Author Topic: Reykjavik  (Read 1308 times)

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Reykjavik
« on: October 12, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »
I'm going to be visiting Reykjavik in February 2017 for a few days. While most of it will be for a metal festival, any recommendations on places to go to, eat at, or find Icelandic women looking for tourists would be appreciated.  And of course, if any pals live there and want to try to meet up for a beer or something, let me know!

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
Re: Reykjavik
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 11:56:31 AM »
I'm going to be visiting Reykjavik in February 2017 for a few days. While most of it will be for a metal festival, any recommendations on places to go to, eat at, or find Icelandic women looking for tourists would be appreciated.  And of course, if any pals live there and want to try to meet up for a beer or something, let me know!

I'm going there next month and would stoked for some recommendations as well, especially for places to stay or eat. Trying to plan the route now, but basically starting in Reykjavik then heading out in a rent a van. Probably not skating. Gonna be there for 2 weeks or so.

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 12:03:43 AM »

You have any luck? How was your time there?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 02:16:24 PM »
Flying back to the London from the US at the end of March and spending a few days in Iceland on the way. Skateboarding is pretty low priority but I'll have my board... anything worth seeking out, depending on the weather of course...?

Otherwise, what do I do, apart from the usual touristy stuff the wife and daughter will have planned?

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 03:58:06 PM »
Flying back to the London from the US at the end of March and spending a few days in Iceland on the way. Skateboarding is pretty low priority but I'll have my board... anything worth seeking out, depending on the weather of course...?

Otherwise, what do I do, apart from the usual touristy stuff the wife and daughter will have planned?

Went there for my Honeymoon. Went to an art museum in downtown Reykjavik, ate fresh fish the whole time & honestly just enjoyed wandering around. I’d say get lost & walk around downtown then drive some of the Golden Circle.

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 03:58:45 PM »

these were entertaining :)

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 09:55:08 PM »

Ah shit - I did a night trip to go see auroras, did a trip to the Blue Lagoon, and a Golden Circle day trip, all via Viatour.

Definitely try to pick up food from grocery stores if you'll be there several days. Get stuff for sandwiches, sodas / waters, snacks, etc. because everything is quite expensive in Iceland. You'll save a lot of money by bringing two sandwiches, a bag of chips, and a Coke as your lunch on a day trip and then supplementing that with some little snacks.

Here are some other stuff:
-Húrra: Dive bar where I went to a metal festival and the bar itself was cool (Tryggvagata 22)

-Mikkeller & Friends: beer bar with Pizza with No Name Restaurant in same building (Hverfisgata 12)

-Skúli: craft beer bar with happy hour from 2pm-7pm (Ađalstrćti 9)

-MicroBar: craft beer bar, try the stout from Gćđingur, happy hour from 5pm-7pm (Vesturgata 2, under Reykjavik Restaurant)

-Snaps Bistro (Ţórsgata 1)

-The Laundromat Café (Austurstrćti 9)

-Vegamót Bistro (Vegamótastígur 4)

-Ostabúđin Fish and Soup (Skólavörđustíg 8)

-Sjávarbarinn: endless fish, soup, and salad for lunch (Grandagarđur 9)

-Prikiđ: Iceland's oldest café with big burgers and fries for cheap (Bankastrćti 12)

-Lebowski Bar (Laugavegur 20a) - neat and silyl but expensive

-Kaldi Bar (Laugavegur 20b)

-Stofan: cafe good to read in (Vesturgata 3)

-Bar 7: cheap (Frakkastígur 7)

-Paloma: next to Húrra, voted best place to end the night

-Forréttabarinn: tapas and voted best happy hour from 4pm-8pm (Nýlendugata 14)

-Kaffibarinn: happy hour from 3pm-8pm (Bergstađastrćti 1)

-Reykjavik Roasters: great coffee shop, one of which is right by Hallgrimskirkja (Kárastígur 1 & Braitarholt 2) - I highly recommend here

-Ölstofa Kormákd og Skjaldar: also just called "Ölstofan," a low-key, artsy place that's a favorite of locals; friendly clientele the Friday night I went out here to party and reasonable prices for beer (Vegamótastig 4)

-Apotek: fancy experimental restaurant opened by a chef who used to work at elBulli; expensive but you can get the lunch special/happy hour and it's a much better price; gorgeous space (Austurstrćri 16)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 07:23:01 AM by oyolar »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 09:10:42 AM »
Thanks! I'm currently dry so not sure how much boozing I'll be doing but appreciate the recommendations.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 07:28:04 AM »
Ah sorry - I went in my mid-20s so wanted to party haha. The downtown is very walkable and you’ll come across galleries and shops pretty easily. I definitely recommend looking into stuff like Vitour for day trips. Like I said, I used them and there were a bunch of options and it was very easy to set up.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 08:46:12 AM »
Reykjavik is cool but as others have said, I highly recommend you take a tour or even better rent a vehicle (expensive but worthwhile IMO) and get out of the city to explore—you don’t go to Iceland to see Reykjavik, you go to Reykjavik to see Iceland; it is like another planet. I went in 2013 and am hoping that I’ll return in the next year or two. Also again as others have said, absolutely buy groceries.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E