Author Topic: Concave talk  (Read 10886 times)

Dengles

Re: Concave talk
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2015, 09:08:37 AM »
I'm skating a Quasi right now and it's about as mellow as they come.  Similar shape to Chocolate 8.5s about .15 of an inch shorter same long wheel base and a nose and tail so fat they could be Bill Clinton's mistress.  It's also just as flat as a Chocolate or a Girl.  I love it, I've been searching for a similar shape to the Chocolate 8.5 all year and I've found it in this Quasi shape.  Polar on the other hand has a good bit of concave, I stepped on my buddy's Polar a few weeks back and hated it because of the deep concave.  Loved the graphic because all their graphics are amazing but the concave was quite a bit steeper than either the Krooked or the Chocolate I was riding back when I stepped on the Polar.  So in brief Quasi is way mellower than Polar. 

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2015, 11:00:50 AM »
This is why I rarely give input, different strokes for different strokes. Ask 50 different people, and you'll get 50 different responses that only confuse the issue.

Dave - a couple things...no chance the Polar was deeper than the Quasi. Just, literally no chance. And equally, there is no way your Quasi is "as flat as a Chocolate". PS boards are in no way, shape or form as flat as Crail boards. Not arguing with you, just telling you don't know what you're looking at.

EDIT: @Hannity - just to eliminate any confusion, if you want pics of any boards side by side shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 11:02:36 AM by heritage »

Dengles

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2015, 01:30:05 PM »
Yeah this Qausi is about as flat as they come, I looking at it as I type this and was skating it this afternoon, it's flat as hell.  Seriously it's comparable to a Chocolate board I'm not just talking out of my ass I have both near me right now. 

chillclinton87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2015, 02:26:50 PM »
This is why I rarely give input, different strokes for different strokes. Ask 50 different people, and you'll get 50 different responses that only confuse the issue.

Dave - a couple things...no chance the Polar was deeper than the Quasi. Just, literally no chance. And equally, there is no way your Quasi is "as flat as a Chocolate". PS boards are in no way, shape or form as flat as Crail boards. Not arguing with you, just telling you don't know what you're looking at.

usually i'd agree with you and i don't try to argue or e-beef(is that new?) but i had like 4 of the habitat "pack and go" series boards, all 8.125 wide- got them from my local shop, then i saw a couple other ones at another shop in town and ordered 2 of them because i liked the shape/concave sooooooo much on the boards before an they lasted. but when i got these 2 boards the shape was way more mellow/flat than the previous 4 i had.

you know about when the shapes/mellowness depends on where the boards are in the pressing process?
i don't know if i go way out on that, but bottomline of what i wanted to say is: i had rather steep and mellower habitat boards and i had some new alien workshop boards that all had way deeper concave- all PS produced!

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2015, 03:02:30 PM »

usually i'd agree with you and i don't try to argue or e-beef(is that new?) but i had like 4 of the habitat "pack and go" series boards, all 8.125 wide- got them from my local shop, then i saw a couple other ones at another shop in town and ordered 2 of them because i liked the shape/concave sooooooo much on the boards before an they lasted. but when i got these 2 boards the shape was way more mellow/flat than the previous 4 i had.

you know about when the shapes/mellowness depends on where the boards are in the pressing process?
i don't know if i go way out on that, but bottomline of what i wanted to say is: i had rather steep and mellower habitat boards and i had some new alien workshop boards that all had way deeper concave- all PS produced!

haha no e-beef here. Just trying to help. I guess at the end of the day it's all such a relative thing. Different strokes for different folks.

One other thing I was thinking about after I posted that, and let's see if I can explain this...I really like this particular Habitat shape - 8.25 x 32.375. Some of the graphics they've run on that shape: Terrain Unlimited, Suciu Raptor, Gall Classic, NatGeo Skate The World, Dela Tooth and Claw. Now, to REALLY confuse the issue: they changed up the wheelbase from run to run. Same exact shape and dims, just arbitrarily decided to go from 14.25 to 14.5 on the wheelbase for that mold/shape. Now - to really throw a wrench into things - they went with 14.25 on the Terrain Unlimited and Gall Classic; but went 14.5 on the Suciu, Dela, and NatGeo. So to make a long story short - the longer WB (14.5) makes that exact same shape feel much more mellow than the shorter (14.25). At the end of the day it's all personal pref.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:04:03 PM by heritage »

Dengles

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2015, 04:47:53 PM »
Maybe mine was pressed poorly, maybe I'm just going crazy but I've put it up next to an old chocolate and the difference is really hard to tell, besides the slightly more square tail on the chocolate.

obZen

• Rep: 7
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2015, 06:42:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Probably wasn't making myself clear. Like J...Soy said it was an arch going from the back to the front truck vertically but typically centered towards the back truck I think. It wasn't a concave as such and it was known as 'a' rocker. Was this a throwback from vert? I'm sure I rode 90's Popsicles with rockers though...
[close]

I might be completely off base, but don't the low pro boards from Real have a slight rocker?
[close]

I had one and thought it might have a mellow rocker.

I definitely had late 90's boards with them, I think... A lot of bud though so...

Can any hardcore deck heads clear this up?

I can definitely confirm that lots of boards had rockers on them well into the 90s. First flip I ever bought had that going on. The real low pro has a reverse camber rocker which I just don't like.

micky682

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2015, 08:05:13 PM »
My Quasi Beldsoe is as flat as Crailtap. Maybe it is just this specific shape (8.125) but it is definitely flat.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2015, 08:32:38 PM »
Big concave is nice if it's rigid and doesn't go to the nose and tail. Nose and tail are supposed to be completely flat but they never are

Flat boards are actually nice too, they just don't last long... after 2 sessions you're skating a 2x4

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2015, 01:00:30 AM »
i would like to ask if people have noticed that some boards lately have completely flat nose and tail. im not talking about the angle of the tips but about how there is an absolute lack of concave on the tips thus making the board feel like a shitty plank of wood. there was some time ago that pretty much all board companies were selling boards like that and it was almost impossible to find a normal board. whenever i had a conversation with a company owner they would just pretend they did not know what i was on about. i still find boards pressed like this (luckily they are not market dominant any more) and always wonder who the fuck actually likes these things. it really messed with my skating and would like to hear other skaters' opinions on this issue.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

BMCsteve

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2015, 07:14:16 AM »
Here is a photo comparison of 3 boards lined up at the tail bolts trying to show their concave and kick

In order of closest to the camera -  Magenta 8.25 (same concave as Polar), Real 8.38 (R1 Concave) and 8.5 Quasi.

Of the 3, the Quasi has the steepest concave and kick, followed by the Real and finally the Magenta is the most mellow.

In skating all 3 of these boards I honestly barely noticed a difference at all in regards to concave.  The biggest difference in how a board skates to me (other than size) is the actual shape of the nose and tail.  The Quasi has a band-aid shape, the real is a bit "pointy" and the Magenta is somewhere in between those two.

I've only noticed major concave differences that truly impacted the way a board felt and that was crailtap on the shallow end and Scumco (deep dish) on the deep end.

BMCsteve

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2015, 07:18:05 AM »
One other note, Quasi is a weird company in terms of their sizes.  The 8.25 & 8.5 have the same shape (band-aid) and the 8.625 & 8.38 have the same shape (rounded/"pointy")

The 8.38 Quasi I had was noticeably more flat than the 8.5

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2016, 10:56:20 PM »
I'm guessing it's just moulds no? 

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2016, 12:47:55 AM »
Expand Quote

Some woodshops press 20-30 boards at a time and where they fall in the pile determines the depth and degree of kick on the nose/tail

[close]

I think that's an exaggeration. All woodshops I've seen video or pictures of will press 5-6 boards at a time. 1 board at a time is pretty rare. 
Jart also manufactures  board at a time