Author Topic: consistent no complies  (Read 8648 times)

briandamaged

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
consistent no complies
« on: June 28, 2016, 02:27:28 PM »
aight so no complies I've been learning them and doin dem supposedly right, i put pressure on the front foot till it slips, then pop with blackfoot and kinda try and cradle it while jumping and moving forward with the front foot

what usually happens is after the pop the board either just fucking flips mid air and shit, or once i get my foot on my balance is so shit/the pop was barely any/i land like feet so close

i got no complies 180 pretty okay, its just this that just bugs

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
Re: consistent no complies
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 03:35:50 PM »
I learned by practicing them up a curb and over parking blocks

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 04:40:10 PM »
No complies are fucking played out.

but,
you do have to bounce the nose off of your inner thigh for it to level out. It should not hurt if you do it right.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 11:31:28 PM »
Rolling up your pants more and getting a little more fat on your thighs is the answer,...

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 08:58:14 AM »
I've been trying to learn this trick for the last year or so. I still don't have it yet but I finally understand the timing/pressure aspect. But like you I'm having problems with controlling the board. One thing that helps is if I focus on keeping my back foot flat on the tail and trying to center it as much as possible. Also I snap less with my toes like with an ollie-based trick and more with my entire foot.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 01:34:44 PM »
I can do them reasonably well and the way I figure, the key is to have your front foot kind of dangling to the side (like a sloppy kickflip setup) and as soon as your front foot comes off pop that bitch, let it smack against your thigh, jump up, and and and move your knee forward to get your board to level out. As the board comes down, bring your front foot back on it and ride away while wondering why you bothered to learn this blown out, stupid trick.

They're really fun though and after a while they'll become as second nature as ollies. It's way easier to learn them going up/over stuff than just practicing on flatground.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 02:42:36 PM »
I think that straight no complies (the one off flat, no curb) is the one no comply that's generally stinky.  All the others can look rad.  The only dude I think who could ever run those was Ray Barbee for that moment back in the day.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Dong Juan

• Rep: -7
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 08:16:33 AM »
I think that straight no complies (the one off flat, no curb) is the one no comply that's generally stinky.  All the others can look rad.  The only dude I think who could ever run those was Ray Barbee for that moment back in the day.

Jake Johnson

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 08:22:31 PM »
this trick is really fucking with me. what's the secret? how do you get the board to stay with you and pop it up? is it a snap like an ollie or more of a scoop?

Jordick

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 08:28:25 PM »
If anything straight no complies are the only ones that look good, though I do like front 3 and no comply shuvs, when done right.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 10:35:42 AM »
It helps if you pull the board back with your popping foot while you're bringing the tail down

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 11:33:29 AM »
It helps if you pull the board back with your popping foot while you're bringing the tail down

I'll try to focus on that.

in some of the how-to videos, they say to put pressure on your front foot and slide it off, causing the board to pop up. are they exaggerating? because when I try to do that, the board just turns over on its side. or maybe I'm leaning too far forward. and when I watch them do the trick, they take their front foot off quickly but it doesn't like they're literally putting a lot of pressure on their front foot and sliding it off.

ungzilla

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 01:39:13 PM »
yes to the pushing the board backwards as you pop, that's part of it. also keeping your weight centered way over the toe side of your board, so your board actually stays under you when you pop, remember you're trying to get the nose of the board to hit your inner thigh more or less.

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 03:12:53 PM »
This might just be me, but as the board is popping/hitting my leg I give my body/board a slight frontside rotation so the board is slightly in front of me. Then when I bring my front foot back I bring the whole thing back like a shifty. This definitely helped trying to do legit popped ones and stay over it.
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 06:46:43 PM »
This might just be me, but as the board is popping/hitting my leg I give my body/board a slight frontside rotation so the board is slightly in front of me. Then when I bring my front foot back I bring the whole thing back like a shifty. This definitely helped trying to do legit popped ones and stay over it.

I still don't have this trick yet but I recently figured out from watching videos that you turn your upper body slightly forward when you're planting your front foot and the board is hitting your thigh. that's been helping me control it more. I still have to get the timing and jump right but it's coming together slowly.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 07:50:42 AM »
i learned by watching ray barbee do one...i want to say over a trashcan off like the stage in cherry park or something in one of the montage sections of transworld the reason-ill check on that. he just pops it and bashes his knee on the board as he leaps forward, seriously rewound(dubbed vhs copy)that part so many times.
the hardest part was the front foot sliding off, it took a while to get comfortable doing that. to me thats when you can feel it. step-hop no complies arent fluid they look bogus to me.
on a side note id say try a mongo push with your foot on the tail into a parking block ought to force the board up into your leg. if you do that straight on youll get a no comply, at an angle the board will flip, bonus points.

Fart Sounds

• Rep: 6
  • (V)(;,,;)(V)
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 12:28:59 PM »
yes to the pushing the board backwards as you pop, that's part of it. also keeping your weight centered way over the toe side of your board, so your board actually stays under you when you pop, remember you're trying to get the nose of the board to hit your inner thigh more or less.

keeping your weight forward but pushing your tail back (think like, fakie pop off coping on a miniramp?) sounds so awkward but it works.

Jake

• Rep: -33
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 08:07:53 AM »
Great trick right here, one of my personal favorites. I've been doing these puppers since I started skating pretty much. I'll try to give my personal insights.

https://youtu.be/EDfDgtZapfY?t=1m8s

Whoever said learn them on curbs first was right, that helped me figure out the mechanics of the flat ground one.

Speed is really important, I always found it hard to do ones that looked good until I figured out to go fast. Speed also helps later on when you cradle the board off your thigh, if you pop it right your leg just sucks it up.

Timing the pop and doing it fluid is crucial, if your motions are staggered it looks horrible. A lot of people find them so awkward, because it's a different timing than ollie tricks. The tail hitting the ground should be simultaneous with your foot coming off. It's something that comes with practicing it a lot.

I used to do a lot of weird body leans and shit, I've fine tuned it even more since then. Now I keep my upper body upright and don't really lean any direction(I used to lean really far forward). Having my shoulders more over the board helps keep it under my feet, producing less bails.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 08:49:18 AM »
this trick is has me boggled. I filmed myself trying them last night so I could see what I'm doing wrong. I have a habit of lifting my back foot up before I snap the tail so I can get the board to pop. how do you keep your back foot planted on the tail and get the board to pop up? that makes no sense to me.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
  • illinoying
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 09:37:11 PM »
wallet in the pocket !!

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 08:59:33 PM »
finally figured out how to pop it properly. you have to put weight/pressure on the tail before you take your front foot off. which sounds pretty obvious but it wasn't to me. now I just have to get my front foot back on as the board comes down.

this is one of those simple/basic tricks that's kind of hard, like slappies or wallrides.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 07:04:17 AM »
I have pretty fluid frontside/backside 180 no complies, but just straight ones are a god damn mystery to me--like a properly popped one, not just some huck and pray off some stairs type bullshit.

Gonna try some of the tips in this thread!
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 02:07:50 PM »
finally figured out how to pop it properly. you have to put weight/pressure on the tail before you take your front foot off. which sounds pretty obvious but it wasn't to me. now I just have to get my front foot back on as the board comes down.

this is one of those simple/basic tricks that's kind of hard, like slappies or wallrides.
Speaking of, how the fuck do you wallride?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down