Author Topic: Never seen anything like this  (Read 24876 times)

shit_for_brains

Re: Never seen anything like this
« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2016, 04:02:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Am I the only one who can't stand listening to him at all?
[close]

theres no skater on earth who can articulate the way he can... yall are crazy!!!
[close]

What? How old are you? He sounds like a homeless guy everybody in town calls "The Professor"
[close]

Ha 24? I dont really see how that relates as I imagine a younger person wouldn't have the attention span to sit through a tedxtalk let alone the ability to appreciate who Rodney is and what hes done for skateboarding. I know he has a strange rambling tangent riddled way of articulating, but its beautiful! I imagine him visualizing everything like russell crowe in beautiful mind. His voice is smooth and seems un-accented, and the emotions he is able to convey through his voice-inflections and mannerisms are un-paralleled in super-star skateboard story-tellers IMO. Only person I might compare him with is Matt Rodriguez, which I know is kinda the other side of the spectrum, but nonetheless an amazing story-teller and expressive artist.
[close]

I guess it's relevant in that people in their 20s still think the world is amazing and things like that. 15 years ago I might've thought he was giving sage wisdom (I didn't, but you know what I mean) but now I see a lunatic I don't want to make eye contact with. He's not spinning wise riddles, he's babbling nonsense.
[close]

bahaha youre under 40 so stfu and quit acting like hating life is cool

Hey fuck you kid

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2016, 05:16:16 AM »
Props to those of us who saw the "regs" here from the start of the thread- good lookin out!   When I first saw this clip something inside me said, "This dude the best skateboarder on the planet?"  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:21:20 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

DM

• Rep: 25

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #123 on: September 12, 2016, 09:07:28 PM »
Okay. So now that we know he's regular this opens up a whole new can of philosophical worms. Do these airs and the 360 flip over the fence really count as switch tricks, given that they don't feel switch to him and don't look switch to us? That is to say: What are the necessary and sufficient conditions for a trick being switch? Does the switchness of a trick lie in a property of that trick itself, or in how it is perceived by outside observers? Food for thought indeed.

A MAN

• Rep: 68
    • SKATE TIT avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2016, 02:22:56 AM »
Interview http://skateboarding.transworld.net/photos/interviews/leandre-sanders-man-no-stance/#lc7GfF2V1LA5W5dw.97

Ha ha ha can we all appreciatte this gem in the interview when discussing Rodney Mullen:

I think he?s been working for years to have no stance.

Yeah, is he getting his hips removed or something like that?

Rodney Mullen is getting his hips removed. You heard it here first.

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2016, 02:26:11 AM »
Interview http://skateboarding.transworld.net/photos/interviews/leandre-sanders-man-no-stance/#lc7GfF2V1LA5W5dw.97
I knew a guy in high school who skated different stances for tranny and street. He quit skating after a year because he never got any good at skating either of them, which made sense to my friends and me. We assumed you couldn't get comfortable enough to progress if you skated two stances at the same time. This kinda proves us wrong, but he said in that interview that he basically switched his stance four years ago intentionally to get like this.

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2016, 06:50:48 AM »
Actually it says he was better on transition skating goofy from the get-go. Obviously he got better at it from there but it seems to have just happened. To change stances so easily suggests that he wasn't regular, in the regular sense of the word, from the beginning.

The comparisons with Rodney are weird to me. He is a legend not because of his stancelessness, but because he was able to think up and land pretty much every trick. Looking comfortable while doing it was evidently never a priority of his. We've only ever seen hints at this, like Luy-Pa Sin's switch back tails.   

shit_for_brains

« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2016, 06:53:02 AM »
Everybody only gets one stance and there's no talking in circles until you convince yourself. This dude is magical.

swag nollies

« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2016, 08:06:14 AM »
Evolution

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2016, 10:42:31 AM »
interview says he moved to Australia right in the midst of his formative teenage years, which explains it: water swirling counterclockwise down the toilet and all that.

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2016, 04:07:32 PM »
Actually it says he was better on transition skating goofy from the get-go. Obviously he got better at it from there but it seems to have just happened. To change stances so easily suggests that he wasn't regular, in the regular sense of the word, from the beginning.

The comparisons with Rodney are weird to me. He is a legend not because of his stancelessness, but because he was able to think up and land pretty much every trick. Looking comfortable while doing it was evidently never a priority of his. We've only ever seen hints at this, like Luy-Pa Sin's switch back tails.   

I don't think anyone necessarily thinks of Rodney that way really, but in the Early/mid 2000's, Rodney said in an interview that it was his goal/dream to skate without a stance.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2016, 09:00:09 PM »
someone needs to put a gun to his head and yell "JUMP ON YOUR BOARD MOTHERFUCKER"

and see what he does

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2016, 11:18:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't think anyone necessarily thinks of Rodney that way really, but in the Early/mid 2000's, Rodney said in an interview that it was his goal/dream to skate without a stance.

That makes sense I guess. I know the Gonz has talked about trying to make switch tricks look perfectly normal, and I've always liked stories about him skating entire contest weekends switch stance back in the day, without most people even noticing anything different. I always took that to be urban legend for the most part, but trying to skate switch the way goofy feels, does seem like something he would do. Even kickflipping a bike may be an easier thing to set your mind to.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2016, 05:39:40 AM »
So this is a switch 540. Insane.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKKLkEIDr6G/

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2016, 10:45:44 AM »
nah with this dude if it's regular in tranny or goofy in street then it's switch. he is the first (great) skater to have two legit stances. i like that he himself doesn't try to say he's doing a switch 540 there. also funny how he kicks his board into the bowl in celebration while a dude is doing a run in there

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2016, 06:46:17 PM »
nah with this dude if it's regular in tranny or goofy in street then it's switch. he is the first (great) skater to have two legit stances. i like that he himself doesn't try to say he's doing a switch 540 there. also funny how he kicks his board into the bowl in celebration while a dude is doing a run in there

My thoughts exactly. Switch is "the other stance" as opposed to how you usually skate. This guy skates bowls goofy, always, so this 540 isn't switch for him. He has a street stance and a separate tranny stance, so what is switch for him would have to be defined against the relevant separate stance in any given trick - which is not to say that that isn't crazy as fuck in itself.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2016, 04:48:50 PM »
So this is a switch 540. Insane.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKKLkEIDr6G/

insane

but it's fucked how he just tosses his board into the bowl when that dude was going. I would hate to skate that park

too much

« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2016, 09:39:40 PM »
Dude seems like he could turn pro but his gimmick is super lame with the both stances and swag kit/shitty rap vibe...There are lots of examples of pro street skaters doing switch and nollie tricks where they don't look switch...i.e. Wade Desarmo and Erik Ellington...There are also lots of examples of pro's who predominately skate street switch because it's more fun and then we debate is it really switch for Guy or really switch for Baptista?

This Venice loc has good style, good bag of tricks, and all terrain but he has a gimmick....he should drop the gimmick and admit he's goofy. I have nothing wrong with switch flip fs lip slides that don't look switch...same with switch flip fs crooks...nothing wrong with doing tricks so well or learning how to do switch tricks where they don't look switch.

But what is really fucking annoying is claiming you skate different stances for different obstacles....it makes the footage nausiating to think about. It's not that intriguing to think so deeply about his stance to be honest. I think it's almost entering fuccboi territory for real...like he's playing us...so he should drop the gimmick, imo.

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2016, 10:12:48 PM »
everyone's excited for BA to come out, but this dude can't be bi-stanceual... ::)

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2016, 11:59:03 PM »
everyone's excited for BA to come out, but this dude can't be bi-stanceual... ::)

Very good point. This is a political issue.  I say he has the right to have two stances!

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2016, 01:13:36 AM »
Dude seems like he could turn pro but his gimmick is super lame with the both stances and swag kit/shitty rap vibe...There are lots of examples of pro street skaters doing switch and nollie tricks where they don't look switch...i.e. Wade Desarmo and Erik Ellington...There are also lots of examples of pro's who predominately skate street switch because it's more fun and then we debate is it really switch for Guy or really switch for Baptista?

This Venice loc has good style, good bag of tricks, and all terrain but he has a gimmick....he should drop the gimmick and admit he's goofy. I have nothing wrong with switch flip fs lip slides that don't look switch...same with switch flip fs crooks...nothing wrong with doing tricks so well or learning how to do switch tricks where they don't look switch.

But what is really fucking annoying is claiming you skate different stances for different obstacles....it makes the footage nausiating to think about. It's not that intriguing to think so deeply about his stance to be honest. I think it's almost entering fuccboi territory for real...like he's playing us...so he should drop the gimmick, imo.
nah. sammy might be better at skating street goofy, but he's not killing tranny in regular. and not one of those other dudes you mentioned--or anyone else, ever--is better in switch on a different type of terrain than they are regular. dudes you mentioned are ambidextrous, maybe. not this dude though--he has two stances. can't skate either terrain equally in each stance like those dudes can.

he doesn't give an exact timeline in his interview, but he says he grew up skating hawthorne park in regular stance with theotis, louie, and antwuan (witnesses?). he then moved to venice with his homie fouryears ago and started skating tranny in goofy stance. so giving him the smallest benefit of the doubt, he was probably skating regular for at least one year before he started skating tranny in goofy stance. that would give him five years to learn kickflip lipslides on rails from scratch, which seems kinda fast to me but idk. unless you're saying you think he's literally lying about starting out regular, that he actually started skating as a goofy skater?

zuma

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2016, 01:40:46 AM »
hyped on the man! i always loved this!

ronnie creager had this wheels of fortune in i think 411 4 and i remember not knowing which way he skated... boulalas early years switch skating comes to mind... i think rodney mullen doesn t have a stance these days

it also reminded me of this lavar clip always hyped me because of that
LV X Pier 7 on Vimeo

plod

« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2016, 09:00:28 PM »
This dude used to show up to my local St Kilda in Melbourne a lot last year. Since he was only skating transition at the park I never noticed his switch powers but he fucking ripped the bowl regardless.

asakusa75

« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2016, 06:00:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My thoughts exactly. Switch is "the other stance" as opposed to how you usually skate. This guy skates bowls goofy, always, so this 540 isn't switch for him. He has a street stance and a separate tranny stance, so what is switch for him would have to be defined against the relevant separate stance in any given trick - which is not to say that that isn't crazy as fuck in itself.

No matter how much we talk around in circles, its always going to come back to this.
The core argument here is that homie is crazy as fuck. We are never going to figure it out or come up with an explanation that is satisfactory for everyone.
For me, I trip the fuck out every clip I see. I love his shit...and I can't pinpoint exactly why either. Most likely explanation is that it is just so mind boggling, so far from anything I have ever done, and I grew up skating transition. No way I am casually going to throw a switch backside air over a hip.
Maybe in ten years, a whole bunch of kids will have no stance?
Then it will really be time for me to sit on my front porch, drink ice cold brewchachos and talk about the good old days, when kids were goofy and natural.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 06:08:51 AM by asakusa75 »

too much

« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2016, 05:18:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
nah. sammy might be better at skating street goofy, but he's not killing tranny in regular. and not one of those other dudes you mentioned--or anyone else, ever--is better in switch on a different type of terrain than they are regular. dudes you mentioned are ambidextrous, maybe. not this dude though--he has two stances. can't skate either terrain equally in each stance like those dudes can.

he doesn't give an exact timeline in his interview, but he says he grew up skating hawthorne park in regular stance with theotis, louie, and antwuan (witnesses?). he then moved to venice with his homie fouryears ago and started skating tranny in goofy stance. so giving him the smallest benefit of the doubt, he was probably skating regular for at least one year before he started skating tranny in goofy stance. that would give him five years to learn kickflip lipslides on rails from scratch, which seems kinda fast to me but idk. unless you're saying you think he's literally lying about starting out regular, that he actually started skating as a goofy skater?

Yeah he's bullshitting everyone. He just started fucking with both stances and got good real quick but it's obvious he has a preferred one. It's not like he's bossing up like Bob Burnquist and fucking shit up both stances at Venice.

I just don't think it's IMPOSSIBLE to skate street all switch and mimic your switch skating to look regs. Lots of people seem to differ with that opinion and think no way no one can only skate switch and make it look regs. He's just new generation being all out spoken with his I skate tranny goofy and street regular...ok...got it...that's really not that gnar...it's just something different to write about or feature...

jayrolla420

• Rep: -4
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2016, 05:24:13 PM »
Okay. So now that we know he's regular this opens up a whole new can of philosophical worms. Do these airs and the 360 flip over the fence really count as switch tricks, given that they don't feel switch to him and don't look switch to us? That is to say: What are the necessary and sufficient conditions for a trick being switch? Does the switchness of a trick lie in a property of that trick itself, or in how it is perceived by outside observers? Food for thought indeed.
I've always thought you get less cred for doing switch tricks that you can't do regular well.  Switch fs bigspins come to mind.

too much

« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2016, 05:25:09 PM »
He's literally saying "I can't do this" "I can't do that".....bullshit "I can ONLY skate pools goofy." "I can ONLY skate street regular."

He's limiting his shit...like Richie Jackson or any of those cats throughout the years

That is a gimmick

beat!

• Rep: -16
  • i feel like im skating a 7.5 in dunks
    • streetbeerz avatar image
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2016, 05:29:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I've always thought you get less cred for doing switch tricks that you can't do regular well.  Switch fs bigspins come to mind.

i believe it... i can't skate tranny regular but I don't take credit for it being switch since it doesn't feel like it. I can only sw wallride but i always just call it a wallride and i kinda get bummed when people get stoked on it being "switch."

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2016, 07:12:08 PM »
This dude is totaly goofy. His regular street is forced as fuck, just to say his tranny is switch. Look at that 50 50 attempts, that is clearly switch.

too much

« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2016, 10:18:55 PM »
His regular street is forced as fuck

He's mongo as fuck