Author Topic: Quim on Politic  (Read 5685 times)

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Quim on Politic
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2016, 06:13:26 AM »
Stoked for Quim. Absolutely love his Static IV part and Politic is a great brand. Still got that pop!
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

BrunsdOut17

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2016, 08:41:36 AM »
Quim has been skating a lot, he shows up everywhere in jerz. Its pretty sick Politic hooked him up.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2016, 01:38:34 PM »
This place sure has changed since the days Quim was getting kooked for his rocket heelflip in that NSS ad....

It's because Quim's scene and style of skating are among the top of current trends. Back when that NNS commercial came out, no one on Slap knew who Josh Stewart was or what a Static video was. Now, people can't get enough of this stuff, which Josh deserves. It's gotten so popular that people are putting their "Gino isn't milking it" blinders on when discussing Quim. It is also ironic that Theories has gotten so big because it's the complete opposite reason Josh even started the project.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2016, 02:54:37 PM »
^?

static 2 came out in 2004, and was huge on slap. let alone static 3.  that nss commercial is from 2010. were you even here during that time? it practically ushered in the brown cords era that slap is still known for.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2016, 03:14:07 PM »
^?

static 2 came out in 2004, and was huge on slap. let alone static 3.  that nss commercial is from 2010. were you even here during that time? it practically ushered in the brown cords era that slap is still known for.

I've had this account since like late '09. I had another back in the day, I don't even remember the name. But I remember checking the boards one day before school and found out DLX canned Rasa Libre. That was '05. (Wasn't the vintage board like green and gray?) I've been here through all of that, brah.

The Static videos always had a good response, not so much the third one (which I think is still think is the best one), but they never had such a wide reception like now, like where kids are wearing the shirts and TWS is running articles of those guys, let alone awarding them video of the year and all that.

I think Reynolds' Baker 3 part and Habitat Mosaic had more to do with brown cords than anything else, though.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

Doughboy

• Rep: 21
  • Coffee and Advil
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2016, 04:03:09 PM »
Quim's the man! Good news to hear. Can't wait to see some new footage.

wario

• Rep: 60
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2016, 04:31:32 PM »
Expand Quote
^?

[close]

I've had this account since like late '09. I had another back in the day, I don't even remember the name. But I remember checking the boards one day before school and found out DLX canned Rasa Libre. That was '05. (Wasn't the vintage board like green and gray?) I've been here through all of that, brah.

The Static videos always had a good response, not so much the third one (which I think is still think is the best one), but they never had such a wide reception like now, like where kids are wearing the shirts and TWS is running articles of those guys, let alone awarding them video of the year and all that.

I think Reynolds' Baker 3 part and Habitat Mosaic had more to do with brown cords than anything else, though.

Where do you live? The effect state 2 had in NYC and elsewhere on the east coast was huge. Changed a lot of people's skating and outfits no question.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2016, 05:58:15 PM »
It's because Quim's scene and style of skating are among the top of current trends. Back when that NNS commercial came out, no one on Slap knew who Josh Stewart was or what a Static video was. Now, people can't get enough of this stuff, which Josh deserves. It's gotten so popular that people are putting their "Gino isn't milking it" blinders on when discussing Quim. It is also ironic that Theories has gotten so big because it's the complete opposite reason Josh even started the project.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2016, 07:28:21 PM »
Once I went into my local skateshop and saw Quim was in there talking to my friends working there. He started showing us his wheel brand called Sushi and was trying to get us to buy some for like $10 to fund his cross country trip from NJ to California(I think) and back with some friends. Then he started going on about how hes gonna stop in New Orleans cause some chick he met on Craigslist or something wanted to fuck and he was gonna go meet up with her. It was so sick randomly running into him though cause he was super nice but hopefully he didnt get catfished haha

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2016, 06:01:23 AM »
  I met quim and he's loose and he destroyed the contest.  Dude was amazing around when he rode for addidas.  He hippie jumped a 5 ft high gate right in front of me for fun with lance looking on.  We talked for a bit and he was helpful and seemed like he had eaten a bag of shrooms or something.   He was doing these super boned switch ollies.  He's like Rodney; you just want to press your finger to his lips while hes speaking publicly and whisper "shhhhhhh,    -don't say anything"   (hey does anyone remember Lances mini ramp part in one of the powell videos?  It's a mini ramp with spines and hips and vert extentions.)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:13:19 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2016, 07:56:28 AM »
Quim is the best, most unique flatground game ever. over the top style and personality for sure and in my eyes he posses the the same thing Gonz has, just grew up in a different time. A truly unique individual

2:24 in the best switch flip ever.
hated his Its Official part and that NSS commercial is embarrassing but Quim is a legend.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 08:00:39 AM by eranka »

Handsome B. Wonderful

• Rep: -8
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2016, 02:34:35 PM »
Expand Quote

Never forget his NSS commercial, showcasing one of the single dumbest humans to ever bail a kickflip.
[close]

Cool GIF, dude. But Quim and his hat collection are pretty garbage. I will admit though that Real-rea Quim was pretty rad, but all my appreciation for dude ended right here:

After EE, dude's ability went in the shitter. He's a failed white rapper who once had an amazing switch ollie.
Never don't believe in yourself.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2016, 02:47:06 PM »
^ I dunno man.  I don't think what yer saying is 100%  Your kinda kinda taking the steez over seas here.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2016, 05:37:29 PM »
2:24 in the best switch flip ever.
I've seen that part but forgot that I had seen it, thank you for reminding me. That switch flip is EPIC :o

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2016, 09:57:24 AM »
Expand Quote
This place sure has changed since the days Quim was getting kooked for his rocket heelflip in that NSS ad....
[close]

you're entitled to your opinion, but you're wrong when you imply that everybody backing him must be new. If you've been around throughout his career (as I have), then you know that his output hasn't changed that much, and there have been detractors right from the start, saying style was all just a gimmick, that all he could do was ollie high. Did you used to be a fan at any point? just curious. because if you never really felt him, it's normal that he's not going to blow your mind today.

Also, what is a 40-year-old pro skateboarder supposed to be? still in the game in an inspiring way, not just chasing trends, is a big part of my definition I guess.