Author Topic: VR  (Read 352 times)

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
VR
« on: March 11, 2022, 08:12:48 PM »
I had a friend come visit recently and he brought his PS 4 VR gear. Pretty intense stuff, especially if you go full @Buttfart Rapedick with the herbal accoutrements.

Anyone have experience with PS 4 VR or other VR systems?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

iKobrakai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
Re: VR
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 11:04:54 PM »
No.

The fact that people have been trying since 1996 and failed every time (despite "the tech is finally here") should tell them something: we don't want it.

However, I heard that RE7 in VR is insane.

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 10:39:19 AM »
I have been using the Oculus Quest 2 for a about a year now and had some fantastic gaming experiences, been a fan of the multiplayer shooters and other single player games like Resident Evil 4 VR (which was so insane and an awesome experience)

The Quest 2 definitely made great VR games super accessible and exceeded my expectations, it costs $400 but you don't need a computer for it unless you want to side-load games/mods that aren't on the oculus store, its like paying for a game console and I think its worth the price for how well its been working.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 11:23:52 AM »
i play a lot of vr at my friends place, who recently got the new pimax vr set.

we mostly race in project cars2 or dirt rally5, and it's awesome. he's got a deluxe racing rig, too, with the best wheelbase and stuff and basically it's like sitting in a real car. fucking awesome.

i also played a bit of pavlov and other random games in vr.

i think vr is sick, i will definitely get a set at some point, but for now, the cost of either a new gpu or even pc to run it and the headset is way too much for me. some of the new headsets come with integrated cpu and gpus now, but those cost an arm and a leg. i think the new steam vr thing is like that and costs around 1.5k or something.

EDIT: whoops

I have been using the Oculus Quest 2 for a about a year now and had some fantastic gaming experiences, been a fan of the multiplayer shooters and other single player games like Resident Evil 4 VR (which was so insane and an awesome experience)

The Quest 2 definitely made great VR games super accessible and exceeded my expectations, it costs $400 but you don't need a computer for it unless you want to side-load games/mods that aren't on the oculus store, its like paying for a game console and I think its worth the price for how well its been working.

nvm what i said, 4-500 is a good price for sure. i didn't know the new quest was that cheap.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 11:39:20 PM »

we mostly race in project cars2 or dirt rally5, and it's awesome. he's got a deluxe racing rig, too, with the best wheelbase and stuff and basically it's like sitting in a real car. fucking awesome.

i think vr is sick, i will definitely get a set at some point, but for now, the cost of either a new gpu or even pc to run it and the headset is way too much for me. some of the new headsets come with integrated cpu and gpus now, but those cost an arm and a leg. i think the new steam vr thing is like that and costs around 1.5k or something.

Expand Quote

[close]

nvm what i said, 4-500 is a good price for sure. i didn't know the new quest was that cheap.

My gut instinct is to purchase PS4 VR first since there is a lower buy in price (especially refurbished; I think i've seen them for $150.00), and I am so far behind in gaming that by the time I get through the PS4 VR games (e.g., in a few years), the Quest systems should cost less.  I think a huge determining factor is the overall number of games available that are aligned with my interests.

Thanks so much everyone for sharing your experiences. My VR experience was WAY cooler than I imagined it would be and now, in the parlance of prospectors, has given me "a hankerin' for more VR."

I REALLY want to play RDR2 in VR.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Space Cowboy

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 11:38:05 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

My gut instinct is to purchase PS4 VR first since there is a lower buy in price (especially refurbished; I think i've seen them for $150.00), and I am so far behind in gaming that by the time I get through the PS4 VR games (e.g., in a few years), the Quest systems should cost less.  I think a huge determining factor is the overall number of games available that are aligned with my interests.

Thanks so much everyone for sharing your experiences. My VR experience was WAY cooler than I imagined it would be and now, in the parlance of prospectors, has given me "a hankerin' for more VR."

I REALLY want to play RDR2 in VR.

I am hoping that RDR2 Vr comes out one day, seems like such it could be made into a perfect vr game

somefucker

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 11:47:30 AM »
I think we are close to compact, mostly wireless VR.

but in the meantime the oculus 2 i tried at my friends house was the best experience, played this cool game where you are a monkey swinging around tree branches trying to tag other monkeys. so simple but so fun!!!!!!!!

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 12:20:19 PM »
We had a Samsung HMD Odyssey+ for a couple months. Made me sick to my stomach, I know people say evidently you get used to it, but nope, nausea never went away. Even with copious amounts of ginger and anti-nausea drugs (which ended up making me lactate, wtf?!). My SO played through Half Life Alyx. He loved it, but there are not many polished games like that.

i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Space Cowboy

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 11:03:20 AM »
We had a Samsung HMD Odyssey+ for a couple months. Made me sick to my stomach, I know people say evidently you get used to it, but nope, nausea never went away. Even with copious amounts of ginger and anti-nausea drugs (which ended up making me lactate, wtf?!). My SO played through Half Life Alyx. He loved it, but there are not many polished games like that.

The Samsung headsets do not offer a similar experience to proper headset made for gaming like the headset your SO was using (I am assuming rift or valve index, etc.), i found with VR you really get what you pay for in quality, polished games/experiences, and nausea issues. Having used the oculus quest 2 I had found there are a lot of polished games depending on what you are looking for, and most have comfort options to help with those prone to motion sickness.

however I am aware that just playing normal video games on a TV can give people motion sickness so it makes sense if VR just doesn't sit well with some people, only mentioned the stuff above due to seeing that you were using the Odessy which I believe may be the issue causing the motion sickness!