Author Topic: Returning to skating after 30 years  (Read 4916 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 995
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Returning to skating after 30 years
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2018, 08:48:19 PM »
I'm 43 and skated from 1986-1994 and have returned. I too fell for the nostalgia trap and was less than stoked on the results. Now I'm on a nice 8.5 Alien Workshop with some Bones STF's (54mm) and Thunders (because Indys are too heavy, imo) and it rules.

You probably have some disposable income...just buy shit and see what you like. Whatever you're not feeling, flow it to a nice kid at the park that needs it. I dunno.

This is all fun and wild. I feel like I drew a straight line to who I used to be and it is pretty awesome.

That's how I roll! Hooking up the groms in need feels good man.

dragonblade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -12
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2018, 09:48:59 PM »
Whatever you're not feeling, flow it to a nice kid at the park that needs it. I dunno.

I was impressed when I saw footage of Steve Caballero teaching his really young daughter to skate. She had good balance at a young age. Actually, when I saw the Bones Brigade demo in the 80s, I would say that Caballero was the nicest guy out of the team when I was getting my board autographed.

In general I think all of the boards will work fine.  The proportions are just more functional on a modern board versus a re-issue.  Those Welcome boards I thought the concaves and the quality were good...not overly heavy.

Not to say I don't obsess over gear but truthfully most of the stuff is good quality.

Oh yea no matter what deck I end up with, I'm sure I'll be getting a quality product with good performance. Though additionally, I would also like comfortable feet after a long ride so I guess that cancels out a deep concave.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 09:52:54 PM by dragonblade »

pauline_handsome

• Rep: 2
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2018, 10:47:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Whatever you're not feeling, flow it to a nice kid at the park that needs it. I dunno.
[close]

I was impressed when I saw footage of Steve Caballero teaching his really young daughter to skate. She had good balance at a young age. Actually, when I saw the Bones Brigade demo in the 80s, I would say that Caballero was the nicest guy out of the team when I was getting my board autographed.

Expand Quote
In general I think all of the boards will work fine.  The proportions are just more functional on a modern board versus a re-issue.  Those Welcome boards I thought the concaves and the quality were good...not overly heavy.

Not to say I don't obsess over gear but truthfully most of the stuff is good quality.
[close]

Oh yea no matter what deck I end up with, I'm sure I'll be getting a quality product with good performance. Though additionally, I would also like comfortable feet after a long ride so I guess that cancels out a deep concave.

Shoes have got a lot better too mate. Don't skimp on em.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2018, 07:50:03 AM »
This guy has to be trolling right?

Skateforever

• Rep: -4
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2018, 10:12:56 AM »
Welcome back mate!

I was in the same boat a while back.

I would recommend Welcome skateboards, lots of great shapes if you want a larger board. I'm currently skating the 9" Sledgehammer which is perfect for the skatepark, mini ramps and general street skating. I'm 42 so I grew up skating boards 9" and wider and I just feel just much more comfortable skating wider concave boards. Check them out and I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

dragonblade

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2018, 08:12:54 PM »
I was considering Welcome boards. I really like their shaped decks and notice a lot of them are nice and big - similar to the size of boards I used to ride years ago. However, with that extra size, probably comes more weight. And one thing I noticed the last two times I was fooling around with a skateboard was that I was really struggling with ollies. Even though I could ollie fine back in the 80s and early 90s and could even ollie over things. So maybe I need something lighter and less bulky to allow me to ollie again. On the other hand, I don't want a board that's too small. Ive pretty much decided on a Globe 8.25.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2211
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2018, 10:26:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fuck that,Cab cut me off in his Tacoma with a giant Fox sticker on the back, with Hosoi tailing him in his minivan.

Everyone knows Lance is the shit.

OP is Auby Taylor getting some R&D for his new company

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

dragonblade

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2018, 11:30:58 PM »
OP is Auby Taylor getting some R&D for his new company

Lol I wish.

By the way, Mike McGill was getting a bit annoyed by some kids being douches during his autograph session.

Skateforever

• Rep: -4
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2018, 01:10:24 AM »
I was considering Welcome boards. I really like their shaped decks and notice a lot of them are nice and big - similar to the size of boards I used to ride years ago. However, with that extra size, probably comes more weight. And one thing I noticed the last two times I was fooling around with a skateboard was that I was really struggling with ollies. Even though I could ollie fine back in the 80s and early 90s and could even ollie over things. So maybe I need something lighter and less bulky to allow me to ollie again. On the other hand, I don't want a board that's too small. Ive pretty much decided on a Globe 8.25.

Go with it man, you can always switch up later should you wish to. I have no issues doing ollies on the 9" and cant say I notice the weight. Ollies are as high as when I was 16, I  can still pop over a park bench etc. Flip trick are a little bit harder but still perfectly doable. Also I really like the wider platform when landing off stairs and drops etc.

I used to skate skinny boards back in my 20's but I just can't get on with them these days. Each to their own though and as long as people are skating that's all good.

sododgy

• Rep: 8
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2018, 02:30:02 AM »
Read all of OP's posts in Australian National Treausre Stephen Robert Irwin's voice. Perfect 5/7, will read again.

pauline_handsome

• Rep: 2
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2018, 10:53:31 PM »
Read all of OP's posts in Australian National Treausre Stephen Robert Irwin's voice. Perfect 5/7, will read again.

if i knew how to rep i would

dragonblade

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2018, 09:44:56 AM »
Before I get the new board, I'm relearning the basics on my very first skateboard from the mid 80s. Very basic middle of the range board. Bearings and trucks have seen better days. Though it serves it's purpose.

Actually today (while standing on the ground) I slammed the tail on the ground to pick it up and to my surprise, this board has really good pop. I mean this thing is ancient and has a huge, thick, ugly tail guard but despite the odds, it really catapults into the air when I hit the tail on the ground. Hard to catch too. I think there could be some potential there. I haven't tried ollieing on it yet but when I get more comfy with the basics, I'll give it a try.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2018, 09:34:10 PM »
Everyone has their preference in brands/woodshops, but if you're just starting out again, you won't know the difference. Any board will do. If you're going the "shaped" route, I would suggest a Black Label Lucero X2 or any Anti-Hero Grosso board. Other companies seem to use shaped boards as novelties and are often just cosmetic.

Regarding concave, deck thickness went from 1/2" to 3/8" some time in the early '90s, so increasing the radius was necessary to maintain stiffness. It increased more as decks thinned down. At some point, I thought concave just became absurd, so I bought a deck with a mellow concave and could not stand how flexible it was. Steep concave is a necessary tradeoff and you'll get used to it.

Also during the early '90s, wheels became a generic product. Speed Wheels were far superior to everything that came since, but they flatspotted too easily as blunt slides became popular, so we traded rolling resistance for flatspot resistance. Most people today ride smooth skateparks so it doesn't matter what wheels they're using.

dragonblade

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2018, 10:17:46 AM »
Shoes have got a lot better too mate. Don't skimp on em.

At the moment, I'm using an old pair of sand shoes for skating with holes in the soles!

If you're going the "shaped" route, I would suggest a Black Label Lucero X2 or any Anti-Hero Grosso board. Other companies seem to use shaped boards as novelties and are often just cosmetic.

Initially, I was drawn more to the shaped boards though when I looked at completes, I noticed that generally, they were equipped with large wheels. Not sure if it's necessarily a hard and fast rule that wide shaped boards are ridden with large wheels. I read recommendations to use small wheels when starting out again in the hobby. And I notice small wheels are often used with the smaller popsical boards.

Most people today ride smooth skateparks so it doesn't matter what wheels they're using.

Mike Vallely says he uses hard wheels for all kinds of terrain. I'll see if that works for me too.