Author Topic: Fallen Footwear  (Read 67424 times)

I_Respect_Wood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
Re: Fallen Footwear
« Reply #360 on: April 15, 2016, 02:35:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
only person who ever looked particularly good in Nikes was Brent Achtley. And probably some people in the late 80's
[close]

John Motta rocked the dunks better than anyone, even brent achtley...

(best part of all time)
[close]

Sorry guys I'm gonna have to disagree with you both ...

NVER FORGET

adamconway123

• Rep: -4
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #361 on: April 15, 2016, 03:21:48 PM »
I have no beef with anyone taking a check from Nike...so long as they're honest and don't try to disguise their decision with statements like "Yeah but Nike supports skating...the team manager is cool...blah blah blah". 

If a person is comfortable taking a check knowing that their desire for money may very well put a shop owner or "core" skate brand out of business...more power to em.  I just hope the guilt doesn't keep em up at night.

Small companies are doing just as much damage, especially when talking about board sales.  Only so many decks get sold every year and when every single person in the world wants to start their "own" company...everyone's slice of the pie gets smaller.  This goes for decks....bearings....wheels....hardware....clothing.  Seriously, does skateboarding need any new hard goods companies?  I miss the days where there were like 12 board brands and 50 pros!

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #362 on: April 15, 2016, 03:43:51 PM »

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #363 on: April 15, 2016, 03:55:30 PM »
I have no beef with anyone taking a check from Nike...so long as they're honest and don't try to disguise their decision with statements like "Yeah but Nike supports skating...the team manager is cool...blah blah blah". 

If a person is comfortable taking a check knowing that their desire for money may very well put a shop owner or "core" skate brand out of business...more power to em.  I just hope the guilt doesn't keep em up at night.

Small companies are doing just as much damage, especially when talking about board sales.  Only so many decks get sold every year and when every single person in the world wants to start their "own" company...everyone's slice of the pie gets smaller.  This goes for decks....bearings....wheels....hardware....clothing.  Seriously, does skateboarding need any new hard goods companies?  I miss the days where there were like 12 board brands and 50 pros!

Phew, we were getting worried out here.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #364 on: April 15, 2016, 04:13:43 PM »
This goes for decks....bearings....wheels....hardware....clothing.  Seriously, does skateboarding need any new hard goods companies?  I miss the days where there were like 12 board brands and 50 pros!

It's odd, but I miss those days. It felt more raw?

Video releases were epic, bros huddled around a shit TV/VCR getting stoked. With so few companies you were supporting the 'core' industry no matter what you rode.

Now, you've got 745672846128634516253417826 pros, most of which are amazing at what they do, everyone has a pro model which means the pros get less money; it means so much less now and the careers are shorter lived.

Getting decks and bolts and slapping a label on'em isn't all that hard if you get a few guys with some income, hence the new hardgoods popping up all the time; shit, there are only so many woodshops, the 'mystery' of the where, why's and how's are gone, anyone with $1500 can get their hands on 50+ decks in multiple sizes, get'em screen and sell them locally or onlne or at a park. 

Successfully keeping it going? That's a different story. Hell, there are only a handful of truly OG brands out there (before the gold rush of the spinoff brands like The New Deal, H Street Plan B, Girl, etc:

Powell Peralta
Santa Cruz
SMA

Indy
Thunder
Venture (maybe)

Bones
OJs
Spitfire

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #365 on: April 15, 2016, 04:16:47 PM »
You forgot to tell us to get off your lawn.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

zippy z

« Reply #366 on: April 15, 2016, 06:26:57 PM »
Thanks for the reminder. Funny how ISUCK wasn't at all concerned about big corporations getting into skating when they were lining his pockets. Fucking hypocrite. You're in the same boat as all the pros you are talking shit on.

cant forget to post this, http://skateboarding.transworld.net/photos/new-balance-numeric-media-day/#3424+ee7154cae3

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #367 on: April 15, 2016, 07:24:41 PM »
Who would've thought that a brand nobody wore and everybody talked shit on would be so revered when it died.  "If only you cared when we were around (sniff sniff... sob sob)". 

Thanks for the reminder. Funny how ISUCK wasn't at all concerned about big corporations getting into skating when they were lining his pockets. Fucking hypocrite. You're in the same boat as all the pros you are talking shit on.

adamconway123

• Rep: -4
« Reply #368 on: April 15, 2016, 07:29:12 PM »

There's a pretty big difference between trying to get rich and trying to stay afloat.  Unfortunately, there are necessary evils nowadays...hence Monster sponsored Thrasher videos, etc.

Say what you will about his character or personality, but denying his contribution and commitment to skateboarding is absurd.

I would love to see the total dollar amount he's spent helping people get surgery that couldn't afford it.  I'm sure the number is astonishing.

Eric ricks

« Reply #369 on: April 15, 2016, 07:37:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There's a pretty big difference between trying to get rich and trying to stay afloat.  Unfortunately, there are necessary evils nowadays...hence Monster sponsored Thrasher videos, etc.

Say what you will about his character or personality, but denying his contribution and commitment to skateboarding is absurd.

I would love to see the total dollar amount he's spent helping people get surgery that couldn't afford it.  I'm sure the number is astonishing.

Astonshingly zero

HoudiniXLogic

• Rep: -17
« Reply #370 on: April 15, 2016, 07:51:37 PM »
Just had to come here because being on facebook and instagram is pissing me off and making me hate skateboarding more than anything ever did. Now I realise that there are skateboarders out there who will willingly spread their asscheeks to nike and accept the cash cum while holding a knife to the throat of the grassroots skateboarder.

Trust me, none of us started skating so we could be pissed off at the whole scene and talk shit on the industry on the internet......

Anyways,

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #371 on: April 15, 2016, 08:16:42 PM »
LOL @ everyone in this thread making Fallen out to be one of the best skate shoe companies ever when they never owned a pair of their shoes.

Ride the Sky is a severely underrated video though. Every part is so good.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #372 on: April 15, 2016, 08:22:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There's a pretty big difference between trying to get rich and trying to stay afloat. �Unfortunately, there are necessary evils nowadays...hence Monster sponsored Thrasher videos, etc.

I would love to see the total dollar amount he's spent helping people get surgery that couldn't afford it. �I'm sure the number is astonishing.
I'm sorry, but a lot of late 90's/early 2000's brands got rich by selling in bulk to large chain shops with unclear ownership structures at the expense of the local skate shops. You think Ken Block or Rocco gave a fuck about local shops when they were cashing massive checks from places like Active, West 49 or Zumiez? It sucks to see things people worked their lives on burning to the ground, but lets not act like they were saints. They cashed in at the expense of local stores long before Nike and Adidas got into the game. I'll admit, I got one or two of my early decks from Mall Shops/Chains (West 49 Yonge and Eg), but I was fucking kid interested in skating and they were the most accessible, ironically, it was a Zero logo board. But if I had to go to a local shop to get started I would of, and I'm sure places like Hogtown or Shred Central lost a lot of business this way.

Edit: And didn't DC give Ryan Gallant the boot for signing Fuck Mall Shops at a Demo? Real fucking core company.....
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:01:55 PM by DannyDee »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #373 on: April 15, 2016, 09:07:38 PM »
Nike will defintitely find a way to bend the rules so they can turn people Pro.... Wait I think they're doing that with Prods company.... which is essentially NIKE skateboards
Shoe companies have influenced guys turning pro for awhile. For example part of the reason Wes was held off on being turned pro was because the Am video with DC. But your statement about Primative being Nike and Nike influencing who turns pro there makes no sense. They turned 3 guys who don't even ride for Nike pro (Peacock, Carlos and Tucker) and added Shane. If your gonna make these statements, at least make them believable. 

zippy z

« Reply #374 on: April 15, 2016, 09:09:21 PM »
ISUCK is a hypocrite. When he was cashing checks with NB under his roof it was all good. Now that his vision is one more moldy relic on the trash heap of history he's decided to don the garb of a martyr and re-re-re-invent his own self-mythology. That is not an opinion that is a fact. Simply look at what he has done and is doing.

Expand Quote
[close]

There's a pretty big difference between trying to get rich and trying to stay afloat. �Unfortunately, there are necessary evils nowadays...hence Monster sponsored Thrasher videos, etc.

I would love to see the total dollar amount he's spent helping people get surgery that couldn't afford it. �I'm sure the number is astonishing.

CHANCHO

• Rep: -25
  • IAMIYAM
« Reply #375 on: April 15, 2016, 10:22:30 PM »
All I can say is that fallen's 2016 line, hell even 2015, was not doing anything for me. 

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #376 on: April 16, 2016, 12:24:50 AM »
All I can say is that fallen's 2016 line, hell even 2015, was not doing anything for me. 
ditto, all of them was thin as shit vulcs, and some cupsoles, maybe they just went vulcs for the most part to save money? after reading that ripped laces article that said vulcs was cheaper to produce than cupsoles that would make sense.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 198
« Reply #377 on: April 16, 2016, 10:28:13 AM »
I started my own shoe company

What company is this?

JamesFardy

• Rep: 62
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #378 on: April 16, 2016, 10:37:56 AM »
I really liked Fallen for the first few years they were in business, it seemed a way better fit for Cole and Thomas than Circa, and then they had Harmony and Billy Marks and just seemed like the best team (if you like that type of skating). Somewhere along the way I kinda just realized that it was somewhat of a rip off of Vans, and didnt like the new riders as much, with the others getting kicked off or quitting. Everything up until after Ride The Sky seemed awesome. Then Strange World came out with like a 2-3 Thomas tricks. There were a few years in between Full video parts from a lot of those guys (not really even one full street part from Billy Marks since)so it felt like they lost a lot followers during then. Sorry for the rant, I am sure there are TONS of other reasons, just a fan stating why I kind of saw it coming a while back, as did a lot of others.

chilllyboy

• Rep: -10
« Reply #379 on: April 16, 2016, 11:19:30 AM »

Shoe companies have influenced guys turning pro for awhile. For example part of the reason Wes was held off on being turned pro was because the Am video with DC. But your statement about Primative being Nike and Nike influencing who turns pro there makes no sense. They turned 3 guys who don't even ride for Nike pro (Peacock, Carlos and Tucker) and added Shane. If your gonna make these statements, at least make them believable. 

I'm pretty sure chief said Nike was one of the drivers behind Trevor Colden's move from Mystery to Skate mental, and as soon as he got on he turned Pro, so....

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #380 on: April 16, 2016, 11:25:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm pretty sure chief said Nike was one of the drivers behind Trevor Colden's move from Mystery to Skate mental, and as soon as he got on he turned Pro, so....
Except I was specifically talking about Primative. There are obvious links between certain shoe companies and brands, usually related to TM's and fellow riders. Mystery was a mess, and it was pretty well known it was in long term trouble. Plus Mystery was turning Colden Pro anyway, which is a large reason they were so pissed he left. I don't think Nike told him to leave because he was still Am so Skate Mental could be turned pro. Colden probably wanted to leave a sinking ship, Scuba helped find him a good landing spot. Emerica has connections like that with Baker and Toy, Vans with Anti-Hero, Etnies or DC with Plan B and so on. And after seeing what happened with Black Box and Mystery after Colden left, even if Nike encouraged him to leave, I can't really blame them. They wouldn't be the first company to encourage someone to move on because they don't like the board sponsor (Huf, Dekline etc.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:27:54 AM by DannyDee »

baravettski

• Rep: 41
« Reply #381 on: April 16, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »
Expand Quote
I started my own shoe company
[close]

What company is this?

It's called FTW...Footwear That Works. Super small line, cupsoles only. I'll post about it soon...first samples will be here in about a month.

@ftwbrand is the IG
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:57:55 AM by baravettski »

baravettski

• Rep: 41
« Reply #382 on: April 16, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Except I was specifically talking about Primative. There are obvious links between certain shoe companies and brands, usually related to TM's and fellow riders. Mystery was a mess, and it was pretty well known it was in long term trouble. Plus Mystery was turning Colden Pro anyway, which is a large reason they were so pissed he left. I don't think Nike told him to leave because he was still Am so Skate Mental could be turned pro. Colden probably wanted to leave a sinking ship, Scuba helped find him a good landing spot. Emerica has connections like that with Baker and Toy, Vans with Anti-Hero, Etnies or DC with Plan B and so on. And after seeing what happened with Black Box and Mystery after Colden left, even if Nike encouraged him to leave, I can't really blame them. They wouldn't be the first company to encourage someone to move on because they don't like the board sponsor (Huf, Dekline etc.)

Nike definitely didn't tell him to leave, there was a bunch of shit already in motion on that.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #383 on: April 16, 2016, 03:05:32 PM »
It's a branch off the tree not the tree
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

yohimbe718

• Rep: -2
« Reply #384 on: April 16, 2016, 03:57:54 PM »
I've been skateboarding since 1984.. we used to go the Albee Square Mall (RIP) in Fulton, downtown Brooklyn to buy the original Nike Dunks for $20 bucks red/wht, royal Blue/white, and Navy Blue/Yellow were the only colors you could find.. we used to buy an adidas model I haven't seen since. I don't think I bought my first pair of "skate" shoes until the original half cab. My point is I think the shoe part of the industry is still fair game because they're shoes and not boards. I wear Levi's when I skate or Dickies.. am I wrong for not buying clothing from skater owned clothing companies? Do I need skater owned produced boxers? And the amount of "skater owned" companies has grown tremendously since I started skateboarding when it was just Vans and then Airwalk <<<I'm not even 100% sure Airwalk was skater owned. But as soon as the Nike's, Adidas', NB's, and Converse's of the world start making Decks, Trucks, wheels, hardware, and bearings the industry is fucked.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 04:01:39 PM by yohimbe718 »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #385 on: April 16, 2016, 04:09:04 PM »
Fuck you for not skating Krew denim....

yohimbe718

« Reply #386 on: April 16, 2016, 04:22:21 PM »
Decks, Wheels, hardware, and bearings is what we need to protect.. forget about fighting about the rest. And seriously.. the drink sponsorships? Who cares.

yohimbe718

« Reply #387 on: April 16, 2016, 04:38:37 PM »
Hahaha.. I found that pair of those Adidas. Believe it or not these were huge in the NYC street skateboarding scene of the late eighties.. just as big as these dunks.

Ha.. these shoes cost $20 dollars a pop. If I could go back in time.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 04:41:02 PM by yohimbe718 »

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1272
« Reply #388 on: April 16, 2016, 08:04:09 PM »
greetings girl, and welcome to my world of phrase
im right up to bat
its a Daisy age and youre about to walk top-stage
so wipe your Lottos on the mat
-one of my favorite lines. why doesnt Lotto get in the skate shoe game? strike while the irons hot.

twas a proud awkward moment with tight pants shaggy hair pimply face and big boat ass burnt orange fallens. cheifs i think ;) probably high school.
also had a pair of fallen chris cole signature white jeans. id still wear those now that i think of it.
maybe had a pair of slashes years later.
didnt ride the sky have serious copyright issues? dope video. gilberts part!

you know it is a bummer but yes like many have said fallen did not seem to do much to keep up with the corporate joneses. look at the output of footage and diversity of team riders from cons. fuck man i really enjoy all the cons(and poalr for that matter)edits, but its bittersweet knowing that its nike in a mask.

you cant argue that the big boys have been playing their cards right.
ive never bought nikes...dont plan to. $80 shoes never truly spoke to me.
when i first went to skatepark of tampa and saw nike sb's straight up shrinkwrapped, i really was bewildered and did not understand why nikes were wrapped in fucking plastic on the shoe wall at a skatepark. pathetic. well, go in the park and then you see why, decked the fuck out in sb. not littered with stickers like all the chaotic 411 videos i grew up loving, all nike. and some obey shit was wheatpasted on the other small side with the bowl(dont know if thats even there anymore).

i did work at a shop however, and little ones would come in asking for "Jakowskis" "Jerowskis" and so on. $80 minimum mommy and daddy shell it out. most of these grommits did not skate. almost daily for months we send a pair of swooshes out the door. if not equal to than more than vans. and we sold a shiiiiiitload of vans.
now i also experienced people asking for rob dyrdeks dc skateboard. but thats neither here nor there.

i will attest that it seems as if some of these companies "give back" to skateboarding; as it was mentioned cons having workshops. nike paying certain ams or squads or filmers(johnny wilson?) what adidas does i cant say.

but does the good outweigh the bad?

shit i dont know but after 13 pages of comments(yup, read um all) + a jenkem interview i feel like i have a better understanding of the situation as a whole.
to me, seeing a big ass swoosh on someones feet is goofy as shit, no matter how rad you are that logo sticks out like a sore thumb. you can make ishod front feeble a 92 stair and i still wont want to buy nikes.
how long has the gonz addidas relationship been around? i feel like i read hes been with them a very long time but i may be mistaken.
so what do you do?
you dont want to end up with a homogenous shoe game! look at how fucked the media is! three main sources.
but stepping into a pair of hufs that blatently say "made in china" on the footbed doesnt feel great either.
where are emericas made?
why did adio die?
why wont osiris die?
does james hardy have a shoe sponsor?
c1 denim making a comeback?
why did 88 die; was that skater owned?
vita! who started that?
savier...who wouldve thought youd come back to haunt us all.

where do we go from here?
capitalism might be the real issue but im not trying to stir that pot.

footwear that works sounds exciting. looking forward to something...else

lets form a union.
anti nike.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 08:29:34 PM by smellsdead »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #389 on: April 16, 2016, 08:57:51 PM »
Decks, Wheels, hardware, and bearings is what we need to protect.. forget about fighting about the rest. And seriously.. the drink sponsorships? Who cares.
Nike, Adidas and such would never enter that market. The margins aren't there for massive profits and they have to set up an entirely new set of factories, expanding from running shoes (which you make enmasse), into a slightly different form of athletic shoe is insanely easy. Its also been shown new "technology" in decks rarely, if ever increases sales. Shoes and athletic gear will always be easy for them to create massive margins on. As a Canadian I obviously remember when Nike entered (and later Adidas) entered the hockey market, Nike left fairly quickly, and Adidas is still hanging around under the Reebok moniker, production of equipment for a niche market just wasn't profitable enough. To wear Janoski's you don't have to skate, in many ways skating (and limited edition aspects of SB) get customers to buy skate related products they never would buy otherwise. Only Vans has really been able to enter that market and last awhile out of the skate shoe companies which is probably why they seem to be the healthiest of brands that started off as skate shoes. Osiris probably made a fortune off rave kids and people wanting loud back packs, I'm sure those guys weren't stressing being core when they were cashing those checks. Same with Etnies and white trash.