Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 778158 times)

RossDailey and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

pops

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 235
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #5700 on: May 16, 2023, 01:25:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There isn’t a skateshop within 50 miles of me. So I can’t go and compare them. But are the 808s bulkier than the 1010s? They look like it from pictures but I know it can be different IRL. Just don’t want it to feel like I’m wearing some Timberlands lol
[close]

much bulkier and a lot heavier, that shoe is really really heavy!!!
[close]
Just got them and damn, some of y’all are built different. Theses things are bricks compared to the 440s 😮‍💨

Looks nice though. And impact is good cause I can’t feel shit under my feet. Gonna wear them a few weeks before skating in them. Glad I got a size 14 cause they’re snug. 13 would’ve been torture.

Too much support (sole thickness) just isnt good, no matter how good it feels on foot. I'm too scared to skate a shoe this thick because I feel like I'm more prone to ankle rolls. That and they're heavy.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 64
« Reply #5701 on: May 16, 2023, 04:49:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There isn’t a skateshop within 50 miles of me. So I can’t go and compare them. But are the 808s bulkier than the 1010s? They look like it from pictures but I know it can be different IRL. Just don’t want it to feel like I’m wearing some Timberlands lol
[close]

much bulkier and a lot heavier, that shoe is really really heavy!!!
[close]
Just got them and damn, some of y’all are built different. Theses things are bricks compared to the 440s 😮‍💨

Looks nice though. And impact is good cause I can’t feel shit under my feet. Gonna wear them a few weeks before skating in them. Glad I got a size 14 cause they’re snug. 13 would’ve been torture.
[close]

Too much support (sole thickness) just isnt good, no matter how good it feels on foot. I'm too scared to skate a shoe this thick because I feel like I'm more prone to ankle rolls. That and they're heavy.
Felt like I had on ankle weights at first. Reaction time (for me) is definitely better with the 440s. I did do a little test standing on one foot, and my balance is worse on the 808s. I think it’s the height.

dumptruck12

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: -104
« Reply #5702 on: May 16, 2023, 05:04:46 AM »
The 808’s definitely hurt my heels when I skate them but I’m sure it loosens up the more I break the shoe in

burner

• Rep: 90
« Reply #5703 on: May 16, 2023, 05:09:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
These are the best Tiagos thus far, IMO.

Class. You gotta hand it to Gino, releases a nice shoe on Adidas, while currently on Asics (and just visited Japan with the family for Asics), and now releases a colab on NB. So good. I like skate dad Gino.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 05:18:41 AM by burner »

OhioGuy

« Reply #5704 on: May 16, 2023, 05:17:37 AM »
It’s interesting that the 1010s are getting the collabs over the 808s. Does Tiago like them more? Or maybe NB is doing a retro thing.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #5705 on: May 16, 2023, 07:39:43 AM »
It’s interesting that the 1010s are getting the collabs over the 808s. Does Tiago like them more? Or maybe NB is doing a retro thing.

i feel like 1010s have more crossover appeal than the more 'strictly skate' 808

OhioGuy

« Reply #5706 on: May 16, 2023, 07:43:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

True. They look like a regular New Balance shoe. Something you can chill in.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #5707 on: May 16, 2023, 07:54:15 AM »
Ordered a pair of 417's. Went down half a size, or a size if u will. 43 instead of 44. They fit VERY snug. On the verge of too snug. They are vulcs tho, so will probably stretch out. Other then, the midfoot and heel area is kinda wide for me.
Dont think I will skate them, but have them as chillers

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -46
« Reply #5708 on: May 16, 2023, 10:14:45 AM »
First day of skating 808s after skating Crockett highs that got too thin in the forefoot and just didn’t really like. These things skate so good. Grippy as fuck and so much more stable than the ksl. The way your foot is hugged by the interior of the shoe is amaze. My only gripe is I’m Somehow already about to break my laces on the bottom two eyelets which is so weird since they’re semi protected. I wish they just had the inner lace thing the entire way down. Oh well. Anyone found a good lace replacement for the nb’s???

rothdigga

• Rep: 570
« Reply #5709 on: May 16, 2023, 10:47:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My local in LA doesn’t carry NB either.   Would be interesting to see these in person, but I can’t be arsed to go to a strangers shop hah

What's your local Atiba?  Kingswell?  That I think is the only LA shop that doesn't carry us.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #5710 on: May 16, 2023, 11:04:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

My local in LA doesn’t carry NB either.   Would be interesting to see these in person, but I can’t be arsed to go to a strangers shop hah
[close]

What's your local Atiba?  Kingswell?  That I think is the only LA shop that doesn't carry us.

Hah yup.   A little surprised too since it’s good crossover brand for all the “I used to skate”s in the area that might poke around when walking the neighborhood that wear regular NBs but I don’t know how shops go about figuring out what they can/cannot/will/will not stock (but I personally might sub out Adidas as they kinda seem like they’re fading away as a brand aside from the Nora moving the needle a bit).

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -46
« Reply #5711 on: May 16, 2023, 11:15:43 AM »
Plz get nb in kingswell…. PLZZZZ

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5712 on: May 17, 2023, 12:35:36 PM »
Woah Tom Karangelov has been on for 10 years!   He def needs to have a pro shoe before Reynolds

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #5713 on: May 17, 2023, 12:55:59 PM »
Woah Tom Karangelov has been on for 10 years!   He def needs to have a pro shoe before Reynolds
He was one of the original 4 on the team and I think still has only had 2 colourways. That Brighton shoe seemed like it was kinda his unofficial shoe at the start they should of done an altered version like they did with the other two shoes for arto and PJ and made it their pro model. (And same with the 4th for Levi)

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -483
« Reply #5714 on: May 17, 2023, 01:11:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Hah yup.   A little surprised too since it’s good crossover brand for all the “I used to skate”s in the area that might poke around when walking the neighborhood that wear regular NBs but I don’t know how shops go about figuring out what they can/cannot/will/will not stock (but I personally might sub out Adidas as they kinda seem like they’re fading away as a brand aside from the Nora moving the needle a bit).

If you don’t mind a quick jaunt down Franklin , pharmacy has NB and typically on sale. Brooklyn projects do too. They don’t do as well on this side of town with the young kids but I’m sure that’s changing with all the team additions
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5715 on: May 17, 2023, 02:02:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

If you don’t mind a quick jaunt down Franklin , pharmacy has NB and typically on sale. Brooklyn projects do too. They don’t do as well on this side of town with the young kids but I’m sure that’s changing with all the team additions

I feel bad to say it about Pharmacy, but that shop gives Zumiez vibes based off its location.  I thought they got bought out when I first saw it. 

I guess I technically live closer to BP, but DJ is a pal and I’ve kept that as my local because it’s the first shop I’ve ever felt good vibes/accepted in (aside from maybe Melcher hah)   

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #5716 on: May 18, 2023, 08:25:39 PM »
I tried on some 1010s again after trying a pair several months ago and hating the way they felt. These still had an oddly shaped toe box that was uncomfortable but I gave them a try. After microwaving and 2 days of wearing they feel good. Skating performance tbd, but I guess the lesson is that you can expect a pretty significant morph from the 1010s in the first week. Pretty sure that was already the consensus opinion though.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #5717 on: May 18, 2023, 09:07:19 PM »

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #5718 on: May 19, 2023, 12:17:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also, the 1010 has been out ~2.5 years so I am sure it's easier to do collabs on the more known/existing model compared to the newer/more skate specific model like @iw0

The collabs on 808 could be so sick but I think they knew they could do a $180 Rone collab on the 1010 because so many non skaters begun to buy it. That Rome 1010 could be in boutique shoe shops from how clean it looks
Super Champion Fun Zone

Puddy Smally

• Rep: 148
« Reply #5719 on: May 19, 2023, 05:27:01 AM »
Ordered the grey day 808’s from the NB site, and it feels like it’s taking forever for the shipping status to update. Can’t wait to get these things in hand.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #5720 on: May 19, 2023, 05:57:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Also, the 1010 has been out ~2.5 years so I am sure it's easier to do collabs on the more known/existing model compared to the newer/more skate specific model like @iw0

The collabs on 808 could be so sick but I think they knew they could do a $180 Rone collab on the 1010 because so many non skaters begun to buy it. That Rome 1010 could be in boutique shoe shops from how clean it looks

I mean that's another thing as well, it's been out longer and got its self more established. Plus apart from the 868, it's their first sort of bigger, chunkier skate shoe that got popular (even then I don't remember many people except a select few rocking the 868 a lot, so it's probably really the first thinking about it). It has a lot more hype around it from that too, perhaps?
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #5721 on: May 19, 2023, 06:13:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I mean that's another thing as well, it's been out longer and got its self more established. Plus apart from the 868, it's their first sort of bigger, chunkier skate shoe that got popular (even then I don't remember many people except a select few rocking the 868 a lot, so it's probably really the first thinking about it). It has a lot more hype around it from that too, perhaps?
Think the 868 was just a little too early. 90% of skaters were still exclusively wearing janoskis the whole time it was out. It being so different as well as considerably more expensive def hurt its popularity at that time. They could prob bring it out again now and it would be a hit.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #5722 on: May 19, 2023, 06:23:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Think the 868 was just a little too early. 90% of skaters were still exclusively wearing janoskis the whole time it was out. It being so different as well as considerably more expensive def hurt its popularity at that time. They could prob bring it out again now and it would be a hit.

Definitely, a bit before its time.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

FrankSweat

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5723 on: May 19, 2023, 08:36:23 AM »
Hi guys. Should I go TTS with the 808 or go up half size? For example, I wear size 10 in the 440 and the fit it's perfect. Size 10 as well in Vans Old Skools.

Thanks!

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #5724 on: May 19, 2023, 09:22:42 AM »
Hi guys. Should I go TTS with the 808 or go up half size? For example, I wear size 10 in the 440 and the fit it's perfect. Size 10 as well in Vans Old Skools.

Thanks!

Half size up for sure but really think about your foot and if you consider it wide I would rethink the 808. I go TTS in 1010 but I tried the 808 in TTS and half size up and it didnt work out for me, toe box is too narrow

FrankSweat

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5725 on: May 19, 2023, 11:24:04 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks!
[close]

Half size up for sure but really think about your foot and if you consider it wide I would rethink the 808. I go TTS in 1010 but I tried the 808 in TTS and half size up and it didnt work out for me, toe box is too narrow

I wouldn't say my foot is the widest but I think I'll pull the trigger on a sale colorway in 10.5. I'm kinda surprised that the "Brazil" colorway is on sale everywhere.

Thank you bro!

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 104
« Reply #5726 on: May 19, 2023, 11:28:32 AM »
OOOOOOOO those Poet 1010 are looking so sweet now that Premier has them....already have three other pairs of 1010s in rotation and one on ice but this colorway is screaming summer to me. Someone please talk me out this purchase!

A few pairs of Rones, too, if anyone is looking.

eSK3

« Reply #5727 on: May 19, 2023, 12:57:57 PM »
OOOOOOOO those Poet 1010 are looking so sweet now that Premier has them....already have three other pairs of 1010s in rotation and one on ice but this colorway is screaming summer to me. Someone please talk me out this purchase!

Go buy two fam! They are so comfortable! Skate one and put one on ice.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #5728 on: May 19, 2023, 01:08:25 PM »
Just got a pair of old stock wheat/black 1010's.  They fit tts for me.  Looking forward to skating these after walking a bit in them.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 104
« Reply #5729 on: May 19, 2023, 01:41:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Go buy two fam! They are so comfortable! Skate one and put one on ice.

You're a terrible enabler and I just bought the Poets  ;D