Author Topic: A statement from an IASC member  (Read 5326 times)

JimGray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
A statement from an IASC member
« on: February 01, 2007, 03:03:56 PM »
First off, I am responding to this as Jim Gray, a skater first and foremost, and owner of Abc Board Supply, a skateboard manufacturer, not as Jim Gray who is on the board of directors of IASC, or in any way on behalf of IASC.  I am but one of what was 7 on the IASC board of directors, and now there are 11 that have just been voted on.

As with any organization and with anything that involves many different people, there will be many different opinions, and I do not hide the fact that my opinions do not always mesh perfectly with the rest of the board of IASC or the rest of the industry for that matter. Having different opinions helps keep things in balance and hopefully the opinions all of the skaters that are showing up here on the Slap boards will influence things for the better in the future and will get the industry to listen to what’s being said and clean up some of it’s dirty laundry.

First thing, because IASC as is taking a lot of the hits about this issue and I do believe in what IASC is supposed to stand for, I want to point out some of the other good things that IASC is doing before I touch upon the whole blank issue or respond directly with my opinion on your opening statement in this thread.

IASC as an organization is working on a lot of awesome things that will give back to skateboarding. Our Public Skatepark Development Guide that was just finished in conjunction with Skaters for Public Skateparks and the Tony Hawk Foundation will give advocates all over the world necessary tools to fight to get public skateparks built. I am very proud that we have gotten this finished and over time it will help many, many skaters get lots of great places to skate. We have also worked on lobbying the government to eliminate pad laws and stop harassing skaters unfairly at skateparks and are going to step up our efforts in 2007. The annual Go Skateboarding Day event created and promoted by IASC has helped skaters bond throughout the world and be a stronger force because of it. This stuff is good for skaters and is all spearheaded by IASC members.

In direct response to the thread to IASC board companies, I’d just have to say that I am stoked to see skaters starting to say the truths in public that have only been whispered for many years. Yes, most independent skate shops don’t make shit and yes there are many pro’s that shouldn’t be pro, don’t do demo’s, don’t compete, and haven’t done shit for years. I am still wondering why anybody bought shit with their name on it in the first place, because many never even proved that they can hold their own against other pro’s except in their video part, and that doesn’t prove much to me. Videos are great entertainment but I like to see who is really the best, not just who appears to be the best. That’s part of why it continues. If nobody bought stuff from guys who didn’t earn it, then the industry would have had to clean up years ago. That’s no excuse for the problems, but it definitely does contribute, and all skaters are going to have to decide if they want to be part of a change or sit back and buy into a dysfunctional promotional system for years to come.

The bottom line is it will only change if skaters are vocal about it and call bullshit on bullshit. I started my company 16 years ago and at the time I knew it was ridiculous to have 200+ pro’s with their own models when it’s just not possible for 200 guys to be so influential to have people flooding into the stores to buy product with their name on it. It had become way over the top and every sponsored guy had a model out, and it was just beginning. I used to say stuff like “imagine if every bench warmer in the NBA had a signature shoe”. It’s easy to see how funny that would be if you walked into a shoe store and saw 500 signature shoes, but my statements fell on deaf ears, because everyone was making money and forget to look at the long term, and now it’s here to bite back. So, that’s what we ended up with in skateboarding. I think we came pretty close to 500 guys with signature models, and I think that’s pretty embarrassing for skateboarding. What started as a way to sell some more boards because some pro really attracted a lot of attention to his company by kicking everyone’s asses competitively for the most part has slowly eroded to something that was handed out to every team rider as a sort of pat on the back, welcome to the team statement. The problem is that many if not most of the guys getting boards didn’t truly create sales for the brand, they were just good skaters. I knew it when I got my first pro model that I didn’t mean as much as many of the other pro’s, but at 18 years old, who is going to say know to getting a pro model? Nobody will, and no it’s gotten way out of hand.

Now a brand has little option but to follow this ridiculous path, because it’s almost impossible to stand out against the infiltration. Some of us want your help to straighten out the skateboard industry and are very happy you are all being vocal about it.

Only you skaters can make it change. The power has always been in the hands of the skaters, but many didn’t even know they had that power, but if you’ve been reading all these post’s I hope it’s becoming clearer. 

I have been told by many people that I should resign from the IASC board to disassociate myself with this issue, but I don’t quit that easy. Instead, I hope to push harder to make the industry face some of its issues that I believe are the underlying problems that have led to this whole problem so I am going to push to get those items on the IASC agenda to see if I can get the industry to clean up some of its shit.

I know I’ve rambled on too long as it is, but those who care, some of the things I believe and will fight to make happen are:

1.   Fix Pro Skateboarding so maybe a pro model will mean something. 

It’s a long term deal, but if Pro skateboarders just continue to be tapped on the head by the Pro Fairy instead of having to compete to earn the title and prove they deserve it, then the problem of way too many pro’s will never go away, and companies will continue to try and use them as the only focus of their efforts and not focus on making better products and rewarding the most talented and deserving. 

Ok, so haters go ahead and hate, contests are gay, blah, blah, blah, and I don’t entirely disagree, but contest formats can be modernized and tweaked, but avoiding them just prolongs the problem and keeps the waters muddy. But, the bottom line is that even when competition is the main way someone earns their way in, there will always be exceptions to the rule and style and skill will never be entirely controlled by contests. For example, Gonz did not win every contest he entered, but he did do well enough in a few to prove his skills to everyone, and his skills, personality and artistic style have allowed him to remain a strong force in skateboarding many, many years later. So, those who have the skill to become legends will be able to overcome the competitive system, but that would be the exception, and the rule would be that most would have to prove their skills in competition and fade away as new generations came up and had younger fresher skills. That’s how it worked with all the other previous generations and it worked just fine. Guys like me and guys from my generation like Lance Mountain, Neil Blender, came up and chased off the generation before us, and a couple years later we turned around and got chased off by the Tony Hawk’s, Lester Kasai’s, Chris Millers, Ben Schroeder’s, etc…. Well, I did, but Lance still is holding his ground to this day. It’s just natural evolution. Now, instead of having exceptions to the general rule, almost everybody is living like they are the exception, and there are no rules, so no one truly knows who earned the title or still deserves the coverage, sponsorship, and respect. With this current system we can’t get rid of the guys who are just clogging up the system, because we have no system to flush them out, and I am going to keep pushing to make that change.

Everyone and anyone has a right to make or have a pro model, but if people really knew who to most talented skaters were, then those are the pro models that would sell, and we wouldn’t have such a watered down marketplace and skaters might feel it was worth it to pay a few extra bucks to support a pro who was really amazing.

If we really knew who the best skaters were, there products would sell the best and we wouldn’t be in such a confusing time. After time, if magazines gave proper coverage to those who really earned it, eventually people would only buy boards with those guys’ names on them anyway. Now, the consumer has really no way to know who is best, other than convincing themselves they know by the videos they see. This makes most boards relatively equal in value, and that includes equal in value to a shop board or a blank.  If the industry refuses to fix this, they might as well just sell blanks.

2.   Force companies to label their products where they come from.

There are laws against not labeling your products with their country or origin and many people in the skateboard industry are not following those laws, so the consumer doesn’t know if he’s buying a board from China, Mexico, or America. This just further ads confusion to the whole issue of what you are buying. Is that blank from America, or China? Did that shop board come from a reputable factory or just some toy factory somewhere? Does that company makes its own decks and if not, where are they coming from?

Some people won’t care at all, and some people do. I get yelled at every time I bring this up (mostly be people who are importing all their stuff) but I don’t really care. I think the consumer deserves to know what they are buying and they should be the ones who get to decide if they care where it came from or not.

By staying on the IASC board and pushing for change, I can hopefully help make things better, but by quitting I’d just be asking for the bullshit to go on forever.

I hope you skaters who really love skateboarding for what it is will do your part to push the industry to change itself for the better. Stay vocal and maybe that’s what will happen. Sit back and watch, and the BS will continue forever. If you want something to happen, you can be part of the solution, or just sit back and support the problem by doing nothing. Only you can help make changes in skateboarding, and because you are here reading this, I assume you love it enough to do something about it. 

Thanks for taking the time to read and whether you agree with me or not, at least you care enough to be involved. Skateboarding itself will live long and prosper no matter what happens to the skateboard industry!!!

I don’t often have time to write this much stuff or get this directly involved, but I will do my best to answer any questions you guys may have that I can do without getting into trouble for it. I’ve been reading the boards and there is so much confusion about where boards come from etc…… that it just trips me out. Like Canadian Maple. I think most skaters think most of the wood comes from Canada, but I know that almost all of what we use is North American Hard Rock Maple and comes from the US. It’s pretty funny to see how far off base some of this stuff is that get’s talked about. I’ll do my best to tell you the truth if you have a question—I am a skater first, and business guy comes after that.

Thanks again,

Jim Gray, Abc Board Supply

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
Re: A statement from an IASC member
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 03:05:05 PM »
sup man

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 03:15:25 PM »
I'm just curious, can we all come to a consensus as to who should and who should not have a pro model deck?
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

reaganomics

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 03:16:24 PM »
i didnt read it

Maple Syrup

• Rep: -16
  • rhymenoceros
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 03:18:19 PM »
anyone want to summarize what was just said, because i dont have the patience to read it.  and i probably dont care anyway, if its another person bitching about board sales.

roulette

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 03:19:26 PM »

I don’t often have time to write this much stuff or get this directly involved, but I will do my best to answer any questions you guys may have that I can do without getting into trouble for it. I’ve been reading the boards and there is so much confusion about where boards come from etc…… that it just trips me out. Like Canadian Maple. I think most skaters think most of the wood comes from Canada, but I know that almost all of what we use is North American Hard Rock Maple and comes from the US. It’s pretty funny to see how far off base some of this stuff is that get’s talked about. I’ll do my best to tell you the truth if you have a question—I am a skater first, and business guy comes after that.

Thanks again,

Jim Gray, Abc Board Supply

Hah, I love reading all these 16 year olds talk like they know about everything going on behind closed doors...Its like kids in college talking about polotics..senseless

otis b driftwood

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 03:23:23 PM »
i'm not sure that contests are an effective way to decide who should be pro anymore.
a lot of guys that are popular here (traffic) etc. would never trouble the top 50 in any contest.
gino, sanchez, and keenan and a lot of guys from that era probably would never have got a board.

video is going to be the yardstick from now on, but maybe more video contests like one in a million etc.would work.

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 03:24:18 PM »
Here's the recap.  Jim Gray, owner of ABC and Acme, (also the dude who did away with the "pro" model back in like the early 90's with Acme) is saying that pros need to enter contests and compete to earn their pro status.  That's how the pros in the 80's did it and he thinks that's how it should be done today to weed out some of the guys that have pro models now.  I don't necessarily agree with you Jim.  You mentioned how you don't understand why some people even buy a pro model from some pro that doesn't compete or has done shit for years?  So you're saying that someone like Gino Iannucci doesn't deserve a pro board and Ryan Sheckler does?  C'mon... now.  I'd buy a Gino board now just because of the impact that Gino brought to skateboarding when he was at the top of his game in the mid-90's rather than buy a Sheckler board just because Sheck took 1st in last year's Dew tour (* Please note:I'm not sure who took 1st in the Dew tour in 2006... I'm just using that as an example.)

Jim... do you think you deserved a pro board back in the day based on your competition record?

On the 2nd point you made with regards to companies needing to label where their product is made... that's a good idea.  I'm not sure what kind of difference it's gonna make.  90% of the shit people buy... clothes, cars, ipods, whatever is made in China or other developing nations.  If the product they make sucks... then the consumer will buy product of higher quality somewhere else.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 04:22:38 PM by Math Professor »

iagainsti

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 03:25:31 PM »

Maple Syrup

• Rep: -16
  • rhymenoceros
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 03:26:39 PM »
contests should never decide who is pro.  the streets is where the new shit happens. if everyone skated contests all the time it would just be like back in the freestyle era.

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 03:26:44 PM »
I'm just curious, can we all come to a consensus as to who should and who should not have a pro model deck?

deserves:
drehobl

does not deserve:
muska. (sidenote muska a few years ago would have been a completely differant story. im sorry but currently i dont think he deserves a oard and is just holding on to what he used to be.)

mr gray,

you made a comparison to the nba which i found rather good so i will try to create my own metaphor using the nba.

the nab doesnt yell at you because you went to a minor league game because you didnt feel like sitting in the nose bleeds, and pay 10 bucks for a beer.

skateboarding for some reason does. from being broke and not even being able to buying boards and having friends give nme there old boards and buying shop decks from active (core board shops are not on option in southern california, maybe the iasc could work on that next). however now i have a job and all the boards ive been buying are pro decks. i completley agree with you on the whole country of origin issue. dwindle needs to ante up instead of bitching about blanks. quality in skateboards has gone down. a couple years ago they wre going with this elongated concave that was supposidly make the board last longer. in my mind i thought cool longer lasting board. all it seems now are boards are made cheaper and cheaper therefor forcing you to get shitty board after shitty board. something about this needs to be done. until then ill be supporting krooked and yellow. 

Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

leeroy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 03:35:29 PM »
If we really knew who the best skaters were, there products would sell the best and we wouldn’t be in such a confusing time. 

And the biggest companies with all the money could buy the best riders? I kinda understand the point, you wanna make it make sense who can have a model and who can't. But it's not gonna happen like that. It's just not possible. In fact, to me that sounds insane.

The origin thing is good. That's how it should go. There even should be the name of the factory there too.
"The Night Of The Vampire"

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 03:47:54 PM »
Jim shouldn't be making comparisons to the NBA.  The NBA is basketball and skateboarding is skateboarding.

photowill

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 03:52:07 PM »
Companies need to smarten the fuck up, it's not the skaters killing the industry it's the companies themselves. Who the fuck wants to buy a Dwindle for $60 US or more like $100 Canadian up here? Nobody. I'm so sick of us, the actual skaters taking the whole blame and constantly being razzed by companies cause we're bad for buying the products we do. Last time I checked skateboarding was supposed to be for fun and not about the money. I'd seriously just love to sit down with the surfer-bro CEO's of companies, have a nice long chat with them from an actual skateboarder's perspective (when was the last time they had to pay nearly $100 for a "professional" skateboard?) and tell them what the fuck is up. THEY need to listen to US, we don't need to listen to their bullshit ads.

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 03:58:33 PM »
anyone want to summarize what was just said, because i dont have the patience to read it.  and i probably dont care anyway, if its another person bitching about board sales.

1. Pros need to compete to earn a pro board or pro shoe.
2. Companies need to label where they get there stuff made.

I'm surprised these big wig skate company CEO's actually lurk on the message boards.  I thought it was only kids and older dudes like me that kill time while the computers do all the work.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 04:02:43 PM by Math Professor »

remEMBer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
    • emb4ever avatar image
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 04:06:45 PM »
Jim... do you think you deserved a pro board back in the day based on your competition record?

I do remember him placing wait... actually maybe I don't  So when I get home tonight I'll find and old issue of TWS or Thrasher and see where he placed. Oh do you remember the gay "haro" skateboards ads? uhh a bike company making skateboards yeah right!

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 04:13:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I do remember him placing wait... actually maybe I don't  So when I get home tonight I'll find and old issue of TWS or Thrasher and see where he placed. Oh do you remember the gay "haro" skateboards ads? uhh a bike company making skateboards yeah right!
I think Jim turned pro because he invented the Gray slide.  And you're right... Haro was a BMX company that tried to enter the skateboarding market.  I was trying to remember what company Jim rode for.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 04:19:42 PM »
That so gayly long.

yeah dude!

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 04:26:47 PM »
The main problem I have with all this is companies selling their product to chains in the mall.

Who actually suffers more?
The Industry when a shop sells blanks and shop decks?
Or real skateshops when the Industry continues to support places like Zumiez?

From what I can tell, real skate shops suffer more. An actual shop owner made a point of saying how places like Zumiez are hurting him and other shops in this area (Seattle) in another thread. Several shop owners have spoke up on this issue. I mean fuck, go to the Zumiez website and you'll see a picture of the whole Flip team chillin on their fucking couch tour. Do the companies think a kid will see that and run to a legit shop to buy a flip board?

Think of how much business a shop loses over the holidays when a kids parents are doing the shopping. You think they're gonna go to a real shop when they can spend an extra 15 in the mall after stopping at Wet Seal?

Tony Hawk said "blanks are a departure from the respect of professionals and a way of slowing killing the companies that have kept skateboarding alive thru the toughest times". I feel that selling your products to mall shops is a way of slowy killing the shops that have kept skateboard true for me. Thinking about it now, none of the shops I went to when I started skating are still around but most of the companies are.

I love going to new skateshops. Whenever I go to Vancouver, Anti-Social is always my first stop. It's rad to sit there and talk to Michelle about an event coming up at the Plaze or something.

Big companies/distributers like Blitz will never stop selling to Zumiez which shows they care about money a lot more than my friends who own shops. Reynolds said something about if there were no pros there would be no one for kids to get hyped on or something along those lines. Well man, you rip and I'm a fan but if you think for one second seeing you cab some stairs gets me more hyped than being out with my friends on a sunny day skating you're fucking crazy.

I'll stop since this probably only makes sense in my head.

Vibetek

• Rep: 0
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 04:35:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I think Jim turned pro because he invented the Gray slide.  And you're right... Haro was a BMX company that tried to enter the skateboarding market.  I was trying to remember what company Jim rode for.

Yeah maybe his pro career wasn't that illustrious but at least he gave a fuck enough to come on here and show us that not all the industry is crying in the sandpit that quickly turned to quicksand.
blaaahhhh ahhhh.....

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 04:36:08 PM »
Well man, you rip and I'm a fan but if you think for one second seeing you cab some stairs gets me more hyped than being out with my friends on a sunny day skating you're fucking crazy.
Well said.

Derka Derk

• Rep: 9
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 04:42:48 PM »
if your lobbying against pad laws, why aren't you lobbying against tickets for street skating? do you really believe that skateboarding is supposed to be done in a skatepark? do you really believe that board sales are purely led by popularity of pro's, instead of the right measurements? I've never bought a board, because of the print or the name which was on it, just wether or not I liked the shape of it.

AllBunny

• Rep: 5
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 04:50:12 PM »
The main problem I have with all this is companies selling their product to chains in the mall.

Who actually suffers more?
The Industry when a shop sells blanks and shop decks?
Or real skateshops when the Industry continues to support places like Zumiez?
I'll stop since this probably only makes sense in my head.

makes total sense.

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 04:51:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

deserves:
drehobl

does not deserve:
muska. (sidenote muska a few years ago would have been a completely differant story. im sorry but currently i dont think he deserves a oard and is just holding on to what he used to be.)

If skateboarding is more about marketability than skills these days, Drehobl would get cut before The Muska.
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

89-90pistons

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 05:42:26 PM »
I think the pros should go on strike, not skate, and collect unemployment. Then take a minute and think of how lucky you are that you profit anything at all from skating. Times are tough and nobody's checks are as big as their used to. I respect the pros for what they did for skateboarding, I'm not too stoked on what they're doing for it.

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 05:56:25 PM »
Fuck you Jim.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 07:10:06 PM »
PAYBACK...

AFTER ALL THESE YEARS, JIM GRAY IS STILL TRYING TO TELL US WHO AND WHO SHOULDN'T HAVE PRO BOARDS. IT'S PRETTY FUNNY TO HEAR YOU TALK ABOUT THIS WHEN YOU YOURSELF WAS HORRIBLE AT SKATING. I REMEMBER AT THE TIME WHEN I GOT MY FIRST PRO BOARD FOR REAL YOU WROTE A LONG ARTICLE ON WHY I DIDN'T DESERVE A BOARD. FUNNY THING WAS, I WAS BETTER THAN YOUR WHOLE CRAPPY TEAM COMBINED. ACME??? PLEASE... I GOT ACCEPTED TO BE ON BLIND BY THE GONZ HIMSELF.
I DIDN'T ENTER ANY CONTESTS OR ANYTHING, YET STILL HAD A  HAND ON MODERN DAY STREET SKATING.

BOTTOM LINE... YOU'RE A FUCKING JOKE AND DON'T DESERVE TO EVEN SPEAK ON WHO OR WHO SHOULDN'T BE PRO. STICK TO WHAT YA KNOW, AND THAT'S LEECHING OFF OF THE SAME PROS YOU
THINK DON'T DESERVE TO HAVE A BOARD.

JimGray

• Rep: -1
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 07:33:30 PM »
Hey, I don't have time to check this every 5 minutes and respond to everyone's shit, but I have no problem with you having your own opinions, even though some of you don't share that sentiment. Don't post here again--I suppose that idiot forgets the whole reason he can post here is because anyone has the right too. Chase off anyone who doesn’t say what you want to hear, and you call yourselves skaters. I thought skaters were the ones who fight for places to skate, and fight for their rights, but they need to tell people to not post here—that’s not very skater like. How many times did you come back to somewhere when someone told you not to skate here? Yeah, I am going to leave now. Grow up dumbass and come up with something better than that.

Where in the hell did you read that I want to choose who gets to be a pro? That is far different from me wanting to see pro’s earning the spot. If they earned it, I had nothing to do with it. Just cause I should think pros should earn the title, doesn’t mean I think I should be the judge. That’s just a stupid statement. Whoever you are Magik Inc groupie, why don’t you at least say who the hell you are and use your real name. At least I am not hiding behind a screen name and post as who I am. You were better than my whole team—yeah, aren’t you a cocky SOB. Who are you? I think it’s Henry Sanchez, but I’d like you to confirm so I can know who is so all superior to the Acme team in it’s prime. Bring it on!!!

I never claimed I was the best pro, but I did have to go out and compete against the best guys and get my ass whooped, but I whooped a few myself over the years. When there wasn’t so many pro models, people knew who we all were and I sold a hell of a lot less decks than many other guys. When I rode for G&S I probably sold 100 decks for every thousand decks that Billy Ruff or Neil Blender did, but I thought that was totally fair. I fought to earn my way out there, but had no illusions that I was anywhere near the best. You can call me lame, gay or whatever, but at least I backed up what I had, which was a low man on the totem pole in the world of skating. I skated then and skate today because I like to skate. I don’t have anything to prove to anyone.  If you are going to talk shit on me, how about telling me your story on what makes you so special!   

Come on, we are all just skaters here, I thought. 

yeah dude!

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 07:41:54 PM »
Hey, I don't have time to check this every 5 minutes and respond to everyone's shit, but I have no problem with you having your own opinions, even though some of you don't share that sentiment. Don't post here again--I suppose that idiot forgets the whole reason he can post here is because anyone has the right too. Chase off anyone who doesn’t say what you want to hear, and you call yourselves skaters. I thought skaters were the ones who fight for places to skate, and fight for their rights, but they need to tell people to not post here—that’s not very skater like. How many times did you come back to somewhere when someone told you not to skate here? Yeah, I am going to leave now. Grow up dumbass and come up with something better than that.

Where in the hell did you read that I want to choose who gets to be a pro? That is far different from me wanting to see pro’s earning the spot. If they earned it, I had nothing to do with it. Just cause I should think pros should earn the title, doesn’t mean I think I should be the judge. That’s just a stupid statement. Whoever you are Magik Inc groupie, why don’t you at least say who the hell you are and use your real name. At least I am not hiding behind a screen name and post as who I am. You were better than my whole team—yeah, aren’t you a cocky SOB. Who are you? I think it’s Henry Sanchez, but I’d like you to confirm so I can know who is so all superior to the Acme team in it’s prime. Bring it on!!!

I never claimed I was the best pro, but I did have to go out and compete against the best guys and get my ass whooped, but I whooped a few myself over the years. When there wasn’t so many pro models, people knew who we all were and I sold a hell of a lot less decks than many other guys. When I rode for G&S I probably sold 100 decks for every thousand decks that Billy Ruff or Neil Blender did, but I thought that was totally fair. I fought to earn my way out there, but had no illusions that I was anywhere near the best. You can call me lame, gay or whatever, but at least I backed up what I had, which was a low man on the totem pole in the world of skating. I skated then and skate today because I like to skate. I don’t have anything to prove to anyone.  If you are going to talk shit on me, how about telling me your story on what makes you so special!   

Come on, we are all just skaters here, I thought. 

I know you can't respond to every comment but could you please tell us how all these companies who are against blanks can sell to places like Zumiez? Zumiez isn't skateboarding.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2007, 07:42:34 PM »
TRUST ME, THE COMMENT DIDN'T COME FROM ME THINKING I'M SPECIAL. IT'S COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO KNEW HOW SHITTY ACME WAS.

YES, THIS IS HENRY. WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT?

THE ONE THING THAT MAKES PEOPLE DECIDE TO RIDE BLANKS IS THE
PRICE, AND THE PRICE ONLY. NOW LET'S REWIND THE TAPE A BIT...
WASN'T IT ACME WHO TRIED TO SELL BOARDS AND BLANKS CHEAPER
THAN 95% OF THE BOARDS OUT THERE? HUH?