Author Topic: Steve Olson  (Read 5614 times)

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Steve Olson
« on: June 22, 2016, 09:13:46 PM »
  I like Alex's dad but to me theres one real Steve Olson and thats my man who came and skated for foundation back in the day.  He had a break out ad and it was unique simply cause he didn't look anything like a skateboarder (from that time period) He looked like played in an indie band and nobody in skating looked like him but now everybody looks like that. He switched his look when he got on shorty's.  I loved his part in rolling thunder so much back then and now still.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:18:16 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Steve Olson
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 10:28:33 PM »
Fuck yes, rolling thunder is soooo good and his part is up there as a contender for best part in the vid. I actually always had trouble deciding whose part I liked best in that vid simply because they're all so good (yes, even Berra and Hirata's part)! I think Rusty (RIP) and I had a big discussion about it once on here. Fucking Wil Taylor came out of nowhere too and blew everyone away ala Pat Duffy in questionable :o
I learnt front board shove-it outs because of the one he does down that square rail in his part and I'm 100% with you that foundation era Steve Olson is better than Shorty's era Steve Olson (although reading back over your post it doesn't sound like you are saying that). Surprised grecs hasn't worshipped him more considering how much he loves OG "hammer" skaters. I don't think Olson was only about hammers though; he could certainly get tech when/ if needed. But yeah, when anyone says Steve Olson I immediately think of that rolling thunder part!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 12:13:29 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 11:29:26 PM »
Yah funny enough: Hirarta.  I saw him at a contest and he had a dope as shit line.  Had it all practice, and fucked it for his run and he took it sorely.  It was sad.  That guy had about 5 transworld interviews I think and then all the sudden he's the  sole pro for maple skateboards.  Cause of the guitar playing (?) I think.   Plastic ramps

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 12:14:47 AM »
Didn't he also do something with skate stoppers that pretty much got him blacklisted from the industry?
Still can't hate on that rolling thunder part though, he has some smooth as fuck tricks in there!

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 03:48:38 PM »
^I heard that, yes.  Skate stoppers, shiddy ramps.  But I think it started with playing his guitar to his skate part and just spiraled negatively from that.  He was already demoted to Maple by the time any of that skate stopper stuff and  phelps calling jihad. 

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 01:36:09 AM »
^I heard that, yes.  Skate stoppers, shiddy ramps.  But I think it started with playing his guitar to his skate part and just spiraled negatively from that.  He was already demoted to Maple by the time any of that skate stopper stuff and  phelps calling jihad. 

what skate stoppers? i was always wondering why did Hirata disappear from the magazines and then i totally forgot about him. last thing i remember was the guitar playing feature and a 411 vid where he won a comp at a concrete skatepark by doing fs flip to tail on a lip. i think there was a Matt Reason wheels of fortune in the same issue.
Again, can anyone please enlighten me about the skate stoppers? was he helping the council to place skate stoppers correctly?
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 08:59:14 AM »
  Ha I said that cuz gay imp did.  I never heard about skatestoppers personally. But he plastic ramp thing was a thing.  He could take skating too seriously and that might tainted him, that and the  bad guitar playing

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 05:45:06 PM »
I thought that was the official rumour (and this was pre-internet so I could be wrong), maybe phelps was trying to kook him extra hard?
All rumours aside I like EVERYONE'S part in rolling thunder ... even Berra's. If that was his sole part and he never opened his mouth again I would actually still back Berra. I know this is a Steve Olson thread but what is your fav part in Rolling Thunder? Imma need a few hours to make my decision here (even then I still don't think I'll be able to decide)...

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 04:47:15 AM »
Heath.   Then Olsons.  That interview footage rivaled the skating.  Very special vid. 

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
  • Pure East
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 07:59:43 AM »

Doesn't give a fuck.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

Ross Norman - Last of the Mohicans

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 08:55:24 AM »
ha I remember.  Spencer F mistakenly called out kevin harris for designing skate stoppers. But he was totally misinformed.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 11:55:57 AM »
Frank Hirata did a terrible job designing some skateparks that got built. Most notable this one in Vista. That was 1 demotion.
Then there was something between him and Phelps. Maybe regarding some negative comments about Franks girlfriend, if I remember right?

Back on subject. Steve Olson was a weirdo in all the best ways possible. During the late 90's, Fulfill the Dream days, I had the pleasure of skating with him on a fairly regular basis. Saw a lot of rad tricks go down first hand. Rolling Thunder was one of the first video premiers I ever went to. My girlfriend met him and said he's an alien. Not from this planet. Haha. His famous roll off the roof wood rail boardslide was filmed at the crack of dawn by his girlfriend. He's back up in Washington, right?

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 674
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 12:16:29 PM »
crazy monk, judge for yourself, I think he is pretty awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO4dOEmulDs

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 05:44:22 PM »
Heath.   Then Olsons.  That interview footage rivaled the skating.  Very special vid.  

I kinda feel like Heath's part is a given though no? First kickflip back lip down a rail and hammers from start to finish. I really liked his song choice too!
If we take Heath out of the equation I'd actually go with Olson's part with Hirata/ Taylor / Berra tied second. The only thing that damages Hirata's and Berra's parts are their current reputations. If this vid was all you knew of them, everyone would still be circle jerking them.
Taylor's part is stylish though and he came out of no where ala Pat Duffy in Questionable. Has some nice lines and some massive bangers (his ender was a transworld cover if I remember correctly). And that song? Classic 90s!!!
But then where are you gunna chuck Beagle's part? I mean the dude has some pretty cool tricks and was the staple skater on Foundation for years and years. Kinda seems like he is old in that vid but he was probably only still like mid 20s right? He certainly has his own unique style though and I think at the time when it came out I liked his part more than I do now. So that just leaves Paul Sharpe's part right? Look there's a lot of (nollie) bangers in there but he just didn't seem to fit the foundation vibe at the time. If this part was in another more clean-cut company vid I'm sure he would have gotten more love for it. So yeah, I guess my order is the same as you but if I really had to rank them:

1. Olson (probably hyped me the most to go skating and do the tricks I was doing at the time)
2. Heath (blasphemy I know but everyone already knew he was a great skater when this came out and I don't think it's his greatest part by any means)
3. Hirata (say what you want about him but there are some epic tricks in there)
4. Will Taylor (that song, the half cabs, those lines!)
5. Berra (fuck you Berra, you would have ranked higher but you're Berra)
6. Beagle
7. Sharp

Definitely one of my fav vids from back in the day though along with DLX's 'ride on' and EE3
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 05:54:41 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 03:09:02 AM »
   Beagle is underatted hugely.  He IS unique -for sure.  Thanks for reminding me I'm gonna watch that part.  Hafta give Franks a rewatch here too.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 11:13:18 AM »
Dude... Wil Taylor's part is hot garbage

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 12:18:50 PM »
  Yah the will taylor part wasn't good.  Hmm I think I like heath/ olson parts equally upon reviewing.  Olson's has so much flavor. I forgot that Franks guitar playing was pretty effective for his part.  I remember a thing or 2 negative in the mags about it.whaterver  Thats the best Heath part.  The others are good but always epic/dramatic.  This one is more skatey imo.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:05:26 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2016, 06:46:58 PM »
Dude... Wil Taylor's part is hot garbage

Hmmmm, well I just re-watched and while I may have been a bit too kind with the whole comparing him to pat duffy thing, how many of you had actually heard of him before this part (or that ender being a transworld cover)? I think there's quite a bit of old footage in there (that first line :D) but you can definitely see him grow/ mature throughout the part. I still think there are some bangers in there but I feel nostalgia (and THAT song) may have gotten the best of me. Please allow me to revise:

1. Olson (probably hyped me the most to go skating and do the tricks I was doing at the time)
2. Heath (blasphemy I know but everyone already knew he was a great skater when this came out and I don't think it's his greatest part by any means)
3. Hirata (say what you want about him but there are some epic tricks in there)
5. Berra (fuck you Berra, you would have ranked higher but you're Berra)
5. Beagle
6. Sharp
7. Will Taylor (that song, the half cabs, those lines!)

@givecigs - yeah Beagle defs ranked higher back in the day. He seemed to be pretty friendly with Heath too. What ever happened to Josh?
I'm going to have to give it to Berra though cuz his part is pretty damn heavy even in 2016! LOL about the heath part. I probably wouldn't mention it on the main forums either but I'm personally of the same opinion in that it's my fav "skatey" part of his (but certainly not his heaviest in terms of tricks/ atmosphere/ legendary status). What do you think about my new list? Would you change anything up?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 09:23:19 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2016, 08:54:57 PM »
^ well now i gotta look at the berra andjosh parts.  I don't like music that's 'epic' either.  I want 'newness' and maybe 'self containment' with art -and not a so much a classic typical artistic encapsulation of the 'human experince' . Probably a big reason why too is 'heavey' and 'epic' means more slow mo, more anquish-after-not-landing-trick segways you have to sit thru. Where as this part is all killer. (plus,   thats the worst slam I've seen of him on footy, I don't know how his head took that)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 09:11:40 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

stophatin

• Rep: -35
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 10:35:41 PM »
he was kind of a sloppy skateboarder but a horrible rapper, my god.

"trans - for - merrr....  like a trance - warm- errr... evil constitutions, retributions" shut the hell up

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 07:29:53 PM »
One of my favorite ads of all times. It didn't even seem possible back in 98'.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2020, 11:44:18 AM »
Too young at the time for foundation Era olson but as a grown man now, he's one of the best I think. Hammers and techy shit. So good. And shout out to all the four eyed lame-os who skate.
Whoa. Danger.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2020, 04:27:35 PM »
I always liked that he looks like a totally chilled guy, but is a mad man on a board.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 674
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2020, 07:10:43 PM »
awright, brandon switch hardflipped wallenberg, Steve needs to flip back tail hollywood high!

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1508
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2020, 10:06:48 PM »
I want an official Shorty's reboot with the original cast more than I want a meaningful relationship.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2020, 06:45:09 PM »
I want an official Shorty's reboot with the original cast more than I want a meaningful relationship.

This is also my true desire