Author Topic: ever wonder what $312,001 would buy?  (Read 3461 times)

buggle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
ever wonder what $312,001 would buy?
« on: February 01, 2007, 07:09:50 AM »
A few  years worth of pages in Transworld?
A couple hundred thousand DVD's?
A world tour of pros (with the bar tab covered)?

Or perhaps it might just get you something else entirely...

KEY MANAGEMENT PERSONNEL AND OTHER EXECUTIVES OF THE CONSOLIDATED ENTITY - 2006

Mark McKee (2)
Graphic Designer
312,001 - - - - 312,001

Check out
http://www.globecorporate.com/files/annualreports/glb-annual-report-2006.pdf

loophole

Re: ever wonder what $312,001 would buy?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 07:16:56 AM »
you do the graphic design for globe... so what does that entail? just that text on those ads?

89-90pistons

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 07:25:43 AM »
I hate globe.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 08:37:41 AM »

Mark McKee (2)
Graphic Designer

jesus...

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 09:03:41 AM »
In looking at the report, that guy is an "executive".  Which probably means that he is over the graphic designers for Globe world wide.  I could be wrong though and I only say that because the North American President came in at $442,000, after incentives.

That's a pretty substantial salary, regardless.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 09:07:13 AM »
It's Mark McKee... I mean, his work brought World back from the dead (for better or for worse). As regular as the whole "Devil Man" thing was, it saved World from dying. He has cred.

suckafoo

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 09:15:17 AM »
Don't forget that this is an Australian based company...you need to factor in the exchange rate.

Don't get me wrong...it's still a lot of money.
Well I believe in the devil....and nothing scares me more than Keyser Soze.

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 09:17:33 AM »
Don't forget that this is an Australian based company...you need to factor in the exchange rate.

Don't get me wrong...it's still a lot of money.

I thought about that but figured since he's a US based exec, I figured that'd have his salary in US dollars.  Regardless, it's about $241,000 US, even if it is posted in AUS.

mungojerry

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 09:24:28 AM »
Maybe a key to the Autumn bowl?

K.Dizzle

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 10:14:43 AM »
Mark does alot of the graphic work for many of the dwindle brands also, like all the blind drawings and more... he has been around for a long time and in any other industry this salary wouldnt even be scoffed at... now if dwindle could only learn to pay their riders that kind of money you would have a legit operation on your hands

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 10:24:05 AM »
now if dwindle could only learn to pay their riders that kind of money you would have a legit operation on your hands

Yeah, Dwindle's too busy insulting the kids that are supposed to be supporting their brand.

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 10:29:37 AM »
skateboarding is officially going to be ours again, im glad the industry is falling apart, its getting so bad half of them are on the slap boards trying to win their case.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 10:31:54 AM »
can't really justify that salary no matter how nice he is at art.

leeroy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 10:44:08 AM »
and how many other ppl get that kinda salaries?

and then companies whine about low board sales and that they would have to kick their pros out...

spend your shit more carefully and shut the fuck up.

"The Night Of The Vampire"

tag_king

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 10:45:02 AM »
pretty stoked on getting work in graphic design after Im done school... those fucking globe ads take jack shit, a high res photo and CHANGE

scott

• Rep: 21
  • woo hah!!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 10:54:43 AM »
i guarantee you that is not a salary for an average graphic designer.  that is on the level of art/brand direction for an umbrella of brands, which is what he does.  besides, mark mckee is a prolific artist, no matter what you may think of all the flameboy shit.  he's done some of my favorite oldschool world/blind/101/plan b graphics and i would bet that he has a percentage/royalty agreement with dwindle.  it probably happened when dwindle was sold to globe, i'm sure he already owned a percentage of dwindle after rocco bounced.  as a graphic designer myself, i'm stoked for him. 

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 11:01:51 AM »
That's from an art guy perspective. I think the arguement of the week here is blanks vs pro decks. I think the point of them pointing this out is to show where cuts can be made in case the blank thing forces  board companies to cut. The ax is ALWAYS hovering over the heads of the MOST IMPORTANT employees of the company, THE PROS. An art guy is pretty important if he does all the companies in the loop but that's a lot of money and could save a few deserving pros their job. Dang, if they would have told me $150,000 that would still be alot. I'm sure the other $150,000 could save alot of jobs.

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 11:15:53 AM »
^^^^ In the corporate world of which Globe is a part of and for someone with that type of responsibility over the art direction of those brands, that salary isn't really exorbitant.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 11:18:55 AM »
dang, didn't I make the wrong choice in careers?

scott

• Rep: 21
  • woo hah!!
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 11:24:32 AM »
That's from an art guy perspective. I think the arguement of the week here is blanks vs pro decks. I think the point of them pointing this out is to show where cuts can be made in case the blank thing forces board companies to cut. The ax is ALWAYS hovering over the heads of the MOST IMPORTANT employees of the company, THE PROS. An art guy is pretty important if he does all the companies in the loop but that's a lot of money and could save a few deserving pros their job. Dang, if they would have told me $150,000 that would still be alot. I'm sure the other $150,000 could save alot of jobs.

no, word to that. i almost put a disclaimer on it that this is excluding the current "dwindle vs. blank boards vs. skaters" beef.  I agree it is a lot of money that could theoretically be used on pros, however, businesses are run by contracts.  If Marc McKee has a contract for that salary, then regardless of what pros are earning, that's what he gets. Maybe that's wrong, but that's the way it is, and if he got himself in that position, then more power to him.  If, as a professional skater, you are in negiotations for a salary, then it is always your option to say "no" if you feel it is too small of a salary.  Pro skater's salaries are determined by many factors, i would imagine, i.e. what other companies pay, what the skater's "marketability" is, etc.  Pro skater's salaries have always been low, i feel.  Even during the bones brigade heyday, Tony Hawk wasn't making shit compared to what he's making now.  The main reason? Popular appeal.  Skating is bigger than ever, but when it comes down to it, how many millions of people watch football or basketball?  Do 40-50 year olds care how many stairs paul rod. just switch tre'd, and bet on it in skating betting pools at work?  Skating has always been a blip on the radar, and i've always preferred it that way myself.  However, not at the expense of the people who push/progress the activity i love, they should have a livable wage, health insurance, etc.  It's hard to quantify professional skateboarding the same way it is with other sports, like how many yards did he rush doesn't equal how many stairs can he ollie...

and aren't you becoming the art guy now?? hehehe...

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 11:39:23 AM »
yeah but have put the books down for the moment for school. I was learning a great deal until I got caught up in school. I'll be back in June and may go for an associates in media art, or just read up. I always thought that skaters got taken advantage of cause if it's something you'll do without pay, you'll get exploited. Every company I've ever rode for never offered insurance??? I'd make it a point to ask the secretaries at these companies if they were insured and of course they were. So, when I hear about these companies paying
half for joe shmoes surgery I'm thinking that they should pay for all of it. In court all you'd have to do is show them a couple vids of dudes flying down stairs and you'll have your "work related" bill paid for in a snap. It sucks it would have to come to that but this is one of many reasons why they need to form a skaters union.

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 11:43:28 AM »
In court all you'd have to do is show them a couple vids of dudes flying down stairs and you'll have your "work related" bill paid for in a snap.

Then I guess it would all boil down to the Contract that said rider signed.  I'd be really interested to read one of those one of these days.

TotallyAwesome

• Rep: -6
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 02:46:29 PM »
Expand Quote
In court all you'd have to do is show them a couple vids of dudes flying down stairs and you'll have your "work related" bill paid for in a snap.
[close]

Then I guess it would all boil down to the Contract that said rider signed.  I'd be really interested to read one of those one of these days.

the last contract that i wrote for a pro skateboarder had this in it:

"This contract and its contents are to be kept confidential from any third parties."

so yeah, i don't think you'll be seeing too many contracts posted...unless sanch has got one hanging around from lucky or blind or something that he wants to share.

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
^^^^ HA!  Well, guess I won't be seeing one anytime soon.

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 05:13:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

the last contract that i wrote for a pro skateboarder had this in it:

"This contract and its contents are to be kept confidential from any third parties."

so yeah, i don't think you'll be seeing too many contracts posted...unless sanch has got one hanging around from lucky or blind or something that he wants to share.

if i had a scanner i would post my globe contracts, i still have them.

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 05:16:48 PM »
Ah, no need... just curious though, was there a clause in it that had "not being able to work because of injury" shit in it?

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 05:20:05 PM »
nope!

i also  got in trouble for wearing clarks on a train in europe. wich made no sense since clarks are not a brand competitor. i guess i should of wore my sweaty skate shoes around when not skating.

Orpheus

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 05:38:31 PM »
trying to get me to open a pdf.? who the hell do you think you are?

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 05:39:44 PM »
DAMN, thats a lotta money
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

sergio

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2007, 05:42:58 PM »
trying to get me to open a pdf.? who the hell do you think you are?

what is the problem with pdf?