Author Topic: Work Strikes  (Read 978 times)

EXTRA SPICY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Work Strikes
« on: September 26, 2023, 10:23:13 PM »
The union I’m a part of may be soon holding the line and signs.

https://amp.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/the-state-worker/article279536259.html

Anyone been part of a strike?

Highlights? Lowlights? Successfully dodged paying rent? Tips on sidewalk grilling and chilling?
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
Re: Work Strikes
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 10:40:58 PM »
My strike just ended.  Low light was not working.   Then having to work again hah.  But I think we got a good outcome

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 11:48:41 PM »
Never had a union job. Cooking and bartending, that's not something we have. However I'll never cross a  picket line.  Solidarity is forever. Not just sometimes.

http://youtu.be/Ly5ZKjjxMNM?si=-8ZBvrh7C_74Jqa3
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 12:47:27 AM »
Good luck.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 04:33:52 AM »
@Freelancevagrant knows this shit well
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1592
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 04:31:10 PM »
95% of us in the California Faculty Association voted in the affirmative to support a strike.

The California State University System, comprised of 23 campuses, is at the precipice of strikes. Tomorrow, across 22 campuses, the Teamsters will have a one-day unfair labor practice strike. "Together, we are demanding fair pay, manageable workloads that allow for more support and engagement with students, a fair salary step program for skilled trades workers, more counselors to improve students' much-needed access to mental health counseling, and expanded paid parental leave." 

There are guaranteed one-day strikes at the beginning of December.

The wildest thing is that HR sent out notifications today that we cannot discuss the strike during instructional times, hahaha! Can you believe that shit?! FTS!!!

Here is more information if you are interested https://www.calfac.org/re-opener-bargaining-reaches-impasse-members-focus-on-next-steps/

Ain't no way in hell I'm crossing the picket line tomorrow or ever. We can't legally start a full on strike until December and by good God almighty, I hope we do.

Is it really such an unreasonable request to NOT fuck over workers for decades and decades and decades?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 04:39:38 PM »
Here’s a Kinks song for your picketing…

https://youtu.be/X_dLI8jhjNE?si=MJDTyS3_HfhBBY-5

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2023, 09:27:38 PM »
All the time but they’re not like sustained strikes. We just walk off the job for the day most of the time. Doing it tomorrow actually
listen to cosmic psychos

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2023, 09:45:36 PM »
Yea. I work in county government, comes up EVERY TIME our contracts are up. It sucks going without the pay but it is what it is. Also ridiculous you can’t use pto to strike. It’s my time I should be able to do whatever I want with it. I’m not into the rah rah part of it, so I usually just stay home and let the old folks in my department who love it handle it.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1099
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2023, 11:24:44 PM »
I deal very heavily with guilds and unions, so glad to see the studios and the creatives in the entertainment industry come to terms that are agreeable to both sides. I think the power ultimately lays on the side of the workers so they will always win in the long run. The system needs them more than they need the system and so forth. But this strike period was really rough to see so many of my friends -- especially those not involved in the negotiations but still relying on production work -- unable to make ends meet for so long. These corporations and governments would have all of us working like animals if they could. So fight the good fight. Power to the people.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 11:45:47 PM by EdLawndale »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2024, 05:38:15 PM »
Hey there everyone, we are about to go on strike and I am helping out on a sub committee for media outreach.

Have any of you used any apps that allow you to post across social media at the same time? Were there ones that you liked? Which ones sucked?

THANKS!!!

Never forget:

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2024, 04:44:25 PM »
It looks like at this point I am only responsible for doing social media posts on instagram.

Does anyone have any recommendations for sites/software/apps that are useful for creating graphics for instagram posts? It is for the purpose of sharing information moreso than creating memes and whatnot.

@grimcity you're a very technologically saavy person. Do you have experience with such software or know what software to avoid?

Thanks!

Never forget:

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 07:44:53 PM »
Outside of Adobe software which costs money is requires some knowledge to operate, I think Canva is pretty easy to use and fairly templated which would be good. Not sure the costs but I’d check that one out.

Good luck, hope ya get the outcome you want. I don’t work in an industry that will ever be unionized, but I’m all for them.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2024, 08:22:25 PM »
Outside of Adobe software which costs money is requires some knowledge to operate, I think Canva is pretty easy to use and fairly templated which would be good. Not sure the costs but I’d check that one out.

Good luck, hope ya get the outcome you want. I don’t work in an industry that will ever be unionized, but I’m all for them.

+1
I genuinely appreciate your insight. Thanks!

Never forget:

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2024, 02:43:27 AM »

This is great

Never forget:

Skibb

• Rep: 68
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2024, 04:02:38 AM »
It looks like at this point I am only responsible for doing social media posts on instagram.

Does anyone have any recommendations for sites/software/apps that are useful for creating graphics for instagram posts? It is for the purpose of sharing information moreso than creating memes and whatnot.

@grimcity you're a very technologically saavy person. Do you have experience with such software or know what software to avoid?

Thanks!

If you’re kinda knowledgable in Photoshop: Photopea!

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2024, 07:14:47 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks!
[close]

If you’re kinda knowledgable in Photoshop: Photopea!

Thank you! Other free ones I found were not aesthetically pleasing.

Never forget:

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2024, 08:28:51 PM »
Might go on strike soon. It’s not yet to a vote, but union is having us fill out a survey. Oi.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2024, 10:22:51 PM »
Impressed that all the CSU faculty said "Fuck you" to a 5% raise and are going on strike because it isn't even close to enough considering inflation and the fact profs are underpaid to begin with.

Unbelievable over in NY the profs there took a 2-3% raise and celebrated like it was a good deal. Jesus UUP has to be the biggest bunch of wimps on the planet.

"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2024, 11:33:15 PM »
Impressed that all the CSU faculty said "Fuck you" to a 5% raise and are going on strike because it isn't even close to enough considering inflation and the fact profs are underpaid to begin with.

Unbelievable over in NY the profs there took a 2-3% raise and celebrated like it was a good deal. Jesus UUP has to be the biggest bunch of wimps on the planet.

Thank you for bringing this up! Want some more specifics? It isn't just about pay...

8)

https://www.instagram.com/cfa.fullerton/
https://www.instagram.com/cfa_united/

Here is a start. Not only is their best offer, for 29,000 of the people with the highest level of education in the state an offer of a PAYCUT, CSU managment didn't even discuss the other items that faculty were bargaining for.

Raising the floor for the lowest paid faculty
Increased parental leave
Increased funding for mental health services for students
Fighting against a 30%+ increase in tuition for students
Inclusive bathrooms
Lactation stations/storage
Protections for faculty when they have to deal with police

During the last "bargaining session" CSU management walked out in less than 25 minutes. Check out the Instagram accounts to see what types of raises in salary CSU management made for themselves hahahahahah

Fuck all that. See you on the line.

Shoutout @Freelancevagrant for your advice
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 11:47:22 PM by pugmaster »

Never forget:

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2024, 11:20:03 AM »
I also may go on strike soon. I personally hope it doesn’t happen, but i’m here for it if that’s what we end up doing. I’m only gonna be at this job till July so I don’t have much of a stake, but for people whose career this is I totally get it and want to support them.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2024, 07:04:01 PM »

Thanks!

@pugmaster - I'm terribly sorry about my lag, but for some quick bold designs (especially if what's required is text-rich), I recommend Canva (free):
https://www.canva.com/free/

...it's very straight forward and really hard to make a bad graphic with.

If you've ever been interested in something more advanced like Photoshop but don't want to get raked by the fees, check out The Gimp:
https://www.gimp.org/

It has most of the pre Adobe-AI abilities, and is way more than enough to take care of social, but it's very manual! Canva kinda guides you into making good designs, whereas Gimp  will make any design you need, but it's kinda all by hand!

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2024, 11:10:57 AM »
@pugmaster what do you think of the tentative CFA and deal?

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2024, 12:06:30 PM »
@pugmaster what do you think of the tentative CFA and deal?

A lot of people are really pissed off. Myself included. I am a part of discussions that I can't really get into right now. I'll talk more after we have a town hall with members next week.

Getting a message at 10 pm on the first day of the strike saying that a TA had been reached and then seeing the summary of what the TA was had me pacing out rage and cursing for longer than I would like to admit. I have yet to read the plain text of the TA because the people that I know who have read it are really let down.

I am looking forward to seeing how students feel next week.

I'll just say this, I would be surprised if the TA passes. If it does, I expect the CFA membership to drop or at the very least lose a LOT of faith in the leadership. 

Never forget:

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2024, 03:58:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thank you for bringing this up! Want some more specifics? It isn't just about pay...

8)

Here is a start. Not only is their best offer, for 29,000 of the people with the highest level of education in the state an offer of a PAYCUT, CSU managment didn't even discuss the other items that faculty were bargaining for.

Increased parental leave
Inclusive bathrooms

During the last "bargaining session" CSU management walked out in less than 25 minutes. Check out the Instagram accounts to see what types of raises in salary CSU management made for themselves hahahahahah

Up at “Cal Poly” Humboldt, the newest “executive” or president, brings in $400k and a 50k per year housing allowance. This is in one of the poorest counties in CA. This is the guy who axed the radio station, football team, and sold the school owned dining services to a company he worked with in another state. 50k housing allowance is a fucking down payment. Its gross
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2024, 04:11:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

8)

Increased parental leave
Inclusive bathrooms

[close]

Up at “Cal Poly” Humboldt, the newest “executive” or president, brings in $400k and a 50k per year housing allowance. This is in one of the poorest counties in CA. This is the guy who axed the radio station, football team, and sold the school owned dining services to a company he worked with in another state. 50k housing allowance is a fucking down payment. Its gross

Seeing how Universities work from the inside is like seeing how the sausage is made. It is at the very least completely appalling. If I didn't already resign some months back, I would definitely be looking for the exit right now.

Never forget:

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2024, 06:00:30 PM »
I’m backing @EXTRA SPICY & his crew in this fight.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?