Author Topic: Shuriken Shannon Speaks - Kicked Off Santa Cruz (Andrew Cannon)  (Read 17234 times)

Monty Burns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
Re: Shuriken Shannon Speaks - Kicked Off Santa Cruz (Andrew Cannon)
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2016, 05:01:36 PM »
Kinda reminds me of when NIKE let Danny Supa go . Neither produced tons of footage or ads and were coasting it . Then when they get fired they cant believe it , it came out of the blue  and then they  talk badly about their sponsors

Got nothing against Shannon but I cant say I see him as a footage machine

Also surprises me about some of your guys reply .  He should get on X company , he should get on Y company . Have you guys seen whats going on in the skate businesses these days ? Even the big companies are having a hard to time stay in business . What makes you think a skater who produces little footage can get on a new company at all ?

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2016, 05:11:21 PM »
Kinda reminds me of when NIKE let Danny Supa go . Neither produced tons of footage or ads and were coasting it . Then when they get fired they cant believe it , it came out of the blue  and then they  talk badly about their sponsors

Also surprises me about some of your guys reply .  He should get on X company , he should get on Y company . Have you guys seen whats going on in the skate businesses these days ? Even the big companies are having a hard to time stay in business . What makes you think a skater who produces little footage can get on a new company at all ?

While I agree with you, the only person who produces footage on Santa Cruz is Asta. What ever happened to Guzman? He's still on team page but I remember around 09 slap couldn't get enough of the dude.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Eric ricks

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2016, 05:18:10 PM »

Gino, dill, etc

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2016, 06:10:49 PM »

sean pablo. stop posting already

Tabletop

• Rep: -72
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2016, 06:17:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Gino, dill, etc

Etc?

2 very special cases.
Dill produces more footage than SS, plus it's his board company.
And well Gino is Gino.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2016, 06:35:24 PM »
I think this page of posters forgot he just had a part on hellaclips which was insane

EDIT: Also this about Guzman, came out at the end of last year

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 06:39:00 PM by tobey »

zippy z

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2016, 06:41:54 PM »
Bert's flow for SC and puts out more each year than some pros entire careers. #justsayin

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2016, 05:42:01 PM »
Shuriken deserves a proper sponsor, he's too fucking good

He should try to get on Primitive

At the least he deserves to be interviewed by someone who bothers to get out of bed for it.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

FROST YOUR TIPS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
  • Alex Olson's Personal Stylist
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2016, 09:25:48 PM »
The most frustrating part of getting kicked off Santa Cruz, would be getting told you were not producing by Andrew Cannon lol

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2016, 10:02:19 PM »
Santa Cruz is a joke anyway, totally relying on the heyday of the 80's.
At no point have they held a stable team that had any longevity on the brand, strubing maybe was the longest but he's gone now.
Asta and remilard are epic but don't belong on the same board co.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2016, 11:27:48 PM »
the shelf life of a Santa Cruz pro is about 2-3 years on average.  they gotta know this going in. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2016, 01:43:27 AM »
Santa cruz is a really strange brand nowadays. Their team isnt cohesive at all.
Shuriken is great skater and i think he's not milking it, he always had cool parts for his sponsors. SC is the one that seem to not care about promoting their stuff. What they said about the lack of footage was just a shitty excuse... Hope he lands on a brand that fits his style better and give us more footage of him.
I kinda liked Andrew Cannon because he likes bands that i like, but he came out of this as a idiot...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2016, 07:46:36 AM »
I don't mean this in an insulting way but I don't think in my twenty plus years of skating that I've ever seen someone riding a Santa Cruz. For the record, I live in New England which I'm sure has to do with it. Are they still relevant in CA? They've always kind of baffled me: haven't had a cohesive team in years, really stale art, no relevant videos since the early 90's...do they just survive off Star Wars longboards?
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Scott/Howard

« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2016, 08:08:14 AM »
I don't mean this in an insulting way but I don't think in my twenty plus years of skating that I've ever seen someone riding a Santa Cruz. For the record, I live in New England which I'm sure has to do with it. Are they still relevant in CA? They've always kind of baffled me: haven't had a cohesive team in years, really stale art, no relevant videos since the early 90's...do they just survive off Star Wars longboards?
I've seen 3 in my twenty plus years of skating in Southern California
Some kid at my school bought a "Power-Ply" in the 90's, Jason Rothmeyer and my brothers friend
I came close to riding a Santa Cruz board twice
Once when I just started skating my brothers friend wanted to trade me my World Dune board for Jason Jesse that had a fish tail still
Another time I was in Santa Cruz and my mom said she's by me a board, I was gonna get a Santa Cruz board but I didn't because I really liked the graphic on the John Fabriquer board who used to ride for Santa Cruz but by that time he was on Dogtown.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2016, 08:59:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
how did he not know shuriken was talking about john lucero when speaking about black label?
cringe
[close]

it was a rhetorical question, some of the kids who watch that shit have no idea who lucero is and what he's done for skateboarding

i haven't seen a black label deck in years
[close]
I had a jim gagne once

Somewhat related: I had a Jim gag me once.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2016, 10:17:51 AM »
I just watched 90 seconds of that and got bored.  How do they think anyone is going to watch 29 minutes about a fourth tier pro parting ways with a snowboard/surf/mountain bike company?

the mountain bike company is a separate entity owned by a dutch company now.  though still using the name an logo.  Roskopp got rich.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/santa-cruz-bicycles-sold-to-pon-holdings

Fecal Fury

• Rep: 60
  • 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2016, 10:20:54 AM »

They have a strong brand image and even if their boards aren't selling, their apparel sure does.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2016, 11:25:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I've seen 3 in my twenty plus years of skating in Southern California
Some kid at my school bought a "Power-Ply" in the 90's, Jason Rothmeyer and my brothers friend
I came close to riding a Santa Cruz board twice
Once when I just started skating my brothers friend wanted to trade me my World Dune board for Jason Jesse that had a fish tail still
Another time I was in Santa Cruz and my mom said she's by me a board, I was gonna get a Santa Cruz board but I didn't because I really liked the graphic on the John Fabriquer board who used to ride for Santa Cruz but by that time he was on Dogtown.
Santa Cruz survives cuz of other stuff in NHS, NHS owns a percentage of Indy, i think half actually, OJ's are the most popular cruiser wheels at most skate shops, they distribute Flip, the bullet trucks and wheels are pretty popular for first time completes, they sell a ton of reissues from the 80s, i've seen a few a of those reissues going for double on ebay, Krux, i've heard they sell tons of clothes in nor cal just cuz it says Santa Cruz, when i was young i was at an airbrush place and their blank shirts were Santa Cruz shirts. They probaly sell enough regular boards to keep it viable, i'm betting they put Tom Remillard on so they can younger pro to do some shaped boards for.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2016, 11:52:17 AM »
the shelf life of a Santa Cruz pro is about 2-3 years on average.  they gotta know this going in. 

It also seems like it is near impossible get a board sponsor after you've been on SC. I can't think of many pros who have left and gone on to a successful sponsorship with another company. It's like they're blacklisted.

Grosso and Nestor are the only ones I can think of.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2016, 12:11:27 PM »
And rob welsh to exp1

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2016, 12:12:16 PM »
Santa Cruz has been struggling for an identity since like 1989
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 995
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2016, 12:20:22 PM »
SC, like Powell Peralta will continue to survive off name, reissues, and wheels alone; SC is a bit more diversified when it comes to brands (over 13+, fuuuu!).

Their 'core' team is lacking, all over the place when it comes to quality...Asta is/was a strange move given the rest, though with Shannon, you could say they were building something core. Melivn rips, Guzeman...the rest? Jesse/Salba/Knox/Dressen are legend status so they don't really count...guzeman, not sure how he still gets a board, Borden...who the hell knows (kills it tho).

It's clearly not a priority for them. I love the NHS 8.2"x31.9"13.33WB tho (only via SC or Creature, no flip uses this shape) like Whaley says, it's my Jam.

The SC art also sucks which given the legacy and access to the (Jimbo) Phillips art team is a terrible thing.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2016, 12:51:29 PM »
And rob welsh to exp1

Good call! Such an odd fit...
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2016, 01:23:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It also seems like it is near impossible get a board sponsor after you've been on SC. I can't think of many pros who have left and gone on to a successful sponsorship with another company. It's like they're blacklisted.

Grosso and Nestor are the only ones I can think of.
not that he was pro for SC but maurius left too.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2016, 02:00:43 PM »
I think this page of posters forgot he just had a part on hellaclips which was insane

EDIT: Also this about Guzman, came out at the end of last year

I was ready to say that "insane" is more than a stretch, but it really picks up after the hardflip wallride.
https://www.hellaclips.com/video/hellaclips-exclusive-skate-assassins-shuriken-shannon/

Still, I can't see him getting on another sponsor after a half hour of shit talking  :-\ there was a hell of a lot of mediocre low impact stuff in there and he only had about 5 of the weakest clips in that tour video
shame, I've always really liked his style.
Didn't he switch firecracker the wilshire 15? Nope, that was Marcus Saulsberry and it wasn't switch.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:04:41 PM by Grind King Rims »

virginsiloveem

• Rep: -11
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2016, 02:57:34 PM »
Honestly is shuriken that sick? Is anyone buying a board with the dudes name on it? He has kinda a cool style but nothing special. I think Andrew is actually moving the brand in a relatable way to people other than people that skate in California. I work at a shop on the east coast and we would sit on nhs for a minute, would only sell reissue graphics really, and now that Asta is on we can't keep it in stock, even cringe worthy SC graphics it's crazy. I think this was Andrews first big "move" as boss man and hasn't figured out how to tell people something straight up and stick to it. Side note fuck whoever is that dude talking mainly in this video could only handle a few minutes, one of those internet kids turning skateboarding into some gossip YouTube show and tells you to subscribe at the end or some shit.

BornToLose

• Rep: 0
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2016, 03:15:43 PM »
Can we get this Emmanuel Guzman back?

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2016, 03:47:41 PM »
Drewsdays is straight
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2016, 11:34:30 PM »
I had a Strubing Powerply. It was good. Also, Erick Winkowski is on and that's good too.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2016, 01:42:25 AM »
They need to stick to the 80's reissues, it obviously works.
Drop the star wars , marvel cringe worthy crap,
And get a new artist and image for the modern team re-boot