Author Topic: A statement from an IASC member  (Read 5327 times)

slumper

Re: A statement from an IASC member
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2007, 07:43:30 PM »
Jim, Henry Sanchez is and was a much better skater than anyone who has ever ridden for Acme or any of your companies today. Maybe your failure to see that is the reason none of your companies have ever succeeded.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2007, 07:44:28 PM »
if your lobbying against pad laws, why aren't you lobbying against tickets for street skating? do you really believe that skateboarding is supposed to be done in a skatepark? do you really believe that board sales are purely led by popularity of pro's, instead of the right measurements? I've never bought a board, because of the print or the name which was on it, just wether or not I liked the shape of it.

Skateboarding in the streets is seen as vandalism and if you look at Hubba, shit was all tagged up after a couple of days, and we wonder why skateboarding is outlawed.

suckafoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2007, 07:45:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Hey, I don't have time to check this every 5 minutes and respond to everyone's shit, but I have no problem with you having your own opinions, even though some of you don't share that sentiment. Don't post here again--I suppose that idiot forgets the whole reason he can post here is because anyone has the right too. Chase off anyone who doesn’t say what you want to hear, and you call yourselves skaters. I thought skaters were the ones who fight for places to skate, and fight for their rights, but they need to tell people to not post here—that’s not very skater like. How many times did you come back to somewhere when someone told you not to skate here? Yeah, I am going to leave now. Grow up dumbass and come up with something better than that.

Where in the hell did you read that I want to choose who gets to be a pro? That is far different from me wanting to see pro’s earning the spot. If they earned it, I had nothing to do with it. Just cause I should think pros should earn the title, doesn’t mean I think I should be the judge. That’s just a stupid statement. Whoever you are Magik Inc groupie, why don’t you at least say who the hell you are and use your real name. At least I am not hiding behind a screen name and post as who I am. You were better than my whole team—yeah, aren’t you a cocky SOB. Who are you? I think it’s Henry Sanchez, but I’d like you to confirm so I can know who is so all superior to the Acme team in it’s prime. Bring it on!!!

I never claimed I was the best pro, but I did have to go out and compete against the best guys and get my ass whooped, but I whooped a few myself over the years. When there wasn’t so many pro models, people knew who we all were and I sold a hell of a lot less decks than many other guys. When I rode for G&S I probably sold 100 decks for every thousand decks that Billy Ruff or Neil Blender did, but I thought that was totally fair. I fought to earn my way out there, but had no illusions that I was anywhere near the best. You can call me lame, gay or whatever, but at least I backed up what I had, which was a low man on the totem pole in the world of skating. I skated then and skate today because I like to skate. I don’t have anything to prove to anyone.  If you are going to talk shit on me, how about telling me your story on what makes you so special!   

Come on, we are all just skaters here, I thought. 

[close]

I know you can't respond to every comment but could you please tell us how all these companies who are against blanks can sell to places like Zumiez? Zumiez isn't skateboarding.

The best part is...Zumiez sells shit-tons of blanks.
Well I believe in the devil....and nothing scares me more than Keyser Soze.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2007, 08:10:39 PM »
HOW'D THEY GET THE MONEY FOR THAT?

JimGray

• Rep: -1
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2007, 08:26:28 PM »
No Henry, I never tried to sell blanks cheaper than anyone. I don't sell blanks at all.

JimGray

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2007, 08:34:47 PM »
Dear Yeah Dude, about people selling to Zumiez etc...... I don't sell to them myself right now and I am not in control of the others, but I do know the lure of big sales is too hard for many to pass up. I've sold some shit to some bigger chains over the years, but don't really try and do that if it can be avoided. Part of my whole idea for me to put anything up here was just to say that I am stoked that you guys are speaking up about the industry's bullshit. They will only change things if they feel it in their pocketbook. If more skaters emailed big companies and said, I saw your shit at the mall, so I will not buy it anymore, and they felt it in their sales, then maybe they'd change their ways, but they've been able to get away with so much for so many years that many feel invincible.

The China thing is another example. Most of you know who the big brands are that have their boards made in China but don't label them that way. If you took the same time to email them and tell them how lame it is that they do this as you did to chat about it in bulletin boards like like this, then maybe again they'd change their ways, but since so much just gets swept under the rug, then they are able to get away with pulling the wool over people's eyes. The whole opening of the gates to China is a big part of the why shop boards and blanks are eating the industry alive, and they opened the door themselves, and now they are bitching about it.

My whole point here was being stoked on some of the bullshit being called out on, and all I got was attacked. Whatever, I guess that's how it works. I guess I should expect that.

JimGray

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2007, 08:45:37 PM »
Niced picture Brooklyn Brawler. Do you have the balls to say who you really are?

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2007, 08:48:09 PM »
He doesn't

yeah dude!

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2007, 09:04:26 PM »
Dear Yeah Dude, about people selling to Zumiez etc...... I don't sell to them myself right now and I am not in control of the others, but I do know the lure of big sales is too hard for many to pass up. I've sold some shit to some bigger chains over the years, but don't really try and do that if it can be avoided. Part of my whole idea for me to put anything up here was just to say that I am stoked that you guys are speaking up about the industry's bullshit. They will only change things if they feel it in their pocketbook. If more skaters emailed big companies and said, I saw your shit at the mall, so I will not buy it anymore, and they felt it in their sales, then maybe they'd change their ways, but they've been able to get away with so much for so many years that many feel invincible.

The China thing is another example. Most of you know who the big brands are that have their boards made in China but don't label them that way. If you took the same time to email them and tell them how lame it is that they do this as you did to chat about it in bulletin boards like like this, then maybe again they'd change their ways, but since so much just gets swept under the rug, then they are able to get away with pulling the wool over people's eyes. The whole opening of the gates to China is a big part of the why shop boards and blanks are eating the industry alive, and they opened the door themselves, and now they are bitching about it.

My whole point here was being stoked on some of the bullshit being called out on, and all I got was attacked. Whatever, I guess that's how it works. I guess I should expect that.

Thanks for responding.

FuckNameLock

• Rep: 3
  • OG Bdotkilla za Thrilla
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2007, 10:55:51 PM »
all this bullshit the industry is pulling...

it makes me wish i never picked up a skateboard man. and that hurts.

luckly in my situation we dont have any mall shops in town. localy owned only. But canadian tire.. CANADIAN FUCKING TIRE sells world industry completes. what the fuck is up with that. goddamnit world industries started as a skate company did they not... who the fuck do they think they are selling out to somthing WORSE than mall shops?

to me... thats the lowest of the low right there. i will never EVER even look at a fucking world product ever again.

rowley, reynods and tony still have my respects. what they said thoe hurts aswell.

dude before said it best. skating with friends gets you more stoked than anythign a pro can do.

im gonna stop bantering.. its just pissing me off more.

one more thing.. and sorry sheff if you think im stealin your writin style.but jeff or john or fuckface or whoever... contests to say whos pro? that would mean koston would have to stop fucking around and doing cool shit/having fun during his rare contest appearences... to stay at pro level. fuck that. theres a better way to do shit.. and someone better figure out what it is soon.

FuckNameLock

• Rep: 3
  • OG Bdotkilla za Thrilla
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2007, 11:00:54 PM »
What I have a hard time getting around is this concept that skaters have to "prove themselves" in contests to be pro.

Jim, this isn't the 70's, contests are irrelavant. Most kids couldn't give two shits about a contest. So this idea that they are somehow necessary in deciding who is and isn't pro is just silly. Besides, contest results are a poor way of judging how good someone is at skating. Some of the best skaters out there would do very poorly in a contest. Some people just can't skate with a park full of kooks starring at them. Video parts are the new contests, and have been for a while now. Kids judge skaters and teams based on their videos. If a pro gets coverage and puts out video parts that people like, why should they have to do something silly like place in a contest? At the end of the day, isn't the it the job of the pro to sell boards? See, in reality you don't even need to skate to sell boards. If you're lucky you can come out ripping or build a rep and work that hustle all the way to the bank. And there isn't anything wrong with that. Some pros might have to sell boards by making a name for themselves on the contest circuit, but who is really buying their boards anyways? It's mainly little kids just getting into it or people buying a board as an accessory. Most kids are buying boards based on their favorite teams image or most recent video.

Jim, one of the reasons your company might be struggling is you seem to have a really dated opinion of what skateboarding is all about. I think if you acquired some skaters that some kid might know and put out a decent video you wouldn't be having the same problems for much longer. but that's just my two cents.

if i could have wrote that i would have...  makes a ton more sense than what i was trying to say

Derka Derk

• Rep: 9
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2007, 02:41:48 AM »
Expand Quote
if your lobbying against pad laws, why aren't you lobbying against tickets for street skating? do you really believe that skateboarding is supposed to be done in a skatepark? do you really believe that board sales are purely led by popularity of pro's, instead of the right measurements? I've never bought a board, because of the print or the name which was on it, just wether or not I liked the shape of it.
[close]

Skateboarding in the streets is seen as vandalism and if you look at Hubba, shit was all tagged up after a couple of days, and we wonder why skateboarding is outlawed.
Sure tagging at your spot is a stupid thing to do, but i do think that if your investing money into bribeing politicians (thats what lobbying is) you could do more than just stop pad laws. I assume your american, and i think that some americans (overly concerned civilians) are too obsessed with conserving what they "have", instead of actually living their life and therefore see street skating as vandalism. Once skateboarding is no longer a criminal activity it will also be (after a slow process) concieved as an artform or positive activity or what you want to call it, but not an act of vandalism. And indeed people should be carefull with the spots they have; don't litter, no loud music, be kind to the people around that spot. If so you can definitely work something out with people who oppose on you skateboarding. We did so with a few spots (in the netherlands) and could even skate inside the university building, we just had to wait for half an hour because there were classes and could skate afterwards.

Jackers

• Rep: 11
  • Thanks GRL
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2007, 05:39:33 AM »
Contests Are Gay! there I said It.. wait you said that, damn beat me to it. 

edit; These are monumental times
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 05:43:59 AM by Jackers »
Idle

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2007, 05:46:15 AM »
All due respect Henry, but Omar Hassan, Quy Nguyen, and Matt Reason rode for Acme back in the day.
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

Edward Penishands

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2007, 06:18:42 AM »
eat shit and die

sincerely,
your average blank deck buying, street skating jersey scum skateboarder

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2007, 07:49:26 AM »
How is it that all the industry faggots are so disconnected with skaters?

Contest more important than a video part?

Find out who's really better?

No mention of trick selection or style but fucking contest? Jesus...

You said you would answer question so I got one for you. Who's dick did you suck to get your job?

Seriously, this is just shocking to me that the industry guys are all so completely detached. No wonder they are coming up with these wack campagnes.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2007, 08:01:48 AM »
don't we have some 'fake style' or something else to talk about?

moustache

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2007, 09:23:10 AM »
Deciding who's best?

A video part doesn't show "who's best"?!

What the fuck?! Who gives a shit about who's best!? What the fuck is this. Football?

Fuck you man. Seriously.

It's about what's rad. How it's done. Who did it. Where they did it. How they did it. And to an exent if it's been done before.

Go watch the Traffic video and fuck off. Skateboarding isn't business. Even if there is a business side to it, even if there's a big fucking global business side to it, it's still about having a board, and going out and skating it. On your own or with your friends.

It's not abot board sales and blanks or any of that shit. Those are just things we have to deal with and work out. I don't have the answers, but I know that 99% of skateboarders you ask wish things were like they used to be: i.e a struggle but somehing of worth.

Sure I agree some pro's aren't pulling their weight, but then it's not about contests, it's about taste. I could moan about how I don't think Muska deserves and board, or whatever, but I'd be stoked if someone gave Pulhowski one. And it's not like he's out there getting coverage every day.

It's not black or white, but it is most certainly not about "who's best". You my friend are an idiot.

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2007, 01:03:09 PM »
to mr. gray,

first ill give you a compliment, the idea of erasing pad laws is a very valid cause. i hope you continue to push for this.

the idea of contest as a measuring stick is no longer valid, you dont seem like an idiot to me, so you must be able to see this. to the eyes of a beginner skater or a parent something as easily consumable as a contest win might seem attractive but once that kid has skated for a while he'll be influenced by what's really going on in skating and that dew tour win wont mean anything, in fact it might hurt that skaters popularity.

next, places like zumiez and pac sun are the biggest things hurting me. yes i run a shop, it feeds, clothes, and house's me. places like these take money out of my pocket.

and lastly, im fortunate enough to live in an area where me and my friends are a major influence on the skate scene, we help sell more boards than the pro's who's names are on them. we do really well with brands like coda. why? a bunch of us skate them. none of the kids know who the pro's are on the team its us thats doing the promoting.

so here's my last thought. if i made boards of good quality and had good graphics and then put the name of a popular local skater on it, i think it would sell better than almost anything on my board wall.

would you have a problem with that?
I need a coffee

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2007, 01:04:44 PM »
Push cream to the fiends Sfa
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2007, 01:52:38 PM »
well, "lance".

anyone who knows who we are knows that are "scene" is kinda self inclusive.

and

i'll bet there are other areas around the country that are the same.

i back the localization of skating.

back your friends cause there the ones backing you.
I need a coffee

mikem

• Rep: 0
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2007, 03:17:46 PM »
It's worth pointing out that while a contest isn’t the end all measurement of skating ability, a carefully edited video is even less accurate. Skate videos are great but too many people obsess over them. It’s like it doesn’t count if you don’t get it on video. Besides, isn't the whole video deal still a competition? Maybe Jim should’ve clarified that he simply meant live competitions, not pre-recorded!

One other point that Jim regretfully didn’t make regarding the whole competition issue is that business is about competition. Which makes skateboard business about competition. Which makes skaters who want to be a part of the skateboard business (via sponsorship, such as a pro model) dependent upon competition. Even if you’re talking about videos, it’s still ultimately a contest of who can make the best video. If you’re a soul skater and you press your own boards and have never once thought about sponsorship, then you may very well have a legit viewpoint to rage on Jim, although in that scenario why would you even care what he thinks? Why would you even be bothering to participate on a Web forum run by a commercial skate magazine?

otis b driftwood

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2007, 03:26:17 PM »
Besides, isn't the whole video deal still a competition?

no.

If you’re a soul skater

HAHAHAH

Anyway, i think the best marketing/promotion any company is doing right now is the habitat field log, i would guess most companies will have something similar soon. crailtap is posting more and more clips of their skaters too

these guys are out filming everyday, if they don't come up with a minutes worth of footage every month whether it's dork stuff or whatever then maybe they don't deserve to be pro.

i think lakai will be the last big video and we'll be back to shorter videos dropping more often interspersed with lots of clips on the internets.

appleicious

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2007, 09:13:06 PM »
This is a great thread...I agree first and foremost with my friend SFA, I also feel it's the local scene that pushes sales in the area, so it's not always the case that the boards that sell well in one area will be the same in another. You can see this in Boston...there are two core skateshops...True East and Orchard. They're within ten minutes of each other but haven entirely different clientele and core products. The kids who are down with each shop influence what brands are popular with local skaters that are loyal to each shop respectively, not the industry. Granted, the industry of course has some influence, but really, i think it comes down to the local scene.

I also think the professional skate world could use a little slimming down. I work hard forty hours a week and skate when I can because I love it. I feel some pros take their cushy lifestyles for granted...they could use a little dose of reality...You know...work hard all week and still muster up the energy to skate hard where time and obligations permit. I'll admit, my opinions are fueled by jealousy, as I know these pros are blessed with natural abilty, something I wasn't, but they should still have to work hard at skateboarding to desreve their pro status. I'm not sure what the most appropriate way would be to measure it, but I feel something should be done. I've been skating for twenty years and I can honestly say I think things are getting out of hand with too many pros, too many pro model shoes, too many kids in skating for the wrong reasons and too many local shops struggling because of the huge mall shops taking away from their business.

• Rep: 2
  • I looked at my kingdom I was finally there
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2007, 10:44:24 PM »
 Thinking about it now, none of the shops I went to when I started skating are still around but most of the companies are.

• Rep: 2
  • I looked at my kingdom I was finally there
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2007, 10:58:16 PM »
^ that was meant to be a quote from yeahdude!, it's sad that the company that, from my experience, seems to pay the most attention to local skateshops is nike

Lomaz

• Rep: 1
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2007, 11:45:46 PM »
I don't think contest are better than video parts, but I wouldn't say video parts are better than contest either.

I can appreciate a good video part, but I also like watching Jim's Ramp Jam with Cards, Speyer, Shao and all those dudes. I also get stoked watching all the older dudes in the Pro Tec Pool Party.  Whatever gets you motivated to skate. To each his own.

To me contest aren't about the competition itself, but about the atmosphere it brings.  Back in the day when there was a contest where I lived it was cool to see all pro's around town for that week and skating at all the spots.  It brought a cool vibe.  The contest practices were sick because everyone was busting out.  The actual runs really didn't matter.

golgo13

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2007, 12:18:12 AM »
http://www.abcboards.com/
have a look at the boards.
wow.

ymhy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2007, 06:30:21 AM »
wow i'm actually pissed off from reading through this

big ups to sanch

jim gray?  give me a fucking break son.

ymhy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2007, 06:30:50 AM »
how is it that people like jim gray are running our industry?  HOW????