Author Topic: LENNIE KIRK CHROMEBALL INTERVIEW  (Read 22727 times)

iwishilivedinfinla

Re: LENNIE KIRK CHROMEBALL INTERVIEW
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2015, 04:21:07 AM »
I've noticed a lot of mentally ill people seem to gravitate to religion

gee, i wonder why

Chromeball is the gift that keeps on giving

offkilter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2015, 06:11:47 AM »
That was a compelling read if you can get through the homophobe stuff, the preaching wasnt too overwhelming. Chromeball is so consistantly  great!

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2015, 06:36:25 AM »
Quote from: LENNY KIRK
And one thing some people probably don’t know about the part is that for almost all of my tricks, I filmed them both ways, goofy and regular. I wanted to put both versions in my part because I felt it demonstrated the thoroughness and versatility of my skating but Dyrdek thought just switch was enough. That bummed me out. Yes, it would’ve made the part longer but also better. I skated both ways! It was so people couldn’t say, “He did it switch but couldn’t do it regular.”

I wanted to show them all that I could do it any which way I wanted. 

Wish I could see all of that footage.  That's fucking dope.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2015, 06:45:23 AM »
Quote from: LENNY KIRK
Expand Quote
And one thing some people probably dont know about the part is that for almost all of my tricks, I filmed them both ways, goofy and regular. I wanted to put both versions in my part because I felt it demonstrated the thoroughness and versatility of my skating but Dyrdek thought just switch was enough. That bummed me out. Yes, it wouldve made the part longer but also better. I skated both ways! It was so people couldnt say, He did it switch but couldnt do it regular.

I wanted to show them all that I could do it any which way I wanted. 
[close]

Wish I could see all of that footage.  That's fucking dope.
Yea, the raw footy of that would be legendary. Wild ride of an interview, its a trip how predestination/Calvinism lead him to think it meant he could do whatever he wanted because it was all predetermined anyway. Interesting read for sure.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2015, 07:15:59 AM »
Read three quarters of it. Seems like he really has trouble accepting responsibility for his own actions. Always the devil, the Calvinists, Jimmy the snitch, a do gooding passerby etc. I'll try and go back and finish it but the endless God stuff is pretty wearing. Interesting though.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

decoi1

• Rep: 18
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2015, 07:16:19 AM »
Perhaps another good skull thumping could do him some good. Oh well. I'm just gonna remember what he did on a skateboard and move on. Dudes fried

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2015, 07:47:16 AM »
it's great how religion lets you indulge whatever your ego desires. nothing's your fault. everything you believe is right. you are being persecuted. you will go to heaven. you make mistakes but they are forgiven. everyone else is wrong. god (your ego) is on your side. your ego (god) can have whatever it desires as long as you pray (wish) hard enough for something. you can have your cake and eat it too.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2015, 07:47:56 AM »
I have Dennis McGrath's book 'Heaven' about Lennie. Anyone else get this book? Such a unique character who sadly lost his mind.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2015, 07:53:19 AM »
I have Dennis McGrath's book 'Heaven' about Lennie. Anyone else get this book? Such a unique character who sadly lost his mind.

Is it worth the purchase?  I've been compelled to pick it up.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2015, 08:02:40 AM »
It can be argued by people that any religion is bat shit crazy.
I endured catholic school from first grade to the end of high school (my parents were not particularly religious, we went to mass every now and then and of COURSE we went on Easter, Christmas and the like. They just believed that due to the fact that it was a private institution, my education would be 'better'. In hindsight, my surviving parent regrets this and even offered to take me out of that school before my senior year, which would have killed my already comatose social life and possibly had a more detrimental effect on Yung Allen) and hated it once I was able to make my own decisions and believe in what I wanted to and what not. However, one of the most eye opening classes I ever took was the last two semesters, entitled World Religions 1 and World Religions 2. It was eye opening and actually really interesting because for the first 11 years of my schooling, there was always a religion class ; Catholicism. However these classes, instead of having, say, chapters 1-3 being from the first settlement of America until the revolutionary war, then a test, then revolution to 1812, test, etcetra, we would learn about, say, Buddhism for a while, take a test on it, learn about Hinduism, take a test, learn about Calvinism... Et all.
I aced the Calvinism test without studying simply because I was already so bitter about the teachings of Catholicsm being rammed down my throat that something that seemed even crazier stuck in my head so much. It terrified me that Calvinism was a much bigger deal at one point in the Earths history, if I remember correctly, it was kind of in vogue the way that Catholicism could be seen in recent memory. I can totally see how someone like Lennie, whose screws weren't even loose but didn't even exist at this point, could go even further off of the rails by fucking with it.

If I remember correctly, there was a really big Calvinism push at some point (centuries? Ago), and it's decline occurred because if you believe that you are already going to heaven (or hell), and there is nothing you can do to change that, what keeps you from being a bad person? If you're a complete and total monster and you fully believe in your heart that whatever you do on doesn't change your pre-booked all expenses paid afterlife suite, why bother doing good? Which is EXACTLY what occurred to Lennie.

In before people say I'm bashing religious folk: do you, I'll do me. Of course the basis for every religion is be kind to others and be a good person, I'm not saying you aren't a good person if you practice religion or believe in a higher power. If you do, good for you. I look at it as if you have green eyes. It doesn't make you less or more of a person or role model.

Tl;dr - I believe in Gos more than I believe in God word is bond
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2015, 08:08:39 AM »

Great book. This interview was basically an extended version of it, which was sometimes tiring, but mostly cool.

I really like Lennie's skating, a lot. He's always been one of my favorites of that time period. He skates so fast and smooth but is also sketchy and unhinged at the same time too. It's awesome. His skating is explosive. I wanted him to have a part in Photosynthesis SO badly. That would have been crazy. His short part in the FTC video is incredible. I love that huge ass ollie while bombing a hill so much. And of course, that switch back 5-0 Hubba ad is one of the illest ads of all time, straight up.

It's sad to see how delusional and ignorant he is about his own part in his decisions, but that's what happens. I don't agree with the way he speaks about women and homosexuals, but he's entitled to his beliefs, despite them being hateful, in my opinion.

On the flipside, it was really incredible to see how positive/not bitter he was given his circumstances. This interview also shed light on just how fucking sick and unique AWS is. Carter/Hill stuck by Lennie through thick and thin, and supported him through everything. They deserve a lot of credit for that. Pretty much any other company would have dropped him by the wayside once his Christianity came into the fold, but they embraced his beliefs and supported him as best they could. Can you imagine any other company throwing down a bible verse on a deck? Fuck no. They worked it out to support Lennie while also staying true to their aesthetic. That's real, and that's commendable.

I really liked this exchange a lot:

"You turned pro around this time but honestly, did it even matter much to you by this point? Were you kinda over skating by then with so much of your attention focused on God? Were you skating much after TimeCode?

Yes, it did/does matter to me a lot! I love skateboarding and I�ll always be a skateboarder!"
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2015, 08:24:20 AM »
Does it make sense to any of you that for some reason religious people speaking outright negatively about homosexuality (and obviously having backwards beliefs about how someone 'decides' to become one... Like, realistically, why WOULD someone want to be gay when there are nut balls out there that persecute so heavily? Why would anyone decide to make their life more difficult in that matter? It's the same as if someone were to believe people choose to be born with the skin tone that they have, or chose to be born in war or poverty stricken areas) really, really upsets me, but for some reason, with Lennie, knowing his beliefs, how they came to be, and obviously knowing that there is something wrong in his head , that it's exactly like the crackhead outside of American/Lafayette Coney at 5pm on Christmas, drunk, yelling at cars stopped at the red light about how he fucks his sister, telling everyone within earshot that she's his and no one else can have her?
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2015, 08:27:54 AM »
has anyone read the unabridged version? are there any missing gems in there?

also, kalis, who do we have to harass to unearth his unseen timecode footage?

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2015, 08:32:30 AM »
has anyone read the unabridged version? are there any missing gems in there?

also, kalis, who do we have to harass to unearth his unseen timecode footage?

Also the footage you talk about in your Epicly Later'd when you skated with him everyday for a week straight in between jail stints. I know some of it was in there but you made it sound like there was more.

Honestly, I was hoping at the end of the interview there would be a link to unseen footy, haha. Wishful thinking.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
wait

the mentally unstable drug addict criminal who believes in god and the devil and blames everybody but himself including women , homosexuals , satan ,the  goverment  and random conspiracy theories , who pointed shotguns at old women . Tells you he has unseen footage

and you believe him ?

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2015, 11:38:44 AM »
Awesome read!

I'm not sure if letting a delusional, mentally unhinged inmate with a history of kidnap, leading police on high speed chases and robbing members of the public with a sawnoff shotgun play countless hours of gta online is the best path towards rehabilitation...

5inchDick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2015, 11:53:40 AM »
HE IS TRULY ONE OF SKATEBOARDINGS GEMS AND ON MY TOP 10 LIST

THE FACT HE SAYS HE FILMED ALMOST ALL HIS TRICKS BOTH WAYS IS SO SO SO GNARLY ESP CONSIDERING HOW LONG IT WAS AND THE SHIT HE WAS DOING

I DUNNO IF JOE CASTRUCCI HAS THOSE TAPES BUT SHIT IF THAT WAS OVER PUT OUT INTO SOME FORM OF DOC I WOULD WATCH ALL 10 HOURS OF IT HANDS DOWN

Brett

• Rep: -14
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2015, 11:59:10 AM »
Well that was interesting. He has to be suffering from some type of brain injury. That new concussion movie speaks of a brain disease that is normally found in people who have suffered concussions.

I grew up with a few people mentioned in this article. I am wondering if Canton Patel is actually Ketan Patel, I believe Ketan was on New Deal or New School at the time....

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2015, 02:17:59 PM »
Wow,that was an intense read.
I feel bad for the guy,but I feel worse for any member of the public who has been atacked by him.
Dude is a danger to himself and others, he definitely belongs in a secure mental health facility.
The old alien adds are so great, the art design and the skating.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2015, 02:37:22 PM »
Well that was interesting. He has to be suffering from some type of brain injury. That new concussion movie speaks of a brain disease that is normally found in people who have suffered concussions.

I grew up with a few people mentioned in this article. I am wondering if Canton Patel is actually Ketan Patel, I believe Ketan was on New Deal or New School at the time....

I got the opposite impression. Hardcore Christians really believe most of this shit. His delusions seem tame, except for the chip implant (which is unnecessary since we're all attached to our chip-imbedded phones). Either that, or he's been locked up for a while and technology has surpassed his paranoia. His state of the art 15" RCA flatscreen with an HDMI connector sounds far antiquated.

Plus, whatever brain disease that makes him believe that his legal problems were caused by snitches appears to be shared with much of the prison community.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2015, 02:58:09 PM »
The switch to IPv6 being a sign of the end of days is pretty funny though.

this was my favorite bit in the entire thing too.  hilarious.

zippy z

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2015, 03:46:39 PM »
The stories are pretty cool, but the rest of it...that's just the crazy shit mentally ill people spout off whenever they get an audience. I've talked to enough people that have craze and/or prison backgrounds and they (mostly) all have the same paranoid delusions and religious vocabulary.

Always a bummer to hear how fried they are and see how useless rehabilitation in the current system is. I wish there was an easy answer to this ongoing issue, but each case has a unique source and requires a unique cure so a systemic "fix" is most likely unattainable. How do you put Humpty Dumpty back together again?

goldenbullcow

• Rep: -406
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2015, 04:18:44 PM »
I couldn't make it through it.... The hubba hide out stuff was cool though

ADOLF SHITLER

« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2015, 04:31:09 PM »
i had to skim thru the jesus shit but there was some good stuff in there

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2015, 04:47:10 PM »
The stories are pretty cool, but the rest of it...that's just the crazy shit mentally ill people spout off whenever they get an audience. I've talked to enough people that have craze and/or prison backgrounds and they (mostly) all have the same paranoid delusions and religious vocabulary.

Always a bummer to hear how fried they are and see how useless rehabilitation in the current system is. I wish there was an easy answer to this ongoing issue, but each case has a unique source and requires a unique cure so a systemic "fix" is most likely unattainable. How do you put Humpty Dumpty back together again?

So true

I have seen Lennie's train wreck story mirrored many times over.

Expand Quote

[close]

I got the opposite impression. Hardcore Christians really believe most of this shit. His delusions seem tame, except for the chip implant (which is unnecessary since we're all attached to our chip-imbedded phones). Either that, or he's been locked up for a while and technology has surpassed his paranoia. His state of the art 15" RCA flatscreen with an HDMI connector sounds far antiquated.

Plus, whatever brain disease that makes him believe that his legal problems were caused by snitches appears to be shared with much of the prison community.

More than his delusions, what stood out to me was his inability to see the impact on his actions upon others. If the greatest commandment in the bible is to love God and love others as yourself, then Lennie has missed the point. He fits the profile of a paranoid schizophrenic / religious nutcase, and in reading this interview I couldn't help think of the parallels with Gator.
If the next stint he does is for murder I would not be surprised

2thick

• Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2015, 05:25:24 PM »
he was way before my time but I read the whole thing anyway, seems to me like a shitty guy who did a lot of shitty things using religion as a scapegoat and a way to blame others for all the shittiness that occurred.

Xtal

« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2015, 06:15:26 PM »
it's great how religion lets you indulge whatever your ego desires. nothing's your fault. everything you believe is right. you are being persecuted. you will go to heaven. you make mistakes but they are forgiven. everyone else is wrong. god (your ego) is on your side. your ego (god) can have whatever it desires as long as you pray (wish) hard enough for something. you can have your cake and eat it too.

Fucking nailed it, dude.

alonzohambugerjones

• Rep: 3
  • http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5sK5IyEANvg/TkMuXcaLsGI/
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2015, 07:31:31 PM »
i see alot of talk and speculations about what might be wrong with him, but do any of yall really care? NO. Yall dont fear GOD nor understand faith. i been steady tryn to hack my nigga out dat prison for a hour, believe to achieve.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2015, 08:22:11 PM »
"This pastor drank a lot of coffee. I told him he was filled with caffeine not with the Holy Spirit"

Incredible.

Xtal

« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2015, 08:48:47 PM »
Just skimmed through the interview and read a bunch of his responses.

Lol.