Author Topic: Royal trucks  (Read 4983 times)

fang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
Royal trucks
« on: August 25, 2016, 07:34:06 AM »
Are the newer royals any good? I had a pair in 99, and my vague memory of those was : reminded me of venture trucks but the holes on the baseplates, got big, quick. Anyway, I ride indys 99% of the time, but I occasionally ride venture lows every couple of years... kinda bored of always getting the same setups, so I was thinking it was venture time again. Watched a couple of things about royal with carroll and mariano and thought maybe royal? But also dunno if they're worth a shot. So I guess, anyone with info, how would they compare to venture?

micky682

Re: Royal trucks
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 09:51:40 AM »
I don't think even the team rides them.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 10:01:15 AM »
my homie swears by em and that was coming from a die hard thunder rider.  He threw the bones bushing in there and it felt good riding his board.  If i had to change trucks frequently i would try em

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 05:48:40 PM »
I don't think even the team rides them.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 05:52:31 PM »
They changed em no?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 06:43:05 PM »
Has Hsu always been on royal?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 07:26:08 PM »
Has Hsu always been on royal?

He was on Krux a looooong time ago.

I'd be down to try the new ones. Their highs are pretty low.
you never know about pre-cum 

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 03:05:28 AM »
Looks like they are trying to give a second life to the brand but i'm not sure, last pair I tried was on 2002...

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 05:02:36 AM »
I'm skating some kennedy's right and I'm really happy with them! Wouldn't say they're better than anything else, but not worse either, give 'em a go!

Jordick

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 08:19:40 PM »
The newest geometry looks really fucking good, like a mix between venture and thunder. I feel like having a diverse team like they do means they're doing something right.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 08:41:10 PM »
They look good, but they're almost 3mm lower than regular thunders! That's just too damn low for me.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 12:00:32 AM »
i liked the IVś and had to get the new ones to try and they didnt dissapoint until i noticed how thin the baseplates are

thin and forged baseplates feel really weak to me, like when i stomp my tricks the trucks feel like they can barely handle it. cause theyre so thin and flimsy. idk thats just me. reynolds feels the same thats why he made his pro trucks gravity cast and i think grant taylor feels it too

theyre good trucks but compared to thunder and even to my personal opinion theeve, in the long run thunder, indy, and theeve would hold up better cause the royals have a little clearance and grind good but if your killing grinds and skating curbs and rough ledges on a daily dont get them. youll hit kingpin in no time.

here my review/opinion on them
-stable quick turn almost like thunder
-quick pop response
-grinds smooth
-kinda light actually so flip tricks are easy
-very similar to thunder but with a more snappy lighter quick pop

all in all they feel good but i wouldnt say theyre worth it if your looking for a truck to last you like a year or longer

yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 05:40:04 AM »
Does anyone know where I can find out the height of the lows? According to tactics, venture lows are 48, royal lows are 50 ( yet royal highs are 50.5?!)

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 06:12:08 AM »
Does anyone know where I can find out the height of the lows? According to tactics, venture lows are 48, royal lows are 50 ( yet royal highs are 50.5?!)
the highs are higher than 50,5, I don't have the mm's, but they're very close to theeve, venture hi etc

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 08:53:46 AM »
I like Tactics but they have some dodgy sizing some times.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 04:55:14 AM »

This dude is a truck maniac: http://skateboardingismylifetimesport.blogspot.com

This is a chart he made containing most trucks on the market: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13rCMIthFb59Y-xrveasWk4GqR9jgd85fXDCIFm3g15I/edit

Royal low: 46mm

Royal high: 50.5mm
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 04:57:35 AM by Deekay »

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 08:15:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is a chart he made containing most trucks on the market: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13rCMIthFb59Y-xrveasWk4GqR9jgd85fXDCIFm3g15I/edit

Thanks for turning me on to that chart! Exactly what I need, turns out I might be a venture man  :)

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 12:44:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for turning me on to that chart! Exactly what I need, turns out I might be a venture man  :)

No problem!

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 09:21:36 AM »
That info is crazy awesome. Bookmarked that.

I got Venture trucks for the moment but I'm probably going to try royal for Xmas.  I went with what's familiar for this season (for autumn, I didn't wanna try something new just in case). But I do want to give them a shot.  I love indys but in watching old footage of myself, I saw that all of my best stuff - I was riding ventures. So going with these for now.

Has anyone tried those inverted kingpin royals yet? Are those still a thing or did Mariano leave Royal as well? I read conflicting info on thay

HaveFunSkateboarding

• Rep: 20
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 01:34:51 PM »
I've been skating a pair of the newest version of Royal's for a while now (granted I'm old and don't skate as much as a lot of you young bucks) but I'm digging them. I like them because they're a lot lower than most trucks. I always skated Indy's before these (Thunder's before those). I'll probably stick with these for a while now.
Also, in reference to "not even their team riders skate them." Last summer at the Lakai/Emerica tour I saw Carroll and Hsu both skating them first hand, which is what got me to give them a chance myself. I'm glad I did.