Author Topic: State footwear.  (Read 93085 times)

perverted super otaku!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: State footwear.
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2016, 06:03:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Well, that was underwelming a best. I only like the Salem black/black. The dekline vibe is undeniable, habitat had sicker designs than those. So many canvas shoes on the first run is risky as fuck too.
I was hoping that they came with simple shoes but nice details. They came with simple shoes with no details = borring shoes.
I hope they change something in the next seasons but in the meanwhile, Give me a job, i can do it better (ahah)
[close]

This. Having admired your designs on the shoe design thread, I couldn't agree more. State's designs appear halfhearted at best. Good luck to them though. The name and the team have potential.
[close]

Thanks dude! I think i will design a shoe and send it to them to hear what they think. They could like it.
I second this, get S.K.A.T.A.N on the case, don't forget the little people, and come strong with a vegan Vaporwave inspired colourway for your boy  ;)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2016, 08:14:08 AM »
Yeah it's not easy to do, but when I think of smaller companies that make an impact it's coming up with something newer....ie. Huf took off when the toecap hit.....Ipath with grasshoppers because though they are rip offs, they are newer to what was current...the luxury you have now is you can dip into the archives and people might get stoked on it.....

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2016, 08:23:43 AM »
Sales decline as demand has fallen.

From the ashes of one mediocre shoe company, another rises.

maybe they should ask VOX how they've managed to hold on

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2016, 08:37:46 AM »
Sounds like they're gonna have a pretty rad team that'll market to a more core audience. Don't know if that'll sustain a brand, but it's good to see Gore, Coakley, Maalouf, etc. hooked up. Not really feeling any of these shoes, though. Kind of reminds me of Beloe.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2016, 09:02:19 AM »
Although the initial catalog looks a tad bland, most of those shoes are certainly wearable and I'm extremely stoked that these dudes are getting hooked up. A huge downfall of companies like Fallen is that they lost touch with what the overall market wanted, both team-wise and shoe-wise. The fact that whoever's behind State knows there's a huge, unheard demographic in skateboarding (those seeking skater-owned AND a "Theories" influence, for lack of a better term) indicates to me that they'll have no problem adapting and evolving as the brand grows.

Also, let's be real, guys, can you think of any initial offering from a shoe brand that was extremely strong? Seems like people are just fishing for reasons to hate.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2016, 09:20:31 AM »
Although the initial catalog looks a tad bland, most of those shoes are certainly wearable and I'm extremely stoked that these dudes are getting hooked up. A huge downfall of companies like Fallen is that they lost touch with what the overall market wanted, both team-wise and shoe-wise. The fact that whoever's behind State knows there's a huge, unheard demographic in skateboarding (those seeking skater-owned AND a "Theories" influence, for lack of a better term) indicates to me that they'll have no problem adapting and evolving as the brand grows.

Also, let's be real, guys, can you think of any initial offering from a shoe brand that was extremely strong? Seems like people are just fishing for reasons to hate.

Well, this is not exactly a shoe starting from the ground... The persons involved in this have experience from past brands so that's not a excuse to release a bunch of boring shoes that dont bring nothing new to the table. Habitat footwear had a strong first entry... http://www.hookit.com/members/youwillsoon/news/habitat-footwear/

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2016, 09:36:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well, this is not exactly a shoe starting from the ground... The persons involved in this have experience from past brands so that's not a excuse to release a bunch of boring shoes that dont bring nothing new to the table. Habitat footwear had a strong first entry... http://www.hookit.com/members/youwillsoon/news/habitat-footwear/

A chukka rip off, a half cab rip off, and a dunk rip off, and a hiking/running shoe was a strong first line?

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2016, 09:49:10 AM »
If they're inexpensive I'm down, any word on pricing?

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2016, 10:10:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

A chukka rip off, a half cab rip off, and a dunk rip off, and a hiking/running shoe was a strong first line?

So do you want them to reinvent the wheel? Every shoe takes inspiration from other shoes and those arent even that blatant rip-offs...
They look like they had some thought into it unlike the State ones that look like some standard shoe silhouettes.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2016, 11:37:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

So do you want them to reinvent the wheel? Every shoe takes inspiration from other shoes and those arent even that blatant rip-offs...
They look like they had some thought into it unlike the State ones that look like some standard shoe silhouettes.

No I didn't want Habitat shoes to reinvent the wheel. I never even wanted Habitat shoes. I agree that it's a less generic offering than State, but I think part of it is that Habitat had a preexisting identity when the shoes came out, so that influenced a lot of things from creativity to market perception. I just find it odd that you're bemoaning State for a lack of creativity in design but then praising Habitat for the same lack of creativity.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:40:05 AM by Makaveli »

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2016, 11:46:16 AM »
Was talking about this with Art Hellman a few weeks back...Habitat had some of their best stuff right before the Pac-Vector debacle. The shoes they had on sample were great looking but never made it to production. I'll post pics later, but I got their Yuma boot (cupsole mid) and Vista low right before they were gone for good. Both were/are great shoes.

And not for nothing, that Habitat Guru Hi was/is timeless. I'm sure it was expensive to produce with a custom die and so forth but it was a great skate shoe and really nice looking.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2016, 12:41:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

No I didn't want Habitat shoes to reinvent the wheel. I never even wanted Habitat shoes. I agree that it's a less generic offering than State, but I think part of it is that Habitat had a preexisting identity when the shoes came out, so that influenced a lot of things from creativity to market perception. I just find it odd that you're bemoaning State for a lack of creativity in design but then praising Habitat for the same lack of creativity.

No, the lack of creativity from those 2 brands isnt even on pair.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2016, 06:10:28 PM »
So the State catalog is generic and bland, but Habitat can't be expected to reinvent the wheel? ha, okay.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2016, 06:27:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Holy shit, I actually REALLY like the Mercer.
[close]

Not to be confused with the Huf Mercer.

....which for some reason, I ALSO really like, haha.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2016, 07:06:12 PM »
So the State catalog is generic and bland, but Habitat can't be expected to reinvent the wheel? ha, okay.

So you want some robot looking shoes?? Skateboarders dont like big changes (aka reinvent the wheel)... You need to work with what you already got and bring something new here and there. Habitat shoes had plenty details that made them not look like every other shoe out there even if they got one or other similar silhouette. Even the sole was not just a herringbone pattern, and actually had some thought into it. They were not just a generic silhouette with a vulc sole like this state catalog. Sometimes i thing you guys are blind.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2016, 07:57:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So you want some robot looking shoes?? Skateboarders dont like big changes (aka reinvent the wheel)... You need to work with what you already got and bring something new here and there. Habitat shoes had plenty details that made them not look like every other shoe out there even if they got one or other similar silhouette. Even the sole was not just a herringbone pattern, and actually had some thought into it. They were not just a generic silhouette with a vulc sole like this state catalog. Sometimes i thing you guys are blind.

But we're just talking about Habitat initial shoe release, not what they ended up doing. They ended up with some decent shoes. Guru's shoe was sick. Honestly, other than the chukka ripoff, every shoe in that first catalog looks like Praxis made it.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2016, 10:28:00 PM »
If they put Uncle Freddy on I'd but a pair.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Olabade

• Rep: -46
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2016, 11:03:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In the end skaters didn't dig the Habitat designs enough to keep them in business.

I personally think that most iconic and best selling skate shoes are designwise super simple. If I go to a skatepark near me I will definately see a lot of adi-ease, janoski, cons cts, vans slip on and era. Hell I think the most common cupsole is emerica laced. All of them super simple. Of course there are also some new and more complex looking stuff but those come and go. The simple desings seem to stand the test of time better.

Do you think Koston 3 or westgate runnertoe shove will be around in three years? Not saying they're bad shoes.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2016, 11:34:49 PM »
If the shoes follow the pants....I think....white Stan smiths, Rod Lavers.....that's where it's going....

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2016, 02:39:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

In the end skaters didn't dig the Habitat designs enough to keep them in business.

I personally think that most iconic and best selling skate shoes are designwise super simple. If I go to a skatepark near me I will definately see a lot of adi-ease, janoski, cons cts, vans slip on and era. Hell I think the most common cupsole is emerica laced. All of them super simple. Of course there are also some new and more complex looking stuff but those come and go. The simple desings seem to stand the test of time better.

Do you think Koston 3 or westgate runnertoe shove will be around in three years? Not saying they're bad shoes.

People dont bought habitat simply because of their name... It was like element shoes, Nobody wants a deck/shoe company. It feels strange to skate a whatever deck brand and then habitat shoes, call it an OCD i dont know, i dont like it either. That and the limited team. They were cursed from the start in my opinion.

And tech shoes appeal to different niche of people that dont want the same looking shoe and want progress. If they last in the line? I dont know. I do know you need to make things interesting, so why Dekline folded? Because every shoe they had was like every other simple shoe out there, they were bland. Simpler designs stand the test of time if they are authentic. People want authenticy and not straight knock-ofs.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2016, 02:45:12 AM »
The more I come back and check that catalog, the more I like it. I could wear the mercer.  I know producing lasts is way more money than a vulc shoe, but at least one cup would have been nice.

And I don't know if this has been pointed out, but those are all pretty much canvas...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 02:50:36 AM by Level 60 Dwarf Paladin »
you never know about pre-cum 

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2016, 04:36:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think Habitats initial shoe offering was excellent business wise. They released a line of super diverse models which enabled them to find what their target market was most interested in and then refine the line for the coming seasons. Of course certain styles always always do well but when branching off an existing brand (like Habitat did from boards to shoes) your first customers will likely be people who are already fans of the existing brand, so while Habitat wasn't excluded from the market as a whole, a lot of their business was going to come from a specific group of people, I.E. Eco loving naturalist types who already feel a strong connection to Habitat.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

Olabade

• Rep: -46
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2016, 07:29:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

People dont bought habitat simply because of their name... It was like element shoes, Nobody wants a deck/shoe company. It feels strange to skate a whatever deck brand and then habitat shoes, call it an OCD i dont know, i dont like it either. That and the limited team. They were cursed from the start in my opinion.

And tech shoes appeal to different niche of people that dont want the same looking shoe and want progress. If they last in the line? I dont know. I do know you need to make things interesting, so why Dekline folded? Because every shoe they had was like every other simple shoe out there, they were bland. Simpler designs stand the test of time if they are authentic. People want authenticy and not straight knock-ofs.

Totally agree on everything. And tech shoes being a niche within skateboarding shoemarket, it would be a risky investment for a new start up to start their line with.

Also I bet every shoe company wants to design a simple, authentic and original skate shoe, it is just extremely hard.

Deepern0ah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2016, 11:27:19 AM »

Totally agree on everything. And tech shoes being a niche within skateboarding shoemarket, it would be a risky investment for a new start up to start their line with.

Also I bet every shoe company wants to design a simple, authentic and original skate shoe, it is just extremely hard.

I didnt say they should have tech shoes... I know thats not their goal at all. Ahah I dont see this brand appealing to tech dudes, at least for now. I say just some variety would be good, a cupsole here and there, maybe a rubber toe too, clean designs of course. And yeah, a simple, authentic and original skate shoe is hard as fuck to do because almost all the simple lines that work are already taken.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2016, 11:46:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

When he was on Tim O'Connor's podcast, Castrucci said that Habitat Footwear was actually doing really well and was helping pay for a lot of stuff at Habitat.  It got shuttered because it was too much to cover with all of the ongoing shifts between ownership.

zippy z

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2016, 12:10:53 PM »
From the address it looks like it has a store front in a strip mall/apartment building. Weird. Anyone in SD going to go have a look?

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2016, 12:50:13 PM »
Holiday catalog looks good as well. Good to see a full photo of the team so you know who's involved. Jordan Sanchez! I'll buy all that shit.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2016, 10:11:54 PM »
https://issuu.com/statefootwear/docs/state_holiday2016_catalog_issuu

The Salem in blue/orange/white is nice. The Hudson in the same colourway and the Baxley as well.

Great team, good name, clean aesthetic, if the shoes are developed a bit more it could be a success. I'm sure they could with Castrucci's eye. I slept on Habitat shoes but in retrospect they looked great.

That's true. Semi-related to that is a design idea I have about a slightly more tech hi-top, not quite Lakai Telford but more than the Sk8-Hi. I'd like to see a shoe like that, there just needs to be some new innovative shoes coming out in general. Then maybe the skate shoe industry can revert to what it was in 2000, but probably not.

TheAmericanAntique

• Rep: 9
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2016, 05:41:25 AM »
I just have a feeling, but I feel like state's gonna grow to something really big!