Author Topic: Help With Impossibles  (Read 14145 times)

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
Help With Impossibles
« on: July 28, 2016, 11:10:35 PM »
I can do the wrap around on flat but can't seem to get them all the way around when I'm actually doing the trick. Any tips?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Help With Impossibles
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 06:51:34 AM »
Actually ollie, instead of scraping the tail.

Get that front foot out of the way asap.

WRap is fast in a tight circle not some big slow swooping wrap. That will get it under you faster.

MintySandwhich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »
Actually ollie, instead of scraping the tail.

Get that front foot out of the way asap.

WRap is fast in a tight circle not some big slow swooping wrap. That will get it under you faster.

Wrong

You don't ollie when doing an impossible, You treat it like a pressure flip.

1. Backfoot in the spot for a tre flip, front foot like a no-comply setup (somewhat hangin off, easy to get off)
2. Begin to jump
3. Simultaneously scoop your backfoot like a pressure flip
4. Simultaneously have your front foot fall off like a no-comply (but don't plant your foot on the ground).
5. Still rising from the jump, Scoop your backfoot with the board all the way around, you have to do this very quickly
6. Front foot still outta the way
7. watch it come around and land.

I practiced just standing and doing this motion with only my backfoot. To understand the rotation of it. The trick to it is whipping it around as quickly as possible.

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 11:49:19 AM »
My impossibles were the bomb. Somewhere between pressure/ollie. Totally vertical wrap, like a backflip. Not like the effete hipster impossibles these days. Just pull your back foot straight up when the board is upside down.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 11:54:59 AM »
Yeah, you're totally right.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »
Maybe I'm not communicating my idea effectively

You do not ollie. He^ did not ollie.

There is a difference between an ollie and jumping. When I say ollie, I mean popping your tail, sliding your foot forward, leveling out.
Yes, you do scrape your tail with impossible, but I personally do not claim that as an ollie. An ollie requires your front foot, which is not incorporated with an impossible at all. You wouldn't say ollie when performing a pressure flip, nor an impossible.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 03:14:32 PM »
Lol, ok dude. Argue semantics all you want  ;)

Saying Reider didn't ollie? Seriously? If he didn't ollie why'd he crouch so low? He certainly didn't 'pressure flip' into it.

Fact is you can do them both ways. Your approach/method will result in teaching him the bad way, trust me.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 03:32:08 PM »

Saying Reider didn't ollie? Seriously? If he didn't ollie why'd he crouch so low? He certainly didn't 'pressure flip' into it.

Fact is you can do them both ways. Your approach/method will result in teaching him the bad way, trust me.

Fair enough, i just see it as jumping and scooping it up with you pressure wise

Let bygones be bygones

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 03:55:23 PM »
Is a front foot one, like a super fucked up heelflip?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 12:05:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fair enough, i just see it as jumping and scooping it up with you pressure wise

Let bygones be bygones

Dylan scrapes and lifts....I've seen photos of his tail and it looks like the pressure flip.....you can almost see his board pause on the ground before it elevates.....

My advice is practice the no comply version....to get the wrap.....then yes....key is keep front foot super light and get it out of the way.....

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 05:12:03 PM »
never been able to do the (ollie version) well. My mate was taught to do them with his front foot right up the front of the nose and he has a mean one that defs does a full wrap, but yeah, he seems to scoop more than he actually ollies... ???

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 10:13:25 AM »
one day i was driving home from school and thought that i mentally figured out this trick. as soon as i got home, i grabbed my board and landed it perfectly second try. i wouldve had it first try but i took my front foot off because i was so surprised that i got that close. after i landed it, it texted my friend and told him that i landed an impossible and might have them figured out. i havent landed one since.

whenever i try now, they do that impossible flip thing that mike mo does. ive landed tons of those on accident.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 09:01:13 AM »
never been able to do the (ollie version) well. My mate was taught to do them with his front foot right up the front of the nose and he has a mean one that defs does a full wrap, but yeah, he seems to scoop more than he actually ollies... ???

I learned it with my front foot hanging off the nose....so super stinky....then you'd leave the last inch of grip off your nose so you could do one foots and impossible easier...

shit_for_brains

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 09:13:51 AM »
one day i was driving home from school and thought that i mentally figured out this trick. as soon as i got home, i grabbed my board and landed it perfectly second try. i wouldve had it first try but i took my front foot off because i was so surprised that i got that close. after i landed it, it texted my friend and told him that i landed an impossible and might have them figured out. i havent landed one since.

whenever i try now, they do that impossible flip thing that mike mo does. ive landed tons of those on accident.

That's all I can do. I manage to land them too. I try to do an impossible and I end up with some 360 shove under flip thing. I experience no pleasure from landing that rick but I can win games of skate with it every time. The closest I get to impossibles are 360 shoves where my toes somehwat maintain griptape contact. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 10:07:43 AM »
Do the no comply till you get how to wrap it.....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 01:06:38 PM »
My front foot is in the flip (kick or tre) position.

Also, I suggest thinking of how a bicycle crank (or steam locomotive) motion works for the wrap - sort of a downward motion, then forward, then up and back down.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 04:29:49 PM »

I love/hate moments like this. It's amazing when skateboarding speaks to you and a certain trick or obstacle vibes you the right way and even if you've never thought of it, it just works
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Hannity

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 08:44:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I love/hate moments like this. It's amazing when skateboarding speaks to you and a certain trick or obstacle vibes you the right way and even if you've never thought of it, it just works
it really is something, when a trick just haunts you so long mentally, and then something clicks. one little tweak later and you're landing it.

ungzilla

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 09:22:53 AM »
there is no ollie. that doesn't mean you can't do them high as fuck, it just means that your front foot doesn't do shit. you may as well claim a no comply involves an ollie if someone can do them high and they crouch down?? anyway whatever.

back foot pretty much straight across both 'pockets' with a good amount of toe hanging off, pop board directly back at your shin (no shuv-ing required), "slide" back big toe towards the farthest rear truck bolt, front foot is super lazy, maybe keep it in kickflip position so it doesn't have to go as far to get out of the way.

idk, just watch ellington and dylan do them over and over.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 09:24:49 AM by ungzilla »

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 04:14:00 AM »
back foot pretty much straight across both 'pockets' with a good amount of toe hanging off

it's amazing how one sentence can change everything.

i wrapped one today thinking about this... thank you.

ungzilla

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 01:39:58 PM »
 8)

post it in the footage thread, i wanna see!

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2016, 12:16:37 AM »
Hang your toes off the tail
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 977
  • the moon rules
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 10:54:14 PM »
Back foot halfway on your back bolts and halfway on the tail. Have your toes hanging off. Use the pressure to lift the board onto the back wheel that your toes are hanging off from. Kick your back foot forwards while jumping. Now just do all of that in a split second
fuck you bama

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 11:14:56 PM »
Someone please explain the difference between 3 flip scoop and impossible scoop....cause I think they are different.....and everyone says on both tricks....'oh just scoop it'.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 12:57:09 PM »
Expand Quote
back foot pretty much straight across both 'pockets' with a good amount of toe hanging off
[close]

gonna try this method later today when I get out of work.
trick has been eluding me for years.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2016, 04:18:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

gonna try this method later today when I get out of work.
trick has been eluding me for years.

That tip is totally on point. Especially the toe hanging over part - makes it easier to grab with your foot and wrap.

I would add that I put my front foot in the front pocket with my heel hanging way off (almost like some fucked up kickflip footing). That way you can just slide your foot out of the way - as it is true, the front foot does nothing in this trick.

Fart Sounds

• Rep: 6
  • (V)(;,,;)(V)
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2016, 03:56:30 PM »
Someone please explain the difference between 3 flip scoop and impossible scoop....cause I think they are different.....and everyone says on both tricks....'oh just scoop it'.

Like some of the other dudes are saying, for an impossible you kind of get the ball of your foot in the toe-side pocket and sort of push down, forward and up while you get your front foot out of the way. Whereas for me at least, a 360 flip pop is about the same as a pop shuvit -- I pop, my back foot goes backwards and then up above the board. and obviously you're flicking with your front foot too.

...I will say though that getting the hang of impossibles completely fucked my brain up for 360 flips. Totally lost the muscle memory, it's like relearning every time.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2016, 12:30:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Like some of the other dudes are saying, for an impossible you kind of get the ball of your foot in the toe-side pocket and sort of push down, forward and up while you get your front foot out of the way. Whereas for me at least, a 360 flip pop is about the same as a pop shuvit -- I pop, my back foot goes backwards and then up above the board. and obviously you're flicking with your front foot too.

...I will say though that getting the hang of impossibles completely fucked my brain up for 360 flips. Totally lost the muscle memory, it's like relearning every time.

When I 360 flip it's all scooped off my toes, and when I impossible (which I've only been able to do since this thread started so take it for what you will) my foot is way more flat. Not totally flat, but just about. Flatter and much more of my foot on the tail.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2016, 07:51:25 PM »
Is a front foot one, like a super fucked up heelflip?
Think so, when I was learning heels fairly recently, if my foot wasn't far enough off the board, it'd do like wrap around my front foot and turn 180 degree and then I'd land it. Never tried doing it on purpose though.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 08:07:35 AM »
Just watch from 1:03 over and over again.

Try not to cry, but it's ok if you do.

You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes