Author Topic: Nashville to New Orleans  (Read 1841 times)

tink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Nashville to New Orleans
« on: January 27, 2016, 08:40:03 AM »
Hello Slap,

I will be driving from Detroit to New Orleans next month with a stop in Nashville.
Does anyone have any useful suggestions on which areas to stay in for either skating or just general non touristy things? Skate shops, coffee shops, etc.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Duncan Macnaughton

• Rep: -55
Re: Nashville to New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 05:11:40 AM »
Hello Slap,

I will be driving from Detroit to New Orleans next month with a stop in Nashville.
Does anyone have any useful suggestions on which areas to stay in for either skating or just general non touristy things? Skate shops, coffee shops, etc.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Nashville has a good hostel to stay at that is pretty cheap and close to the inner city.  I think its called Music City Hostel...?  Its the only hostel in Nashville I believe.  Legislative building in downtown is probably Americas most under rated plaza.  Sunday is the best day to skate it.  I just stayed at the Atlas House Hostel in New Orleans.  It is clean, good breakfast spots a block away, great coffee shops around and is only 16$ a night.  If you want help with spots in New Orleans check out my App Skate Savant.  We are doing a New Orleans city pack and it should be up by next week.

Here is the iTunes link

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/skate-savant/id983252660?mt=8

Good Luck!

JAesop

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 08:03:01 AM »
Hotels are expensive here , they range from $250 to $350 a night downtown at the mid range hotels so you may want to stay outside of the city.
Nashville is a great food city with literally more good eats than I can list here. It's known for hot chicken but I wouldn't recommend it if you are going to be driving the next day. ( seriously) It also has several different distinct neighborhoods that all have great hangout/ food/ cafe spots. There is also always music going on, most of it not country. Stay away from lower Broadway unless you want the touristy thing.
Crema has world class coffee and a croissant donut that is damn good.
Edley's and Martins have amazing bar b que and a good neighborhood vibe.
The Smiling Elephant has some of the best Thai food in America.
Sunflower cafe and Woodlands Indian Restaurant are amazing vegetarian options.
Skating choices include Two Rivers skatepark ( concrete), Sixth Avenue skatepark ( indoor), Franklin skatepark ( concrete), Hendersonville skatepark ( prefab crap), Spring Hill skatepark ( small concrete) and all of downtown. The cops are generally ok unless you are right in the middle of a touristy area.
Also,if you are coming down I 65 stop at the Bowling Green, Ky skatepark. It's great.
Message me if you want any more specifics , I'd be happy to help you out. I can't make any guarantee ( my schedule is unpredictable)but maybe I can show you a few spots.

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 11:03:40 AM »
Also,  I'd say check out Franklin Skate shop in Franklin TN just outside of Nashville.  1227 Lakeview Dr.  Franklin, TN.   The owner, Donny, was a pro skater for Zorlac back in the day.  He's a really cool guy.  Also there's a 4' mini half in the backroom with a 6' extension.  It's a fun ramp.  Also, the YMCA in Brentwood has a 4' bowl, and a 11' vert ramp as well as a decent street course.   Nashville is great.  It's kind of becoming the "it city" right now.  There's lots to do and see beyond skating, but the skate scene here is strong.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 11:31:36 AM »
Stop in at Hunt supply co. In Nashville Jason the owner will be more than happy to help you out with spots, food spots, and maybe a place to stay with homies. Good folks in Nashville

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 07:43:08 AM »
I was just going to say, depending on what route you're taking, Franklin has a good park and Memphis has SPOT plus some scattered suburb parks. Oxford Mississippi and Tupelo MS are close too with good parks. Oxford has a massive bowl, fun little street course, and it's a college town that's pretty...interesting haha.

JAesop

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 12:22:41 PM »
Always wanted to check out Oxford on a road trip.  Back to the thread...

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 11:37:12 AM »
Two great parks to check out right outside of New Orleans are Baton Rouge BREC Perkins and Hammond Dreamland
wash uffize drive me to firenze