Poll

is it?

i hope it is, fuck spending $30 on a dvd
14 (17.9%)
probably not, but hopefully it makes companies reconsider the current filming process
17 (21.8%)
no way...when's the lakai video dropping again?
38 (48.7%)
no, i advocate consumer responsibility
9 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: is youtube killing the skate video?  (Read 7299 times)

ross

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
is youtube killing the skate video?
« on: February 06, 2007, 10:28:41 AM »
while i wait patiently for videos from lakai, habitat, aws, and every other homie vid that has a right to exist, knowing that i will just watch them on you tube when they get posted, i'm starting to wonder why companies are even bothering to spend years hyping a video, spending a ton of their hard earned money on filming trips/music rights/dvd pressing and all these things that go into production of a "big time" skate video.  sure, i'm all for supporting these companies , and i'll probably buy the hardgoods, footware and maybe a shirt or two from these companies because i like them, but they will not make a cent from me just from the video that they spent years making.

so, now that youtube has successfully infiltrated the skateboard video market, will companies begin to reconsider the current skate video paradigm (years of production, constant delays, expensive pricetags)?  Does it even matter?

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
Re: is youtube killing the skate video?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 10:30:19 AM »
videos sell products

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 10:31:59 AM »
hes known as the boss, damn its ricky ross, him and the industry do thangs
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

milty804

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 10:42:46 AM »
i see what you mean, but there is nothing like owning a collection of your favorites, sure its great to be able to watch in part of a video while you are online, but nothing replaces owning a copy of mouse or welcome to hell, its all about having the collection

isaac

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 10:51:03 AM »
if the quality of the video on youtube gets better then there might be something to worry about.

Mad Max

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 10:52:07 AM »
bring back video

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 10:54:29 AM »
free promo videos seem to be getting more popular every day, which is the way that most videos should be done.
only the big productions like lakai etc. should be sold cause people will buy those even if they could watch em on youtube.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 11:08:29 AM »
I think the unjustified increase in cost of DVDs over VHS is what's killing it. If a DVD was 15 bucks like a VHS used to be, I would still buy but paying an extra 15 bucks for a product that cost about the same or even less to produce is not something I am too keen on.

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
great point, dvd's cost the shop more to buy then we used to sell vhs tapes for.

its silly.

a skate dvd should retail at $20-$22
I need a coffee

manual

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 11:30:17 AM »
I love skate videos I love having the real dvd or video with the case leaflets bonus extras good qaulity the skip button on my remote or slo mo etc. Youtube and downloading videos suck it takes soo much away from skate videos.I dont understand this whole fuck the industry thing with the skate videos especially,skate videos are great there entertaining and pump you up to skate and most of them are just pure eye candy I dont see why people should "fuck the industry" shit when theres wonderfull videos out there to watch and learn from and just all that.I bought Yeah Right on tape when it first came out for £35 which is about 50 60 dollars which is insane yes but it influenced my skateboarding a fuck load I loved it a lot and kept it in perfect condtion.I have about 120 real skate videos and dvds and its great having the real thing especially videos like 20 shot,trilogy,mouse,paco,h-street blah blah.Youtube is just full of shit,kids ollieing off curbs and Mike Carroll or Puleo in ultra shit qaulity its disrespectfull i think.Theres so much crazy footage flying around on the internet that kids are used to it and there not impressed by anything anymore and dont treat footage of certain skaters that you dont see much as special, and ahh i dont know man I just dont like youtube and stuff skateboarding doesnt seem so special to some people nowadays.Sorry im blabbing on im not that good at posting I get excited and just type everything in a crazy order and a lot of it.I probably have a.d.d or adh or something.My vote goes to the 4th choice no youtube shit just full on real videos like it used to be.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 11:33:55 AM »
YES, FUCK SKATE VIDEOS! SKATERS NEED TO SHOW THEIR WORTH IN CONTESTS, AND CONTESTS ONLY!

HEHEHEHEHE

kev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 11:34:32 AM »
I only buy videos that I know will be mind blowing.  Dying to Live was my first vid, then I got Sorry, then Baker 3.  Fully Flared will be number 4.

Edward Penishands

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 11:37:50 AM »
I only buy videos that I know will be mind blowing.  Dying to Live was my first vid, then I got Sorry, then Baker 3.  Fully Flared will be number 4.

no wonder you are such a douche bag, growing up on jamie thomas, chris cole, andrew reynolds, and jim greco can have quite the effect on a child.  although sorry is a great video.

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 11:51:10 AM »
YouTube quality sucks ass.  I'd rather watch a DVD on the 52" HD.

middleschoollurker

• Rep: 1
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 11:58:30 AM »
Youtube is good for when you're at work and stuff, but I'd rather own my own copy and watch it on a real screen.

kev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 12:05:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

no wonder you are such a douche bag, growing up on jamie thomas, chris cole, andrew reynolds, and jim greco can have quite the effect on a child.  although sorry is a great video.

It's not like I watched em all the time.  I probably watched bag of suck on youtube more than any of those vids.

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 12:06:51 PM »
um id like to point out our IRC community raped it about 6 years before youtube even had a chance to come around. pretty much everything on there came from us originally, vhs, dvd rips, all of it. you can thank us later.

forgot to add, fuck you jim gray.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 12:08:34 PM »
Youtube is good for when you're at work and stuff, but I'd rather own my own copy and watch it on a real screen.

exactly, youtube is all grainy.....i'll keep buying videos....although, I will admit that I've been buying less videos lately, but not because of The Internet, more because they're getting so expensive

that last Toy Machine vid was $1/minute
hardly art, hardly starving

the_96

• Rep: 3
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 12:11:06 PM »
resisted youtube on principle in the beginning but now i use it
to look up obscure stuff. never thought i'd get to see the spitfire
video after passing it up in 94.

The orginal 411 was a great compromise: low price, minimal
art design but you got your fix of current footage. Was good
for the industry until everyone started sitting on their footage.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 12:11:37 PM »
a video should cost less than half the price of a deck...  like, somewhere between the price of a tshirt and a deck.

Lomaz

• Rep: 1
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 12:21:24 PM »
There are just too many videos watering down the industry.  411's, digital, independent videos etc.  There might be one or two guys you're stoked on in a video, but that's not enough to make you want to buy the whole video.  So you just wait for youtube.

Truthfully if there was less videos, but the ones that did come out were more hyped up and anticipated, then it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

manual

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 12:50:23 PM »
Yeah youtube is good for watching sections from rare videos you may never see or find to buy. Its cool you can search one skater and it comes up with all there sections and stuff aswell.Using youtube like a video game demo disc is kinda cool aswell just so you can get a rough idea of what the feel of the video is like etc. Its just that some kiddys just rely on downloading or watching new skate vids on the internet and refusing to buy them when the easily could cause they do actually have enough money to.You dont have to be obsessive and buy 100 videos but just the odd one here and there.I just read that Jim gray topic it changed my mind about a few things and was highly entertaining.

ross

• Rep: 0
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 01:04:23 PM »
yeah, i guess i should have reviewed my post because it did come off way too industry insider-ish.  i'm outside the industry, and this isn't some shady census, honest injun.  to me, it doesn't make sense to spend my money on dvds when they're so readily available free versions of it circulating the internet, regardless of quality, and was wondering if this was a trend amongst other people.  i guess this is nothing exclusive to skateboarding, the same discussion has been going on in the music industry for years.

i kind of wish companies would start making more short videos that would sell for very cheap (regal road/kalis in mono and cheese & crackers come to mind) or offer as free downloads, rather than turning skate videos into monolithic blockbusters that almost always fall short of the hype (though there are notable exceptions).  this might saturate the market with expendible videos, but i think it would makes the most sense financially for companies and from a promotional standpoint.

i guess the kids love the shiny packaging though, so to each his own.

ymhy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 01:06:51 PM »
youtube is not killing skate videos, the quality is too shitty for it to do that. 

like somebody said, it's all about the collection.

make a video that's actually dope, and will stand the test of time instead of being the flavor of the month, and it's something i'll pay money for.  otherwise, i don't really even give a shit in the first place.

ymhy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 01:07:22 PM »
and let me say what a stupid fucking topic

way to bleed a stupid issue over into something even stupider

ymhy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2007, 01:10:19 PM »
i mean, are any rappers nowadays so badly hit by limewire/soulseek piracy that they can't live the lavish lifestyle that they always rap about?  i don't think so.  CDs still fly off the shelves if they're popular, responsible consumers still buy the dope shit to support the artists, and the same is true for skate videos.  ain't nobody gonna go hungry because of youtube.

shit, i have to stop, i dont even endorse this debate in the first place.

manual

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2007, 01:15:21 PM »
youtube is not killing skate videos, the quality is too shitty for it to do that. 

like somebody said, it's all about the collection.

make a video that's actually dope, and will stand the test of time instead of being the flavor of the month, and it's something i'll pay money for.  otherwise, i don't really even give a shit in the first place.

Perfectly true ends this topic ^.last thing I would like to say in this topic, people watch promos love it for 2 weeks at the most then throw them away and forget they ever came out. eg circa its time.that was supposed to be sold wasnt it?I thought it was then they brought it out for free in magazines.Skate videos should be a collection like ymhy said I just ment you dont need 100 plus just as many as you can afford/want.But to have really good ones that are still good over a long time if not for ever is what to do I think.Rather than loads of free ones and just footage flying around carelesly everywere.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2007, 01:27:08 PM »
i see what you mean, but there is nothing like owning a collection of your favorites, sure its great to be able to watch in part of a video while you are online, but nothing replaces owning a copy of mouse or welcome to hell, its all about having the collection
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

dave v-house

• Rep: 15
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2007, 01:28:01 PM »
I think that youtube wouldn't be such an issue if the overall quality of videos were higher. When videos are coming out on a monthly basis and are all quite similar then I think that kids will tend to just say fuck it and download it.

Then there is also the other side of the equation where videos are being way over produced. Frankly I don't care if you used your helicopter to get an angle, and the whole video was shot on film. Another thing that kind of bugged me was the fact that DC did the "delux edition" dvd. The first video was $35 if I remember and then they make another version for just as much with a little extra footage. I think if they're going to do that then they should've just pushed back the release and just made the one video more epic.

What I think we need more of is videos like the Real vids, Cheese and Crakers, and the new City vid. All of the videos have solid skating, are shot and edited real well, and are coming out at resonable prices or even free. After seeing the real vids, Cheese and Crackers and the few parts of the City vid online I'd be willing to buy them because face it, that is some solid fucking skating, it gets me pumped, and I think that should be the goal of the vid.

Basically I just want videos to focus on the skating. Take the time get good tricks, good shots, and a nice edit and the video will speak for itself, regardless of how much money gets pumped into it.

otis b driftwood

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2007, 01:29:59 PM »
snuff should be the model for all skate videos, unfortunately it seems to be public domain right now.