Author Topic: Gays in Skateboarding  (Read 19880 times)

Baron Samedi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
Re: Gays in Skateboarding
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2016, 10:21:20 AM »
i always thought it would be fun to start a band and name it "the gaze"

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2016, 10:22:43 AM »
You think people would care if BA officially came out?

He is officially out. He just doesn't talk about it in the media or put it out there. He's completely out to all his friends and people close to him. He also had a boyfriend for a long time I believe.

Harry in Your Pocket

• Rep: -20
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2016, 10:27:08 AM »
Or, it could be that people who are Gay are not attracted to sports like Skateboarding? There might be a few here or there, but why should there be? The LGBT population in the US is less than 4%. What are the chances that of those 4%, a bunch will choose Skateboarding as an avocation?

Certain things are interesting to certain people. Football attracts who it attracts, has a majority. Pinterest attracts who it attracts, has a majority.

You get the point.

And, maybe it's none of our business?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2016, 10:54:30 AM »
Or, it could be that people who are Gay are not attracted to sports like Skateboarding? There might be a few here or there, but why should there be? The LGBT population in the US is less than 4%. What are the chances that of those 4%, a bunch will choose Skateboarding as an avocation?

Certain things are interesting to certain people. Football attracts who it attracts, has a majority. Pinterest attracts who it attracts, has a majority.

You get the point.

You make a good point, actually. But I have to wonder if it's a "chicken or the egg situation"? If skateboarding was more welcoming, would more queer dudes/girls do it? Or, is the sport itself just not something gay dudes are into?

I have to say that I loved skateboarding more than any other thing in my life for a long, long time. I just wasn't too great at it. Certainly not good enough to get sponsored.

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2016, 11:12:25 AM »
Alright let's make his thread interesting, any speculations or confirmations on gay pros? Here are my thoughts:
Brian Anderson: might as well come out already
Brad Staba: could make it a two for one coming out day with ba
Jason dill: the leg cross is definitely suspect
David Loy:
Danny way: aroused by a gay man and subesquently murdered him

I'm not sure that coming out in this day and age would hurt sales much.

shark tits

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2016, 11:13:31 AM »
i don't use gay/fag so please don't call skateboarding a sport. was it wayne's world or kirkegaard who said 'when you label me you negate me',? well either way, i don't want skating to get negated, i want it to always be around. but indescribable.

Harry in Your Pocket

• Rep: -20
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2016, 11:20:14 AM »
Expand Quote

You get the point.

[close]

You make a good point, actually. But I have to wonder if it's a "chicken or the egg situation"? If skateboarding was more welcoming, would more queer dudes/girls do it? Or, is the sport itself just not something gay dudes are into?

I have to say that I loved skateboarding more than any other thing in my life for a long, long time. I just wasn't too great at it. Certainly not good enough to get sponsored.

Personal question; How many of your LGBTQIA friends are into Skateboarding? And of those that are not, how many would cite intolerance (or perceived intolerance) as the sole reason they did not get into the sport/art?

If there was a stereotypically Gay activity, like say Theatre. How welcoming would they be to someone like me? Unattractive former Marine married with three kids? I already know, because my Lesbian sister is heavy into the local civic theatre scene. We went to a dinner with her and her friends from the theatre to celebrate their production of The Producers (they did a fucking great job) and some of the Gay dudes in there were brutal about the looks of everyone around them. They didn't say anything to me (to my face anyway, I wouldn't expect that) about what I looked like but they made some very rude comments about a young girl walking by on how she was dressed. She looked to be pre-teen and very poor but that didn't stop them from saying it looked like her ass was eating her shorts and that he body was destroying that shirt...just a poor girl walking by. Not very inclusive or tolerant, but it was a great night with great company...shitty food however.

Anyway, I guess my point is that some people are into things are some are not. And it's not always because there are assholes in every walk of life from every background...it's just because we all have different interests not shaped by our color, sexual orientation race or religion.

baby dick

• Rep: 7
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2016, 11:24:56 AM »
I guess the tolerance does depend on where one lives. Where I live, my friends (skate community) and I openly support gays. I would understand if you went to the south where the history might be different, that people would act differently. But I have subtlety asked the question here and there to people and everyone seems really positive about it.

Out of curiosity, I heard Texas is really bad about supporting gays, is this true?
i've lived in Texas for majority of my life and i would say it's not worse than any other state. of course if you go to some small town with 200 people in it im sure they're a little more close minded. i grew up using "gay" as a synonym for lame, but im sure most 10-15 year old boys do. no one i know now would use the word faggot or gay to describe someone/something they didn't like.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2016, 12:13:19 PM »
part of it relates to the marketing of the individual as a commodity in skateboarding. Companies are super careful about their pros' images in fear that it might lose them sales. If they assume gay loses sales, then gay people lose. capitalism!
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2016, 12:40:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I say faggot all the time but I'm still progressive. My best friends gay, my girlfriend is Asian and I have a slave who happens to be black
[close]

"I don't call someone a faggot for being gay, I call them a faggot for being a faggot" - Louie CK
[close]

"I don't call someone a nigger for being black, I call them a nigger for being a nigger"

"I don't call someone a kike for being Jewish, I call someone a kike for being a kike."

"I don't call someone a wetback for being Mexican, I call them a wetback for being a wetback."

"I don't call someone a gook for being Asian, I call someone a gook for being a gook."

I understand that the word "faggot" is now common vernacular to insult someone who is acting like an asshole, but to use it, insisting that you don't mean it as an insult to homosexuals, takes a dump all over the word's history and how it has been used to denigrate and devalue a specific group of people for most likely longer than you've been alive. Using it as a pejorative says much more about you than it does about the person you're using it against.

Your examples are all straw man arguments which says a lot about you. Why didn't you include " I don't call a cracker for being Caucasian. I call someone a cracker for being a cracker"? Racism against whites is okay? You're attempting to associate me with racism for my transgression of PC laws. I've never called a homosexual a faggot or anything offensive in my life. When somebody insults a heterosexual male by calling them a cock sucker is that considered a derogatory term? Most women suck cocks and that's wonderful. Some men do as well, that's also wonderful. To a straight male sucking a cock is gross. So it's an insult to accuse them of such suckery. Should I add this to the "no-no" list?

Every homosexual I've met use derogatory words like "pussy" and "bitch". Calling a male a "pussy" or a " bitch" is a huge insult. Many young boys are called these names from a very young age and it can cause a lot of emotional damage. The word "bitch" is one of the worst words you can use to insult a woman. These words have definitely been around longer than you've been alive.Should these words be banned as well? Should there be protests from man and women against the gay community to stop using these derogatory terms?

So what if a word is considered offensive? Your whole argument is that it hurts feelings. That's pathetic. You can hurt someone's feelings without using "no no" words too. Should we ban any speech that might offend somebody? I can't even count the words that we are "not allowed to say" because there are more and more "offensive" words being added every single day. Bitching has become a very popular hobby. Bored people have found a new way to bitch by becomimg word police.
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2016, 12:48:35 PM »
part of it relates to the marketing of the individual as a commodity in skateboarding. Companies are super careful about their pros' images in fear that it might lose them sales. If they assume gay loses sales, then gay people lose. capitalism!

I think a company would profit from it actually.  Of course it depends which company though. A company like Toy Machine would be a good choice. I don't feel that most Toy fans would have a problem. A lot of people thought Ed was gay for a while and it didn't seem to hurt the company. Toy Machine also had the first female pro and most people were psyched on it.
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2016, 01:16:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

You get the point.

[close]

[close]

Personal question; How many of your LGBTQIA friends are into Skateboarding? And of those that are not, how many would cite intolerance (or perceived intolerance) as the sole reason they did not get into the sport/art?

If there was a stereotypically Gay activity, like say Theatre. How welcoming would they be to someone like me? Unattractive former Marine married with three kids? I already know, because my Lesbian sister is heavy into the local civic theatre scene. We went to a dinner with her and her friends from the theatre to celebrate their production of The Producers (they did a fucking great job) and some of the Gay dudes in there were brutal about the looks of everyone around them. They didn't say anything to me (to my face anyway, I wouldn't expect that) about what I looked like but they made some very rude comments about a young girl walking by on how she was dressed. She looked to be pre-teen and very poor but that didn't stop them from saying it looked like her ass was eating her shorts and that he body was destroying that shirt...just a poor girl walking by. Not very inclusive or tolerant, but it was a great night with great company...shitty food however.

Anyway, I guess my point is that some people are into things are some are not. And it's not always because there are assholes in every walk of life from every background...it's just because we all have different interests not shaped by our color, sexual orientation race or religion.

You might note in my original post that I said, "I wonder". I'm not making any claims, just curious, that's all.

CigaretteBeer, I also didn't list Native Americans, Armenians, and a whole other slew of minorities or religions. I also never said it's cool to call women "bitches", so you're actually employing straw man. If you don't get the point I was making, you're an idiot.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2016, 01:19:52 PM »
Aren't Lacey Baker and Vanessa Torres gay?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2016, 01:35:37 PM »
you are confused GAY. He's got an IQ of 4357948573945, he's a GENIUS.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2016, 01:47:23 PM »

Damn. That IS a high IQ. Mine is 83. :(

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2016, 01:48:34 PM »
Does it happen that people have distrust, when somebody is actually open about their homosexual orientation?

Like, "naaah, that guy is not guy at all, I've totally seen him hold hands and kiss with girls.", not that I guess it is such an unusual thing happening. But imagine somebody saying, that they believe Elton John is just covering up being straight..
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2016, 02:04:41 PM »
Sadly, most people are homophobic on some level, and a lot of them aren't even aware of it. I've been guilty of it by calling wack shit "gay" and so on, without even thinking about it. All (most) industries and their demographics reflects this, not just skateboarding. It's like when Frank Ocean came out, and everyone was hyped that he could lead the way for other closeted gay muscians, only to get a big drop in his popularity and cool guy'd by the music industry.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:06:22 PM by darkslideoftheforce »

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2016, 02:10:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

You get the point.

[close]

[close]

[close]

You might note in my original post that I said, "I wonder". I'm not making any claims, just curious, that's all.

CigaretteBeer, I also didn't list Native Americans, Armenians, and a whole other slew of minorities or religions. I also never said it's cool to call women "bitches", so you're actually employing straw man. If you don't get the point I was making, you're an idiot.

Armenians invented the Kardashians, right? Fuck Armenians.

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 84
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2016, 02:12:13 PM »

I got drunk at the snake pit one time with Vanessa Torres and her girlfriend so yeah. "Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2016, 02:40:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

You get the point.

[close]

[close]

[close]

I got your point. I was must throwing a little straw man back at you. I actually made a point of not using the words "faggot" or saying something's gay to give it a negative connotation. I was using it here to get a debate going. I'm like 1/4 gay. I've done sexual things with men before and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I've found many men to be attractive but the actual sex act is not enjoyable to me. I've been called a faggot many times but I didn't feel pain. Maye you have to be 100% for the words to hurt?

Do you think it's wrong to use derogitory words like "bitch" and "pussy" as well?

My IQ is actually 141 which is considered genius actually. I don't think a high IQ always means genius though. What's your IQ?

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -484
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2016, 03:18:50 PM »
It seems like in sports being gay is a last ditch effort to get that final contract. Jason Collins never would have stepped foot on another NBA floor without coming out, he brought untold attention to him and the NBA... maybe he's not even gay?

NFL player came out too, Michael Sam. He now struggles to even sign with a CFL team. So if you're not the first revolutionary it's probably not a smart plan for your bank account.

Marisa Dal Santo said a couple dude pros were homo but didn't name names.

Who'd have thought  the Canadian flag football team would be so prejudiced.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2016, 03:46:55 PM »
Expand Quote
I know of quite a few gay pro skateboarders. I can understand why they choose not to make it public knowledge. If the rumor is true and B.A. came out I can't see many people hating on him. How could you? The dude is a fucking legend and his style is magic. But I tend to dislike the new Street League breed of jock skateboarders so maybe I'm wrong.

It's strange how the PC police come to the rescue of homosexuals when somebody says gay or faggot.  I lived in West Hollywood for quite some time and dated a makeup artist for music videos like Lady Gaga and all that crap. If you aren't familar with West Hollywood, it's the gay capitol of L.A. and very dog friendly. And of course many gays work in the makeup/ fashion world. My exposure to Faggotdom has been quite interesting. I have had many gay friends and I've never met one that is offended if someone says gay or faggot around them. Many of them use the word faggot quite often when joking with friends. Gays aren't subnormal idiots that need self hating white heterosexuals to be their super heroes. PC people need to stop being faggots and suck a dick.

"Stop being a faggot and suck that dick!"- Louis C.K.

Switching to another topic. Women are not even close to as good as men at skateboarding. And yes, it is BORING to watch 99% of the time. I'm down for chicks skateboarding but the fact is male ams are better than the best female pro. Women don't deserve the same amount of money as men in skateboarding. They do not sell as much product as men. If a professional female skateboarder does sell as much as a male pro feel free to correct me. Just because you're a woman doesn't mean you are entitled to money you did not earn. There isn't a large demamd for female skateboarder's products. Not because evil men are keeping women oppressed, because most find them to suck. Why watch a mediocre person skateboard when you can watch Andrew Reynolds or Dane Bureman?

If you believe in complete gender equality and you are against gender binarism then you must also be okay with men hitting women in self defense.

Here is feminism in action

On that note Maris Dal Santo fucking rips. If she comes out with a board I will purchase it.

[close]

why cant everyone be like you.
Because then we'd all be terrible people.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2016, 04:00:03 PM »
I always thought it was ironic how macho these skaters are until they land a trick and it's all hugs and slap-ass. Football too. You hear stories about the locker rooms...

BA is one of the best but if he is gay and doesn't want to come out so be it... Although, in Pretty Sweet, unless I'm over thinking things, it seems like there's a hint... Right after his boneless to smith on that handrail, he gives a big high-five to Mike Carrol who happens to be wearing a shirt with top to bottom bold letters that say "GAY!"

Hmmm. I don't care either way.

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2016, 04:23:06 PM »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2016, 05:14:01 PM »
CigaretteBeer, are you channeling nick jedi's crazy ranting ability now that he can't post anymore?
You seem very confused mate...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Xtal.

• Rep: -406
  • Less is more stay pure, stay poor
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2016, 06:12:27 PM »
There will never be gender equality world peace or a decent robocop sequel

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2016, 07:22:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I got drunk at the snake pit one time with Vanessa Torres and her girlfriend so yeah. "Not that there's anything wrong with that!"
Cool, she should be admired as a staple that it is okay. Maybe if Meow puts out a promo it will bring her some attention and get the conversation going.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

CHANCHO

• Rep: -25
  • IAMIYAM
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2016, 07:32:34 PM »
Writing a paper on LGBT issues

Thread title: "Gays in Skateboarding"

Shoutout to Gay, I love when his gay ass chimes in with those witty retorts.  You should write a paper about him or switch to STEM or a trade before it's too late.

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2016, 07:44:10 PM »
One of very closest friends is gay and embarrassingly enough, it took me becoming friends with that dude to realize that describing things as gay and calling people faggots is fucked up. Not trying to make excuses for myself, but I went to catholic all male "football is everything" high school and "gay" and "faggot' were thrown around constantly, I was blowin' it, my bad. We're best bros, so we've obvz had some tearful drunken bro time heart to hearts over the years and his homosexuality has been discussed. Growing up catholic, hearing your family saying homophobic shit at dinner, in the closet until college, stuff like that. I'm a heterosexual white male, and I honestly can't fully comprehend the impact of words like those, or as he put it, "words that force you to question the validity of your entire 'disgusting and evil' existence as a scared and confused child". It's just dumb shit that angry people say cuz they can. I mean, say whatever you want, nobody's gonna stop you, but there's no reason to needlessly hurt people's feelings and shit in the process, it really just comes down to whether or not you wanna be an inconsiderate dick for the sake of being an inconsiderate dick.

Also Heath is my personal fave skateboarder, and my favorite gay skateboarder

im probably lying

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2016, 08:40:40 PM »
I don't care about anyones sexuality, but I don't think I know of a single gay skateboarder... I shared room with a gay guy in the Army and one of my colleagues is gay, but none of them skate.
Where did the BA is gay rumor thing come from? I remember hearing about that so many years ago it couldn't be from Slap.

Also fag is ok to say, but you need the right context.