Author Topic: Addis Ababa and/or Seoul tips?  (Read 4181 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Addis Ababa and/or Seoul tips?
« on: June 28, 2016, 07:38:40 AM »
Yeah, I know, two totally different and random places. I'm debating on one or the other for a week or two sometime between september/october.

Anybody in or have tips for either city?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:19:29 AM by sexualhelon »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Addis Ababa and/or Seoul tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 05:34:34 PM »
Seoul is a fucking untapped marble wonderland. So many good spots, doubt you could hit most of them up in the day.
That place with the huge fucking banks w/ white rails on them is on the road back from Incheon airport though and I'm pretty sure you could skate them during the day too because they're just sitting there next to a big-arse river.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

UL8

• Rep: 29
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 11:29:50 PM »
If you want my blunt opinion, avoid spending more than a few days in Addis and don't go if you're looking for great skate spots or a really fun city. There's a scene of people who skate there, but it certainly isn't a prime skating destination. Ethiopia is an amazing country, one of my favorites, without question, but Addis is not what makes it great. If you are looking for a great city in East Africa, go to Kampala, Uganda.  

As far as Ethiopia is concerned, this sounds utterly bizarre and I didn't believe it until I did it myself, but if you fly into the country on Ethiopian Air, you pay local prices on all domestic flights. Ideally, you want to travel overland because the countryside is amazing, but having the option to fly at really cheap prices is great, especially for getting to more difficult locations like Lalibela. Also, overland travel can be very inefficient. I would do anything you can to fly in on Ethiopian. Your flights will  cost at least one third less than they will if you don't fly in on Ethiopian and the system of domestic flights is excellent and can take you to many of destinations very quickly.

Also, if you go, get the Bradt Guide. It's basically the bible for any visit to Ethiopia.

In Addis Ababa, I would suggest staying in the Piazza area. The Taitu is a good hotel.

Lalibela is amazing. Trekking and bizarre churches carved into rock. It is hyped up for a reason. If there is one place you visit in Ethiopia, it needs to be Lalibela. Get a guide and do the church tours and trekking.

Harar is also a really cool and historically significant town. The gated city is considered the fourth holy city of Islam, but you can get a beer in many a bars within its confines. A great place to see the middle eastern influence on the country and the coexistence of Islam and Christianity. Take a flight to Dire Dawa and then catch a minibus ride from hell that should take like an hour.

Gondar is sort of whatever. The royal enclosure is a bit overrated in my opinion, but I hear there is some great trekking around the town.

The south of the country is tribal and incredibly difficult to get, but if you are looking to see traditional Sub Saharan African tribes that are still very traditional, spend the money and go there.

That's basically what I can tell you about the country. The Bradt guide is excellent and covers anything you could possibly want to see. There's so much in Ethiopia, that you need to pick what interests you.

Overall, it's a very safe country in the non traditional tribal areas. In cities, you might get pick pocketed, but I can't emphasize how safe it feels. It's much, much safer than other countries in East Africa.

Also, the food is amazing and you won't spend more than 6 dollars on a meal unless you really try and if you can handle some not so fancy accommodations, you shouldn't have to spend more than 15 dollars a night on a hotel room, unless you are in Lalibela.

Like any developing country, watch out for scammers or people who try to sell you "traditional Ethiopian experiences" like a coffee ceremony or needless tours (you don't really need a tour of Addis Ababa, but getting a tour of the Lalibela churches is the only way to see them and getting a guide through Harar is useful as well). People were very nice in my experience, but often times want you to buy them beer or something petty. It's not huge deal, but Ethiopians are adept at extracting money from tourists in a variety of ways. It's completely understandable on their part and you should expect to pay tourist prices to some extent, but if you feel you are being ripped off at a hotel or pushed into purchasing a service or good you don't want, just walk away or negotiate.  

Let me know if you have any questions.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:53:36 PM by UL8 »

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 04:37:30 AM »
Oh wow, totally wasn't expecting to get such an in depth response about Ethiopia on here.

My first question is since I'll most likely only have a week for this trip do you think that would be enough for Ethiopia? That could be the big deciding factor since a week in Seoul would surely be fine. Seoul seems super interesting, I love Korean food, but I imagine it to be a bit more expensive and maybe not so different from the other major Asian capitals I've visited. Although with visa fees in Africa it probably evens out - a bit more expensive airfare wise too.  Surprisingly tickets to Kenya, Uganda, and Ethiopia are all pretty well the same price. Initially I was drawn to Ethiopia for the history, love the food, and read a naughty nomad travel guide where he said Addis Ababa was a cool city with decent nightlife. Wenchi Crater and Erte Ale look super sick to check out.

Wait, so if you fly in on Turkish Air or any airline that's not Ethiopian then you don't get local prices once inside Ethiopia? That's pretty interesting, curious how that works.

Ethiopia actually just got it's first skatepark built. I emailed the dudes at Ethiopia skate about connecting and helping out if that's where I go this trip.

So yeah, basically, I'm wondering if one week is enough time or if I should save it for when I can do longer. If not, would you suggest Kenya or  Kampala over Ethiopia? I've been to pretty well every region of the world but this would be my first time visiting I guess what you'd call "real" Africa. I don't think Morocco counts haha.

Thanks a ton man!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 04:39:32 AM by sexualhelon »

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 08:57:42 PM »
Personally I think a week is a bit long for Seoul. It is quite similar to Japan and honestly the rest of the country really isn't that interesting.
I spent a week in Korea, traveled from Pusan to Seoul and that was more than enough time to see and do everything I wanted.
If you settle on Seoul I would recommend popping over to China or somewhere else that is close by.

UL8

• Rep: 29
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 09:18:30 PM »
My first question is since I'll most likely only have a week for this trip do you think that would be enough for Ethiopia? That could be the big deciding factor since a week in Seoul would surely be fine. Seoul seems super interesting, I love Korean food, but I imagine it to be a bit more expensive and maybe not so different from the other major Asian capitals I've visited. Although with visa fees in Africa it probably evens out - a bit more expensive airfare wise too.  Surprisingly tickets to Kenya, Uganda, and Ethiopia are all pretty well the same price. Initially I was drawn to Ethiopia for the history, love the food, and read a naughty nomad travel guide where he said Addis Ababa was a cool city with decent nightlife. Wenchi Crater and Erte Ale look super sick to check out.
You should be able to get a 30 day tourist visa for 50 dollars. The vaccinations and malaria medication (though technically you don't need malaria meds in most of Ethiopia, but I took them anyway) might be more expensive if you don't have solid health insurance. Still, Ethiopia is shockingly cheap.

A week is not a lot of time and, personally, I would want more, but based on your two desired destinations, I think it could be reasonable. Wenchi is close enough to Addis Ababa that it's not a big deal to get there. I haven't done it, but with the Bradt guide book or just talking to others, you'll figure it out. For Erte Ale and the Danakil Depression just fly to Mekele. You should know that tourists have been kidnapped in that region of the country. I believe by Eritrean terrorists. I'd still go, but it's something to be aware of. Like I said, Ethiopia as a whole is very safe.

Here's a theoretical itinerary:
Get into to Addis and go straight to an Ethiopian air office; they're all over the city. Buy a flight for the next day to Mekele (this is possible). Spend a couple nights there. Fly back to Addis. Do a trip from Addis around the "Wenchi loop". Seems feasible to me and you could probably squeeze it in to a week to 10 days. Again, I would just plan it out with the Bradt guide.

Wait, so if you fly in on Turkish Air or any airline that's not Ethiopian then you don't get local prices once inside Ethiopia? That's pretty interesting, curious how that works.

Yes, you have to fly in on Ethiopian Air. No exception. I did the Turkish air flight last summer that goes from large US cities to Istanbul and then Istanbul to just about anywhere in East Africa and it was super easy and fast, but I flew into Nairobi and ended up making my way into Ethiopia a couple of weeks later on a 100 dollar Ethiopian flight from Entebee to Addis. Once I arrived, I went to an Ethiopian Air office, showed them my ticket and opened up local ticket prices for all domestic flights. That's all you need to do. Go to an Ethiopian Air office with a verifiable Ethiopian Air boarding pass that shows you entered the country on Ethiopian Air and you're good to go.  It was amazing and you could save up to 175 dollars on even a single round trip flight with it.

Ethiopia actually just got it's first skatepark built. I emailed the dudes at Ethiopia skate about connecting and helping out if that's where I go this trip.

So yeah, basically, I'm wondering if one week is enough time or if I should save it for when I can do longer. If not, would you suggest Kenya or  Kampala over Ethiopia? I've been to pretty well every region of the world but this would be my first time visiting I guess what you'd call "real" Africa. I don't think Morocco counts haha. 

If you are going to a country in Africa for skating, Ethiopia is definitely the place to be. Also, if you are going to be able to connect with locals who have similar interests that's going to make the trip even better. I would say that is a huge reason you should go to Ethiopia.

I would definitely not suggest Kenya over Ethiopia.

Uganda, is less spread out than Ethiopia and easier to travel by land. It's really a stunning country and Kampala is my favorite city in East Africa, but I would say Ethiopia edges it out, at least for me. I think especially if you want to skate and connect with people in the skate community, go to Ethiopia. On the whole Ethiopian tourism is more geared towards history and culture and Ugandan tourism is more geared toward adventure activities, like rafting in the Nile.

I didn't mean to come off as negative at all towards Addis Ababa. I do love Addis, but it's a bit hectic and going through hyper growth due to Chinese investment. I also just think it's really worth experiencing the rest of the country.

I wouldn't actually say that Ethiopia is the most representative of Sub Saharan Africa (not that any one country could be representative of a region that large), or what may be referred to as "real Africa". To me, Ethiopia has a very different feel than other East African countries. There's much more of a middle eastern influence. Many Ethiopians look almost Yemeni, which makes complete sense considering Yemen is just a short boat ride across the gulf of Aden.

If you really want to explore the region, you could save the trip for when you have 3 or 4 weeks. Maybe hit up Uganda and Tanzania, get a more holistic perspective, have a bit of a beach break in Zanzibar. It would be pretty cheap to fly between the different main cities in the respective countries.

Thanks a ton man!
No problem. It's rad you want to visit Ethiopia!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:23:04 PM by UL8 »

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 04:52:18 AM »
Ah, yeah, in the grand scheme of things the ticket/visa isn't all too crazy comparatively and I should have all my vaccinations.

Booked my ticket to Seoul the other day! Figured for Ethiopia - Africa in general - I'd rather have more time. Still possible I might just do a week trip to hang out in Addis Ababa along with visiting Lake Wenchi sometime this next year. Doing lots of those tours plus adding small flights looks like it would add up. One I saw to do Erte Ale as around $400 for a 3/4 day trek I believe. Looked pretty intense.

All your tips and insight are super appreciated though! Definitely going to fly in on Ethiopian air when I do this trip. Where are you from and what's taken you all around Africa anyway?

I figure with Seoul a week is plenty of time. I'll have a Saturday through the following Sunday there and a day trip to Buson or that weird Haesindang Park would be super easy. My lady was more down for Seoul and said if I did Africa she probably would pass on it haha.

Jive Turkey, you'd say if we fly in on a Saturday and fly out on the next Sunday we should try to pop over somewhere else and not spend the whole week in Seoul? At first I was thinking Busan or something - maybe that weird Haesindang park - but there are some flights for less than 100 at the moment to Saga, Fukuoka, and a $120 one to Osaka. For China there's Qingdao which sounds like it could be interesting - could even take the ferry across. Thoughts on any of those places? Shanghai and Beijing would be more like $150 or so but maybe worth it for a w-f out of our trip.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 05:30:42 PM »
Fukuoka,
My fav city in Japan (may be bias though ;D). Awesome food, great people, lots of (untapped) skate spots and downtown is super close to the international airport. If I didn't love the country life so much it would be my first choice hands down. Not sure if I should be saying it here but there's also this crazy/ crusty DIY bowl out in the sticks in Itoshima (which isn't very far from downtown Fukuoka).
[/link]

*tell me once you've read this and I think I might take the link down
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 08:41:52 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »
I figure with Seoul a week is plenty of time. I'll have a Saturday through the following Sunday there and a day trip to Buson or that weird Haesindang Park would be super easy. My lady was more down for Seoul and said if I did Africa she probably would pass on it haha.

Jive Turkey, you'd say if we fly in on a Saturday and fly out on the next Sunday we should try to pop over somewhere else and not spend the whole week in Seoul? At first I was thinking Busan or something - maybe that weird Haesindang park - but there are some flights for less than 100 at the moment to Saga, Fukuoka, and a $120 one to Osaka. For China there's Qingdao which sounds like it could be interesting - could even take the ferry across. Thoughts on any of those places? Shanghai and Beijing would be more like $150 or so but maybe worth it for a w-f out of our trip.
I'm sure you could fill up a week in Korea if it's your first time to SE Asia but because Seoul is so similar to other large cities around here the novelty factor wears off pretty quick. Pusan is pretty boring honestly. Pretty industrial and not nearly as much to do coming from Seoul. There are some beach areas you can hit up that are nearby though.
Personally I'd make the most of my time and hit up another country since there are other destinations nearby.

Fukuoka is great. Very similar to Osaka. I spent 2 months there last year for work and had a blast. People go out every night. The rest of Kyushu kinda sucks, so I wouldn't spend money to go to Saga.

Osaka is awesome, lots to do there. If you decide on that or Fukuoka I can send you to some places where the locals can let you know what's going on party wise.

As far as China goes I've only been to Hong Kong and Macau, so I can't help you there.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 07:54:19 PM »
The rest of Kyushu kinda sucks, so I wouldn't spend money to go to Saga.
While I'll agree with you about Saga, Kyushu does have lots of hidden gems:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ximtDZ3o7Ts
(this was filmed entirely in Kyushu with minimal/ little Fukuoka spots. The back 5-0 down that Hubba @ 2:41 is 2 min from my place)
but yeah, if you don't have time to explore then Fukuoka should be your go to
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:02:06 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 03:59:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I'm sure you could fill up a week in Korea if it's your first time to SE Asia but because Seoul is so similar to other large cities around here the novelty factor wears off pretty quick. Pusan is pretty boring honestly. Pretty industrial and not nearly as much to do coming from Seoul. There are some beach areas you can hit up that are nearby though.
Personally I'd make the most of my time and hit up another country since there are other destinations nearby.

Fukuoka is great. Very similar to Osaka. I spent 2 months there last year for work and had a blast. People go out every night. The rest of Kyushu kinda sucks, so I wouldn't spend money to go to Saga.

Osaka is awesome, lots to do there. If you decide on that or Fukuoka I can send you to some places where the locals can let you know what's going on party wise.

As far as China goes I've only been to Hong Kong and Macau, so I can't help you there.

Haha for sure, probably avoid Saga then since I'll have the lady with me but I do plan on skating as much as I can on this trip.

Eh, I mean, I've been all over Southeast Asia - spent months at a time there but never lived there. I've been to every country south of Burman then stopped at Singapore so I still have the Phillipines and Indonesia on my list. Haven't been to China - Visited HK and Macau though - yet and I may have already mentioned it but this would be my first time in Seoul.

I'd love to go back to Japan for a bit but this would be only for a couple of days - same as my stopover in Tokyo - but I had fun as hell there. Fukuoka is looking pretty likely. I'll throw it by the lady though - it'll be her first time in this part of the world aside from having been to Thailand. Qingdao seems maybe more...quaint? People seem to speak pretty highly of it though. Apparently it's pretty booming for a city that's not a capital. It was settled by the Germans, considered the beer capital of China (for whatever that's worth haha), and still has some of that left over architecture. My girl is Austrian so she'll probably be keen on checking it out or totally not given that haha.

But yo, what are the musts of Seoul since you sound like you've spent a fair amount of time there?

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 07:11:06 PM »
Haha for sure, probably avoid Saga then since I'll have the lady with me but I do plan on skating as much as I can on this trip.

Eh, I mean, I've been all over Southeast Asia - spent months at a time there but never lived there. I've been to every country south of Burman then stopped at Singapore so I still have the Phillipines and Indonesia on my list. Haven't been to China - Visited HK and Macau though - yet and I may have already mentioned it but this would be my first time in Seoul.

I'd love to go back to Japan for a bit but this would be only for a couple of days - same as my stopover in Tokyo - but I had fun as hell there. Fukuoka is looking pretty likely. I'll throw it by the lady though - it'll be her first time in this part of the world aside from having been to Thailand. Qingdao seems maybe more...quaint? People seem to speak pretty highly of it though. Apparently it's pretty booming for a city that's not a capital. It was settled by the Germans, considered the beer capital of China (for whatever that's worth haha), and still has some of that left over architecture. My girl is Austrian so she'll probably be keen on checking it out or totally not given that haha.

But yo, what are the musts of Seoul since you sound like you've spent a fair amount of time there?

Qingdao sounds pretty cool. Gonna put that on my list.

In Seoul I stayed right across from city hall, so I was in a pretty good location. Myeongdong was right by there and was pretty lively. And the little rive walk/ park Cheongyecheon is in that area also. The palaces were cool, if you're into that kind of thing. I found a pretty cool market place (Gwangjang I think) walking distance from Changdeonkgung, I don't recall exactly where though. The city itself is nice to walk around and explore. Of course there is Gangnam. Itaewon is full of bars and clubs. Lots of expats.

Street skating in Fukuoka is great. Tons of spots in a small area. Make sure you do so at least after 9 though, even then the streets are still pretty packed and the bust factor is high. They have the best ramen in the world in Fukuoka but it is pretty heavy and pork based. If I remember correctly you don't fuck with that.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 07:04:11 PM »
Word, sounds pretty legit. Normally I don't but if I'm traveling I'm all about trying the local cuisine. Best ramen in the world? I'll definitely fuck with that. In fact, I went on a mission to find some ramen like that I had in Tokyo here in NYC to no avail. Been craving it ever since.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 05:53:35 AM »
Booked! Getting into Seoul on a Saturday, flying to Fukuoka Tuesday afternoon then back to Seoul Thursday morning. Flight back to NYC is gonna be late Sunday afternoon.

Definitely lemme know what's good in Fukuoka! Thought about it way too much but had a few beers, booked the plane ticket.  

Oh - you guys ever flown on Jeju air before?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 09:44:38 AM by sexualhelon »

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 08:29:58 PM »
Booked! Getting into Seoul on a Saturday, flying to Fukuoka Tuesday afternoon then back to Seoul Thursday morning. Flight back to NYC is gonna be late Sunday afternoon.

Definitely lemme know what's good in Fukuoka! Thought about it way too much but had a few beers, booked the plane ticket.  

Oh - you guys ever flown on Jeju air before?

Defo check out Famy skate shop. The owner is cool and will hook you up with events and places to go.
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%83%9F%EF%BC%88%EF%BD%86%EF%BD%81%EF%BD%8D%EF%BD%99%EF%BC%89/@33.5831261,130.3959421,20.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x35419183dca32e33:0x207ecce36e1d77d2!8m2!3d33.5832624!4d130.3961557?hl=en

You can just push around the Tenjin area and find heaps of spot and places to eat and drink.
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/%E3%83%97%E3%83%AD%E3%83%B3%E3%83%88+%E7%A6%8F%E5%B2%A1%E6%96%B0%E5%A4%A9%E7%94%BA%E5%BA%97/@33.5901324,130.3962767,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x3541918f09e02e13:0x95d42548e290b6fd!8m2!3d33.5901324!4d130.3981324?hl=en

There are a bunch of ramen stalls along the river here. It's a nice place to hang out at night with some beers.
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/%E3%80%92810-0000+Fukuoka-ken,+Fukuoka-shi,+Hakata-ku,+Nakasu+%E9%82%A3%E7%8F%82%E5%B7%9D%E9%80%9A%E3%82%8A/@33.5904196,130.4077836,150m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x35419194354cbfd1:0x3b710f10bb71ef73!8m2!3d33.5904196!4d130.4083321?hl=en

Pretty amazing spot here. You peep it with street view. Lots of other spots in the area too.
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/3+Chome-6-25+Momochihama,+Sawara-ku,+Fukuoka-shi,+Fukuoka-ken+814-0001/@33.5907626,130.3481292,150m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x3541930794192103:0x3af10072221ef5c4!8m2!3d33.5907626!4d130.3486777?hl=en

There's a skater owned bar here called Footage. They were cool and were down to let you know what's going on.
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/%E3%83%96%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B9%E3%83%90%E3%83%BC%E3%83%BB%E3%83%95%E3%83%83%E3%83%86%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8/@33.5888575,130.3944006,346m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x35419185e2f344d9:0xb644bb3875effa04!8m2!3d33.5888575!4d130.3956687?hl=en

At there was a really good hip hop bar in this area but I can't really remember the name or exact building it was in. Definitely worth going. On the second floor and you can see it from the street. The skaters know it so I am sure if you ask around they can tell you exactly where it is.
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/1+Chome-9-27+Maizuru,+Ch%C5%AB%C5%8D-ku,+Fukuoka-shi,+Fukuoka-ken+810-0073/@33.5924376,130.3940564,19z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x3541918927281e1d:0x7b6a2e71f905f375!8m2!3d33.5924376!4d130.3946049?hl=en

This whole area is a red light district. Not really much to see honestly but it is pretty lively.
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/%E3%80%92810-0000+Fukuoka-ken,+Fukuoka-shi,+Hakata-ku,+Nakasu+%E3%83%AD%E3%83%9E%E3%83%B3%E9%80%9A%E3%82%8A/@33.5924943,130.4063941,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x35419194e557bac1:0x9f3132993b7ce997!8m2!3d33.5924943!4d130.4076987?hl=en

Long covered market place here full of shops and restaurants etc.
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/5-103+Kamikawabatamachi,+Hakata-ku,+Fukuoka-shi,+Fukuoka-ken+812-0026/@33.5926518,130.4091237,301m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x354191954ff8e82b:0x8a9df9825508bfc8!8m2!3d33.5926518!4d130.4102286?hl=en

There's a fun brick volcano planter spot here right where that big tree on the corner is at.
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/Meiji+Dori,+1+Chome+Tenjin,+Ch%C5%AB%C5%8D-ku,+Fukuoka-shi,+Fukuoka-ken+810-0000/@33.5918831,130.4006338,150m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x35419191f9a3d14d:0x934cd434435d3e60!8m2!3d33.5918831!4d130.4011823?hl=en

You should also check for any summer festivals or firework shows going on in the city during the dates you are there.
Oh and the Tenjin area near the station is a wifi hot spot.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 09:50:19 PM »
There's a fun brick volcano planter spot here right where that big tree on the corner is at.
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/Meiji+Dori,+1+Chome+Tenjin,+Ch%C5%AB%C5%8D-ku,+Fukuoka-shi,+Fukuoka-ken+810-0000/@33.5918831,130.4006338,150m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x35419191f9a3d14d:0x934cd434435d3e60!8m2!3d33.5918831!4d130.4011823?hl=en

Spot is DOPE! Been eye-ing up for a while now but I'm only ever there in transit.
Most of the skaters roll around the park (think public park, not skate park) down near Canal City if you just want to chance it during the day?
Other than that I think the Jive man has you sorted. Tenjin area would be my go-to too but beware that the drinking/ restaurant areas are gunna be crowded if you're just looking to roll around hitting up spots. Having said that, if you're in the office areas (like where that little volcano is) you should be sweet. I live about 2 hours down the road so please feel free to hit me up if you are looking for something specifically that jive turkey didn't touch on.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 09:55:44 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 04:32:58 AM »
Fuck yeah! I'm definitely hitting up all those things so thanks a ton! Stoked it's all so close together too since I'm only there for 1.5 days.

Think I'm more than good, the lady keeps asking about vegan food but I've told her she'll be mostly out of luck I think haha. I don't really eat meat or animal products either but when I'm traveling always go with the "when in Rome" mentality.

I'll be there Tues/Wed of the last week in October if you happen to be passing through or something otherwise thanks a ton dudes!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 05:39:13 PM »
the lady keeps asking about vegan food but I've told her she'll be mostly out of luck I think haha. I don't really eat meat or animal products either but when I'm traveling always go with the "when in Rome" mentality.
See mofo, that's where I come in!
Evah dining has a vegan bento box place right inside Hakata station!!!
http://tabelog.com/en/fukuoka/A4001/A400101/40035754/
Evah also have a new restaurant @ river rain mall
http://www.hakata-riverainmall.jp/floor/shop154.html
Both are highly recommended. They also sell their bento in Tenjin area if that's where you'll be based (in the 2nd basement floor of Iwataya department store)
Check the map here (all in Japanese but if you're in Tenjin and punch "Iwataya" into google maps it should pop up): http://www.evahdining.com/macrobioticdeli.html
(↑ there's actually 2 maps: the first is for Iwataya branch, the second is for the bento shop I laready mentioned in Hakata station).

Fukuoka actually used to have a lot more vegan stuff but the LEGENDARY felafel place closed down as did another few smaller places.
There's a vegan sweets cafe out the back of tenjin in the Akasaka
https://www.facebook.com/Lily-Valley-500195700060362/?rf=454781927952790
福岡市中央区赤坂1-8-25 1F
is the addy

I'll update some more once my brain/ the caffeine kicks in!

Update:
Haven't been here yet but "plus style cafe" is also claiming vegan sweets so I'm sure they could do you up some food too. Right in the middle of Tenjin
福岡県福岡市中央区大名1丁目10−14 MATCH 1F

There's quite a few "macrobiotic" places around but that doesn't always equate to vegan. At the very least though, those type of places understand the concept of veganism (unlike the rest of Japan). If you're only there for a few days though Evah, and their huge range of bentos, will keep you and the lady happy!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 08:46:37 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 10:46:45 PM »
sexualhelon have me on ignore? someone PM that restaurant info for me?