Author Topic: what has happened to Dan Murphy?  (Read 7743 times)

UserFame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
what has happened to Dan Murphy?
« on: March 05, 2016, 02:47:27 AM »
I really enjoyed his skating some years ago.

links to instagram o something.

thanks!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
Re: what has happened to Dan Murphy?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 02:59:15 AM »
The guy had almost too much talent when he first arrived. Unless your name is Corey Duffel, skating for Foundation is a bad thing.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 04:03:21 AM »
those flat brimed hats he wore and his whole style was somthin else.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -203
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 04:20:51 AM »
He's back on Mystery

mbcls

• Rep: -3
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 05:50:40 AM »
He had knee surgery pretty recently

Grind King Rims

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 07:10:45 AM »
He's back on Mystery

Yep, got back on in October of 2015 and to promote his being back on the team they ran an ad of a lipslide that was in Black and White in 2007.

Dude has great style though, I'm happy for him. Probably the first guy I ever saw switch bs smith a handrail.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 07:31:31 AM »
He was on this really weird skateboard mag tour with jake Johnson, Bobby worrest, Ben hatchell, and Aaron gioure and they all skated my town for like 3 or 4 days and he did 3 or 4 tricks that were completely insane and I never saw any of the footage come out. The most memorable was this really sketchy roof into the crustiest bank ever and he switch front side flipped it. All that happened like 4 or 5 years ago.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

jomeara1

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 08:52:58 AM »
I still love watching that Mystery section from New Blood even though its kinda short

43s&slappies

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 11:11:05 AM »
He was on this really weird skateboard mag tour with jake Johnson, Bobby worrest, Ben hatchell, and Aaron gioure and they all skated my town for like 3 or 4 days and he did 3 or 4 tricks that were completely insane and I never saw any of the footage come out. The most memorable was this really sketchy roof into the crustiest bank ever and he switch front side flipped it. All that happened like 4 or 5 years ago.
whose aaron gioure? or are you saying aaron goure was on a trip w JJ and co. 4 years go?

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 11:35:02 AM »
Think latest was the part from Foundation , followed with a shared part with Bachinsky

He finished school , left foundation and Hes on Mystery now .   

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 05:33:43 PM »
Sinclair explained here what happened. Can anybody find the thread? He put him on foundation basically as a favor to keep his career alive after mystery.

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 05:48:32 PM »
Same, they come to my hometown in the middle of nowhere Virginia and totally killed it. It was called "Blue Ridge Riot Tour"

summertimebluesdaddy

• Rep: -14
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 06:01:12 PM »
I still love watching that Mystery section from New Blood even though its kinda short
I hate you with every fiber of my being.  You are such an annoying fucking asshole and I would do anything for you to stop posting on this message board.
Always a bridesmaid, never a bride...

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 06:32:55 PM »
I used to skate with him in New Hampshire before he went down to North Carolina, I even gave him a few decks. He was always so consistent and you can still find footage from him on the net, but he never seemed interested in contests and probably would have made a greater name if he headed out to California.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 06:35:56 PM by sluggers »

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 06:42:05 PM »
He has always been kept in the game due to a TM hooked up with a shoe sponsor going back to Hampton, NH and he deserves it.

RajeevWins

• Rep: 16
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 06:55:02 PM »
His instagram is https://www.instagram.com/murphyflies/ and it appears he had knee surgery in January that didn't workout, so he had to have another one. His style is awesome and I always thought it was bullshit Nike never fully put him on the team.

i came up through the "niggas don't skate days"

Witcheshit

• Rep: 3
  • nosebeforehoes.blogspot.com
    • nose before hoes avatar image
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 06:56:13 PM »
Sinclair explained here what happened. Can anybody find the thread? He put him on foundation basically as a favor to keep his career alive after mystery.

Good Morning SLAP PALS! I know most of you want both sides of the story.. Dan Murphy is / was my great friend. I was the first person to sponsor him and recently I was the last. I helped Dan out as much as I possibly could and paid him longer than any of his other sponsors. When he was kicked off Mystery a few years back, I picked him up gave him a board on Foundation as fast as I possibly could to help him keep him going. Some people liked this move and some hated it. Does Dan Murphy fit Foundation? Nah.. but I backed him and his skating. Everyone that was on the team liked Murphy and he was always fun to be around. When I signed him up I sat him down and explained to him that this would probably only last a couple of years so I wanted to prepare him for life after skating... Dan was in his early 30's then. I made him the best bro deal I could possibly make him for being at a small brand like Foundation. I will pay you and you can live in NC but all I need from you is to provide me with proper footage and get coverage in all the mags. In the meantime you can go back to College (he already has a degree) or start a business of you own to help prepare you for the next chapter in life after skating. Dan filmed a bit had a part in WTF which was rad in my opinion. Dan was plagued with injury after injury which happens... some from skating some from partying...Dan still parties like he is still in college and I still see this as his down fall. I always told Dan even in his Mystery days to "Go back to Flow" The meaning of that is when Dan was on flow he was on fire, he fucking killed it everyday went out but Dan lives 1 block away from his old College campus. Dan loves to party. In the end Dan was not producing as much or well as the other riders, he was only producing on a local level and the local shops could not sell enough or any Dan Murphy boards for us to keep paying him. Does Dan Murphy still have fans... For sure, I'm still a fan. Years have gone by and Dan has had little to no coverage or no supporting sponsors to help him travel or get coverage. Dan's last effort was in "Film & Destory" a local North Carolina video that is rad but is also a board company (Post 22). Dan does not ride for Post 22 or Foundation. Dan recently went over my head and discussed with Swank about how much he has been working lately and that he feels insulted that we could only promote him on a local level. If Dan Murphy was still killing it and his boards were selling I would be giving my bro a high 5! My last words to Dan were.. Get a job you fucking loser. Is that harsh? Yes for sure.. Wishing nothing but the best for Dan and his future. He knows this...

Next up Sierra..�

Roll Forever Tate, 360 Frip, Yappie Dappie, Rusty, T Mack, Pablo, Malcolm, Nosey, Abair

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 09:14:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Good Morning SLAP PALS! I know most of you want both sides of the story.. Dan Murphy is / was my great friend. I was the first person to sponsor him and recently I was the last. I helped Dan out as much as I possibly could and paid him longer than any of his other sponsors. When he was kicked off Mystery a few years back, I picked him up gave him a board on Foundation as fast as I possibly could to help him keep him going. Some people liked this move and some hated it. Does Dan Murphy fit Foundation? Nah.. but I backed him and his skating. Everyone that was on the team liked Murphy and he was always fun to be around. When I signed him up I sat him down and explained to him that this would probably only last a couple of years so I wanted to prepare him for life after skating... Dan was in his early 30's then. I made him the best bro deal I could possibly make him for being at a small brand like Foundation. I will pay you and you can live in NC but all I need from you is to provide me with proper footage and get coverage in all the mags. In the meantime you can go back to College (he already has a degree) or start a business of you own to help prepare you for the next chapter in life after skating. Dan filmed a bit had a part in WTF which was rad in my opinion. Dan was plagued with injury after injury which happens... some from skating some from partying...Dan still parties like he is still in college and I still see this as his down fall. I always told Dan even in his Mystery days to "Go back to Flow" The meaning of that is when Dan was on flow he was on fire, he fucking killed it everyday went out but Dan lives 1 block away from his old College campus. Dan loves to party. In the end Dan was not producing as much or well as the other riders, he was only producing on a local level and the local shops could not sell enough or any Dan Murphy boards for us to keep paying him. Does Dan Murphy still have fans... For sure, I'm still a fan. Years have gone by and Dan has had little to no coverage or no supporting sponsors to help him travel or get coverage. Dan's last effort was in "Film & Destory" a local North Carolina video that is rad but is also a board company (Post 22). Dan does not ride for Post 22 or Foundation. Dan recently went over my head and discussed with Swank about how much he has been working lately and that he feels insulted that we could only promote him on a local level. If Dan Murphy was still killing it and his boards were selling I would be giving my bro a high 5! My last words to Dan were.. Get a job you fucking loser. Is that harsh? Yes for sure.. Wishing nothing but the best for Dan and his future. He knows this...

Next up Sierra..�
[close]
i have a hard time taking anything seriously from a guy who was tm of neff.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 09:17:57 PM »
That knock on Sierra is pretty harsh

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 10:48:11 PM »
didn't he loose an eye ? i remember reading it in a magazine- i think the skateboarder magazine?
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 10:54:14 PM »

http://imgur.com/a/LmCJS

He's selling booze down under.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:56:43 PM by Dad you're embarrassing me »

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 08:00:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Same, they come to my hometown in the middle of nowhere Virginia and totally killed it. It was called "Blue Ridge Riot Tour"

Yea I didn't spell Aaron's name right but to be honest I didn't care.

Yea it's the same tour and I've seen that video but the switch front side flip isn't in there. There is a line that Bobby did that isn't in there and 3 rails that Ben did that I've never seen any of those clips either.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 08:16:27 PM »
His style is awesome and I always thought it was bullshit Nike never fully put him on the team.
He was on "fully"

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -518
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 08:33:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Where in VA you from?
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 11:00:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yea I didn't spell Aaron's name right but to be honest I didn't care.

Yea it's the same tour and I've seen that video but the switch front side flip isn't in there. There is a line that Bobby did that isn't in there and 3 rails that Ben did that I've never seen any of those clips either.

I think you meant to say Shaun Gregoire

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 11:31:57 AM »
I liked that he quit Mystery via Slap rumor mill, then Jamie was on here commenting that he didn't quit and he was still on Mystery, then a day or two later Jamie goes on a delete spree and removes all references to it.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:36:26 AM by Donkey Lips »

EARL***THE***PEARL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -111
  • MR.MADN3SSS LOVES YOU... NT MM
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 11:42:07 AM »

Classic D-Murph he switch flipped this massive 11 stair at UofT in Toronto on some tour footy never surfaced hahahah

RajeevWins

• Rep: 16
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 03:18:06 PM »
Expand Quote
His style is awesome and I always thought it was bullshit Nike never fully put him on the team.
[close]
He was on "fully"

shit you're right. my copy of NBTT freezes in every dvd player so I've only seen it once or twice and totally forgot about that. maybe I just felt like he should've been on sooner or i could be thinking of someone totally different. thanks though

i came up through the "niggas don't skate days"

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 375
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 03:29:21 PM »
A lil pod with Mr. Murphy from last week:

https://soundcloud.com/mostlyskateboarding
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -468
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2016, 08:32:48 AM »
I met him and Abdias Rivera at an NC State party in 2011-2012. I fanned out a bit because I was drunk, and I was surprised how short he is, and how short Abdias is. Later that night my friend sold Dan weed, and I got into my first serious relationship.

Dan is super friendly.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs