Author Topic: New Volcom video coming: Holy Stokes  (Read 55463 times)

tobey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
Re: New Volcom video coming: Holy Stokes
« Reply #240 on: June 07, 2016, 02:35:38 PM »
Volcom videos have always sucked.  This is nothing new.

It's really not that bad that people make it seemed to be. Like the drone shots are just for showing the places they visited. People made it seemed that they were filming tricks with drones, which that only happened like twice. Only slow mo i noticed that went a little overboard was Alec's part. Which is understanding because he just put out a full part in Away Days, so it seemed like they were trying to get the most out of his tricks. There was also probably 10 minutes of Grant footage throughout the whole video. I wished they just used all that footage for his own part instead of sharing it with Collin. Also Daan is already a legend after this video. Still its a pretty good video and it will probably be on repeat for a little

GatorsGhost

• Rep: 116
    • Chilogy avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #241 on: June 07, 2016, 03:19:43 PM »
A couple Daan clips just came up on my feed.  The filming and editing looks way less annoying than people are making it seem.  Can't wait to get home and watch it.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #242 on: June 07, 2016, 03:35:42 PM »
VolcomStoned dude is a true G! Thanks for looking out homie!

Everyone go buy the fucking video and support full length videos. Fucking assholes
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #243 on: June 07, 2016, 03:53:23 PM »
Freedom Wig is a good video.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #244 on: June 07, 2016, 05:19:34 PM »
you would think from this thread that Holy Stokes is worst video of all time. Bunch of fuckin' complainers, jeez.

I bought it on iTunes, and it was pretty sick.

It's definitely a different animal than say, GX1000, but it's still good. Someone commented about it being on TVs in the background at Pac-Sun, that will definitely happen. But that's also one of their target markets, is anyone surprised?

But, the skating is incredible, the filming is similar to Pretty Sweet/We Are Blood/whatever, but I enjoyed it.

Milton, Kwalks, Pedro, Alec, Daan, GT were amazing, tons of other good dudes too. Also hyped on Caswell!

Oh and the Dollin skit. I thought it was great. It reminded me exactly of some Pee Wee Herman shit, or the dream sequence from Big Lebowski.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #245 on: June 07, 2016, 06:37:47 PM »
link or gtfo idiots
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

one80

• Rep: 14
« Reply #246 on: June 07, 2016, 09:13:21 PM »
my first job was at a volcom store. it was a pretty rad experience. would just play lets live on loop on the tv. their chino pants/shorts are amazing. their denim was mad durable as well. bout to happily purchase. $10 is totally worth Louie, GT, Daan... might even have to cop some pants again too.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #247 on: June 07, 2016, 09:22:16 PM »
Expand Quote
VolcomStoned: Is there any reason why there are only like 3 or 4 lines in this entire video (bowl/pool not included)? Is it the camera you use? The filmer who is unable? Biggest deal breaker for me. Well that and the drones. And the music.

[close]

I personally thought there should have been more lines too, Those RED cameras are like 30 lbs so it made it kind of difficult but it was mainly because of the spots we hit too. we were traveling around the country following the Wild In The Parks crew for the bulk of it and alot of the spots were one trick spots. there will be raw edits too that will probably have more lines.

You need to put these in the iTunes version as extras like Vans did with Propeller. Those raw files are the stuff I usually end up liking more, and I'd rather have them on my computer than go hunt for them on YouTube. Still not sure if I should buy this or not as the reviews are so mixed, but I'm leaning towards nah without the raw edits included.

Dave Fuck

• Rep: -6
« Reply #248 on: June 07, 2016, 09:45:33 PM »
The only thing that saved this video from being an actual pile of shit was Daan and GT/Spider's parts. I bought it on itunes and just finished it, but I honestly skipped thru over half the video, due to a bunch of uninteresting skaters that I couldn't care less about, and way too many slow mo montages that were drug out entirely too long. I was really bummed that Axel Cruysberghs didn't have a full part, but I really like the way that dude skates. There is no doubt in my mind that Daan will go pro within a year. Some of the tricks he pulled were absolute insanity. The F/S Wallride and the Hippy Jump thru the rail of that big stair set were the most memorable tricks throughout the video. I was looking forward to a Ben Raemers part, but go figure he only had maybe 6 or 7 tricks and shared a part with like 3 people. But he did arguably the longest backside boardslide in the history of skateboarding. Overall I wouldn't advise anyone to spend their hard earned money on this video, just wait until a web rip or a torrent becomes available.

ComTruise

« Reply #249 on: June 07, 2016, 10:13:21 PM »
I don't get all the hate this video is getting. Yeah it was pretty long..but what can you do when you have this many team riders? Yeah there was a lot of drone shots..but you guys saw the trailer, you know Russel Houghtens work.. You knew what to expect.

The video was packed full of amazing skating and videography. Sure I'll probably only watch a select few parts again but I cant believe you can complain about paying a measly $10 for a video with such good production and skating like this. Louie Lopez was my favorite part, songs were perfect and he has soo many good tricks. Daan Van Der Linden was another favorite, you just have to see his part to understand. I liked the South America section and Milton Martinez is FUCKING GNARLY. Alec's part was awesome as well, I liked this much more than his Adidas part.

Buy the video, download it, steal it, whatever.. It's a rad video so just enjoy it.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #250 on: June 08, 2016, 03:19:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good skaters, horrible videos.  Volcom skate videos are always edited like surfing videos.  Always.  Never have I once rewatched a Volcom video.  They found a way to make a Rowley mini-ramp part unwatchable.  They suck, sorry.  It's a surfing company from the jump.   Just like Quiksilver, Stussy, Billabong, Split...

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #251 on: June 08, 2016, 10:36:22 AM »
how does boozentitz sweat that much in that first clip???
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

VolcomStoned

• Rep: 7
    • volcom.com avatar image
« Reply #252 on: June 08, 2016, 02:57:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Good skaters, horrible videos.  Volcom skate videos are always edited like surfing videos.  Always.  Never have I once rewatched a Volcom video.  They found a way to make a Rowley mini-ramp part unwatchable.  They suck, sorry.  It's a surfing company from the jump.   Just like Quiksilver, Stussy, Billabong, Split...

I'd say all the Batman movies sucked too but Dark Knight was by far the best out of all of them so I can even hate...

Sorry you thought the video sucked, but hey that's your opinion.

As far as being a surfing company, we actually launched the brand with skateboarding, surfing and snowboarding from the start. We just happened to catch more traction in the surf and snow worlds, which is why people think we started as a surf company. Remy Stratton has been riding for and at the helm of the skate department since the beginning, which is absolutely epic btw, but at that time vert was dead which is why we kinda missed the whole baggy pants and small wheels era. since then we've been building the team to what it is today.

All our videos have been edited by different people and we've always try to do something different.

volcom fun fact: Remy's only Thrasher cover was the "Vert is Dead" issue

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #253 on: June 08, 2016, 03:10:16 PM »
Batman begins is by far the best one of the series, but dark knight is pretty much one of the best movies ever though

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #254 on: June 08, 2016, 04:46:23 PM »
It's lame they made Jackson change his original beautiful Aussie name from Jackson Pingaz

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #255 on: June 08, 2016, 05:02:38 PM »
I actually enjoy watching surf videos occasionally so I'm not bummed by that. All I know is I was looking forward to Grant and Daan and I was not disappointed. Good shit.

Eskorbut0

• Rep: -2
  • Be careful what you wish for
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #256 on: June 08, 2016, 07:09:35 PM »
The video was great! I don't understand the hate. Felt pretty true to what a "skater" would want.

asakusa75

« Reply #257 on: June 09, 2016, 03:13:32 AM »
That Daan kid is off his face. Whole video was way more watchable than I was expecting. So much fucking gnarly shit in it.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #258 on: June 09, 2016, 11:18:44 AM »
Alec should get SOTY. 2 amazing parts this year and both in big name videos. He definitely won't get it though but they should have him in the vote for SOTY which doesn't mean shit 

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #259 on: June 09, 2016, 11:40:15 AM »
It took like 8 years but louie lopez has finally grown on me, his part might have been my favorite.

I liked the video but it felt like a lot of tranny and rail chomping.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #260 on: June 09, 2016, 12:55:56 PM »
Beautiful video, it is pleasure to eyes. Colorful, beautiful long lens shots. I can actually see the spot being skated and observe the terrain. And of course guys killing it at the video. Seems that Alec had saved best bits for Volcom.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #261 on: June 09, 2016, 01:29:51 PM »
Agree that it was beautifully shot and tons of amazing skating throughout.

It did feel a little repetitive, with every other trick being done on a giant rail or pool. Also the music was garbage, probably a requirement for Volcom.

gx1000 was better
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #262 on: June 09, 2016, 02:15:46 PM »
Burman on cornrows.

VolcomStoned

• Rep: 7
    • volcom.com avatar image
« Reply #263 on: June 09, 2016, 04:17:45 PM »

Dustin has been trying to get this one for a while, he went back multiple times. Can't say he didn't try.

KDP

• Rep: 12
« Reply #264 on: June 10, 2016, 03:00:22 AM »
Fucking hell.

KP

• Rep: 16
« Reply #265 on: June 10, 2016, 01:21:22 PM »
the more i watch Daan's part, the more i like him
he has the full package: can skate anything and do anything he wants with style

GT and Provost's part was short but god that was intense !

now i'm staring at that still from the hall of meat above
makes no fucking sense

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #266 on: June 10, 2016, 05:09:12 PM »
This is our team, we're on the road just as much, if not more then any other skate team, we're skateboarders just like everyone else and this is a proper representation of our team. We know we have the orange county/socal surf company stigma and trust me the skate dudes in the company hate it cause it's really not who we are.

I liked the video. It's almost an hour's worth of hammers. Watching Pedro, Omar and Grant skate those pools was a thing of beauty. I don't think people realize the gnar factor at some of those spots and those guys were crushing. Omar didn't have a ton of stuff but everything he had was gold. I've always considered him one of the most underrated pros ever. And at 40 he doesn't look like he's slowing down either.

Pfanner was my favorite. Yet another guy that just quietly goes about his business and destroys everything in his path.

Watching Grant skate leaves you wondering what that's like to be that damn good and skate literally anything and everything you decide to on any given day.

Lee Ralph!

Last note...I've never given Alec Majerus much attention but between this and his part in Away Days, holy shit does he rip. If he skated for anyone other than Flip he'd probably get a lot more people's attention.

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #267 on: June 11, 2016, 10:47:24 AM »
I was really looking forward to Daan's part and it didn't disappoint. I'm a big fan of Dollin but that skit was just stupid. Came out of nowhere and didn't fit the video at all. Every part was good but somehow left me dissatisfied except for Daan, Jackson Pilz/Axel, Alec, and Grant/Collin. Alec's kickflip back tail down the oceanside  hubba was beautiful. Grant/Collin's part was great except for the fact that it ended super abruptly. They compliment each other really well. The part kept building up and I expected some crazy ender but it was just grant bs grinding a an average kinked rail and then the video ends. The cinematography and editing were good for the most part except for when parts ended abruptly.  Also, too many montages. It's very similar to we are blood.

Found this floating around:
Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #268 on: June 11, 2016, 11:37:15 AM »
I was really looking forward to Daan's part and it didn't disappoint. I'm a big fan of Dollin but that skit was just stupid. Came out of nowhere and didn't fit the video at all. Every part was good but somehow left me dissatisfied except for Daan, Jackson Pilz/Axel, Alec, and Grant/Collin. Alec's kickflip back tail down the oceanside  hubba was beautiful. Grant/Collin's part was great except for the fact that it ended super abruptly. They compliment each other really well. The part kept building up and I expected some crazy ender but it was just grant bs grinding a an average kinked rail and then the video ends. The cinematography and editing were good for the most part except for when parts ended abruptly.  Also, too many montages. It's very similar to we are blood.

Found this floating around:
Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

That shit is beast.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #269 on: June 11, 2016, 03:22:06 PM »
Who got the plug?