Author Topic: Osaka and Tokyo  (Read 44081 times)

Jive Turkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
Re: Osaka and Tokyo
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2016, 02:35:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Okay, so I'm going to tokyo alone for two weeks in January right after new years and I have a few questions...
What's the weather like around that time?  I lived there a loooooong time ago and don't remember much. 
Also, how much Japanese is sufficient for survival?  I'm considering contacting an english speaking homestay or is a hostel better?
[close]
It'll be cold, like jacket and hat weather, but cold is a relative term depending on where you are coming from. If you're coming some place like Chicago or NYC you'll probably be stoked.
You will be fine with English only. Japanese are really accommodating.
[close]

I'm from sunny California...haha!  But it's not like I've never been in the snow before. 
I know you live there so it'd be hard to say, but what are your thoughts on homestay vs hostels in tokyo?
Thanks!
You'd certainly have more freedom at a hostel but if you're looking to learn something culturally, home stay would obviously be the better choice. Personally I'd go with hostel.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2016, 10:49:32 PM »
what he said, unless it was part of academic program or whatever I wouldn't go anywhere near homestay if I was on holidays.

Any SLAP posters arrive in Narita this thurs. and get interviewed by a Japanese TV station? I walked out the gate and they immediately started stalking me but they soon realized I was pretty boring because a) I speak Japanese b) I live in Japan.
"So why did you come here?"
"Ugh, cuz I'm on my way back home"
"Oh you live in Tokyo?"
"No, I live in random rural area but I'm flying back from a business trip and thus need to transfer here"
Anyway, after me they found this other white dude carrying a board (you were wearing ripped up vans old skools) and I'm sure he provided them with much more entertainment than I did.
"Wow, you are going to ride that in Japan? So cool"
"Hey viewers at home, this wacky gaijin came all the way to Japan to ride his skateboard, so wacky yeah?"
Hope it was a fellow SLAP pal

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2016, 10:26:46 AM »
is that a common thing? it happened to my friends when we went a few months ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/BJjWsOkAms9/

foureyedjim

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2016, 10:38:54 AM »
Hostel it is then.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2016, 11:18:09 PM »
is that a common thing? it happened to my friends when we went a few months ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/BJjWsOkAms9/
yeah, they hang out at the airport (mainly Narita, Kansai and Fukuoka) and stalk incoming foreigners white people. I've done a few over the years, but it just get really annoying once you know the formula.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2016, 12:30:19 AM »
so, who is japan between the 24.11 and 9.12? I'll have my board and my liver with me.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2016, 12:56:14 AM »
so, who is japan between the 24.11 and 9.12? I'll have my board and my liver with me.

If you have your board I am going to Tamachi on the 25th (Have to get my passport renewed.. and  if the weather is good I am going to spend my afternoon sucking at skateboarding at the Tamachi park).

I'd be keen to skate with someone.

No can Drink.. gave it up a few years ago.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2016, 05:42:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you have your board I am going to Tamachi on the 25th (Have to get my passport renewed.. and?  if the weather is good I am going to spend my afternoon sucking at skateboarding at the Tamachi park).

I'd be keen to skate with someone.

No can Drink.. gave it up a few years ago.

Sounds very fine to me! wrote you a pm.

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 39
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2016, 05:47:14 PM »
Hey Matze & The Drew, I'm currently in Tokyo, will be staying there til the end of the month. I don't really know my way around here too well yet, but feel free to hit me up if you're around and wanna cruise the streets or get a couple of drinks. Bring a jacket though, it's still around 18-20?C in the afternoon, but it gets cold at night.
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

FakieFlipCG

• Rep: 36
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2016, 07:54:49 PM »
I don't have much to add here except that I'm going to Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto in early March of next year with my girlfriend for a little over a week (and I'm beyond excited as I've never been on a vacation before let alone been out of the country).  

Since I'll mostly be doing touristy stuff, I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for food, site-seeings, and shopping--specifically, I'm trying to find unique skate-related souvenirs to bring back for the homies.

And if anyone wants to get food, drinks, or hang out with some southerners let me know.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2016, 05:27:30 PM »
I don't have much to add here except that I'm going to Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto in early March of next year with my girlfriend for a little over a week (and I'm beyond excited as I've never been on a vacation before let alone been out of the country).  

Since I'll mostly be doing touristy stuff, I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for food, site-seeings, and shopping--specifically, I'm trying to find unique skate-related souvenirs to bring back for the homies.

And if anyone wants to get food, drinks, or hang out with some southerners let me know.

Kyoto: I recommend walking from Yasaka shrine in Maruyama park through the Higashiyama area and ending at Kiyomizu temple. Pretty standard tourist rout but it's quite lovely. Koudaiji which is located right about in the center of that rout is probably my favorite temple/ garden.
Arashiyama is pretty boss. Opposite side of Kyoto but there is plenty of tourist stuff out there. Also going to the temple at the top of Mt. Hiezan is very nice. Lamp skate shop in Termachi is pretty rad. http://www.lamp-kyc.com/

Osaka: The Namba/ Shinsaibashi/ Horie area (different bordering neighborhoods) is pretty much where everything is at. All the bars clubs restaurants shopping you need. I'd recommend going to Chopper's place. http://whev.com/whatever-shop/shop/shop.html He's really hospitable and always stoked on visitors. I also quite like the Tennoji/ Shinsekai area. It's grimy old school Osaka.

I live in one of the most touristy areas of Tokyo now.
If our schedules match up I'm always happy to play tour guide and grab a drink, so feel free to hit me up.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2016, 11:43:44 AM »
I can chill 11/25 at night...assuming I sleep alright on the plane.  I don't think I'll be taking my board, I want to travel light and won't have much time for skating.  I was thinking about going to that anime area that night to look at some weird Japanese stores, drink some Asahi, and play some arcade games.  I will have Whatsapp while I'm out there so shoot me a PM if that sounds like a good time  :-*.

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2016, 01:08:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah, they hang out at the airport (mainly Narita, Kansai and Fukuoka) and stalk incoming foreigners white people. I've done a few over the years, but it just get really annoying once you know the formula.

We also got interviewed at the airport. They asked if they could come and follow us when we go skating but we politely declined.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2016, 04:46:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

We also got interviewed at the airport. They asked if they could come and follow us when we go skating but we politely declined.
LOL, they're so desperate to interview the whiteys :D
Cold snap just hit big time and apparently it's snowing in Tokyo today. I went for a bit of roll yesterday and got by with a hoodie/ beanie combo  but I don't know how much longer that'll last...

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 39
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2016, 08:53:44 PM »
Yeah, it's fucking snowing in Tokyo today, confirmed. But I was out skating the day before yesterday and it was like super sunny and 15?C / 59?F - and it will get nicer again over the weekend.
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2016, 09:16:39 PM »
as long as it dries up enough to skate tomorrow ill be stoked.

Any other PALS want to hit up Tamachi with me and Matze?

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2016, 09:36:52 PM »
If someone wants to have a beer today, let me know.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2016, 09:42:15 PM »
Went from sunny 19 degrees to 2 degrees and wet snow. This sucks.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2016, 04:09:24 PM »
sunny AF in kyushu today boys. Enjoy your roll at tamachi!

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2016, 03:08:15 AM »
We had a fun session, drew killed it.

https://youtu.be/gzEpIQMz7wc

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2016, 05:40:23 PM »
Shin still kills it

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 498
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2016, 07:21:16 AM »
Heading to Osaka in March if anyone happens to be out there. Rolling with 1 or 2 other homies right now.

doyle

• Rep: 210
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2016, 01:44:38 PM »
FAR-EAST FORTNIGHT

Here's a video I made from my trip to Tokyo this summer if anyone wants to check it out!

foureyedjim

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2016, 10:16:21 PM »
I'll be in Tokyo in a week in Asakusa, if anyone wants to meet up I'm down!

Anyone got tips for interesting back streets in Tokyo?  I want to hit up all the big spots like Shinjuku, Akihabara, and Harajuku, but also wanna get some photos in less touristy areas.  Also wanna check out good book / skate shops if y'all got recommendations.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2016, 10:47:07 PM »

Anyone got tips for interesting back streets in Tokyo?  I want to hit up all the big spots like Shinjuku, Akihabara, and Harajuku, but also wanna get some photos in less touristy areas.  Also wanna check out good book / skate shops if y'all got recommendations.
I live walking distance from Asakusa. Feel free to hit me up.

foureyedjim

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2016, 11:46:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I live walking distance from Asakusa. Feel free to hit me up.

Word, PM'd you.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2016, 10:39:40 PM »
Sure some other people will give you Tokyo tips as I'm out/ down in the boonies BUT we are having a hot winter this year. Got my final roll in for the year at it was a good 15 degrees out

JumpManShorty

• Rep: -86
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2017, 06:04:57 AM »
I'm currently doing a season in Hakuba and hopefully heading to Tokyo when spring rolls around. Any tips you guys can give me for skating in Tokyo?
Any Slap'rs lurking around Hakuba for the winter season?

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2017, 11:34:49 PM »
Hey Japan Pals-

I will be in Japan for the next 10 days, 5 in Tokyo, a few in Kyoto, and a couple days around Mt. Fuji. Wondering what the best core Tokyo shop is, and if there is a central "plaza" spot to meetup with skaters?  I won't have much time to skate, but have always been fascinated by the Tokyo scene. Any general tips for exploring the scene not already mentioned would be very helpful.

Also- would anyone be willing to "rent" me a complete to use for a day or so? I've been backpacking and couldn't bring my board along. Anyone willing to help I will gladly pay. Thanks in advance!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2017, 11:51:40 PM »
I 'll let others field the spots part (although there isn't really a plaza type community from my understanding but that nike park in shibuya is always a good start). There's a bit of an Ikebukuro crew these days no? Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm in the wrong part of Japan.
Also, people will tell you that street skating during business hours isn't really going to happen. Shop wise, I've always been partial to:
Stormy (for their selection alone) http://www.stormy.co.jp/
Arktz http://www.arktz.com/
and Hesh Dawg which are all in the same general vicinity http://heshdawgz.com/
(with the first two being very close to said park in Shibuya)
California Street is also great if you're going to be in Daikanyama anyway http://www.californiastreet.net/
Went to a shop I've never been to the other day but they were super snobby https://prime-skateboard.com
personally I wouldn't give them my money...
Jive Turkey is probably the guy to contact about all this though
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:54:01 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »