Author Topic: Is Dwindle actaully the best board manufacturer?  (Read 9712 times)

perverted super otaku!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Is Dwindle actaully the best board manufacturer?
« on: April 30, 2016, 05:48:27 AM »
They seem to be the only one that can offer consistent concave by pressing one board per mold. They also use silk-screening for graphics which is more gentle on boards then heat transfers( edit they use heat transfers now).
They get hate but has anyone ever actually got a defective or shitty Dwindle pressed deck?

I always steered clear because of they are made in China, but I think the next board I get will be Dwindle pressed to see if these things translate to a longer lasting better board. Interested to hear your guys thoughts on Dwindle boards

basing this on these videos

http://skateboarding.transworld.net/videos/tested-development-skateboard-manufacturing-dsm/#hTLU8gpHx8F2ilkw.97

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 06:30:53 AM by perverted super otaku! »

BMCsteve

Re: Is Dwindle actaully the best board manufacturer?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 06:07:44 AM »
99% of Dwindle boards are heat transfers now

Their boards are fine.  you will find mixed reviews on them.  The impact stuff actually does work but it only really matters if you break a lot of boards.

Personally I've found in terms of quality and durability the scale is -

South Central -> Pennswood -> BBS -> NHS -> Dwindle -> PS Stix -> Crailtap

After that some of it comes down to preference in feel, shapes and dimensions.  Some people prefer the way china wood feels or the shapes from PS boards, etc

South Central and Pennswood seem to be head and shoulders above the rest.  They're also made in the USA if that matters
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 06:28:56 AM by BMCsteve »

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 06:16:14 AM »
Dwindle boards aren't too bad. Their 8.5 x 32 full concave shape is fantastic though; I'm a big fan

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 06:21:59 AM »

South Central and Pennswood seem to be head and shoulders above the rest.  They're also made in the USA if that matters

You are correct on the heat transfers, they actually even mention it in that 2nd video, my mistake

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 06:43:59 AM »
BMC: I really like BBS/Generator wood.  It feels more stable longer than others.  Who uses South Central and Pennswood? Aren't Scum Co, Politic, and Killing Floor SC?

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 07:08:21 AM »
had a 8.25 resin7 zero last year, was good to ride, a lil too flat but i didn't noticed first, my bad, lasted 3 months of intense skating, the only bad point is that it tends to cheap easy, not like Real, a shock in a ledge and you lose bits of plys, bad wood quality, or too dry i dunno, i'll stick with bbs while i can find them

edit : and oh yeah, when i focused it after a big crack at the rear truck (as always...), it broke in the middle !!!

edit2 : razortail comes faster too

my conclusion, good resin, bad quality wood
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:31:58 AM by the snake »

BMCsteve

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 07:17:20 AM »
BMC: I really like BBS/Generator wood.  It feels more stable longer than others.  Who uses South Central and Pennswood? Aren't Scum Co, Politic, and Killing Floor SC?

Killing Floor is BBS. 

BBS make great boards but if you skate a SC deck for a while you'll see the difference.  SC boards are really rigid which takes a minute to get used to but then they never get soggy.  I have a Norhern Co that I've been skating on and off for a couple of months and the damn thing feels brand new.  Very hard to razortail as well for some reason. 

Pennswood has a little more flex to them than SC (which is not a bad thing).  They're very high quality boards but whatever SC is doing is magic

South Central is Northern Co, Politic, Bacon, Colony, etc

Pennswood is Scumco, Terror Of Planet X, American Nomad, etc.

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 07:28:08 AM »
had a 8.25 resin7 zero last year, was good to ride, a lil too flat but i didn't noticed first, my bad, lasted 3 months of intense skating, the only bad point is that it tends to cheap easy, not like Real, a shock in a ledge and you lose bits of plys, bad wood quality, or too dry i dunno, i'll stick with bbs while i can find them

edit : and oh yeah, when i focused it after a big crack at the rear truck, it broke in the middle !!!
Hahaha I had to read this like 5 times to even begin to understand what you're trying to saying. wtf is a shock in a ledge?
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 07:32:05 AM »
I skate them because they work better for me for certain tricks. I don't skate the resin7. No complaints here. I have four completes that get regularly skated and rotated because that's how I choose to do this skateboarding thing.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 07:36:51 AM »
Expand Quote

edit : and oh yeah, when i focused it after a big crack at the rear truck, it broke in the middle !!!
[close]
Hahaha I had to read this like 5 times to even begin to understand what you're trying to saying. wtf is a shock in a ledge?
sorry, i'm french, i meant the board tends to explode easily

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 07:39:48 AM »
when you accidentally throw it in a ledge after missing a fucking trick and falling...yeah i'm high

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 08:08:20 AM »
I have a few friends that mostly skate dwindle boards, I had a Cliche last year, it felt legit, but i only used it for like 3 sessions.
I always thought the hate was kinda lame, MAde in china is a bummer, but every deck pressed the same is great.

I wish PS stix did one at a time.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 08:40:42 AM »

Their boards are fine.  you will find mixed reviews on them.  The impact stuff actually does work but it only really matters if you break a lot of boards.

After that some of it comes down to preference in feel, shapes and dimensions.  Some people prefer the way china wood feels or the shapes from PS boards, etc

I would put chapman in front of all of those but thats just me !

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 08:48:42 AM »
Dwindle OK but very gimmicky

Mongoloid

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 08:57:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No issues here with Dwindle as far as quality is concerned. The single press deck's are some of my favorite's to skate these days (Have two complete zero's), and seem to hold up as well as anything else out there. I second the notion of Chapman! I feel like they have always historically produced quality decks, but don't get hyped up nearly enough.

I've never had a bad Zoo York or 5Boro (still produced by Chapman?).

Hannity

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 09:15:14 AM »
i bought a discount Zero deck from active a month or two ago and when i got it, it had already de-lammed. but i didn't have the time or effort to send it back, even though they would have probably given me a brand new one. so, i don't buy discount wood from active anymore and i stay away from Dwindle from now on.

like Steve and others have said, once you feel the difference of SC boards, it's hard to go back.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 09:35:03 AM »
Dwindle boards are trash

I've stepped the nose off one too many times just missing shuv its on flat to consider buying one ever again.

Been on a south central kick the past few years. Chapman and Pennswood both make fine quality products too.

alecjahr

• Rep: -109
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 11:41:15 AM »
When I was flow for almost I fucking loved skating impact boards I had a falling out with the rep so I quit sending in footy and stopped skating or telling any thing almost maybe it's time I give them another shot.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 01:18:06 PM »
I'm sure their manufacturing process is fine. The impact stuff really works too, had an enjoi impact I found on sale and that shit kept its pop and stayed super crispy the whole time I had it. The problem I have with dwindle is that the wood sucks, they always chip, crack and razor tail way too quickly. That undermines the benefits of the impact tech in some ways. I feel like if that impact board was made with DLX wood or something, I'd be able to skate it forever. Regular dwindle boards feel fine, but just don't last, in my experience at least.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 03:33:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Killing Floor is BBS. 

BBS make great boards but if you skate a SC deck for a while you'll see the difference.  SC boards are really rigid which takes a minute to get used to but then they never get soggy.  I have a Norhern Co that I've been skating on and off for a couple of months and the damn thing feels brand new.  Very hard to razortail as well for some reason. 

Pennswood has a little more flex to them than SC (which is not a bad thing).  They're very high quality boards but whatever SC is doing is magic

Northern Co is generator or bbs now.

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 05:53:08 PM »
I like Chapman and PS Stix best

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 06:04:21 PM »

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 08:46:01 PM »
I have an impact plus with 2 complaints, I got a size smaller than usual and the concave for these boards is on the flatter size. It helps.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

BMCsteve

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 09:39:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Killing Floor is BBS. 

[close]
Northern Co is generator or bbs now.

Not unless BBS is somehow manufacturing in the US now

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 11:30:01 PM »
I just grabbed one of those birds of prey boards...pretty sure not BBS....

Something different about them is the bevel...should make no difference on boards but I find it does mentally.....

Yeah I'd throw the chapman boards in the mix if you don't mind a bit of a clunker...they are indestructible though...

I skated dwindle boards...nothing wrong with them....but if I can avoid China I try to and honestly..a BBS or a PS Stix are decent and have better brands.....

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 11:55:28 PM »
The single deck pressing is really a monumental improvement and should become an industry standard.

There's nothing worse than getting the same deck but having it feel and ride differently because of its position in the stack.

If you do get a DSM deck, make sure to go with a pro deck and not a pricepoint model.

IHeelflip

• Rep: -1
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 12:21:44 AM »
Personally, I don't really care for Dwindle. I've snapped a few Almosts.

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 07:13:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

No issues here with Dwindle as far as quality is concerned. The single press deck's are some of my favorite's to skate these days (Have two complete zero's), and seem to hold up as well as anything else out there. I second the notion of Chapman! I feel like they have always historically produced quality decks, but don't get hyped up nearly enough.

I've never had a bad Zoo York or 5Boro (still produced by Chapman?).
5boro was south central not china but just did another run with south central....I dont think its going to be a regular thing unfortunately. Zoo for as far as I know has moved over to china

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 08:42:57 PM »

drunkenshredder

• Rep: -135
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2016, 07:36:46 AM »
I've rescreened a couple dwindle boards with a heat transfer machine and was surprised at the sounds the board made. It sounded like firecrackers. Someone told me they use sound waves to cure the glue which leaves pockets in the glue. I've never ridden one but based off the sounds i'd be hesitant to buy one.