Author Topic: Do we need more discussion on the gay 'issue' really?  (Read 8281 times)

Hardlyart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
Do we need more discussion on the gay 'issue' really?
« on: August 10, 2016, 08:35:09 AM »
http://www.huckmagazine.com/perspectives/reportage-2/gay-skaters/

Its a pretty well written and researched piece, but it does make me wonder if we need to talk about it any more.  Is it really an issue or shall we just leave it alone?

shit_for_brains

Re: Do we need more discussion on the gay 'issue' really?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 08:41:54 AM »
Good point can a mod delete this?

sms_b

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 08:53:49 AM »
“Totally.”

swag nollies

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 08:59:52 AM »
That article is pretty gay. If you wanna suck dick, why should I care?  

Skateboarding has never really used sex to market their shit, exept Shorty's Rosa, I cant really think of any other examples. So why market shit the gay way? Thats all this is, cause I dont think anyone really gives a fuck.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:06:39 AM by bawtawd »

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 489
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 09:01:07 AM »
speaking of the gay issue... where is GAY?
haven't seen him post on here since a while.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 09:06:49 AM »
We need more discussion on what exactly is happening in this photo... Dude didn't have a board?
you never know about pre-cum 

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 09:55:15 AM »

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 10:17:12 AM »
man i don't really get into the whole fake style discussion, but that photo is just too much

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 10:22:02 AM »
That article is pretty gay. If you wanna suck dick, why should I care?  

Skateboarding has never really used sex to market their shit, exept Shorty's Rosa, I cant really think of any other examples. So why market shit the gay way? Thats all this is, cause I dont think anyone really gives a fuck.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 10:26:23 AM »
I recently moved to a small military town from the big city. It was shocking at how homophobic and generally shitty some of the locals are here. Considering gay people have only won the right to marry last year, and it was an incredibly controversial topic; I feel more discussion is definitely needed. Especially with skateboarding being an industry that caters to teenage boys who are incredibly insecure about being perceived as feminine.

Regardless, isn't this just a paraphrased rewrite of an article Huck put out several years ago?  
As soon as I started reading I thought "Hang on I've read this before" so I skipped ahead and sure enough Steve Olson says "it's 2011" so yeah it's an old article.

I think we should continue talking about it until it's no longer an issue. If people don't wanna come out that's there business but if they do I think we should welcome it.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 10:28:32 AM »
a)sex is second only to weed in overused over-saturated marketing techniques in the past ten years. get real
b)i agree with sodajerk. as long as you can't name 5 openly gay pros, this conversation needs to keep going. there's no, oh, 'their hips are different, they have bad style' argument here.
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 10:41:55 AM »
There's still a lot of ignorance in skateboarding and the skateboarding industry regarding homosexuality, so, as stated, until we can all name a handful of openly gay pro skateboarders, it does seem to be a topic worth revisiting.

swag nollies

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 10:49:56 AM »
Reuben and Mango kissed in the bathroom.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 10:53:39 AM »
Reuben and Mango kissed in the bathroom.

Three more we're almost to equality

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 11:10:02 AM »
It would've been great growing up to have someone in skateboarding who I could've looked up to and said, "He's like me, and look at what he's done!" and there's still kids that need that. There are 0 openly gay pro skateboarders as of right this second (at least big name, covered skaters). We need to keep having this discussion until there are enough that kids don't feel alienated. It's the same for female skaters. It's the same for skaters in the Middle East and Africa. It needs to happen, until it doesn't need to happen anymore.

Handsome B. Wonderful

• Rep: -8
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 11:23:26 AM »
It would've been great growing up to have someone in skateboarding who I could've looked up to and said, "He's like me, and look at what he's done!" and there's still kids that need that. There are 0 openly gay pro skateboarders as of right this second (at least big name, covered skaters). We need to keep having this discussion until there are enough that kids don't feel alienated. It's the same for female skaters. It's the same for skaters in the Middle East and Africa. It needs to happen, until it doesn't need to happen anymore.

You are 100% right. I skate with several gay folks, men and women, and knowing the shit they went through growing up, ESPECIALLY as a gay kid who enjoyed skating, which can be as undeniably jock-ish as it is creative, just knowing that they weren't alone would have been huge.

That being said, watch Reda's new show on Vice. It's going to surprise a lot of people in the next few months.
Never don't believe in yourself.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 11:32:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You are 100% right. I skate with several gay folks, men and women, and knowing the shit they went through growing up, ESPECIALLY as a gay kid who enjoyed skating, which can be as undeniably jock-ish as it is creative, just knowing that they weren't alone would have been huge.

That being said, watch Reda's new show on Vice. It's going to surprise a lot of people in the next few months.

What's it about? Didn't know he had a show on there.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

HungUp

• Rep: 40
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 11:51:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

BA of the closet, on 18 confirmed.

Sidewalk Funk.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 12:02:37 PM »

This

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 02:50:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This

why? whats it about?

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 02:57:06 PM »
So Vice dropped O'Dell and gave Reda a show?

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 03:08:49 PM »
All I see on Vice sports is Reda for the world with the  Daewon interview...is there another show he has on vice?  Im not finding it

adamconway123

• Rep: -4
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 06:14:42 PM »
Funny that Steve Olson is the only one interviewed that doesn't sound like an idiot...with the exception of Templeton's last remarks.

Also funny that some of the (supposed) gay skaters are out of the closet EXCEPT for within the skateboarding community.

I'd like to hear opinions from younger people...because all this speculation from old guys with outdated mindsets is pretty annoying.  There's certainly one person, not out of the closet but certainly most everyone is aware, who's street cred has not been tarnished whatsoever.

Handsome B. Wonderful

• Rep: -8
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2016, 06:25:12 PM »
All I see on Vice sports is Reda for the world with the  Daewon interview...is there another show he has on vice?  Im not finding it

There are only a few episodes so far and the only skating one so far is with Daewon. It's not specifically a skate show, but BA has an episode.
Never don't believe in yourself.

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2016, 07:09:01 PM »
B.A. and Tony Cox are gay. Who cares. It's no big deal. It's 2016.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2016, 07:41:08 PM »
Michael Sam became the first US athlete to come out, remember that was a big story. Every other athlete the level of people caring drops.

A skater comes out gay there would just be a big "who gives a shit?"

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2016, 08:43:58 PM »
i've served with 2 openly gay people in the military, but i have yet to meet a single gay skater...

also gay people fucking know how to party. ever been to a boring party where the majority is gay dudes? it's hella fun.

HungUp

• Rep: 40
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2016, 08:52:03 PM »
B.A. and Tony Cox are gay. Who cares. It's no big deal. It's 2016.