Author Topic: grippier alternatives to shoe goo?  (Read 10484 times)

Such

grippier alternatives to shoe goo?
« on: April 10, 2016, 04:16:49 PM »
so if i have an ollie hole its usually fine, but after 2 or more spots shoe goo just makes the flick to slick for me. same with superglue.

HyenaChaser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
Re: grippier alternatives to shoe goo?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 05:22:07 PM »
These things are not mutually exclusive. The way to go is to lay down a solid foundation of shoe goo, then glaze that shit the next day with super glue. I've had shoes come apart everywhere except the repaired ollie hole.

But if that doesn't work for you, plasti-dip is definitely grippier that shoe goo and just as effective. Albeit a somewhat more technical application.

Peep:

http://www.rippedlaces.com/2015/05/diy-give-your-average-skate-shoe-a-rubber-toecap/
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

N.L.

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 05:43:44 PM »
I usually slice little grooves into the shoe goo as its drying.

Such

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 08:22:11 PM »
I usually slice little grooves into the shoe goo as its drying.

will try, thanks

Toydivision

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 08:28:04 PM »

I use these, you can buy 100 for like $3, and they only take 5 minutes to become hard and skateable. I always carry 2 or 3 sticks around, fuck shoe goo honestly, they grip better too.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 08:42:59 PM »
You could try the shoe caulking method: (this is really hard to read)

I've tried it once on some old slashes using a low-level duro/non-toxic caulk (cause I didn't wanna deal with the harmful vapors/out-gassing) called Eco-Bond & it worked pretty well for flick. Downside for the bottom of the sole was that it would it would leave abrasion residue, kind of like how a pencil eraser would (except finer). So I'd have to lightly rub off the shit with my hand, constantly. I bet it'd work way better if anyone tries an actual urethane based caulk. 

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 08:51:06 PM »

I use these, you can buy 100 for like $3, and they only take 5 minutes to become hard and skateable. I always carry 2 or 3 sticks around, fuck shoe goo honestly, they grip better too.
Are those just hot glue sticks? You just melt it with a lighter or something when you're out and about if you always carry a couple? I usually just use regular silicone and cut some grooves in it as well to make it kind of like siping your tires.

Toydivision

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 09:04:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Are those just hot glue sticks? You just melt it with a lighter or something when you're out and about if you always carry a couple? I usually just use regular silicone and cut some grooves in it as well to make it kind of like siping your tires.

Yeah hot glue sticks. If you're out skating you can just use a lighter to melt the glue onto your shoe, it's a lot cleaner than shoegoo too if you know how to use it. I also have a hot glue gun at home, bought it for like $3 too, I sometimes even buy coloured glue sticks that you can match to your shoe colour (green, blue, red, black, white, orange, etc.)

They go dry and hard in under 5 minutes (or instantly if you press something cold against it, I use an ice cube).

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 09:21:45 PM »

This idea is funny to me, which I don't mean disrespectfully, it seems clever. I would like to see a picture of a shoe you glued, if you have one.

Eric ricks

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 09:33:26 PM »
Never took a pic but I did gorila glue the seems/laces on a pair of shoes and holy fuck it works great, at least for ripped seems/laces

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 06:26:47 AM »
Anyone tried Amazing Goop? There are a few different versions, so I don't know if any of them are a different formula than Shoe Goo, but it's the same makers.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 07:19:38 AM »
baboon ass skin, grippiest shit known by man actually

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 08:23:20 AM »
I've been using "liquid tape".

it's thinner, has a slight rubber feel. I think its main use is as sealant for wires or plumbing. it comes with a brush applicator. It wears away a little quicker, but i like it better than shoe goo.

Such

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 02:46:55 PM »

good idea will do that plus the grooves

idk man, ive heard rhino dick is pretty damn grippy too

Anyone tried Amazing Goop? There are a few different versions, so I don't know if any of them are a different formula than Shoe Goo, but it's the same makers.

why havent shoe goo made a skatespecific formula yet? i mean skater have to be their biggest demographic?

You could try the shoe caulking method: (this is really hard to read)

I've tried it once on some old slashes using a low-level duro/non-toxic caulk (cause I didn't wanna deal with the harmful vapors/out-gassing) called Eco-Bond & it worked pretty well for flick. Downside for the bottom of the sole was that it would it would leave abrasion residue, kind of like how a pencil eraser would (except finer). So I'd have to lightly rub off the shit with my hand, constantly. I bet it'd work way better if anyone tries an actual urethane based caulk. 

does that actually grip and does it last more then 3 days? if so i will get on that for sure

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 12:14:48 AM »

^ Haven't tried it in awhile, but it did last a few weeks easy & I didn't even use actual urethane based caulk. Seems way better than messing with shoe goo etc, if u want grip. I remember blasting kickflips really good when I first skated it using new griptape. Didn't mention, this came from: “Made for Skate: The Illustrated History of Skateboard Footwear”.  Was wondering if anyone's tried it. I think I recall in a ripped laces interview with the most recent Fallen footwear designer that this was an idea they wanted to incorporate into their program.  I don't have the actual book, so here's a transcript I tried to copy that explains it better (the photo is too hard to read so some words weren't made out properly):

"I can remember messing around with shoe goo in the hope that it would resurrect my beloved vans that would cost more than a week's socializing to replace. It never worked -- the stuff just peels off. But this stuff is different!

As its is so often the case with these cheesy substances, it was royce who turned me on to it. He'd use it to stick together the upholstery of his latest prototype spacerocket (registered with MOT as a “motor bicycle”). He even built handgrips and shock absorbing washers with it.

It's called sikaflex and its not based on rubber like shoe goo but is instead a urethane in liquid form. It sets in a day to comprise a soft grippy thane of about 50-60a durometer. ( Vans soles are about 60-70a rubber). It should wear quite quick but who cares if you can just squidgy some more on?

If  you're a third lung merchant and used to enjoy a whiff of Evostick just completely forget it with Sikaflex. Its vapour contains isocyanates which are viciously cancer causing. And if you're dumb enough to smoke while inhaling some of these nasty urethane setting agents the heat of your fag is exactly right to synthesize some of the most powerful cancer creators on the planet. You have been warned! 

The joy of it is that it sticks like nothing on earth. You can hardly scrape it off a stainless knife when it's set, let alone get it off of clothes, carpet etc. I still have a bit on my hand and no way I can peel it off. This is bad news for thumbs of  ??  but not bad news for skate shoe rejuvenators.

Get the shoes good and clean, if they're canvas and plastic or rubber you can give them a session in the washing machine. Then they must be fully dry (don't put them in the dryer – they'll melt). Put the stuff on with the nozzle of the tube put so it delivers a thin ??

The gun you have to buy to ?? the industrial sized tubes this comes in are very controllable. Cost ?? or so and should last for dozens of tubes.  I found that you can use thick upholsterer's canvas tape to act as a patch. I put a layer on the outside surface of the shoe around the hole and stuck the tape on and just covered it with sikaflex. You can then put a second layer of tape and just ?? the edges with the ??

Stick ?? bits of  rubber with contact adhesive like evostick first if you like, as sikaflex doesnt grab and hold until its setting, you can then sikaflex over the top. Where you need it very thick put it on in layers, letting it go off for a few hours between them. One major priority is to not create nasty lumps on the inside of the shoe. This is why it's best to put all patches on the outside. It's so sticky that they will not peel off so long as the super goo is all around and over the edges.

Always use it outside in a breeze , or in a very well ventilated place, and don't expect to wash or clean it off anything unless you're very lucky and get it off right away. You can buy rubber surgical gloves quite cheap to protect your hands. If you are worried about getting it absorbed into your skin, or use the polythene-disposable type. Royce reckons you could use it to stick a one piece steel surface on a ramp as it will flex and for shrinkage etc. (See his metal ramp feature next month). You can stick ?? on ?? and even make grabgrip for decks if you key the surface by scratching the varnish just pipe a nose or edge grab onto the surface let it set.

It's always a real drag getting enough life out of the shoes and who can afford 40 quid every three weeks or so? Anyways aren't they always nice and comfy just before they fall apart. So expect to see the best ?? skating around with blobs of this stuff all over them this summer.

Sikaflex cost me about ?? from my local branch of strand glass, my local fiberglass people, and they had it in black, gray and white. It's distributed by: --------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------.
   I don't know if it's sold in the states but its official description is all-purpose poly-urethane sealant. Don't be fooled by bathroom silicone type sealants that come in a smaller form; they don't cut the mustard.

We ?? accept absolutely no responsibility for any mess or disease you or yours-truly get yourself into as a result of mis-using this stuff; you have been adequately warned!"

They make it sound pretty dangerous to be fooling around with harmful volatile chemicals, so I'd make sure to get the necessary safety equipment (gloves, vapor respirator masks...etc) if you consider actually trying it.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 12:30:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This idea is funny to me, which I don't mean disrespectfully, it seems clever. I would like to see a picture of a shoe you glued, if you have one.

this is the go to for repairing fucked shoes in my country. dries quickly and if you use a wet and cold surface (ice cube or even moist finger) you can spread the stuff on the shoe evenly and make it look nice. the ultimate combo is to get some leather from an old pair of shoes and glue that strip of leather with hot gun glue. this is going to be very grippy and will definitely overlast the soles
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Such

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 05:43:27 AM »

^ Haven't tried it in awhile, but it did last a few weeks easy & I didn't even use actual urethane based caulk. Seems way better than messing with shoe goo etc, if u want grip. I remember blasting kickflips really good when I first skated it using new griptape. Didn't mention, this came from: �Made for Skate: The Illustrated History of Skateboard Footwear�.  Was wondering if anyone's tried it. I think I recall in a ripped laces interview with the most recent Fallen footwear designer that this was an idea they wanted to incorporate into their program.  I don't have the actual book, so here's a transcript I tried to copy that explains it better (the photo is too hard to read so some words weren't made out properly):

"I can remember messing around with shoe goo in the hope that it would resurrect my beloved vans that would cost more than a week's socializing to replace. It never worked -- the stuff just peels off. But this stuff is different!

As its is so often the case with these cheesy substances, it was royce who turned me on to it. He'd use it to stick together the upholstery of his latest prototype spacerocket (registered with MOT as a �motor bicycle�). He even built handgrips and shock absorbing washers with it.

It's called sikaflex and its not based on rubber like shoe goo but is instead a urethane in liquid form. It sets in a day to comprise a soft grippy thane of about 50-60a durometer. ( Vans soles are about 60-70a rubber). It should wear quite quick but who cares if you can just squidgy some more on?

If  you're a third lung merchant and used to enjoy a whiff of Evostick just completely forget it with Sikaflex. Its vapour contains isocyanates which are viciously cancer causing. And if you're dumb enough to smoke while inhaling some of these nasty urethane setting agents the heat of your fag is exactly right to synthesize some of the most powerful cancer creators on the planet. You have been warned! 

The joy of it is that it sticks like nothing on earth. You can hardly scrape it off a stainless knife when it's set, let alone get it off of clothes, carpet etc. I still have a bit on my hand and no way I can peel it off. This is bad news for thumbs of  ??  but not bad news for skate shoe rejuvenators.

Get the shoes good and clean, if they're canvas and plastic or rubber you can give them a session in the washing machine. Then they must be fully dry (don't put them in the dryer � they'll melt). Put the stuff on with the nozzle of the tube put so it delivers a thin ??

The gun you have to buy to ?? the industrial sized tubes this comes in are very controllable. Cost ?? or so and should last for dozens of tubes.  I found that you can use thick upholsterer's canvas tape to act as a patch. I put a layer on the outside surface of the shoe around the hole and stuck the tape on and just covered it with sikaflex. You can then put a second layer of tape and just ?? the edges with the ??

Stick ?? bits of  rubber with contact adhesive like evostick first if you like, as sikaflex doesnt grab and hold until its setting, you can then sikaflex over the top. Where you need it very thick put it on in layers, letting it go off for a few hours between them. One major priority is to not create nasty lumps on the inside of the shoe. This is why it's best to put all patches on the outside. It's so sticky that they will not peel off so long as the super goo is all around and over the edges.

Always use it outside in a breeze , or in a very well ventilated place, and don't expect to wash or clean it off anything unless you're very lucky and get it off right away. You can buy rubber surgical gloves quite cheap to protect your hands. If you are worried about getting it absorbed into your skin, or use the polythene-disposable type. Royce reckons you could use it to stick a one piece steel surface on a ramp as it will flex and for shrinkage etc. (See his metal ramp feature next month). You can stick ?? on ?? and even make grabgrip for decks if you key the surface by scratching the varnish just pipe a nose or edge grab onto the surface let it set.

It's always a real drag getting enough life out of the shoes and who can afford 40 quid every three weeks or so? Anyways aren't they always nice and comfy just before they fall apart. So expect to see the best ?? skating around with blobs of this stuff all over them this summer.

Sikaflex cost me about ?? from my local branch of strand glass, my local fiberglass people, and they had it in black, gray and white. It's distributed by: --------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------.
   I don't know if it's sold in the states but its official description is all-purpose poly-urethane sealant. Don't be fooled by bathroom silicone type sealants that come in a smaller form; they don't cut the mustard.

We ?? accept absolutely no responsibility for any mess or disease you or yours-truly get yourself into as a result of mis-using this stuff; you have been adequately warned!"

They make it sound pretty dangerous to be fooling around with harmful volatile chemicals, so I'd make sure to get the necessary safety equipment (gloves, vapor respirator masks...etc) if you consider actually trying it.

thank you so much for actually writing this down. this seems like it could be used to make a diy rubber toe too? also, when fixing the sole you could go all the way and engrave some scribbles for extra traction.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 10:20:50 AM »

Expand Quote

[close]

haha combination of these 2 would literally generate a black hole
these hot glue sticks are interesting, never heard of before

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 11:29:42 AM »
Wouldn't that hot glue be solid hard when it dries? That can't be very grippy, can it?

Sikaflex was an interesting suggestion. I know it's used for a bunch of other things, like in construction and whatever. I remember my dad fixing something on our old car with it way back also. Dunno how it is when it hardens though, but I never imagined it being very rubbery at least.

Would love to see what it looks like if someone has done it. Slightly cheaper than Shoe Goo, but not by much. Much more widely available here in Finland though. I do wonder if a 300 ml can will dry out before I'd be able to use it all though.

Such

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 01:26:11 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
haha combination of these 2 would literally generate a black hole
these hot glue sticks are interesting, never heard of before

okay ive seen everything from snake porn too a camel getting sucked off.

I refuse to believe that there isnt footage of a rhino fucking a baboon, so my only conclusion is that those who have tried have indeed been sucked out of our realm of reality.

on the topic of beastiality:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:33:52 PM by such »

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 04:01:06 PM »
Expand Quote

^ Haven't tried it in awhile, but it did last a few weeks easy & I didn't even use actual urethane based caulk. Seems way better than messing with shoe goo etc, if u want grip. I remember blasting kickflips really good when I first skated it using new griptape. Didn't mention, this came from: �Made for Skate: The Illustrated History of Skateboard Footwear�.  Was wondering if anyone's tried it. I think I recall in a ripped laces interview with the most recent Fallen footwear designer that this was an idea they wanted to incorporate into their program.  I don't have the actual book, so here's a transcript I tried to copy that explains it better (the photo is too hard to read so some words weren't made out properly):

As its is so often the case with these cheesy substances, it was royce who turned me on to it. He'd use it to stick together the upholstery of his latest prototype spacerocket (registered with MOT as a �motor bicycle�). He even built handgrips and shock absorbing washers with it.

Get the shoes good and clean, if they're canvas and plastic or rubber you can give them a session in the washing machine. Then they must be fully dry (don't put them in the dryer � they'll melt). Put the stuff on with the nozzle of the tube put so it delivers a thin ??

[close]

thank you so much for actually writing this down. this seems like it could be used to make a diy rubber toe too? also, when fixing the sole you could go all the way and engrave some scribbles for extra traction.

No problem, amigo. The most interesting part about it was the vans 60-70a durometer range. I used solvent-free ecobond multi purpose for mine:
I couldn't find the "shore A hardness" info on its tech data sheet, but it's strongest one is the "heavy duty" adhesive, which registers at 45a, so the one I used has to be much much lower.

I tried making grooves with mine when I applied it, but it's really hard to do this while maintaining a smoothed out texture. A toe cap would probably work out okay. Compared to what I used, the poly-urethane type (like sikafex) definitely sounds like it'd be like having new shoes again though.

Such

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 05:19:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

No problem, amigo. The most interesting part about it was the vans 60-70a durometer range. I used solvent-free ecobond multi purpose for mine:
I couldn't find the "shore A hardness" info on its tech data sheet, but it's strongest one is the "heavy duty" adhesive, which registers at 45a, so the one I used has to be much much lower.

I tried making grooves with mine when I applied it, but it's really hard to do this while maintaining a smoothed out texture. A toe cap would probably work out okay. Compared to what I used, the poly-urethane type (like sikafex) definitely sounds like it'd be like having new shoes again though.

ive learned alot from this thread, i feel like im qualified to make a shoe scratch now.

but yes the vans sole durometer is really interesting, makes me wonder what the durometer on other shoes are. sorry for all this quoting btw, slap is seriously glitched, cant delete quotes.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 10:08:39 PM »
^ Well, if you end up trying the caulk method, good luck & be safe, man.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 01:10:34 AM »
Wouldn't that hot glue be solid hard when it dries? That can't be very grippy, can it?

Sikaflex was an interesting suggestion. I know it's used for a bunch of other things, like in construction and whatever. I remember my dad fixing something on our old car with it way back also. Dunno how it is when it hardens though, but I never imagined it being very rubbery at least.

Would love to see what it looks like if someone has done it. Slightly cheaper than Shoe Goo, but not by much. Much more widely available here in Finland though. I do wonder if a 300 ml can will dry out before I'd be able to use it all though.

the hot glue is very grippy. it comes in different duros, the medium ones do it for me
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 01:50:01 PM »
your skin

Such