Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231314 times)

Noble Experiment

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11910 on: April 15, 2023, 09:38:10 AM »
Does anyone know why new trucks start out loose sometimes but the end up tightening up on their own? I noticed this happening with new Venture's, they'll start off as a nice medium feel but then after a bit of skating they get kinda tight out of nowhere and then you gotta go back and loosen em a half turn or two. Is it the pivot cup making it feel tighter as it gets broken in? Is it the bushings?

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #11911 on: April 15, 2023, 12:47:19 PM »
Bushings firm up and get dirty, pivot cups start getting dirty and squeaky. Diminishes the initial fluid and looser feeling turn, I personally don't like it. I always keep contact points all lubed up so the turn stays lively and reboundy as possible.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11912 on: April 15, 2023, 10:56:37 PM »
Yes, thunders too….another reason to run after markets….

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #11913 on: April 16, 2023, 03:33:23 AM »
I recently went out and bought some of that graphite lube powder that some people says works the longest, but I found it to be a total mess and it didn't last long at all. Best and least messy method I've found is clean the contact points with rubbing alcohol when I take apart my trucks, then I use a beeswax-based lip balm and rub it on both sides of bushings and then on the pivot nub of the hanger and mush it into the pivot cup and repeat, then set them back up. Makes turning better and more responsive, too. The squeak won't go away forever but it lasts long enough for the process to be tolerable.

Had the exact same experience. Was a total mess. Never ever again. Solution: silicon grease.

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #11914 on: April 21, 2023, 09:12:20 PM »
Thunder 151 standards on Foy’s custom 8.5
56 conicals
1/8 riser pad
Ace low bushings
One thread of the kingpin showing on both trucks

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #11915 on: April 22, 2023, 09:47:26 AM »
Blew out my pivot cups on my thunders, using the riptide replacement and they seem really nice. Don’t notice too big of a difference but no more squeak, and they feel slightly more stable I think.

I also threw in some Thunder 94a bushings, and for some reason on my back truck the kingpin nut keeps coming loose. I don’t have the trucks that loose, The nut sits flush with no threads visable. I need to compare but it honestly makes me think maybe the Thunder brand 94a’s are actually slightly taller than the stock 90’s? Not sure.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #11916 on: April 22, 2023, 11:39:31 AM »
Blew out my pivot cups on my thunders, using the riptide replacement and they seem really nice. Don’t notice too big of a difference but no more squeak, and they feel slightly more stable I think.

I also threw in some Thunder 94a bushings, and for some reason on my back truck the kingpin nut keeps coming loose. I don’t have the trucks that loose, The nut sits flush with no threads visable. I need to compare but it honestly makes me think maybe the Thunder brand 94a’s are actually slightly taller than the stock 90’s? Not sure.

You could swap the nut out and see if the problem persists.

Maybe take the hanger off to check if the kingpin is loose or wobbly. I had a set of Aces with a nut that came loose constantly. Turns out the the kingpin was loose and wobbling around. I’m glad I figure it out when I did.

Or maybe it will just go away as the bushings break in.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #11917 on: May 21, 2023, 05:18:17 AM »
Set up a board with 144 Indy Hollows. This is after roughly 2 decades on Venture 5.2s and a year on Thunder 149s.

It does feel like 8.25 might be a good compromise width for me at this point. 8.5 sometimes feels like too much and the few times I’ve gone back to 8.0 it feels tiny.

The pop is closer to the Thunders than the Ventures, effort wise (probably the main reason I wanted to try something besides Ventures was the all the ghost popping my lazy ass was doing and to try a lower ride).

What I’m having trouble with on the Indys is the wheelbase and feeling squirrelly. I bought them off a friend and he had the super soft white aftermarket bushings in them. I thought I liked loose trucks but that was too loose. I had some red Indy aftermarkets lying around which are better but it still feels like there’s a very small adjustment window between not turning and unstable. I almost got a speed wobble yesterday on a steep drop in which was terrifying.

I can feel the smaller wheelbase somehow. It’s like the hanger is in the wrong place when I get into and out of grinds on transition. I’m hoping I can adjust to that but it’s not just my imagination - despite the deck having a quarter inch longer wheelbase than my 8.0, the axle to axle wheelbase is a quarter inch shorter on this versus the setup with Ventures.

I’m going to try this for a bit but I’m thinking already about trying Thunder 148s.

IpathCats

« Reply #11918 on: May 21, 2023, 05:46:40 AM »
Set up a board with 144 Indy Hollows. This is after roughly 2 decades on Venture 5.2s and a year on Thunder 149s.

It does feel like 8.25 might be a good compromise width for me at this point. 8.5 sometimes feels like too much and the few times I’ve gone back to 8.0 it feels tiny.

The pop is closer to the Thunders than the Ventures, effort wise (probably the main reason I wanted to try something besides Ventures was the all the ghost popping my lazy ass was doing and to try a lower ride).

What I’m having trouble with on the Indys is the wheelbase and feeling squirrelly. I bought them off a friend and he had the super soft white aftermarket bushings in them. I thought I liked loose trucks but that was too loose. I had some red Indy aftermarkets lying around which are better but it still feels like there’s a very small adjustment window between not turning and unstable. I almost got a speed wobble yesterday on a steep drop in which was terrifying.

I can feel the smaller wheelbase somehow. It’s like the hanger is in the wrong place when I get into and out of grinds on transition. I’m hoping I can adjust to that but it’s not just my imagination - despite the deck having a quarter inch longer wheelbase than my 8.0, the axle to axle wheelbase is a quarter inch shorter on this versus the setup with Ventures.

I’m going to try this for a bit but I’m thinking already about trying Thunder 148s.

Can relate to this. I would personally recommend the hard black Indy bushings and run them flush

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11919 on: May 21, 2023, 06:31:49 AM »
Yeah, I’d just tighten them up and over time loosen them.  They are more squirrelly, but not like an ace.  How long have you been skating them?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #11920 on: May 21, 2023, 09:28:12 AM »
^Only a day so far and it was only transition. I’ll give it more time for sure. It didn’t feel squirrelly until I was hauling ass though, which makes it hard to gauge/trust. It’s fine until it’s “oh shit.”
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 04:09:06 PM by Willie »

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #11921 on: May 21, 2023, 07:11:23 PM »
^Only a day so far and it was only transition. I’ll give it more time for sure. It didn’t feel squirrelly until I was hauling ass though, which makes it hard to gauge/trust. It’s fine until it’s “oh shit.”

Honestly, those red Indy aftermarkets are notoriously shitty. If you can find a set of the newer stock bushings (they’re kind of a rich mandarin orange color, shiny finish, semi-translucent), they’re actually really good. The other Indy aftermarkets and the DLX Bait & Tackle/Supercush bushings both seem to work well. Those red ones are just bad, though. Give something else a go before you you give up on ’em.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11922 on: May 21, 2023, 08:20:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Honestly, those red Indy aftermarkets are notoriously shitty. If you can find a set of the newer stock bushings (they’re kind of a rich mandarin orange color, shiny finish, semi-translucent), they’re actually really good. The other Indy aftermarkets and the DLX Bait & Tackle/Supercush bushings both seem to work well. Those red ones are just bad, though. Give something else a go before you you give up on ’em.

Totally going to echo this, even try whatever was in your old Thunder or Venture trucks as they might work better.

The turn will be a little quicker on Indy than Venture and feel different to Thunder, not good or bad, just different, so it does take a bit to get used to.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #11923 on: May 22, 2023, 01:48:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Totally going to echo this, even try whatever was in your old Thunder or Venture trucks as they might work better.

The turn will be a little quicker on Indy than Venture and feel different to Thunder, not good or bad, just different, so it does take a bit to get used to.

If I may be allowed to interject.
I have been the victim of wanting to swap this or that early on. But it takes some time to make a change and get used to it. While you are missing out on the orange bushings, run your current ones for a few days/sessions.

If it’s really not working out, make a swap but only after a while. You can’t change something and expect a solution immediately.

(He says as he has multiple set ups and approaches the same curb like he’s golfing)
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11924 on: May 22, 2023, 03:01:25 AM »

If I may be allowed to interject.
I have been the victim of wanting to swap this or that early on. But it takes some time to make a change and get used to it. While you are missing out on the orange bushings, run your current ones for a few days/sessions.

If it’s really not working out, make a swap but only after a while. You can’t change something and expect a solution immediately.

(He says as he has multiple set ups and approaches the same curb like he’s golfing)

That definitely rings true.

Some guys I skate with are instantly mad at their bushings / trucks, usually because they are different to how the board felt before and I always say you got to take your time and wear them in or get used to them without trying to go hard right from go, as they will most likely blow out or have more problems from that.

Funny that some people hate new bushings but happily put nicely worn in bushings. without complaints, even if it is only one session I have had on their bushings, just to roll around and not do much and then give them back and they are already so much "more normal" so it is worth just having a casual roll for a first session on new trucks / different bushings.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #11925 on: May 22, 2023, 03:46:58 AM »
after recommending royal trucks to a friend of mine, he now skates royal baseplates with thunder titanium hangers :o He has definitely lost his mind.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 03:58:32 AM by sebbo »

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #11926 on: May 25, 2023, 05:43:14 AM »
Lunar Light III. made from magnesium & titanium. 242grams

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #11927 on: January 19, 2024, 03:18:58 AM »
I want to hit axle on these Polsters, but the kingpin started to catch as the trucks lost material. I devised a shitty plan to avoid buying new trucks. Banged out the old kingpins with a hammer, and pounded in a set of ~5mm shorter Theeve Ti kingpins.

Then took some fully threaded non-serrated 3/8-24 flange nuts like these:
https://boltsandnuts.com/shop/3-8-24-grade-8-hex-flange-prevailing-torque-top-lock-nuts-phos-oil-297987

And sawed the nuts down to size with a handsaw in a bench vice.

Put some Vibra tite VC-3 (the best threadlock I've found for inverted setups) on the threads. Let dry for 30 mins, then threaded the nuts on.

I was worried a skate tool wouldn't engage with how low profile the "nut" is, but it works fine, surprisingly, even after the nut got all chewed up from grinding and bashing coping. A gray-haired British man would call this "bodge", but whatever fuck it, it works.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #11928 on: January 19, 2024, 06:48:40 AM »
I want to hit axle on these Polsters, but the kingpin started to catch as the trucks lost material. I devised a shitty plan to avoid buying new trucks. Banged out the old kingpins with a hammer, and pounded in a set of ~5mm shorter Theeve Ti kingpins.

https://boltsandnuts.com/shop/3-8-24-grade-8-hex-flange-prevailing-torque-top-lock-nuts-phos-oil-297987

Put some Vibra tite VC-3 (the best threadlock I've found for inverted setups) on the threads. Let dry for 30 mins, then threaded the nuts on.

I was worried a skate tool wouldn't engage with how low profile the "nut" is, but it works fine, surprisingly, even after the nut got all chewed up from grinding and bashing coping. A gray-haired British man would call this "bodge", but whatever fuck it, it works.
Damn, that's serious dedication.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #11929 on: January 19, 2024, 07:38:30 AM »
Insanity. Love it.

What's the deal with those Polster trucks? Are they a direct copy of Thunders?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #11930 on: January 20, 2024, 03:57:34 AM »
Insanity. Love it.

What's the deal with those Polster trucks? Are they a direct copy of Thunders?
Venture software running on thunder hardware

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #11931 on: January 20, 2024, 06:00:54 PM »

what's up with your mounting hardware nuts? look cool...

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #11932 on: January 21, 2024, 06:45:46 AM »
Looks like the axle is cracked in the little opening where you can see it? Also curious about those mounting nuts as well. Need that shit.

Ant

• Rep: 40
« Reply #11934 on: January 21, 2024, 11:24:04 PM »

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11935 on: January 22, 2024, 01:21:23 AM »
https://www.ti64.com/product-p/3349.htm

Titanium flange nuts

Those look interesting, but wow, expensive. The nuts in the photo came from an aeronautics parts seller on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254802241036?hash=item3b5365a60c:g:DMQAAOSwbYFfz7al

I bought twelve Ti 10-32 7/8th bolts from them during covid for $12 and were kind enough to send the nuts free. The nuts are smaller than normal hardware, and the kick side hardware is recessed under the hanger like Venture so with a 1/4" bit extension it's really easy to swap out a deck with a drill. There's no nylock on the nuts, but fingernail polish works as a cheap/light thread locker. The hardware hasn't loosened despite skating pre-war cobbles and tiles almost every day. It was kind of a stupid project, but I enjoy tinkering.

The axle does look cracked, it's just some nasty gunk from the local free indoor though
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 01:32:38 AM by PuffinMuffin »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #11936 on: January 22, 2024, 04:10:01 AM »
@PuffinMuffin  what kind of bushing washers are those?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11937 on: January 22, 2024, 04:54:52 AM »

Array washers; the same thing longboarders used before they universally boycotted them for being too self-centering. If you scrape a Bones bushings with a knife, it makes the same sound as glass fibre-reinforced plastic. So it's really fucking hard, and immalleable. If you rip apart a Bones bushing apart, the hard plastic is in the same shape as an array washer.

So I feel like I can save a lot of money just using kooky longboarder array washers while running better/longer-lasting bushings than Bones, while getting the same self-centering feel. I'm not good at skating, but I skate almost every day, and replacing Bones bushings every month got old.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #11938 on: January 22, 2024, 05:49:57 AM »
Lunar Light III. made from magnesium & titanium. 242grams

since 2hex is proud of their R&D they need to just go direct to consumer, or get a US distro. I don't see anyone paying the to white label these, or use this specific truck as a premium complete component. If truck nerds could put them through their paces, they become a niche truck, Like tensor was on pace to become until they fucked it all up.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #11939 on: January 22, 2024, 06:40:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Array washers; the same thing longboarders used before they universally boycotted them for being too self-centering. If you scrape a Bones bushings with a knife, it makes the same sound as glass fibre-reinforced plastic. So it's really fucking hard, and immalleable. If you rip apart a Bones bushing apart, the hard plastic is in the same shape as an array washer.

So I feel like I can save a lot of money just using kooky longboarder array washers while running better/longer-lasting bushings than Bones, while getting the same self-centering feel. I'm not good at skating, but I skate almost every day, and replacing Bones bushings every month got old.
out of stock on their website
any leads on where to find em or something similar?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo