Author Topic: Japanese Metal/Hardcore/Other  (Read 6574 times)

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Japanese Metal/Hardcore/Other
« on: May 12, 2016, 09:02:20 AM »
A couple mentions of Japanese bands in the "Bands You've Seen Recently" thread made me curious as to why bands from Japan don't have their own. I'm hoping someone posts something cool I haven't heard. NO BABYMETAL.

S.O.B. - Raging in Hell
Corrupted - Gekkou No Daichi
Church of Misery - Shotgun Boogie
The boredoms live in new york
GAUZE - Equalizing Distort 12''(FULL)
THE STALIN - Stop Jap (1982) Full Album

Grind King Rims

Re: Japanese Metal/Hardcore/Other
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 09:40:55 AM »
well if you've heard of gauze and SOB you've probably heard of GISM, Bastard and D-Clone.

These are cool too. I only know of them because I also had a hardcore band called Golem.

golem sadness

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 09:41:59 AM »
Coffins.
you never know about pre-cum 

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 02:49:22 PM »
Peelander Z - live 9-19-2013 - Mad Tiger

Seriously one of the funnest bands to see live ever.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 03:26:29 PM »
well if you've heard of gauze and SOB you've probably heard of GISM, Bastard and D-Clone.

These are cool too. I only know of them because I also had a hardcore band called Golem.

golem sadness
Yup, and I've seen all but Gism live too. Not a huge D-Beat guy, but D-Clone fucking ruled (if they actually count). That Golem shit was pretty tight, but I can't find anything else by them. Apparently there's a Straight Edge "Powerviolence" band called Golem from Barcelona too. Either way, this thread is paying off.
Coffins.
Coffins rules. Honestly, I've always been more into Japanese Hardcore (I was getting into it in the early 2000s when Japan had shit loads of sick Hardcore. Total Fury, Jellyroll Rockheads, Exclaim, etc.) but I'm pretty lame in regards to Japanese Metal. Vomit Remnants, Church of Misery, Sigh, Coffins, not much else.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 11:34:09 AM »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkyxTr572zQ

In my opinion, it's pretty hard to surpass D-BEAT RAW PUNK. It may as well be a cover album, but the intensity is out of control.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 02:02:54 PM »
Bastard - No Hope In Here (FULL ALBUM)
BASTARD - Wind Of Pain [FULL ALBUM]

I know some of you guys brought them up already, but, Bastard was the first JP punk/hardcore(whatever you want to say) band I heard.  They blew my mind.

chirs

• Rep: 1
  • i have diarrhea every single day
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 09:46:15 PM »
great japanese blackened thrash

Sabbat - The Melody Of Death Mask

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 01:16:59 AM »
While many jump on the Japanese crust/ HC bandwagon I think a lot of the time it is an overrated one (of course there ARE exceptions).
So that should be enough to start a 10 page discussion right? :P Devils advocate question - would you still cricle jerk the same 10 Japanese bands if they weren't Japanese?
Having said that, I do dig a lot of Japanese music. Some faves/ mainstayers: (well edit in some links when I'm bored at work)

Mind Of Asian - their second EP CRUSHES! Listen to the first track, if you're not hooked by the end of it then I think you need to just toss it in already
Mind Of Asian - Chinmoku No Kiri No Naka
Boris - c'mon this ones a given right?
Gallhammer - not the biggest black metal fan out there but they seem to be able to pull it off pretty well for 3 girls living in Tokyo (hypocritical of me to say so though I guess? I doubt I'd even give them a second chance if they were some random band out of Norway ???)
Melt Banana - did I even need to mention them?
ni-hao! - one of the best live bands I've ever seen. So much fun
ニーハオ! --- Look At That (Peach)-3.2.1.0!expros
Turtle Island - perhaps my fav Japanese band ever. Hard to describe but basically Japanese tribal punk that mixes in some trad Japanese instruments too! Their first e.p. was recorded in a fucking forest. Punx is Hippies!!!
TURTLE ISLAND「この世讃歌」-Video Edit Version-
Chopper also used them in his Heroin part too!!

Anyone out there like Japanese hip-hop?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 06:19:47 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 06:20:02 AM »
  Death Side.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 09:08:16 AM »
While many jump on the Japanese crust/ HC bandwagon I think a lot of the time it is an overrated one (of course there ARE exceptions).
So that should be enough to start a 10 page discussion right? :P Devils advocate question - would you still cricle jerk the same 10 Japanese bands if they weren't Japanese?
Having said that, I do dig a lot of Japanese music. Some faves/ mainstayers: (well edit in some links when I'm bored at work)

Mind Of Asian - their second EP CRUSHES! Listen to the first track, if you're not hooked by the end of it then I think you need to just toss it in already
Mind Of Asian - Chinmoku No Kiri No Naka
Boris - c'mon this ones a given right?
Gallhammer - not the biggest black metal fan out there but they seem to be able to pull it off pretty well for 3 girls living in Tokyo (hypocritical of me to say so though I guess? I doubt I'd even give them a second chance if they were some random band out of Norway ???)
Melt Banana - did I even need to mention them?
ni-hao! - one of the best live bands I've ever seen. So much fun
ニーハオ! --- Look At That (Peach)-3.2.1.0!expros
Turtle Island - perhaps my fav Japanese band ever. Hard to describe but basically Japanese tribal punk that mixes in some trad Japanese instruments too! Their first e.p. was recorded in a fucking forest. Punx is Hippies!!!
TURTLE ISLAND「この世讃歌」-Video Edit Version-
Chopper also used them in his Heroin part too!!

Anyone out there like Japanese hip-hop?

I disagree, depends on which bands, I fucking hate Boris, and my old roommate was from Japan and was into a bit of Japanese Hip-Hop, some was actually pretty good, some was hilarious.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 06:39:15 PM »
I disagree, depends on which bands, I fucking hate Boris, and my old roommate was from Japan and was into a bit of Japanese Hip-Hop, some was actually pretty good, some was hilarious.

I guess we'll never know but I still think it (being from Japan) gives bands + 5 cool points which is actually stupid when you think about it.
You hate Boris? Well I'm guessing you're in the minority there but hey, I hate Crow and tonnes of other crust/ HxC bands that so many seem to worship. I mean (and this is despite my username; actually my username is kind of a joke, a joke I wish I could change now) I don't even think G.I.S.M are *that* good

*collective gasp* right?

That's like the equivalent of saying you don't like Gino's style on SLAP right? Opinions are like arseholes and all that jazz though...

Japanese hip hop, like pretty much every other genre of music out there, is very hit or miss. I really dug Dragon Ash back in the day because they were basically like the beastie boys of Japan and then I got turned on to some more underground stuff like the blue herb etc.
It's a great language for hip hop though with lots of room to play with words/ meanings (I guess this is true with with most languages though). Groups like schadaraparr (スチャダラパー) are masters of this
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 06:46:03 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 05:17:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I guess we'll never know but I still think it (being from Japan) gives bands + 5 cool points which is actually stupid when you think about it.
You hate Boris? Well I'm guessing you're in the minority there but hey, I hate Crow and tonnes of other crust/ HxC bands that so many seem to worship. I mean (and this is despite my username; actually my username is kind of a joke, a joke I wish I could change now) I don't even think G.I.S.M are *that* good

*collective gasp* right?

That's like the equivalent of saying you don't like Gino's style on SLAP right? Opinions are like arseholes and all that jazz though...

Japanese hip hop, like pretty much every other genre of music out there, is very hit or miss. I really dug Dragon Ash back in the day because they were basically like the beastie boys of Japan and then I got turned on to some more underground stuff like the blue herb etc.
It's a great language for hip hop though with lots of room to play with words/ meanings (I guess this is true with with most languages though). Groups like schadaraparr (スチャダラパー) are masters of this
I agree with you there.
I think it's just that people like shit from other countries, Japan just so happens to have a lot of output that for some reason is pretty accessible to people in the U.S. compared to other countries (maybe due to those +5 cool points you mentioned?). Italian, Brazilian, and Swedish Hardcore were always huge where I was from, too.
But yeah, with Boris I tried out a couple of their albums with Merzbow (who i am a huge fan of) and was left pretty underwhelmed. Gave them a second chance when that pink album came out and genuinely disliked it. They ushered in the era of Pitchfork Metal.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 02:52:42 PM »
I have to agree that GISM are definitely overhyped, there's a lot better Japanese hardcore bands. The flamethrowers and chainsaws at the live shows helped, and there's a million stories tied to their Yakuza connections, ie burning down record stores carrying gism bootlegs, something about stabbing on a subway train...They're definitely good, but they're not the end-all-be-all.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 03:39:58 PM »
I have to agree that GISM are definitely overhyped, there's a lot better Japanese hardcore bands. The flamethrowers and chainsaws at the live shows helped, and there's a million stories tied to their Yakuza connections, ie burning down record stores carrying gism bootlegs, something about stabbing on a subway train...They're definitely good, but they're not the end-all-be-all.

I agree about GISM as well. I actually enjoy their second more metal album much more than the hardcore stuff.  They're more of a folklore band with Sakevi and whatnot.  Gauze are light years better, as are S.O.B. and Lipcream.

The thing I've noticed with Japanese bands is they have a tendency to "perform" live, if that makes sense.  They don't just show up and tune their instruments between every song, basically practicing in front of your face.  They overdo it with the energy levels which can make some of the craziest, most exciting shows I've ever seen. 

I remember seeing the King Brothers a long time ago... they're a decent enough garage band but the live show was through the roof.  I don't think I've ever seen anybody bring that level of energy and fun before.  Most of the Japanese garage/punk bands I've seen live have been equally as amazing.

Italian hardcore is still where it's at, though.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 05:25:35 PM »
The thing I've noticed with Japanese bands is they have a tendency to "perform" live, if that makes sense.  They don't just show up and tune their instruments between every song, basically practicing in front of your face.  They overdo it with the energy levels which can make some of the craziest, most exciting shows I've ever seen. 

Electric Eel Shock put on a really good show. I don't care for their music at all, at all, but they played the venue I work at last year and people lost their minds. Everyone was walking around in their merch that night, and that never happens here.

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 05:59:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree about GISM as well. I actually enjoy their second more metal album much more than the hardcore stuff.  They're more of a folklore band with Sakevi and whatnot.  Gauze are light years better, as are S.O.B. and Lipcream.

I remember seeing the King Brothers a long time ago... they're a decent enough garage band but the live show was through the roof.  I don't think I've ever seen anybody bring that level of energy and fun before.  Most of the Japanese garage/punk bands I've seen live have been equally as amazing.

Italian hardcore is still where it's at, though.

Yes, and yes.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 07:30:54 PM »

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't circle jerk G.I.S.M as the be all/ end all of Japanese hardcore/ punk/ metal/ thrash et. al.
Honestly, I'd like to see a mythbusters episode on Sakevi as a lot of his antics are completely blown out of proportion (i.e. it wasn't an actual flame thrower ffs). Sure he was doing some fucked up shit at the time but most of the stories you hear are 3rd hand lost-in-translation hand me downs.
I haven't heard the yakuza stories (feel free to add them to this thread though because I love how out of hand this shit can get) but it has been confirmed that the guy from Battle of Disarm did have some pretty heavy connections back in the day which is kinda strange for a group of crusty peace-punx. Anyway, the folklore thing sort of adds to the bands appeal but that's exactly what it is: a bunch of un-confirmed rumors.

Good point about bands giving it their all when they perform over here. Definitely give 150% even on a bad day.
I'll give you all a good gauze story when I've got a few spare minutes at work k?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 07:36:36 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 08:32:14 PM »
Devils advocate question - would you still cricle jerk the same 10 Japanese bands if they weren't Japanese?

There's a distinct tinge to Japanese hardcore that you can identify. It's not just an addendum that you heard this band was from Japan, and thus, more interesting. Though really, isn't that an interesting enough tidbit to get you curious as to what somebody on the other side of the world into the same music as you is doing?

To answer your question, I'd argue that there are American bands who have identified the style enough that they try to start their own "Japanese" hardcore bands, who I like. World Burns to Death, for instance. So yes, I'd say so.

World Burns To Death - Totalitarian Sodomy (Full Album)

Regarding GISM, my timeline may be off here, but in addition to folklore, they were among the first to do what these bands were doing, no? You might not dig Discharge today, but it's foolish to discount what they've done for a lot of bands you like. Same for GISM. And try not to get stoked off of Sakevi's voice and the guitar shreddage in their recent reunion show:

G.I.S.M. live @ Roadburn festival 2016

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 09:37:08 PM »
Went and saw Atmosfear a bunch of times back in the day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHxb-nZYJW0

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 10:06:40 PM »
There's a distinct tinge to Japanese hardcore that you can identify. It's not just an addendum that you heard this band was from Japan, and thus, more interesting. Though really, isn't that an interesting enough tidbit to get you curious as to what somebody on the other side of the world into the same music as you is doing?

To answer your question, I'd argue that there are American bands who have identified the style enough that they try to start their own "Japanese" hardcore bands, who I like. World Burns to Death, for instance. So yes, I'd say so.

Regarding GISM, my timeline may be off here, but in addition to folklore, they were among the first to do what these bands were doing, no? You might not dig Discharge today, but it's foolish to discount what they've done for a lot of bands you like. Same for GISM. And try not to get stoked off of Sakevi's voice and the guitar shreddage in their recent reunion show:

Look don't get me wrong, and remember I was playing devil's advocate, Japanese HC certainly has it's place and its own sound. I just can't stand weaboo-like HC/ punk fans who circle jerk EVERYTHING that comes out of Japan. And yes, there are bands that clone jap hc o/s too because they identified with that certain style (we have quite a few in Aus too), I have no problem with that. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to say "I think a certain 3rd generation dis-/d-beat clone is a boring band" without 100 Burning Spirits warriors coming to attack you like it's Ninja Gaiden.

GISM had their place and they certainly influenced literally 1000s of bands, make no mistake. Maybe their overall "appeal" is lost on me because I didn't own detestation in 1984 I don't know... maybe it's because I identified more with crass' version of punk as opposed to some mythical creature in Japan screaming in broken English about "syphlitic vaginas" :D Again, I don't hate them per se, I just wanted to chuck some thoughts out there because punk purists would have a field day if I mentioned this on a music related forum.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 05:20:38 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 11:13:35 AM »
No mention of Paintbox?
For shame. "Trip, Trance, and Traveling" is insane.

Disclose, Framtid, Death Side, Lipcream, LSD are all fucking essential, but already mentioned.
Disclose is maybe better than Discharge, meaning they're one of the best bands ever.
I could really do without GISM or Gauze. Too metallic for my tastes.

Not mentioned and underappreciated is Last Bomb:

Last Bomb - S/T (Full)

P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 11:16:39 AM »
Oh, The Comes also, duh.

The Comes - No Side (FULL ALBUM)
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 04:21:50 PM »
some others that came to mind...

ZOUO EP The Final Agony 憎悪 CHERRY
(an old band I was in covered Make Love to the Devil)

Execute - Execute (EP 1983)

The Clay - The Middle East Combat Area (FULL EP)

OUTO - I Like Cola

Tom and Boot Boys - Stay Punk

Tranquilizer - Tranquilizer History 85-87(FULL EP)
(their first 7" is mayhem, but all i can find is this full cd retrospective.  as you can tell I like the noisy stuff)

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 07:12:34 PM »
some others that came to mind...

ZOUO EP The Final Agony 憎悪 CHERRY
(an old band I was in covered Make Love to the Devil)

Execute - Execute (EP 1983)

The Clay - The Middle East Combat Area (FULL EP)

OUTO - I Like Cola

Tom and Boot Boys - Stay Punk

Tranquilizer - Tranquilizer History 85-87(FULL EP)
(their first 7" is mayhem, but all i can find is this full cd retrospective.  as you can tell I like the noisy stuff)
A friend of mine bought an original press of that Zouo "7 for a seriously ridiculous amount (somewhere in the 3 to 4 hundred range if I'm not mistaken). Cool record, but I'm content with my shitty, $10 boot.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 07:34:30 PM »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 07:49:38 PM »
Cool record, but I'm content with my shitty, $10 boot.

Yeah, that's my other beef - the prices that some of this shit goes for ::)
I had the R.U.G Deadly Fighter 7" way back when (just because everyone was worshiping it at the time and I happened to pick a reasonably cheap copy of it) and the bidding wars when I sold it were crazy!!!

Anyone out there heard this? https://www.discogs.com/ja/SS-The-Original/release/1678708
I owned it back in the day too. Pretty crazy considering it's dated as 77'

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 08:17:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Cool record, but I'm content with my shitty, $10 boot.
[close]

Yeah, that's my other beef - the prices that some of this shit goes for ::)
I had the R.U.G Deadly Fighter 7" way back when (just because everyone was worshiping it at the time and I happened to pick a reasonably cheap copy of it) and the bidding wars when I sold it were crazy!!!

Anyone out there heard this? https://www.discogs.com/ja/SS-The-Original/release/1678708
I owned it back in the day too. Pretty crazy considering it's dated as 77'
You could get some cash for that one. I heard them on one of the Killed By Death or Bloodstains comps I'm pretty sure. I used to buy those things religiously. I'm happy there's been some cool shit posted in here I haven't heard before.