Author Topic: Sacramento  (Read 3046 times)

Dr Steve Brule

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
Sacramento
« on: July 20, 2016, 02:42:12 PM »
Looking for a new place to live for the next year or so, and Sacramento is one of them. Or go back down south.

But I'm interested in what you dudes think about it, whether you've visited or lived there.
For Your Health

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
Re: Sacramento
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 06:54:36 PM »
Wife and I debated moving there. It's still an option. It's hot and really spread out. That's my only opinion on it.
you never know about pre-cum 

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 06:58:54 PM »
Lots of great skaters, great spots, and great parks. I do hear it's very spread out as well. Sort of like NorCal's version of LA in both talent pool, quality of spots, and necessity of a car.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 07:52:00 PM »
Lots of great skaters, great spots, and great parks. I do hear it's very spread out as well. Sort of like NorCal's version of LA in both talent pool, quality of spots, and necessity of a car.

Aha man, is it pretty essential to drive out there? I was kind of hoping for a place that is more bike-friendly and use public transit. Not a deal-breaker by any means though.

Cost of living seems pretty reasonable, and the skate scene looks great.
For Your Health

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 09:26:03 PM »
If you're downtown/midtown I don't see a problem with not having a car. There's a lightrail that I took a couple of times that goes out to the sticks. I used to date this girl that went to Sac State and it was an alright city, never had a bad time out there. I just remember staying out there for a few days during the winter and the fog packed in all the smoke from the chimneys and my throat burned for days.

I'm not sure about the parks out there, I've only been to Mather and I drove.
you never know about pre-cum 

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 10:28:12 PM »
Pros: good parks, great spots, lots to skate. short drive to either rural river radness or SF. The Torch Club.
Cons: some of the worst air quality in the country, dismal city culture, miserable without a car.

FWIW.

The Big Dawg

• Rep: 11
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 12:02:14 PM »
The best thing about Sacramento is that it's cheap. You can find a 1 bedroom apartment in midtown for around 700$ with a lot of stuff nearby. It's just enough of a city to be able to skate around searching for spots and you'll find something. Real hot in the summer but Fall, winter and spring are dope

deadpresidents

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 12:04:43 PM »
Looking for a new place to live for the next year or so, and Sacramento is one of them. Or go back down south.

But I'm interested in what you dudes think about it, whether you've visited or lived there.

Did you ever end up over here? Feedback? I'm considering moving here, hoping that the rents haven't risen too much.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 03:30:25 PM »
The best thing about Sacramento is that it's cheap. You can find a 1 bedroom apartment in midtown for around 700$ with a lot of stuff nearby. It's just enough of a city to be able to skate around searching for spots and you'll find something. Real hot in the summer but Fall, winter and spring are dope

Well, this didn't age well.

The Big Dawg

• Rep: 11
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 04:26:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well, this didn't age well.

Hahaha true. Sacramento is still cheap compared to other big cities in California though. My rent is $850 for a 1-bedroom and that’s for sure on the cheap end.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 06:24:50 PM »
We have a great spot in midtown that just went up to $975. Still laughably cheaper than the last two places I lived (Oakland and Los Angeles). Midtown is very walkable re: the above comment on misery without a car.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

theresnothinghere

• Rep: 33
  • ugly with a heart of gold
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 05:59:19 PM »
It's for sure getting more expensive but if you're diligent about looking and are a couple or have roommates it's really doable. I share a room with my partner and pay $350, otherwise it would be $700 for my bedroom but I have a W/D set up, my own driveway and it's a good spot. Look in the Alkali Flat or Southside park area. Oak park is pretty inexpensive too. South Sac is cheap but it's kinda ghetto. Not a bad thing but if you're not used to it, it's drab and some parts are more violent. I wouldn't live past 15th ave but i like the art scene in downtown.

There's a lot of music and art but you just have to find the right person. Amis Collective, Peach House Presents, Occupy Space Movement are the best organizers in town, if you get in with them, you have something fun to do every week.
Red Museum is also a DIY secret warehouse venue that has a lot going on.

Leave your Mark (graffiti shop), boulevard skate shop, The Colony (venue), Broad Room, Verge Center for the Arts, are all good spots to hit up to meet people in the arts scene.

Follow some good bands, artists, skaters and they will frequently post up cool shit. It's an easy city to transition into comfortably if you go to the right spots.

ChromeballAccident

• Rep: 5
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 11:25:21 PM »
Just moved here, if anyone is down to skate, lmk! 

hell yeah

• Rep: 1
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 11:57:34 AM »
I am moving to Sacramento at the end of November and was wondering if any Pals have any tips on chill areas to look for housing or anything of the sort.

Thank you, any information on living in Sac is appreciated
from Tony’s cock it’s Riley Hawk

Nosferatu

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 06:00:15 PM »
What type of setup are you looking for? If you’re looking for a walkable apt go to midtown and walk around and look for “for rent” signs.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2020, 08:04:34 AM »
Just rolled around Sac the other day for the first time in about 7 years & was surprised to see that pretty much all the downtown spots I loved are still there, & still not knobbed or anything.

Plus, with the attempted fascist takeover, the streets are emptier than ever & many of the places that had very overzealous security no longer do. Get some.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2020, 08:46:05 AM »
Sacramento has some fun parks and there are a few cool street spots including a variety of ditches.

It does get super hot in the summer, but you're less 90 miles from SF and a little over 100 miles from Lake Tahoe, so you can easily get away to different climates and terrain.

There is an Amtrak Train that goes to Oakland and Truckee, so that's an option if you don't have a car, but you'd def want to rock an N95 at this point in the USA.  I've also caught $5 buses from SF to SAC in the past, but Covid days are different.

I haven't spent enough time in Sac to know the vibes these days. Matt Pailes is always discovering and hitting up really cool spots out there. Mather park is always super fun if you catch it when its empty.

hell yeah

• Rep: 1
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2021, 06:28:05 PM »
What type of setup are you looking for? If you’re looking for a walkable apt go to midtown and walk around and look for “for rent” signs.

After being homeless for about a month I finally moved into a small room in Midtown and I couldn’t be happier.

Thank you for this recommendation, I truly appreciate it
from Tony’s cock it’s Riley Hawk

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2021, 07:19:01 PM »
Miss Sacramento, my 2nd home.
Cocteau Twins

Nosferatu

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 12:37:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

After being homeless for about a month I finally moved into a small room in Midtown and I couldn’t be happier.

Thank you for this recommendation, I truly appreciate it

That’s awesome. Glad you found a spot.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2021, 04:15:56 PM »
I’m stuck at McClellan for the next month for some mandatory work training. I’m staying in Roseville near the big Sutter hospital. Not trying to do anything major, but if anyone knows a good ledge spot in the Roseville area hit me up. I’d even take a nice waxed curb.