Author Topic: WKND - Finger Skater Owned and Operated  (Read 8009 times)

g.i.s.m.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 34
Re: WKND - Finger Skater Owned and Operated
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 06:52:16 AM »
Expand Quote
used to have a little respect for this johan stuckey character i'm confused how someone who i consider to ACTUALLY skate could be this much of a kook. having mixed feelings about thrasher at the moment now as well, like... do they issue a public apology for posting a complete fraud??? do models wearing thrasher tee's mark the end of realness in ALL skateboardom? is the bible full of lies??? what is going onnnnn???? i so confuse..........  ???
[close]

I don't want to assume that Johan is the one behind this, simply because I like Johan, he actually really helped me out this one time, and was super kind to me. Gave me a free spitfire shirt, brand new wheels, stickers, and a deck with the grip. He was funny too, I was quite intoxicated and he told me to grip the board then and there, so i was drunkenly trying to do it somewhat decently, he then shouted, "you take too long! Lemme show you how we do it." then he grabbed it out of my hand, slapped the grip on the board, quite poorly, and cut it terribly. Obviously it was really funny though, and in good humor. He also was telling everyone to be nice to me, I was the new roomate, "he's the new roomate, he's the new roomate" I felt like he kept saying it the whole night. I like Johan.
well this changes everything

G raham

• Rep: -48
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 07:17:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
used to have a little respect for this johan stuckey character i'm confused how someone who i consider to ACTUALLY skate could be this much of a kook. having mixed feelings about thrasher at the moment now as well, like... do they issue a public apology for posting a complete fraud??? do models wearing thrasher tee's mark the end of realness in ALL skateboardom? is the bible full of lies??? what is going onnnnn???? i so confuse..........  ???
[close]

I don't want to assume that Johan is the one behind this, simply because I like Johan, he actually really helped me out this one time, and was super kind to me. Gave me a free spitfire shirt, brand new wheels, stickers, and a deck with the grip. He was funny too, I was quite intoxicated and he told me to grip the board then and there, so i was drunkenly trying to do it somewhat decently, he then shouted, "you take too long! Lemme show you how we do it." then he grabbed it out of my hand, slapped the grip on the board, quite poorly, and cut it terribly. Obviously it was really funny though, and in good humor. He also was telling everyone to be nice to me, I was the new roomate, "he's the new roomate, he's the new roomate" I felt like he kept saying it the whole night. I like Johan.
[close]
well this changes everything
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2016, 07:24:21 AM »
I JUST WANT TO CALL OUT WKND FOR BLATANTLY STEALING MY IDEA

At first I thought it was a case of parallel thinking and then I saw the ending and it's just not cool.  It's like comedians stealing other people's jokes.

Here's the video I made 3 years ago for Kingshit magazine with Paul Liliani.  Stealing the finger boarding is one thing, but the finger banging joke is mine...

Here's the vid (if someone could tell me how to embed that would be great thanks)

MOD EDIT:  Just take the 's' out of https and it'll embed.  Great video, by the way.

Damn... that was basically identical.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

shit_for_brains

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 07:27:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And then you broke your arm jerking him off.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2016, 09:45:03 AM »
Well this happened 5 years ago so get in line WKND

raji

• Rep: 8
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2016, 09:59:32 AM »
haha the tech deck that little rainbow loading wheel dealy reference in it aswell.

EmilioBestevez

• Rep: 71
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2016, 10:04:56 AM »

^ true....I'll acknowledge the similarities for sure.  When I first started watching the WKND video I was alright with it, because I knew the fingerboarding idea would be in a lot of skateboarders heads...I wasn't surprised there - the video took a turn when I realized there were too many specific similarities between the two.  That video above stands alone....it's still a very different video than the one I made, and has a very different feel.  I can put my video beside that and feel good about having a similar idea....because we still made two very different videos in the end.  I can't know whether or not my video was consciously stolen, but I do know this...the only time anyone from WKND acknowledged the issue of plagiarism, was on my own instagram post, where nobody saw it.  Nobody from WKND has acknowledged the problem (or crazy coincidence, in their mind) on any of their pages, and I find that suspicious.  
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:17:56 AM by EmilioBestevez »

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2016, 10:24:27 AM »
and i was just starting to warm up to wknd...

reallygudsk8rkid

• Rep: -41
  • Don't Look Before You Leap
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2016, 10:40:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

And then you broke your arm jerking him off.

Psh, I'm stronger than that.

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2016, 10:41:59 AM »
Wow.  As has been said even if it was an accident now that they are aware of it they should acknowledge that.  If you are going to be part of the skateboarding community you need to be aware of what other people have or are doing.  When I had my skate shop the competing Christian-based shop used a lightning bolt graphic that was insanely close to my main graphic, and I got pissed.  Even if it was an accident, we are in a small mountain town with a tiny skate scene so they should have been aware of what is out there, and same for WKND.

I loved the original, I even liked to Tech Deck one since Socrates was a part of it hahah.  The skating on the girl this was hilarious.  I used to finger-skate on my ex all the time and she knew what I was doing.  I did a lot of epic transfers on her boobs.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2016, 10:48:49 AM »
First Brett Hull now this? no wonder americans sew Canadian flags on that backpacks abroad...

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1213
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2016, 11:25:54 AM »
yeah, i think the real stem of the problem could be that the "original" video was made in Canada...and we all know here in the U.S.of A. that Canadian-ideas are not "real", nor are they protected by those pesky intellectual whatchamacallit laws, copyright...more like copy-me-right?  

really though, it seems like a pretty standard premise that has been done by just about any/every burgeoning young skate-filmmaker.  not sure it really requires a formal apology or a head-nod or whatever.  it's similar to the skater-writes-home commercial/segment most recently retreaded by Nike in the Karsten ad (original being Rowley/Flip ad in 411).  

remember, this is skateboarding, everyone steals borrows pays homage to everything from each other... it's what makes the industry grrrrreat!      

hardly art, hardly starving

shit_for_brains

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2016, 12:08:23 PM »
Being condescending about it is an interesting route to take.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -608
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2016, 12:17:25 PM »
WKND's was funnier, skating was better.

When every brand is ripping each other of left and right, why are people so quick to condemn WKND? It's not like they're pioneering into anything that doesn't happen everyday in this industry.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2016, 12:19:37 PM »

lol, one of the dudes in that was like a local legend around town when i was growing up.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2016, 12:32:38 PM »
Expand Quote
w_k_n_d@genovani the ending is an easy joke which is why I almost didn't end mine that way. As easy as a fart joke. I finger skate my chick when we're watching tv that's how I thought of it. I'm sorry your idea didn't make it to a larger outlet 3+ years ago that way I would have seen it and not touched the idea.
[close]

I usually disapprove of calling out people for copying ideas because everything's been done before/benefit of the doubt etc etc, but this passive aggressive response to the connect the dots guy pissed me off.  They should acknowledge the previous video on their insta even if they don't admit to copying it, which I'm not even sure actually is the case.
and with that i went from: "which company is wknd again?" to: "oh, they keep popping up and they seem decent," to: "fuck those guys."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 02:16:51 PM by Iceman »

SkateStains

• Rep: -8
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2016, 03:39:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

^ true....I'll acknowledge the similarities for sure.  When I first started watching the WKND video I was alright with it, because I knew the fingerboarding idea would be in a lot of skateboarders heads...I wasn't surprised there - the video took a turn when I realized there were too many specific similarities between the two.  That video above stands alone....it's still a very different video than the one I made, and has a very different feel.  I can put my video beside that and feel good about having a similar idea....because we still made two very different videos in the end.  I can't know whether or not my video was consciously stolen, but I do know this...the only time anyone from WKND acknowledged the issue of plagiarism, was on my own instagram post, where nobody saw it.  Nobody from WKND has acknowledged the problem (or crazy coincidence, in their mind) on any of their pages, and I find that suspicious.  

Keep doing you Emilio!!But all jokes and ripoffs aside, when can we expect the longboard living video?!?!?! ;D ;D ;D

Give the people what they want.
Bryan "Slash" Cranston

jetset

• Rep: 15
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2016, 03:44:44 PM »
They stole their name too lol

Real talk it sucks that they are that similar.
I've entered CTD and can tell you coming up with + executing that shit in a month isn't easy.

frontsideoverkrook

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2016, 03:46:19 PM »

ok so another one of these video exists, which means that a lot of people had this idea independently   

posguy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2016, 03:53:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The tech deck video did what WKND should have done. We all dream about skating while at work but you're right, it's completely different than the comparison between your video and WKNDs. Plus they haven't even attempted to promote your video or point skaters to watch yours which is pretty shit of them. I felt the comment they left on your video basically said "sorry we're cooler and have more of a foot in the door than you, so stealing your shit is ok."

posguy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2016, 03:59:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

ok so another one of these video exists, which means that a lot of people had this idea independently   

Same concept but much different execution and basic premise. Group vs. Single, actual Tech Decks vs. Finger skating, etc.

EmilioBestevez

• Rep: 71
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2016, 04:08:31 PM »
Again....it's the specifics....the girl, the slapping of the hand...the structure of the whole thing.......I tried to listen to their side briefly but

If I was them and I somehow made the same video as someone else, I'd at least acknowledge what happened, instead of this shit.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 04:12:34 PM by EmilioBestevez »

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2016, 06:19:02 PM »
pretty hilarious that people think they came up with their idea independently.  having the same exact ending cinches it

people sue for things that are even less similar than this.  happens all the time.   not saying Mr. Bestevez should actually sue, but it is lame of them to blatantly rip him off.  not to mention it's an advertisement for their company, so it is something they're using to bring in money to their company.  not a student film festival submission or random youtube vid
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

WHO CARES?

• Rep: 1
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2016, 06:20:28 PM »
Again....it's the specifics....the girl, the slapping of the hand...the structure of the whole thing.......I tried to listen to their side briefly but

If I was them and I somehow made the same video as someone else, I'd at least acknowledge what happened, instead of this shit.

had to come back and see what's popping corn on this thread. disappointed in you johan smh... hilarious thing though is, this is skateboarding vs capitalism. people that skate can smell a kook a mile away, and this weird response is a kook move no matter how you cut it. be honest homie, you stole the shit straight up and mean to capitalize on it...that's what so wack. if this guy's "so fucking wack" i guess he must be 5 years ahead of your wackness LMAO

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2016, 06:46:47 PM »
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2016, 08:11:34 PM »
Them using dream weaver is kinda suspect as well seeing how the original was called day dream. I might be grasping at straws here...

doesnt really help their case that the only other thing they put out was that sandlot thing(that was an obvious homage, but still not original). also i bet their best selling boards are the ones with other peoples tv characters on them.
i really liked the weekendtages and their full vids and thought they had some funny original ideas then, what happened?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:25:38 PM by Zurg »

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2016, 08:59:50 PM »
I like WKND, and all the riders on the team, I like everything they've done thus far. 

Whether they knew about the video or not, regardless if it took place in Canada, Europe, Asia, or Antartica.  They are similar, yet different, the ending yeah its the same, BUT to act/call out the dude who got bummed for doing it first the way they are is just pathetic.  Fucking neck up parrot, admit they are similar say your piece whether you saw it or not, acknowledge the dude who did it first and carry on.  It would've been way easier.  Passive aggressive cyber hating makes you look really shitty, and also makes you look like you did something wrong to retort in that manner.
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

eastenders

• Rep: -115
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2016, 09:16:09 PM »
I like WKND now

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2016, 09:50:47 PM »
Johan's comment was pretty lame soooo since you are in this battle throw him something like this, "Well at least i made my own successful career instead of having my best friend putting me on his company",

Grind King Rims

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2016, 03:26:45 AM »
In b4 ride channel.