Author Topic: Soft wheels that aren't bouncy or overly grippy  (Read 12395 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Soft wheels that aren't bouncy or overly grippy
« on: May 27, 2016, 10:28:34 AM »
I've got some OJs Keyframes, 87A. They are mad fast on the crummy streets here in Finland compared to my Minilogo 101As or Spitfire Formula Four 99As. They are all 54 mm, so no difference there.

Downside to the Keyframes is that they're super bouncy, like they're made of rubber. They're also grippy like rubber. Both features that aren't exactly good for normal street skating. I was wondering if there are wheels, which are soft and fast on crummy surfaces, but not bouncy and mad grippy. I dunno if that's even possible. Ideally something that combines the positive features of the Keyframes and Formula Fours with none of the negatives. 54 mm preferably.

Anyone got any experience on the Spitfire Soft D's 92A or 95A? Or the Spitfire Speedies? Those are 80A, which should be mad soft. Do these have the Spitfire slide or are they grippy as rubber? Also how bouncy are they?

Then there's OJs Ditch Witch 92A, Ricta Clouds 78A and 86A, but I'd think all these would have the same negative sides as the Keyframes, as they're all NHS wheels. Any experiences with these?

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
Re: Soft wheels that aren't bouncy or overly grippy
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 10:58:53 AM »
Probably not as soft as you want, but I ride Santa Cruz Slime balls 54mm 97A exclusively. Fast, grippy, slide easy enough.

Basingstoke

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 12:20:39 PM »
My last set of wheels were Spitfire Soft D's in 95a size 52mm, They slide fine and are hard enough that they don't bouncy (or noticeably adsorb speed).

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 06:48:14 AM »
not sure about the bounce thing, but soft wheels are always going to be grippy. it's a fact of life.

some wheels i've tried over many a year on shite pavement in rural areas:

ricta clouds: my favorites, but i've always found them difficult to come by. i've always skated the 78a ones, but they apparently also make an 86a version that i hadn't seen until about 5 minutes ago. that's interesting

bones atfs: second best, easier to find.

bones dtf: these are ok, and might be moreso what you're looking for given the examples you listed. i liked them well enough after a week or two of getting used to them.

spitfire soft ds: probably a bit too hard, didn't feel all that different from your average stf/spf surprisingly

zip zingers: awful, though at least the last set i had didn't separate from their cores like all the other sets.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 07:24:36 AM »
Thanks for suggestions. I'm not entirely convinced that soft wheels being grippy is a fact of life.

My Minilogo 101As are way way grippier than my Formula Four 99As. I'd say that the Minilogos feel about as grippy as the Keyframes. So, hard wheels can be grippy. But can soft wheels be less grippy, I dunno, but I'd sure like it.  :)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 08:05:33 AM »
I've messed around looking for something similar and I think you have the right idea....a mid 90's wheel.....above all you don't want something bouncy or mushy...it feels weird.....Id be more inclined to skate a 97 than a 90 for sure...I usually an STF in parks or whatever.....I set up OJ 99's for asphalt....totally did the trick....just a little bit of give....

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 07:28:14 AM »
Living in Finland as well and I feel you. Haven't yet found perfect wheel for our crappy asphalt, it seems like you just need two completes/set of wheels, 1 for transportation and 1 for actual skating. My choice for cruising are bones atf but they're still too soft for slides tho. Laminasta sai joskus muinoin 97a renkaita mitkä tuntu kulkevan vähä paremmin.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 11:44:00 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=91180.msg2502579#msg2502579 date=1464618494
Living in Finland as well and I feel you. Haven't yet found perfect wheel for our crappy asphalt, it seems like you just need two completes/set of wheels, 1 for transportation and 1 for actual skating. My choice for cruising are bones atf but they're still too soft for slides tho. Laminasta sai joskus muinoin 97a renkaita mitk� tuntu kulkevan v�h� paremmin.

Yeah, I actually just set up my old board as a cruiser with the Keyframes. It's so fun to cruise around with it, but it's not optimal at all having two setups. I'd like to be able to skate around and not be limited with the soft wheels at spots. Also I'm too much of a pussy to powerslide the Keyframes. I'm sure all wheels slide, but the Keyframes are too grippy for my skill level/nutsack size.  :)

Oh well. I guess I'll just keep on testing then. Not in a hurry to buy anything new right now I guess, but I'll keep my eyes open for softer wheels for sure.

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 12:54:04 PM »
You're definitely asking for a lot but there probably is solution, you just have to think out of the box. Consider a bigger wheel, small wheels on rough ground is no fun. Also you may want to look at longboard wheels (gasp, don't lynch me) those guys ride soft durometers but are able to power slide like crazy.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 01:16:48 PM by m477 »

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 01:07:34 PM »
Also remember that wider wheels grip more than skinny wheels.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 01:35:57 AM »
I'm not sure whether they make them any smaller than 60mm, but I have Powell 85a bombers on my cruiser and while they feel like soft wheels(because they are), they definitely allow you to slide. They don't give you the satisfying screech of hard wheels, but its definitely enough for most tricks and for powerslides while bombing hills, doesn't take too much effort to push them into the slide and control it either. One of my homies managed to pick up my cruiser and do a back bluntslide pop out on a ledge in a few tries with those wheels, if thats a testament to how they slide. Perhaps some of Powells slightly smaller and harder variants of this wheel could be even better.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 09:38:14 AM »

http://minilogoskateboards.com/skateboard-wheels?soc_wheel_hardness=90a

I wouldn't recommend these to anyone. Super slow.  Probably to soft for a wheel of that diameter / without core.

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 11:36:41 AM »
Go with Autobahn's Dual Durometer joints in a 97a

I skated a set. They're soft but not to the point where they're too grippy.

coneklr

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 12:57:07 PM »

Came to post these as well, I used to skate only these for a few years.  I've actually been thinking of grabbing some more of them but it's difficult since I love the F4's so much

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 04:08:25 PM »
My first set of DTFs weren't bad but the 2nd set was definitely bouncy - although they were a wider profile as well.

Bender Bending Rodriguez

• Rep: 2
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 07:12:42 PM »
I wouldn't recommend these to anyone. Super slow.  Probably to soft for a wheel of that diameter / without core.

If it's below 70 degrees outside ( Roisto lives in Finland, correct ? ), those Mini-Logo 90a Hybrids are great on rough terrain ( and not too bouncy ).

As mentioned, they are super slow in hot weather...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 07:17:47 PM by Bender Bending Rodriguez »

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 09:52:39 PM »
Sml has a new AG formula thats a bit softer, but still slides

they come in other colors as well

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 10:57:09 PM »
Expand Quote
I wouldn't recommend these to anyone. Super slow.  Probably to soft for a wheel of that diameter / without core.
[close]

If it's below 70 degrees outside ( Roisto lives in Finland, correct ? ), those Mini-Logo 90a Hybrids are great on rough terrain ( and not too bouncy ).

I've Skated them in temperatures around 60 and they are still to slow imo.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 12:05:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've Skated them in temperatures around 60 and they are still to slow imo.
I have to agree. Definitely slow all day any day.

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 08:32:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Came to post these as well, I used to skate only these for a few years.  I've actually been thinking of grabbing some more of them but it's difficult since I love the F4's so much

I'm kinda experimenting with wheels right now so I'm trying a little bit of everything. So far the Autobahn Torus joints are what I'll be coming back to. Haven't skated Spitfires since they ditched the Hardlines. I should probably try the F4s before I settle down though.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 10:30:32 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I just ordered a set of the Spitfire 80HD Chargers, cuz they were mad cheap. Been cruising around with the Keyframes and they're super fast here, even though it's been around 27 °C (~80 °F). I guess I'll just keep on testing things out. Autobahns and SMLs I'd like to try, but they don't seem to be very widely available.

Also I want to keep it at 54 mm. Sure having bigger wheels would solve a lot of problems with the rough asphalt, but then it wouldn't be any different than my current situation with a separate cruiser and a separate trick setup.

And on the Mini Logos. 90A sounds good, but even the 101A Mini Logos are grippy as fuck here on asphalt for some reason, so I'd think the 90A ones might be even worse.

Also, wider wheels having more traction is debatable. Physics doesn't really support it. Especially with skate wheels, which won't deform the same way as car tires for example.  :)

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 11:45:28 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I just ordered a set of the Spitfire 80HD Chargers, cuz they were mad cheap. Been cruising around with the Keyframes and they're super fast here, even though it's been around 27 �C (~80 �F). I guess I'll just keep on testing things out. Autobahns and SMLs I'd like to try, but they don't seem to be very widely available.

Just order straight from Autobahn. You may get a couple of patches and a bunch of stickers sent to you as well.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 12:00:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I just ordered a set of the Spitfire 80HD Chargers, cuz they were mad cheap. Been cruising around with the Keyframes and they're super fast here, even though it's been around 27 �C (~80 �F). I guess I'll just keep on testing things out. Autobahns and SMLs I'd like to try, but they don't seem to be very widely available.
[close]

Just order straight from Autobahn. You may get a couple of patches and a bunch of stickers sent to you as well.

35.00 USD shipping to Finland plus taxes and customs on the price of the wheels AND the shipping. Not really worth it.  :-[ Would probably end up being around 90 bucks.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 02:27:25 PM »
I second the Slimeball/AB 97a suggestions.

zephyrpatio

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 03:12:00 PM »
I've always liked OJ's ditch witch. They just came out with one thats 56mm instead of their usual 54mm, and it's a nice mid range 92a. Although being OJ it feels more like 90a.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:17:22 PM by zephyrpatio »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 09:43:02 AM »
Got the Spitfire 80HD Chargers today cuz they were cheap at a sale. Put them on in my cruiser board and they felt harder than my 87A Keyframes. The spits were also way grippier. Almost fell doing a revert. Grip like gum.

Oh well, I guess they'll be alright wheels for the cruiser. Didn't expect them to be a brilliant all around wheel anyway. Still surprised they're both harder and grippier than the Keyframes.

I've got a whole bunch of wheels around right now, but if some 92A Soft D's or some Ditch Witches ever come up on proper enough sale, I might cop a set and try them out.