Author Topic: griptape spiel  (Read 10007 times)

rubbery vagina

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -51
Re: griptape spiel
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2016, 08:52:09 PM »
There's nothing cool about gripping your own board -- It's a cheap piece of wood that gets destroyed and replaced in a matter of weeks.

It's like changing the oil on your car; You could do it.... but why. I'd rather let the guy behind the counter grip it while I try on shoes. He is paid to stand around after all, and I'm supporting the shop so it's a win win.

swagsurfer

• Rep: -4
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2016, 01:29:54 AM »
There's nothing cool about gripping your own board -- It's a cheap piece of wood that gets destroyed and replaced in a matter of weeks.

It's like changing the oil on your car; You could do it.... but why. I'd rather let the guy behind the counter grip it while I try on shoes. He is paid to stand around after all, and I'm supporting the shop so it's a win win.

1. What's cool about someone else gripping your board?
2. I love the feeling of gripping a board.
3. Changing your own oil is cheaper and and definitely hand-ons.
4. If that's really your logic, I should just fuck your bitch for you when she's feeling horny. Pum pum boy.

Jordick

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2016, 06:39:18 AM »
I don't understand how people perceive someone else gripping their board equivalent to "fucking their bitch" especially if it's gonna die within a month or less, sometimes even one day. They're meant to have fun on and destroy, not to be restricted by cool guy rules. That being said I never get them gripped for me, and I often do a shitty job on my grip.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2016, 06:55:22 AM »
I've never had anyone clean my bearings for me.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2016, 09:05:58 AM »

my pops taught me how to change the oil on my car a long time ago. super easy to do and it shouldn't cost more than $30 if you're using top of the line products. if you get a $30 oil change at a mechanic shop expect some no name brand garbage.
good come sausage

Xtal

« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2016, 06:32:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

1. What's cool about someone else gripping your board?
2. I love the feeling of gripping a board.
3. Changing your own oil is cheaper and and definitely hand-ons.
4. If that's really your logic, I should just fuck your bitch for you when she's feeling horny. Pum pum boy.

k "swagsurfer" lol

zippy z

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2016, 06:50:47 PM »
Jessup has gone to complete shit. Shreds like string cheese and wears out in less than 3 weeks. No bueno muchacho.

Mob is solid and lasts past the life of the deck. Muy bueno muchacho. Indy, OJ, mob, Bronson...NHS has a few things figured out.

Green Bastard

• Rep: 7
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2016, 06:47:02 PM »
What if Deluxe made grip?

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2016, 10:59:29 PM »
What if Deluxe made grip?

I know they had shirts and I think I saw stickers but wasn't this just to enter a contest with a Girl/AH all star team
during beauty and the beast?

As far as gripping goes I like to grip my own boards. Popsicles I like black grip with no marks or lines, I use one silverado on the left side of my board. Why? I'm regular. Does left side mean regular? In my mind, yes. If I was goofy it would definitely be on the right but that's getting into OCD/geek shit. When I setup a shaped deck I might throw some lines in just cuz I don't ride them as often as popsicles so it seems worth it cuz it'll be around for a bit. I think every skater should know how to grip a board but if you want someone else to then whatever. What if you need a board mid session and don't have a spare? I know not everywhere is like L.A. with skateshops malls kooky sporting good stores and just about everyone and their gmas selling boards but if I gotta buy one I'll let them grip it just to save me some extra time. You gotta get in the car in the suburbs so I all you gotta do is slap the trucks back on when you're headed back to the spot. Does that make you lame because you want more time to skate instead of watching your homies skate while you get out the file and razor and keep it real?

I got my first setup from CCS when I was 12 but the first time I got a board from Val Surf and realized it didn't come gripped already I HAD to do it to my next board. I didn't even know the guy at VS scored it with a file I thought it was just the smooth side of a screwdriver. The screwdriver didn't do shit to the grip and my first try was horrible but after that it was gravy.
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

zippy z

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2016, 05:48:31 AM »
I must have had a line on that junk Jessup because me and a homskillet both had a handful of decks covered in shredded and chipped griptape. Also, Jessup lasts about 15 sessions before it looses its grip. I switched to Mob  for my last deck and the grip lasted longer than the board. I normally retire a board once I'm into the middle ply on the tail. Also, Mob does cool videos like this --> http://www.mobgrip.com/video/1743/nhs-r+d-lab-grip-tape/

Tay

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2016, 06:48:32 AM »

If you want something done right; do it yourself. Unfortunately, I've had Jiffylube put Loctite on my oil pan plug and the local shop kid slaughter my grip. Never again. It's lazy not to do it yourself, all you need is a 15mm wrench, two plastic bags, an old baking pan, and 30 minutes. And for grip just a box cutter.

Dengles

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2016, 07:43:23 AM »
Gripping boards is one of my favorite pastimes, nothing is better than spinning an album drinking a cup of coffee and gripping a beautiful new deck.  I miss changing my own oil, the neighborhood I rent in bans it because they're afraid of people making a mess in the drive way area. 

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2016, 08:25:57 AM »
I usually get Jessup or Mini Logo grip, they work great for me. I used to always get Black Magic back in the day. Right now I have a mob PBR full grip graphic and I don't really like it, the graphic is slightly annoying when i look down and see it all the time.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2016, 10:14:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you want something done right; do it yourself. Unfortunately, I've had Jiffylube put Loctite on my oil pan plug and the local shop kid slaughter my grip. Never again. It's lazy not to do it yourself, all you need is a 15mm wrench, two plastic bags, an old baking pan, and 30 minutes. And for grip just a box cutter.

Jiffylube is the mechanic equivalent of Zumiez. My friend got his oil changed there and they stripped his oil pan plug bad. Caused a leak and the manager was trying to get out of fixing it saying it was already stripped or some bullshit.

Never had any problems with real mechanics or real skateshops though. They usually just do it better than I could've

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2016, 06:19:28 PM »
I like to write things on my board. Once I did this whole verse from Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, it was a battle verse about charging straight into battle. In hindsight it was goofy but I liked it. Another time I had "Tomorrow will be the most beautiful day of Raymond K. Hessle's life." Now I got "Come on feet" written on there. Good conversation starter, either people just say "Quasimoto!" or ask what that could mean.

ghost dog, fuck yes.
fight club, fuck yes
not crazy on quasimoto but regular ole madlib is just fine by me, used to spin blunted in the bomb shelter and shades of blue regularly.

the_unknown_soldier-you will be happy to know that hotline (die cut obnoxious "h") is no longer in business, but plenty of other surf shops selling skate shit are.

had to have black magic on my first shortys smolik deck
mob was a go to til it started chipping on my gareth sterh deck
have only had one piece of jessup that was subpar

as far as procedure, peel, start in center and move towards nose and tail, hit it with an ox, quick sand around the edges and a few toots of the rattlecan we are in business.

crazy how many kids eat up the prefab "custom" grip a la mouse.
i was watching this old ass progression magazine vhs the other day and there was a custom grip company commercial, simple shit just like the mouse stuff just ten+ years elder. ill have to re-watch to catch that brand name