Author Topic: [Ripped Laces] 30 Reasons Why Skateboarding is not a Sport  (Read 9400 times)

Casey Jones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
[Ripped Laces] 30 Reasons Why Skateboarding is not a Sport
« on: July 19, 2016, 01:25:18 PM »
A few of the reason's make a pretty good case. But a lot of them are completely irrelevant to the point, though true about skateboarding and I guess worth noting somewhere.

http://www.rippedlaces.com/2016/07/is-skateboarding-a-sport-30-reasons-why-it-isnt/

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -610
Re: [Ripped Laces] 30 Reasons Why Skateboarding is not a Sport
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 01:28:08 PM »
This whole "skateboarding's not a sport" deal is as embarrassing as "skateboarding's not a crime." Anyone who takes this article seriously or has "deep" conversations on the subject is petulant.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3271
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 01:55:22 PM »
Do you see dancing as a sport? If your answer is yes, then you see skateboarding as a sport.

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 01:57:50 PM »
Do you see dancing as a sport? If your answer is yes, then you see skateboarding as a sport.

I see dancing as skateboarding

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f9ItCoey0k

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 02:36:33 PM »
don't fucking drag Gesmer into your shitty threads casey

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 02:41:17 PM »
Nike disagrees with this article
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 02:53:46 PM »
The only reason why I think skateboarding can be in the Olympics is cause skating contest have always been around forever well before the X-Games even existed. The only reason why the contests ended was because mainstream skating died back then. It's just weird to think contest get so much shit when people didn't protest it when Slam City Jam or Tampa was doing it. They all got money and some sort of trophy. That is as sporty as it gets.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 04:19:22 PM »
some of that stuff in that article is not accurate.  Im not into football but you gotta admit there a lot of risk of injury there

m477

• Rep: 3
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 04:36:38 PM »
Judging street and transition is subjective just like gymnastics. I've said this a bunch but the only way to have a clear winner in Olympic skateboarding is to have measurable events like high ollie/air/hippy jump, downhill race, slalom, barrel jumping. It should be mandatory that all skaters enter all events. I'd love to see nineja and prod traing for giant slalom and barrel jumping

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 05:30:59 PM »
I find it strange that one of the arguments against skateboarding as a sport is that its a "lifestyle". If someone is super dedicated and obsessed with baseball, I'm sure you can build a lifestyle around it.. As well as play for fun or just to improve your skills, even a traditional sport like that doesn't need to be competitive.

This whole thing seems to stem from people being attached to labels. "Sport" "art" "lifestyle", who cares! You get on a board and do what you like. Some people like to stack themselves up against each other, some wanna push into the sunset and grab a beer.. at the end of the day, its all skateboarding.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 05:31:50 PM »
Skateboarding isn't a sport because when I'm in these streets I don't play

Zimmer

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 05:34:42 PM »
Skateboarding isn't a sport because when I'm in these streets I don't play

Aint no game out here.. gotta take life seriously.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 05:43:53 PM »
I find it strange that one of the arguments against skateboarding as a sport is that its a "lifestyle". If someone is super dedicated and obsessed with baseball, I'm sure you can build a lifestyle around it..

I agree. Sort of the same reason why hockey players are so different from basketball players, who are different from golfers and so on. All different sports breed different types of people to a degree. Even within the extreme sports genre, snowboarders and BMXers are so different from skaters. The lifestyle statement just seems too general to say that is why skateboarding shouldn't be in the Olympics.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 05:57:48 PM »
  Ha, not a 'sport'.  Ballet not a sport, surfing is not a sport, but all these can be sports if you want that.  Aside from being art, really skateboarding is a spiritual practice, blood relative a surfing which was born in Hawaii and to a smaller degree Tahiti many thousands of years ago and was practiced by both men and women.  Missionaries banned surfing because of it's religious ties to Hawaiin warrior culture. By what some people are arguing, anything that involves getting up off you're ass is a 'sport' but this is not true.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 06:18:52 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Zimmer

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 06:10:36 PM »
 Ha, not a 'sport'.  Ballet not a sport, surfing is not a sport, but all these can be sports if you want that.  Aside from being art, really skateboarding is a spiritual practice, blood relative a surfing which was born in Hawaii and to a smaller degree Tahiti many thousands of years ago and was practiced by both men and women.  Missionaries banned surfing because of it's religious ties to Hawaiin warrior culture.

I now need more information on how surfing was tied to Hawaiian spirituality.

I support skating as a spiritual practice. This is the next big boom, skate or die will eventually become skate to understand.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 06:16:58 PM »
  It's out there, how they made the boards was by finding a special tree and praying and singing at the tree for a year and doing all this stuff for the tree before you made a surfboard out of it.   Some breaks and some types of equipment were only to be riddin by royalty.  They had stone stands for watching the action.  When the surf was 'up' the tools went down for a day or more until the sick surf subsided. 

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 06:29:38 PM »
Skateboarding is a hobby.
A hobby that has consumed my life for the past 35 years.

Zimmer

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 06:37:35 PM »
  It's out there, how they made the boards was by finding a special tree and praying and singing at the tree for a year and doing all this stuff for the tree before you made a surfboard out of it.   Some breaks and some types of equipment were only to be riddin by royalty.  They had stone stands for watching the action.  When the surf was 'up' the tools went down for a day or more until the sick surf subsided. 

Here's a good little tidbit form some surf guy: The samoans only rode lying down, the maori had a thin body board they rode. Tahitians stood and rode lying down, its them that are believed to have gone into the uninhabited Hawaiian islands (around 1000+ years ago) and fell in love with surfing.

They felt that by swimming, fishing, sailing, they would please their gods of the sea. But surfing: this beautiful thing, that did nothing but look so graceful and beautiful, was one of the highest ways to honour their gods.

So to translate that to dirt and concrete:

They felt that by running, farming, and traveling, they would please our gods of the land. But skateboarding: this beautiful thing, that did nothing but look so graceful and beautiful, was one of the highest ways to honour their gods.

Honour the land, glide around on a piece of wood.

Mongoloid

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 06:47:31 PM »
If Ian MacKaye says skateboarding isn't a sport, who the fuck am I to argue?

Zimmer

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 06:53:59 PM »
Here's another bit of info: hundreds (even thousands) of years ago people would hold competitions and even gamble on surfing events.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 07:11:18 PM »
Damn, why'd they have to stop at 30?
you never know about pre-cum 

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 07:12:17 PM »
^OH FUCK ! - that does sound like a 'sport' zimmerman (oh well)

too much

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 07:22:35 PM »
Here's another bit of info: hundreds (even thousands) of years ago people would hold competitions and even gamble on surfing events.

Where the fuck is your proof? Links or a well told story please.

Skateboarding is stunts, flat out....the skate community is dominated by dumb jocks which is why we have this fucking debate. Own up to it and take pride in being a real life stunt man. This ain't surfing, it ain't snowboarding, and it definitely isn't high school sports.

Zimmer

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 07:25:54 PM »

Another quote from a surf guy:

"One queen would say to the other king: I've got six war canoes and you've got 100 pigs, lets bet and see who's got the better surf family." They were based on style, speed, and the size of the wave. Particularly the style and grace."

Yup sounds like a sport, not competitive in the same way as hockey or basketball, but sport nonetheless.

Zimmer

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2016, 07:27:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Where the fuck is your proof? Links or a well told story please.

Skateboarding is stunts, flat out....the skate community is dominated by dumb jocks which is why we have this fucking debate. Own up to it and take pride in being a real life stunt man. This ain't surfing, it ain't snowboarding, and it definitely isn't high school sports.

These quotes are from this guy (who sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but I'm not a surfer so who knows): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylg1EZKHgr4
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 07:29:53 PM by Zimmer »

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2016, 07:36:32 PM »
According to Webster's dictionary: Simple Definition of sport: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other.

Sport

Sport

Not sport

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2016, 07:55:03 PM »
If Ian MacKaye says skateboarding isn't a sport, who the fuck am I to argue?
That's a pretty good outlook to have I reckon

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Zimmer

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2016, 07:59:38 PM »
Even questioning skateboarding as a sport is bad. Since you're automatically limiting the concept of it.

too much

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2016, 08:48:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Another quote from a surf guy:

"One queen would say to the other king: I've got six war canoes and you've got 100 pigs, lets bet and see who's got the better surf family." They were based on style, speed, and the size of the wave. Particularly the style and grace."

Yup sounds like a sport, not competitive in the same way as hockey or basketball, but sport nonetheless.

No way...more like let's trade...the whole comparing the ancient Hawaiian culture of surfing to skateboarding is ridiculous but there is a small connection possibly which is the mystery. The maneuvers we are about to do, what we are searching for is a mystery. Sort of like the paranormal-ness of the Hawaiians chanting to their gods in their ritual with surfing, and every detail that goes with it. Whatever mythological god they're believing in while surfing there has to be a presence of that in skateboarding. Skateboarders have talked about all these feelings and emotions skateboarding gives you for decades but skateboarding has never pinpointed it on a mythological god. We always just say it's skateboarding. Yet we share this same connection with the ancient Hawaiians in the soul aspect. Maybe it's gravity I don't know some force in nature that is so weak but at times so strong it seems like a god, but we have never once had some god we say is with us while skateboarding. But what I'm getting at the real point, took a while, is how many ancient Hawaiian legends where they were able to put their soul onto rocks, stones, and different places, so most likely there are ancient Hawaiian surf gods in skateboarding, since skating is from surfing, the ancient Hawaiian gods have transferred over. 

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2016, 10:12:22 PM »
What a terrible fucking article. I am opposed to skating being in the olympics and I don't like the sportification of skating one bit but this article was just plain shit.