Author Topic: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap  (Read 398900 times)

Iceman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
Re: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap
« Reply #330 on: May 17, 2016, 07:34:30 PM »
of course the german gets the last part.

poowizard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #331 on: May 17, 2016, 07:37:33 PM »
MC is a G

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #332 on: May 17, 2016, 07:41:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I bet Nike and Adidas have skate stopped ledges at their headquarters.
[close]
This is the best comment.  100% this.  

[close]

I can look into this.

Converse's Boston HQ has some 'stopped ledges  :D

straight

« Reply #333 on: May 17, 2016, 07:41:58 PM »
i see carroll's chesthairs lurking here

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #334 on: May 17, 2016, 07:42:17 PM »
Adidas video post:
The benny/chewy intro with the rotating camera reminded me of this in fully flared for some reason

The Shogun

« Reply #335 on: May 17, 2016, 07:47:41 PM »
Just got home from work, went on Slap, read the Jenkem interview: my thoughts -

I feel no pity for Crailtap, a company that invested actual money and produced product for the Trunk Boyz. Let's read those two words again - Trunk Boyz. Something you would associate with Metal Mulisha.

Pretty Sweet was and I stand by this, one of the worst skate videos I have even seen.

MC should have stayed silent instead of bitching about this on Jenkem.com. Are kidding me Mike? Fuckin sit down with Marc and Rick at some coffee shop and talk about it like men and homies.  

Scott Johnston left the Lakai art department for Adidas. I'm bummed that MJ got kicked off Chocolate like this. I'm officially done caring about Crailtap, no, I was done with Crailtap after Pretty Sweet.

What about all of the other shit with this company in recent years. Why stop here Mike, reveal more, all of the other bullshit. You call Karsten a kook, you know what some kooky shit is, running a company that sets such high expectations that no one can live up to.  Being on Girl or Chocolate is mecca, it's god like, get the fuck out of here.

I grew up watching mouse and Chocolate Tour, I watched those tapes over and over. I was actually happy and content in my own life that Marc Johnson was with Chocolate, I know that seems weird, but cosmically MJ on Chocolate was harmony.

Bye Crailtap, you're unrealistic goals and super star skateboarders and paycuts and other industry bullshit is insignificant to just getting on your board and having a good day.

Maybe I'm biased to Marc, he's always been my favorite skateboarder.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 07:52:42 PM by Sho'Nuff »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #336 on: May 17, 2016, 07:52:18 PM »

I don't think anyone is questioning his ability on the plank with four wheels (carroll included)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1241
« Reply #337 on: May 17, 2016, 07:56:44 PM »
reading all 12 pages paid off
thanks for that link, and of course the opinions

this is the last time i take more than a day off from slap
shame on me

The Shogun

« Reply #338 on: May 17, 2016, 07:57:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't think anyone is questioning his ability on the plank with four wheels (carroll included)

Rightfully so, just got to vent you know.

labor

• Rep: -39
« Reply #339 on: May 17, 2016, 08:00:10 PM »

I feel no pity for Crailtap, a company that invested actual money and produced product for the Trunk Boyz. Let's read those two words again - Trunk Boyz. Something you would associate with Metal Mulisha.

Pretty Sweet was and I stand by this, one of the worst skate videos I have even seen.

MC should have stayed silent instead of bitching about this on Jenkem.com. Are kidding me Mike? Fuckin sit down with Marc and Rick at some coffee shop and talk about it like men and homies.  

Scott Johnston left the Lakai art department for Adidas. I'm bummed that MJ got kicked off Chocolate like this. I'm officially done caring about Crailtap, no, I was done with Crailtap after Pretty Sweet.

What about all of the other shit with this company in recent years. Why stop here Mike, reveal more, all of the other bullshit. You call Karsten a kook, you know what some kooky shit is, running a company that sets such high expectations that no one can live up to.  Being on Girl or Chocolate is mecca, it's god like, get the fuck out of here.

I grew up watching mouse and Chocolate Tour, I watched those tapes over and over. I was actually happy and content in my own life that Marc Johnson was with Chocolate, I know that seems weird, but cosmically MJ on Chocolate was harmony.

Bye Crailtap, you're unrealistic goals and super star skateboarders and paycuts and other industry bullshit is insignificant to just getting on your board and having a good day.

Yeah, it does sound like you're just biased for Marc against all of the other prevailing information, including Marc's holier than thou/self-important posturing in Jenkem just a few years prior. I think the point of the MC interview is that they couldnt handle it over coffee. Marc Johnson did not return calls and lied, and then jumped ship.

But thanks for stopping by.

Xtal.

• Rep: -406
  • Less is more stay pure, stay poor
« Reply #340 on: May 17, 2016, 08:00:55 PM »
welcome to flavour country

the july embargo of marcs departure must have been agreed in order for lakai to sell and
ship a certain amount of shoes to make marcs new model profitable

mike never really went full business in his interview saying how much money crailtap
was going to lose after just releasing a pro model for a skater that doesnt ride for their company

mike bounced from dc after seeing a bad shoe design with his name on it

but marc bounced from lakai after they made and produced the damn shoe

as if crailtap have that kinda money to lose in the first place

also in line with the story about karsten's manager trying to get him on girl
didnt marc try and get on quasi not too long ago, would that be some manger
trying to overhaul marcs look into something edgier and more cool.  Where do you get that from? Marc trying to get on quasi?

Spaced Cadet

« Reply #341 on: May 17, 2016, 08:15:30 PM »

They were... and then Marc fucked them. Then Mike tried to contact him and Marc ignores him.

Scott Johnston left the Lakai art department for Adidas. I'm bummed that MJ got kicked off Chocolate like this.

Scott left, Koston left, Guy Left, yet he isn't bad mouthing them, hmm.... Also Marc already made the choice to not be on Chocolate anymore when he decided to fuck them over.

You call Karsten a kook

He didn't. He called Kasper at Nike a kook for wanting to get Karsten on Girl instead of Element after they stole him after a week on Lakai.

Surprise, he's a hypocrite and apparently a lying asshole. But that doesn't mean you have to hate his skating.

Man I can't wait to hear MJ try and explain all this. If he doesn't say anything at this point then it really must be as bad as it sounds.

Ernie McCracken

• Rep: 35
« Reply #342 on: May 17, 2016, 08:18:51 PM »

MC should have stayed silent instead of bitching about this on Jenkem.com. Are kidding me Mike? Fuckin sit down with Marc and Rick at some coffee shop and talk about it like men and homies. �

What about all of the other shit with this company in recent years. Why stop here Mike, reveal more, all of the other bullshit. You call Karsten a kook, you know what some kooky shit is, running a company that sets such high expectations that no one can live up to. �Being on Girl or Chocolate is mecca, it's god like, get the fuck out of here.

He never said anything bad about Karsten, he was calling out Kaspar at nike for trying to get Karsten on Girl right after he left Lakai for Nike.

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #343 on: May 17, 2016, 08:27:08 PM »
Silas Baxter Neal had my favorite part. Dude is somehow underrated. So well rounded, it's ridiculous. Skating to the Pixies was bonus points.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #344 on: May 17, 2016, 08:30:23 PM »
http://theskateboardmag.com/earned-stripes-daewon-song-and-marc-johnson-join-adidas-skateboarding/

Skateboard mag article behind Daewon and Marc's reasoning for joining adidas
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #345 on: May 17, 2016, 08:30:43 PM »
So now that I am over the shock at how raw that interview was (and finished my grad work), I want to chime in some more...

-The biggest interview in God knows how long was on Jenkem...let that sink in.

-Cant wait to read the unnecessarily convoluted boil the ocean post about this article.

-I'm not going to pass judgement until I hear what MJ has to say. If it was something Adidas snuck in there he is in a hard place, he can't just say "yeah Adidas fucked that up" right when he is getting on. For all we know there was a weird part of the agreement that just didn't sit right with MJ, who the fuck knows. I just can't roll with the hive mentality that MJ is suddenly the biggest kook ever based on an angry rant of a millionaire businessman.

-That said, if everything Carroll said is the whole truth, MJ gotta man up, apologize for it, and move on.

-Speaking of which, what company is going to touch him? Whatever Guy and Koston has cooking up? or Quasi? Skate Mental?

- This also makes me want to revisit the Ty Evans / MJ pretty sweet beef, maybe there were more truth bombs in there than we thought.

- When did Lucas Puig get so buff?

-Blondey McCoy rips, but doesn't he seem like a one-off 'Regular Show' Character?

- The only person who has ever properly skated to Snoop Dogg was Furby in the Deathwish video. Editors always wanna play his Death Row or Neptunes stuff, when his songs on No Limit are probably his most obscure and skate video worthy.

- The mini Palace promo BODIED Away Days
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:43:03 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

Fecal Fury

• Rep: 60
  • 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #346 on: May 17, 2016, 08:33:10 PM »
http://theskateboardmag.com/earned-stripes-daewon-song-and-marc-johnson-join-adidas-skateboarding/

Heated:

When it comes to Marc's reasons for leaving Lakai (and joining adidas, which now has the highest percentage of "Marks" per capita), he plainly isn't concerned with the backlash. The understanding is that people will come to their own conclusions, with the simplest explanation being overwhelmingly popular (the ubiquitous "money talks" popping up on the message boards) and so rudimentary that it highlights how truly ignorant the commentators are. "You know what? Don't make a judgment until you really understand the facts about why somebody would leave a company they were with for fifteen-twenty years," Marc says. "Maybe do a little digging. 'Cause it's a good thing."

Plop

« Reply #347 on: May 17, 2016, 08:33:30 PM »
busenitz, SBN, and Suciu were my favourite parts.

also, my sig.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
« Reply #348 on: May 17, 2016, 08:34:15 PM »

The girlfriend-from-hell analogy rings true for Marc, and he gets a little more specific. "At some point the bullshit wears thin. You've got ideas, and when you outrun the company and you've got all these ideas and the company can't keep up? It's ridiculous," Marc says. "You just talk to somebody who's willing to do these projects, [someone] who is progressive."

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #349 on: May 17, 2016, 08:35:39 PM »
- This also makes me want to revisit the Ty Evans / MJ pretty sweet beef, maybe there were more truth bombs in there than we think.
anyone have a link to that stuff? particularly what ty said about mj.

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #350 on: May 17, 2016, 08:35:56 PM »
Silas Baxter Neal had my favorite part. Dude is somehow underrated. So well rounded, it's ridiculous. Skating to the Pixies was bonus points.

Damn right, his part was really good.

Also isn't it funny that Kaspar at Nike is looking to put Karsten on another team instead of Element, and where does he end up?

Not helping those rumours of Skate Mental being Nike affiliated much.

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #351 on: May 17, 2016, 08:39:03 PM »
Done with Daewon too. He should not be exempt from the shade.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:57:17 PM by sluggers »

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #352 on: May 17, 2016, 08:43:59 PM »
-Blondey McCoy rips, but doesn't he seem like a one-off 'Regular Show' Character?
He seemed like the skateboarding embodiment of Spuds from Trainspotting.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

asakusa75

« Reply #353 on: May 17, 2016, 08:44:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The girlfriend-from-hell analogy rings true for Marc, and he gets a little more specific. "At some point the bullshit wears thin. You've got ideas, and when you outrun the company and you've got all these ideas and the company can't keep up? It's ridiculous," Marc says. "You just talk to somebody who's willing to do these projects, [someone] who is progressive."

What. A . Fucking. Kook.

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #354 on: May 17, 2016, 08:51:43 PM »
Expand Quote
- This also makes me want to revisit the Ty Evans / MJ pretty sweet beef, maybe there were more truth bombs in there than we think.
[close]
anyone have a link to that stuff? particularly what ty said about mj.

If someone can remember Ty's account name on slap, you could probably find it that way.  He was on here defending the angry mob on his role on Pretty Sweet, basically blaming the editing on Feds, complaining about MJ (ironic since I think his Pretty Sweet part is both of their best work), chimed in a little bit on how unreliable Pops was, etc.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:56:19 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

Green Bastard

• Rep: 7
« Reply #355 on: May 17, 2016, 08:54:04 PM »
Can somebody give a medal to whoever selected the music for away days. Perfume Genius was perfect for alec majerus.

Spaced Cadet

« Reply #356 on: May 17, 2016, 08:56:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Heated:

When it comes to Marc's reasons for leaving Lakai (and joining adidas, which now has the highest percentage of "Marks" per capita), he plainly isn't concerned with the backlash. The understanding is that people will come to their own conclusions, with the simplest explanation being overwhelmingly popular (the ubiquitous "money talks" popping up on the message boards) and so rudimentary that it highlights how truly ignorant the commentators are. "You know what? Don't make a judgment until you really understand the facts about why somebody would leave a company they were with for fifteen-twenty years," Marc says. "Maybe do a little digging. 'Cause it's a good thing."

Well Mike dug up some stuff... What do you have to say now Marc?

That other quote is pretty funny not even knowing the context. "I'm just a real ideas man. I really hate it when companies can't keep up with my great ideas. Errrg, why can't they understand my great ideas? So ridiculous. These big companies I hated on for years just seem to get me. They are so progressive."

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #357 on: May 17, 2016, 09:01:48 PM »
  ^Yah Silias is ridiculous, stylish, completely well rounded, but I'm part of the majority that doesn't care either.  Can't put a finger on it.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #358 on: May 17, 2016, 09:02:13 PM »
Just keep posting that Marc Johnson interview when he states he would never skate for a big athletic footwear brand.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #359 on: May 17, 2016, 09:12:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Heated:

[close]

Well Mike dug up some stuff... What do you have to say now Marc?

Yep, my thoughts exactly.  It's hilarious that he's saying that people need to do their research as if people not in the skate industry can find out what's going on behind the scenes with 5 minutes of Googling.

Also, I guess we are at that point where official responses and press releases are getting released when people change teams.  That TSM piece is the most "corporate standard" piece I could have thought to write while trying too hard not to make that obvious.  Notice how there was no by-line?  It is exactly something that Berra would approve or push people to put out.