Author Topic: Is Skateboarding "too' expensive?  (Read 13050 times)

homegrown83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -83
Re: Is Skateboarding "too' expensive?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2016, 06:07:45 AM »
I did a study abroad in New Zealand and decks were running anywhere from $120-$170. Shoes were similar, running from $70-$150. I was lucky to find a pair of Emericas for $70 when my Vans gave out over there. As far as boards go, I stayed with the same deck the entire time.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2016, 06:39:37 AM »
In Canada you can get

Shop deck - 40$ 2 weeks - 2 months of use
Raw trucks - 50-60$ and they will last at least 6 months
Shop wheels - 25$ Another 6 months at least
Spitfire cheap shot bearings- 10$ 1 year
Free grip 'n bolts

...135$ For a full setup with good quality parts.

Then you go to Winners (Canadian ross) and get sole tech shoes for 40$.

That's pretty cheap imo.

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2016, 07:18:11 AM »
Skateboad parts are made with the cheapest shit available since the dawn of time.  You can be a skateboarder, have no problem spending 2 grand on a bike or a guitar - thats fine.  But spending a 5 or 6 hundred on a skateboard is never going to happen unfortunatly cause skaters like to laugh at this concept.  I've skated my whole life and would happilly spend the money for  better shit.  I did find a company that does custom decks (custom concave and kick as well) called  "Factory 13"  _check out they're board gallery, its sick made with care.

Here ya go http://www.amazon.com/Benchwheel-Dual-1800w-Electric-Skateboard/dp/B01AXGX8MC/ref=sr_1_cc_5?s=aps&srs=12034488011&ie=UTF8&qid=1459260388&sr=1-5-catcorr&keywords=electric+longboard

Skateboards are already so high quality.
Wheels last forever
Bearings last forever
Trucks last forever
Decks you have to replace like once every month.

And I don't want decks to last much longer. Feels like too much of a commitment to pay like $250 for a board that will last a year or something. What if I want to size up/down, try a different wheelbase or something

Eric ricks

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2016, 07:25:24 AM »
In Canada you can get

Shop deck - 40$ 2 weeks - 2 months of use
Raw trucks - 50-60$ and they will last at least 6 months
Shop wheels - 25$ Another 6 months at least
Spitfire cheap shot bearings- 10$ 1 year
Free grip 'n bolts

...135$ For a full setup with good quality parts.

Then you go to Winners (Canadian ross) and get sole tech shoes for 40$.

That's pretty cheap imo.

Yeah thats not too bad. Im in a remote area though so add the shipping (which is ludacris)

Farty McBoner

• Rep: 2
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2016, 07:43:13 AM »
Skateboarding isnt expensive but it also isnt cheap. If you follow sales and budget youre money accordingly its fine. Yes there have been ties in my life where I have gone to my shop to rummage through the used board stack or go used shoe shopping in thrift stores but compared to other sports skating isnt that bad.
For example, my girlfriend does volley ball. I always thought volley ball, basket ball, and soccer were the cheapest sports. With volley ball she has to pay a membership to a gym to play as well as pay league fees, both of these are done annually but if you break it down theyre about 100$ a month give or take. Next comes these special required court shoes for playing volley ball that are like 110$ and if the sole of them wears down too much then you cant step on the court or risk injury, basically they need to be in a certain condition in order for her to play. Id estimate that she goes through 1 pair of shoes every 3 months so thats like another 35$ a month. All that added up comes to about 135$ a month.

For me with skating I only go through boards about once a month maybe every month and a half depending on how much skating I get to do. I would guess that I go through shoes every month also. Assuming im paying full price for shoes (75$) and a 50$ board I'm only spending 125$ a month

But this is different for everyone. I dont skate big gaps or any serious impact stuff too often so i can generally make my shit last longer than some of my friends who go through a board a week 

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 08:28:27 AM »
Are you all referencing your prices in The Canadian dollar or the U.S. dollar? If it's $80 CAD for a deck that's not far of from the price here in America. Ive always been confused by that.

Skateboarding isnt cheap but it's far from being overly expensive. For example last time I bought a snowboard bindings and boots it was $850 and then I need my pass for the year. I played lacrosse growing up and that like hockey is super expensive to get quality gear.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Farty McBoner

• Rep: 2
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 08:29:53 AM »
Im going by the American dollar

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2016, 09:00:43 AM »
^"Here ya go" -fuck you very much man.     Your saying I should longboard if I think that skate parts are shitty?  -That is a reductive and dickheaded comment.  They could be more like guitars or surfboards - It would be nice if there was a market for skateboards that were made with care that is all I'm saying.  Not cast metal for starters.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 09:05:05 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

midevilco

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2016, 09:02:39 AM »
It may feel expensive when you are 16-17 years old, don't have a job, and are breaking boards frequently, but hour for hour, dollar for dollar, skating is not expensive.

Eric ricks

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2016, 09:12:36 AM »
Are you all referencing your prices in The Canadian dollar or the U.S. dollar? If it's $80 CAD for a deck that's not far of from the price here in America. Ive always been confused by that.

Skateboarding isnt cheap but it's far from being overly expensive. For example last time I bought a snowboard bindings and boots it was $850 and then I need my pass for the year. I played lacrosse growing up and that like hockey is super expensive to get quality gear.

I hear ya on the snowboarding. Still not expensive as golf though hahaha.

Just my memberships cost 4 grand a year. Each outing is another $120 or so. Good clubs well over a grand.  Fuck even 12 golf balls costs $30.

Its fun as fuck though.

Not as fun as skateboarding however

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3326
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2016, 09:13:43 AM »
Hottest new Plan B deck: $54.99

Swaggy shoes from either Diamond or Supra: ~$100

Chewing gum for that "I don't give a fukkk" look: $2

Your fave FA flow kid shouting "yeah" and acknowledging your existence after you flip in/flip out at black hubba: Priceless

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2016, 09:14:08 AM »
If you factor in all of the woman you get from being a skateboarder it can get pretty pricey

ADOLF SHITLER

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2016, 09:14:23 AM »
Theres only one america tracer and it for damn sure aint u maple suckers. It really depends on how/what u skate i know dudes who only skate tranny and rip but their shit lasts them forever

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2016, 09:36:13 AM »
Skateboarding isn't expensive once you actually learn how to skate
Its not the complete story but when I started skating I got it a few pieces at a time until I worked my way up to needing specific boards or newer equipment
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 09:38:42 AM by lk130 »
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2016, 10:19:07 AM »
I can make the trucks, wheels, and bearings last forever but once my board gets tons of chips all over it I don't feel like skating it anymore. If I really want to save money there's a local shop that sells Deluxe blanks for $35. Skateboarding is kinda expensive but now hardgoods are better quality than they used to be. That is, if you buy from the better companies anyway...

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 10:21:01 AM by Main »

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2016, 10:50:53 AM »
It's not "too" expensive. It's expensive enough though. People choose to skate. Just like people choose to be photographers, cyclists, motorcycle riders, or whatever else. Every hobby is expensive. I wish hobbies weren't so damn expensive so I could do more shit.

Knitting seems pretty cheap.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »
Theres only one america tracer and it for damn sure aint u maple suckers. It really depends on how/what u skate i know dudes who only skate tranny and rip but their shit lasts them forever
You dumb fuck it's called North America

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2016, 12:52:07 PM »
Decks have been 50 dollars for as long as I can remember, despite inflation. Seems pretty cheap to me.

Yep, and shoes are actually cheaper now than they were in the late 90s early 2000s�except Huf.

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2016, 12:55:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Decks have been 50 dollars for as long as I can remember, despite inflation. Seems pretty cheap to me.
[close]

Yep, and shoes are actually cheaper now than they were in the late 90s early 2000s�except Huf.
Shoes now don't have airbags and actual protection to justify the high cost

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2016, 01:26:38 PM »
scoop a board offline every month or two for $30 or buy a shop board for the same

clearance shoes easily for $25

trucks once a year for $50 if you're an idiot

wheels and bearings twice a year for $40 each time

skating is easy do a kickflip
good come sausage

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2016, 03:18:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Stope trying to make Canada happen. youre like the 1st worlds joke nation.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Tracer

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2016, 03:37:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I could show you around and guarantee a good time. Its nice to be important but it's more important to be nice

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2016, 04:17:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I could show you around and guarantee a good time. Its nice to be important but it's more important to be nice

I give you a lot of shit , but  I respect the hell out of that response. Momma taught me to kill em' with kindness.

Vibes of skating rocks

• Rep: -22
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »
Everything ins skateboarding costs the same as it did in the 90s (outside of $150 Nikes). Compared to other activities, its relativity cheap.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2016, 04:48:35 PM »
Everything ins skateboarding costs the same as it did in the 90s (outside of $150 Nikes). Compared to other activities, its relativity cheap.

Pro boards have a higher mark up than no pro boards by the same company now. Team boards are 45-50 and pro boards are 55-60 now. At least at shops like active.

poowizard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2016, 05:09:13 PM »
It seems like "most" parents are not willing to pay for skateboarding consistently, but would gladly shell out tons of cash for other sports like hockey or soccer. it was definitely that way for me. My parents hated buying me boards and shoes. It pushed me to earn my own dough to pay for my own shit. And that his how I have become the responsible skateboarding adult that I am today.

It's not expensive if it makes you a man.

Fecal Fury

• Rep: 60
  • 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2016, 05:15:34 PM »
I did a study abroad in New Zealand and decks were running anywhere from $120-$170. Shoes were similar, running from $70-$150. I was lucky to find a pair of Emericas for $70 when my Vans gave out over there. As far as boards go, I stayed with the same deck the entire time.

Yup, we get dicked down here big time.

Decks go from $89 pricepoints to $119 standard pro models and up.
Trucks $110 - $140
Wheels $65 - $90
Bolts $10
Grip $10 plain or $20 prints
Bearings $40 Bones Reds

Shoes $120 - $200

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2016, 06:18:36 PM »
It's actually CHEAPER than it used to be about two decades ago. I used to work in a skateshop as a grom and most completes would run around $150 w/tax.

Decks have been $45-$55 with the $49.99 price point being the staple. For DECADES.

The cost of trucks (no hollowtitaniumforgedmagics) is still under $20 per truck.

Wheels can be had for $25 if you don't opt in for stfmagicf4s

Skatewareshouse:

$49.99 deck
$40 indy standards
$24.99 spit classics
$9.99 ML Bearings
$1.99 ML bolts
$3.99 Mob M-80

Total Before Discount: $130.93 Your Price: $100.00 + $5 overnight shipping

You can drop down to Krux, a sale deck and get some sale Autobahn wheels and out the door your under $70, with half that gear being good enough for anyone on this forum.

It's the shoes where they gangassrape you.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2016, 06:29:31 PM »
It's actually CHEAPER than it used to be about two decades ago. I used to work in a skateshop as a grom and most completes would run around $150 w/tax.

Decks have been $45-$55 with the $49.99 price point being the staple. For DECADES.

The cost of trucks (no hollowtitaniumforgedmagics) is still under $20 per truck.

Wheels can be had for $25 if you don't opt in for stfmagicf4s

Skatewareshouse:

$49.99 deck
$40 indy standards
$24.99 spit classics
$9.99 ML Bearings
$1.99 ML bolts
$3.99 Mob M-80

Total Before Discount: $130.93 Your Price: $100.00 + $5 overnight shipping

You can drop down to Krux, a sale deck and get some sale Autobahn wheels and out the door your under $70, with half that gear being good enough for anyone on this forum.

It's the shoes where they gangassrape you.
if your a size 8-12 then you can find sale shoes pretty easily, i would know because i'm a 13 and i run through every other size 3 times before i find my size, so that can vary from $6-$65 depending on what shoes, and i say $6 because my friend copped some etnies lo cuts for $5.99 on clearance.

Vibes of skating rocks

• Rep: -22
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2016, 11:44:44 PM »
If it's too expensive for you here's some suggestions:

1. Quit. Don't need whiny fucks like you in it anyway.
2. Get a fucking job. You live with mommy and daddy. You ain't got any other bills to pay. Suck it up.
3. Tell your parents to get a second job. Bout time they quit milking their dead end job and got their asses to work.