Author Topic: Deck sizing chart  (Read 2594 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
Re: Deck sizing chart
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 09:52:51 AM »
Expand Quote
The trouble with concave is that it will always vary. Factories press multiple boards at a time so if you get a top board and then a bottom board they will be different. Back in the day we had riders that would only ride the middle deck. Some of the riders will look 50 decks just so they can pick out 5 to ride. There's a solution and i'll make sure to pass along the info. Keep the info coming. Open to hear anything.
[close]

Isn't that why Almost/Dwindle do the whole single deck at a time press?

they have that layered press thing, I imagine dwindle probably has that manufacturing process patented

Grind King Rims

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 10:27:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The trouble with concave is that it will always vary. Factories press multiple boards at a time so if you get a top board and then a bottom board they will be different. Back in the day we had riders that would only ride the middle deck. Some of the riders will look 50 decks just so they can pick out 5 to ride. There's a solution and i'll make sure to pass along the info. Keep the info coming. Open to hear anything.
[close]

[close]

they have that layered press thing, I imagine dwindle probably has that manufacturing process patented

http://dwindle.com/dsm/
Think it's around the 4:25 mark

I'd have to agree with more info the better
When buying decks online and the retailer only has the deck width available, it can be infuriating. The deck width, wheelbase and board length should be the bare minimum, concave and tail/nose dimensions should come next.
Thanks again Gunner Down for asking the forum this, it's great to be able to give feedback for some of this stuff.

Gunner Down

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 11:12:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I challenge you to run one of those boards through a heat press...never knew a skateboard could sound like firecrackers

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 11:28:47 AM »

Yeah, I've read that from different people. How about "intended concavity" though obviously the word 'intended' doesn't have to be used. I assume the middle deck of one set that's intended to be steep is going to be steeper than the middle deck of a set intended to be mellow.

zippy z

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2016, 04:58:29 AM »
I would love to see PS Stix have detailed layouts of all their shapes, concaves, and how they actually get the measurements. Like others have said, I want to know where  they measure a board width and if they measure across the top or through the concave.

For Element there's the issue where the pros ride PS Stix but Element sells doo doo wood to the public.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do you guys want boards to have a shape number associated with it or just having the dimensions of the board good enough?

"Can i get a 7.75 with a 14.25 wheel base?"

or

"Can i get a shape #7 Element board?"

[close]
No one is going to say that. Also, you should stick with width, length and wheelbase. The majority of people who ride Element and Plan B are probably kids who don't really care. A couple years ago, I almost got a Ray Barbee board, that had a graphic of a robot dog or some shit on it, from the clearance for $25. Then, I realized it was Element so I ended up getting a some Polar board that was flat as fuck with one of the best noses ever...worth paying twice as much for a deck to support a better company.
[close]

What's wrong with Element? A lot of the people on those other companies have asked to ride for Element. If you don't know, you don't know.
[close]

I think they fell from grace when Howell left and there was the feeling of selling out when the brand felt more lifestyle than skate. Also, I think there is a bad rap with wood quality? I've never skated one, not even sure where/who makes them. Team-wise, if you can call it that, is a hodge-podge of great skaters.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:02:10 AM by redux »

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2016, 05:57:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do you guys want boards to have a shape number associated with it or just having the dimensions of the board good enough?

"Can i get a 7.75 with a 14.25 wheel base?"

or

"Can i get a shape #7 Element board?"

[close]
No one is going to say that. Also, you should stick with width, length and wheelbase. The majority of people who ride Element and Plan B are probably kids who don't really care. A couple years ago, I almost got a Ray Barbee board, that had a graphic of a robot dog or some shit on it, from the clearance for $25. Then, I realized it was Element so I ended up getting a some Polar board that was flat as fuck with one of the best noses ever...worth paying twice as much for a deck to support a better company.
[close]

What's wrong with Element? A lot of the people on those other companies have asked to ride for Element. If you don't know, you don't know.
[close]

I think they fell from grace when Howell left and there was the feeling of selling out when the brad felt more lifestyle than skate. Also, I think there is a bad rap with wood quality? I've never skated one, not even sure where/who makes them. Team-wise, if you can call it that, is a hodge-podge of great skaters.
[close]

Boards have always been made at PS Stix. We've ventured to BEARback for other options but for the most part every brand uses 1 of these two wood shops.

then ps stix must also have a plant operating in china. maybe this has changed now but last time (circa 2010) i got an element board, the shop carried several items of this brand and some of them had a sticker that said they were made in china and other (element) boards would have heat printed "made in the usa". i always buy a few decks per visit and compared the chinese ones to the us made. HUGE DIFFERENCE between the decks and i never got an element board again. i suppose, if you are going to produce china quality boards then sell those ones at zumiez and sell the decent ones to legit skate shops so that proper skaters can skate proper decks and goth/trap(nowadays) kids can skate garbage
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:59:36 AM by Esquivel »
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice