my super tight trucks.

You just live to be a douche to me even if, given the option, you could just be normal and realize that someone posted the same experience right above me.

If you just look in the setup thread at skated setups or at pro boards you'll see the same thing. It's bizarre you haven't.

Yeah, totes bizarre must be me…

Anyway, I assumed you meant washer binding. Washer binding = limiting turn. Like Super loose ventures will literally lockup. Washer preventing the truck from turning. That’s what’s happening to you?

This has nothing to do with pinch on crooks and marks obtained from said crooks. Which looks like what you’re showing in your pic?

Pretty sure the thunder team riders aren’t sucking it up with ‘binding washers’ just saying.

Regardless, I ride wheel bite loose on thunders and my stock washers have never impeded my ability to wheelbite ;) maybe if the washer had I could have less wheelbite.

Didn’t you also have some recent post about your washers are bending weirdly? Perhaps that’s the cause? Shitty washers deforming would certainly dig into the hanger. Are these old trucks? New? Rebuild kit? Has this always happened? If not how long is it been going on please let us know.

And most importantly if this isn’t impacting any of your skating then who the fuck cares you certainly shouldn’t.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 12:38:22 AM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11696 on: October 02, 2022, 07:17:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, totes bizarre must be me…

Anyway, I assumed you meant washer binding. Washer binding = limiting turn. Like Super loose ventures will literally lockup. Washer preventing the truck from turning. That’s what’s happening to you?

This has nothing to do with pinch on crooks and marks obtained from said crooks. Which looks like what you’re showing in your pic?

Pretty sure the thunder team riders aren’t sucking it up with ‘binding washers’ just saying.

Regardless, I ride wheel bite loose on thunders and my stock washers have never impeded my ability to wheelbite ;) maybe if the washer had I could have less wheelbite.

Didn’t you also have some recent post about your washers are bending weirdly? Perhaps that’s the cause? Shitty washers deforming would certainly dig into the hanger. Are these old trucks? New? Rebuild kit? Has this always happened? If not how long is it been going on please let us know.

And most importantly if this isn’t impacting any of your skating then who the fuck cares you certainly shouldn’t.

I dunno why my washer have bent, it's super weird cuz it's worse with the back truck, which takes less impact. It's only happened on this set of trucks with stock bushings? I only really care cuz over time the truck feels looser and I'm a set and forget type person with tighteness I almost never adjust shit after I find it. If it's super hot and feels looser that day then I'm riding looser that day.

I don't think it limits the turn as much as on a Venture, but I did notice when I put a flat washer on and tightened he kingpin nut in the exact same spot it felt that it was easier to touch insofar as there being less bushing compression at the end cuz the lack of a cup. I tried Bones back in the day and felt like I bit more but I was riding looser then.

I consider the marks normal but never really got them on Indy's I rode that I can recall. It definitely doesn't crack my bushings like it would on Ventures.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #11697 on: October 02, 2022, 08:05:03 AM »
I swapped out stock top bushing to thunder blues, which are same height, but slightly smaller, like 1mm.
I got such marks on the trucks aswell, after just a few minutes

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #11698 on: October 02, 2022, 09:13:35 AM »
I really detest wheelbite, and I’m a big boy, so naturally I fuck with my truck setup a lot.
The Indy risers I got for a ton of money got completely mushed, and couldn’t possibly be 1/8”, and weren’t keeping the wheels away from the board. I went to my shed and got out my carpentry spacers. They come in a big bag with sizes 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5mm. Too bad about the colour. They’re way harder but still flex somewhat. I’m probably never buying risers again. Not pretty, just did it quick and dirty with handheld drill.

At the same time I took out the Indy aftermarket super hard 96a bushings, and put the bones Hards back in. They have previously been squished in my 139 Leo Romero Hollow Lows, so now I’m using them with the washers. Also put some soap flakes in the pivot cups. Now it’s completely silent and wheelbite free. Front truck is flush nut, and rear is half a thread.

What deck is that? Can I see a picture of the whole thing? Looks sick!
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #11699 on: October 02, 2022, 09:43:50 AM »
@Creachteach that is pretty sick! Thanks for sharing!

Love the thematic coordination of the wheel and deck graphic haha.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.